The Top Five... Batman games on Nintendo consoles

In honour of the The Dark Knight Rises, Gav lists his favourite outings for the Big Bad Bat

The legends ends today. Or tomorrow. Or Wednesday, depending on when you read this. Regardless of which day you cast your peepers over this, The Dark Knight Rises marks the end of Christopher Nolan's Batman saga and I thought, "what better time to crack out some love for the caped crusader than today?"

With that in mind, here's my pick of the top Batman games ever to grace a Nintendo console:

Batman, NES

So Batman may have looked like a strutting purple gargoyle in this side-scrolling platformer but, for a movie tie-in, this one definitely had its merits. The wall-climbing and batarang features made this shoddy-looking action title really stick out amongst the horde of other tie-ins (there were 5) that were flung out alongside Tim Burton's original movie.

Batman Brave & the Bold, Wii

I was a huge fan of the Brave and the Bold cartoon and was happy to see the really campy, groan-inducing jokes making their over from the series to this game. The art style was simple but the cut scenes and dialogue really carried this game and as cape mechanics go, this one's The Godfather of flying cloth.

Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, Wii, 3DS, DS

It seemed pretty alien to me when I first heard Lego Batman talk but who amongst you has never picked up a Lego piece and given him a gruff little voice? Anyone? Just me then. Despite being a Lego Batman game, this has probably one of the coolest Superman sequences in all of videogames. Take note, Superman 64!

Batman Returns, SNES

This game was unanimously the favourite of everyone in the office. It's essentially Street of Rage/Final Fight but with Batman and more ridiculous looking goons than a Skrillex gig. Bats is still a sight to behold even all these years later and the midi version of Danny Elfman's score will put a smile on an chiptune-loving hipster's mug. We're still a little bit in love with the level where you get to drive the Batmobile, even though it's actually a bit duff. With that in mind, if anyone out there is listening, how about a Batman Kart racing game? You know you want it.

Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition, Wii U

OK, so it might not have been released yet but from what we've played so far, this is shaping up to be one of the early hits on the Wii U. I've personally played it through to the end on the PS3 and the storyline is deeper than a million bat caves. With all the added Wii U gamepad mechanics, if you haven't played any of Rocksteady's amazing Arkham games, chill yer boots because this is shaping up to be the definitive version of Arkham City.

If you want to see what all the fuss is about, check out this video from our friends at CVG who've recut The Dark Knights Rises trailer using footage from Arkham Asylum & Arkham City:

Which Batman games have we criminally overlooked? What're your favourite Batman games?

Comments

1. Shinnos Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 14:52

I'd add The Adventures of Batman & Robin on the SNES based on the animated series.

2. ledreppe Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 15:01

Batman on the NES and LEGO Batman 2 are the only ones in that list I've played. The nostalgia is rushing throuh my head as I remember back to the NES one. I remember it being quite difficult, still can't remember if I finished it or not, but good game anyway.

3. GavONM Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 16:12

@Shinnos That was so close to making the list! Good shout.

4. adamguy Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 17:08

But Armoured Edition is shaping up to be the WORST version of Arkham City

5. mattym727 Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 18:08

But Armoured Edition is shaping up to be the WORST version of Arkham City

Why might I ask?

6. adamguy Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 18:58

But Armoured Edition is shaping up to be the WORST version of Arkham City

Why might I ask?

Because it's taking a game that works, incredibly well might I add, and adding unnecesary controls to it. When I'm playing the game, why would I want to touch the screen to control the batarang, when I can already control it with an analogue stick?
    Why would I want to wave around my controller to look at the enviroment, when I can just push the button? Admittedly, this release does include B.A.T., which on the surface looks like a neat little addition. However, this also required touchpad control, which just takes the player right out of the experience, as they have to fumble about with the new gimmicks that come with the console. Not to mention by the time this comes out, the GOTY edition of Arkham City will already be released, which includes extra characters and episodes.

Would I rather play the version with sensible additions to an untampered formula, or the one trying to stuff gimmicks down my throat?

7. Zenuous Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 19:36

Why might I ask?

Well if you already own the game, why are you complaining about this one? Some people do like the touch screen controls you know. And besides, there's always the option they'd add which allows for analogue control instead.

8. adamguy Friday 20th Jul 2012 at 20:30

I was merely debating the fact that onm said it was the "definitive version" when it clearly isn't, the definitive version would be the GOTY edition. Also, touch controls are perfectly fine, when they are a core part of the gameplay. The thing is, in this case the inclusion of them seems very arbritary and forced, with many previews having said that they actively make the game worse. Seeing as they're going to have analogue controls anyway, which I thank you for pointing out by the way, they could have spent the time adding new areas or missions to the game. Instead they've included an inferior control system to a year old game, after an improved version was released mind you, and are selling it as brand new.

9. MartinIsAwesome Saturday 21st Jul 2012 at 08:00

Shame this only encompases Nintendo games, as the only Batman title for me is the Master System Batman Returns. I mean, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aeOQtOY9g4
    You will have that music in your head ALL. DAY. LONG. (It was composed my Sega maestro Yuzo Koshiro.)

10. hamzahdsi Saturday 21st Jul 2012 at 09:40

This will be the top Batman game on a Nintendo console:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRr6JG15RK4

11. GavONM Saturday 21st Jul 2012 at 10:36

@adamguy Have you played the Wii U edition yet? I've played it the preview a number of times now.
    I'm a huge fan of Rocksteady's games and whilst I'm not fond of developers adding unnecessary mechanics into a game just to sell the same product as "new", this isn't what Rocksteady have done.
    Armoured Edition's new controls and features really do add to Arkham City. The remote explosives makes you feel like you're actually in control of what you're blowing up and it adds a new element of tactic to fighting.
    The remote batarang is also way more accurate than using analogue sticks in my opinion.

12. adamguy Saturday 21st Jul 2012 at 20:34

@Gav Admittedly, I've only played the original release of Arkham City, and have only read previews so far concerning the Armoured Edition. Although some previews I have read have been rather contrary to yours, I respect your opinion and hope I don't come across as saying it is wrong. Although I do think that they do seem rather insubstantial. Even if the Remote Batarang is more acurate using the motion controls, it was only ever used rarely in the game in certain sections. It may add something to the game, but making about 10 minutes total play more precise when they were fine in the first place doesn't seem like a big addition to be honest. It's not even viable in combat. You COULD hit them from afar with the Remote Batarang, or you could just throw a regular one and get the same result. The enemies are pretty weak anyway, so you could just drop down out of the sky and get an immediate takedown anyway. I suppose it could be viable in some of the stealth sections, but again, I rarely came across a point where it would be particulary useful to do so.

The remote detonation of the explosive gel does sound pretty useful, but again this included perfectly fine in the original release anyway. You were able to aim at the explosive you want and press the button, without having to look away from the screen might I add. It would surely be less engrossing to look away from the action and instead look at the controller to perfrom this simple action? Besides, when an enemy walks over the Gel they explode anyway, you don't even need to detonate them remotely unless you're trying to collapse a wall or something.

When this is being released after the GOTY edition, which contains more content and costs less money, I do think it counts as selling an inferior version of the same game.

13. HyrulianToad Saturday 21st Jul 2012 at 22:04

went to the movie premiere on friday . the film started badly and then got better . anyway out of these i've played 4 yay !!!!!

14. dave666 Sunday 22nd Jul 2012 at 00:48

@gavONM

why didn't you include batman begins on the gamecube that game was fantastic and deserves a place in the best batman games ever let alone the nintendo ones.

@adamguy

dude,I think your being way to harsh on a game you have not even played yet.you could say the same thing about ocarina of time on the 3DS and compare it to the N64 version,but I'm sure that most would agree that the 3DS version is better.

same with RE4 wii edition,again motion controls made it the definitive version.

It sounds to me like you just wanna jump on the hate wagon,also every person that played the demo at E3 said it was very good so I dunno what previews you have read that said it was worse that the PS360 versions ??

15. adamguy Sunday 22nd Jul 2012 at 01:27

@dave Ocarina 3D was an improvement over the original, in that it was essentially a remake. It improved the inventory, the graphics and included Master Quest. It's new additions improved the core experience.

Resident Evil 4 included a control scheme that improved on the core gameplay, because it was completely non-intrusive and felt natural. In Arkham City Armoured edition, the different control schemes means you will be constantly halting the gameplay to pick up your controller, or looking away from the game so that you can do something else. It could make the player feel less engrossed in the game. Not to mention it features little else new except this. What I'm really trying to point out is that better versions of the game will be available for cheaper. Resident Evil was available at a budget price. Legend of Zelda was £35, which isn't too bad for a first-party nintendo game. This has a rrp of £45 at the moment, whilst the version with more content will cost £35 two months earlier.

I'll be honest, the only website which gave bad previews I have seen was Destructoid, where most of the editors seem to dislike the new control options. However, if you said "everyone" liked it, then I'm wondering why you think a hate wagon exists for it? I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad game, it's still essentially Arkham City which was great. But the additions seem pretty minimal, the price is very high, and it shall indeed be worse than the GOTY editions which shall be available on PS360.

16. dave666 Sunday 22nd Jul 2012 at 20:13

I take your point and in the end I think it will just come down to preference. I don't know if this is true or not but I heard that the armoured edition will include all the DLC released for the game so far,so at the very least im sure it will be as good as the GOTY edition.and having the map on the controler is pretty handy I mean come on even you gotta admit that much.

the hate wagon I speak of is all the people that are commenting on web sites and youtube saying it looks sh*t.

these people really irritate me because they have not even tried it and simply hate it because it's on a nintendo console.I bet if it had psmove support everyone would be saying how great it looks.