5 cheapest places to buy a 3DS XL

Where you should shop for your 3DS XL

3DS XL is released in the UK on Saturday 28 July and if you haven't already placed your pre-order, here are the 5 cheapest price deals on offer.

1) PIXMania: £167.20

2) The Hut: £167.95

3) Grainger Games: £168.99

4 =) Amazon, GAME, GameStation, Play.com: All £174.99

Nintendo don't set the 3DS XL price as they leave all that to the individual retailers. Prices range from £167.20 (PIXMania) to £179.99 (Sainsbury's, Blockbuster) so, as you can see, the fact that the pricing is left to the retailers is a good thing as it can mean cheaper deals for you.

Loading video...

Want to find out why you should buy a 3DS XL? Our 3DS XL review will tell you why.

Here are 5 3DS games that are better on 3DS XL.

[ Source: CVG ]

Comments

1. torterratrainer Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 10:27

but than i would need to buy a new case, new circle pad pro (not for resi {finished it} but for MH), transfer the memory from my previous 3DS and the ambassador games.

and to top that all off my 3DS for some reason has scratches where the paint has cracked on the a,b,x,y,d-pad buttons meaning i cant sell it

i dont throw it around i practically cradle it when street passing because i'm paranoid that my family will ground me for months if someone steals it or i lose it. :(

...wah

2. GamerZA Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 10:48

I preordered my 3DS XL at Tesco where I got the 3DS XL, a charger and Mario and Sonic 3DS all for £188. Good deal if you ask me.

They also sell the 3DS XL at £174.99

3. Herbert_Rarr Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 11:19

I'm a bit like that: I always keep my 3DS in my front trouser pocket and keep my hand on it almost all the time when I'm out. But I've kept mine in almost pristine condition (except for the little stylus scratches on the touch screen, but I've got a cloth for that) :P
    But back on subject, I also like how Nintendo haven't set the price for the XL over here, but it annoys me how the cheapest prices are on internet sites I've never heard of, and I don't entirely trust buying things on the internet from sites I'm unsure of. I prefer to buy things in store (GAME or Gamestation mainly) but they are usually more expensive than online. If I were to buy an XL, I would get it from GAME. They sometimes have offers in store and I can get some XP points as well.
    But I'm still saving for a Wii U, so I'm really tight for money.

4. Herbert_Rarr Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 11:42

For those of you who have read my previous comment on 'Why I'm buying a 3DS XL', (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=92881) you will know that I criticized it as being ugly and pointless. But recently I played on one in a GAME store near me, and it has completely changed my mind. The matte surfaces on the inside look really nice and smooth, and the LEDs look muck better with this surface than the ones from the regular 3DS would. And this goes better with the colour scheme on the outside than I had thought. It's slim and comfortable and much easier to fit in your pocket than I thought (maybe because I had big pockets) and the chunkier Start, Select and Home buttons fit in well with the styling. Then you get to the screen. . . well, it's just amazing. It's huge and nearly fills your field of view, making you feel much more immersed in the game. The graphics don't look any worse after being stretched out and the 3D effect if greatly magnified.
    I don't think it's pointless any more, but I do still think Nintendo should have made it a little more advanced than the 3DS, just to add to the allure.
    It is so much different playing on the actual thing than looking at a picture, and if you're unsure whether or not to buy one, I urge you to try one in store - it will make up your mind.

5. Cave_dweller Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 11:56

I got my 3DS XL ordered online from Sainsburys Entertainment, and with a promocode SECOSOMO, got it for £161 roughly. But I really wouldn't recomend ordering from there: although mine has been seemingly dispatched without any trouble, another forum member has only just recieved word that the XL that he ordered weeks ago is no longer available and so won't be dispatched. Also I've heard other complaints about Sainsburys Entertainment online. Now I just hope mine makes it here in one piece.

6. cloudyboy Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 12:12

I'll be getting one as my 3DS was stolen last month. Its a real shame as I probably wouldn't of bought one if I still had my old one. Lost so many downloaded games and Ambassador games because of that... :(

7. toffeeman30 Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 12:15

new 3ds xl trade in for old 79.99. GAMEdigital.

8. Cave_dweller Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 12:20

Was it registered to a Club Nintendo account? Because if it was, there are ways you can redownload some of those games with a little help from Nintendo. Although I don't know the details as I've never done it, I'm pretty sure there are people on the fourms who have. and should be willing to help.

9. allanironmaiden Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 13:00

ummm i got mine today at HMV silverburn....27th.....not 28th july

got it for 179, and got a FREE charger with it at purchase, good deal

also going to trade in my old 3DS later today after i do the system transfer, HMV are offering 85 quid store credit or 65 pounds cash

10. IamtheAntiLife Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 13:03

I'm really tempted by Games offer. Trade in your 3DS and get the 3DS XL and charger for £79 then I have a £20 additional trade in value voucher. I read on a website (but tbh I think this is total rubbish) that Game let you take both consoles home to perform a system transfer. I can't see that being true and I don't really think I have anything on there I want to transfer anyway.

11. TheNUKEnukeM Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 13:20

Im thinking about the GAME offer- and trade in some games to reach the £80. However I'm gonna get a quote from CeX before I go straight to game because of GAME Trade-In Price Promise. But Im not sure if I want to. I copyed all the data from my 3DS SD card on to my computer. Would it just be a simple as copying all of it back on to the new memory card I will I need to do system transfer. Because I think I tried it with the wiis SD Card and it was having none of it.

12. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 13:35

i feel ur pain - i had my first wii stolen - also i've had 4 - nintendo should give the ambassador's a discount - feel's like where being stroked - but it does look nice ?

13. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 13:42

also i'll wait to see how it will connect with wiiU before even thinking about getting 1 - hopefully the price will be lower by then ?

14. Herbert_Rarr Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 13:49

Another thing: I've grown attached to my 3DS. I've only had it since October, but I get this way with my stuff - I've still got my first Gameboy Advance SP from when I was eight with all the games I bought for it plus all the accessories in an old original Gameboy case. . . and two Gamecubes with three controllers, games, the GBA - GC link cable and a Gameboy Player.
    Either that or I'm a hoarder...

15. chun-liisgr8init Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 14:25

Got a silver XL today with new art academy and charger for £209 from game, I had £191 on my store card + £20 deposit allready paid so didn't have to hand over any cash :D . Also recieved a red XL from zavvi this morning for £167 + 4.95 express delivery, had to pay with real money :( . Very pleased with both does not hurt my eyes so much!

16. sciqueen Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 14:28

If you preorder from Tesco and use the code that appears on the page, you get 15% off! The total price is about £150! Not that I think that it's ok to buy consoles from supermarkets lol but this is an upgrade of another console so I think we can make an exception!

Anyway, I'm waiting for a special edition 3DS XL lol

17. Herbert_Rarr Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 15:00

Got a silver XL today with new art academy and charger for £209 from game... Also recieved a red XL from zavvi

Two of them? :?

18. antgreenfield Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 16:09

Not rubbish at all. Both Game & Gamestation will let you buy a new system upfront, take it home to perform a system transfer and then take the receipt for the XL back instore (Within 7 days I believe) with your old 3DS & refund you with £100 in whichever way you paid for the XL originally. I did this exact thing this very morning and now have a gorgeous new red XL with all my games and ambassador titles intact from my old 3DS :)

19. Darklord101 Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 17:04

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in prices for major retailers. I won't be getting one anyway and would rather save up for a wii u later this year.

20. DynamicPunch202 Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 18:51

You think your paranoid? I never take my 3DS out of the house for more 2 minuites and I think that if someone sees it, they willl imediatley mug me (As a result, I only have one streetpass :oops: ) . Anyway, my weirdness aside, I'm probably not going to get a 3DS XL, because theres nothing wrong with my normal 3DS, and I've never been a big fan of the XL consoles.

21. me4ndubz Friday 27th Jul 2012 at 21:59

...wah

the finish on the 3ds comes off really easily. mine was already peeling after having it for 3 months

22. ihuntermusic Saturday 28th Jul 2012 at 00:29

Definitely true. I e-mailed GAME yesterday and this is what they said:

I can confirm that the price you will pay for the Nintendo 3DS XL with AC adapter will be £79.99 when you trade in any Nintendo 3DS.
    We know that some customers are keen to transfer their data from their 3DS to the XL and we have a process in place for this. Unfortunately we will not be able to offer data migration in store, but you can purchase the 3DS XL, take it home and transfer your data, then bring your old 3DS back to us and we will apply the trade in price. Please note that you have two weeks from the purchase of the 3DS XL to transfer the data and redeem the trade in offer.

T&Cs:

Offer ends 09/08/2012. Limited Offer while stocks last. £79.99 is the price of Nintendo 3DS XL + AC Adaptor bundle when you trade in a Nintendo 3DS Console and the trade in value is deducted from the selling price of the Nintendo 3DS XL + AC Adaptor bundle. Nintendo 3DS XL console does not include AC Adaptor. This is sold separately. Trade-in offer only applies when the trade-in console and Nintendo 3DS XL + AC Adaptor bundle purchase occurs in the same transaction. To trade in; all consoles must be in original packaging, in good working order and of satisfactory quality. Imported consoles/games are excluded from Trade-ins. Cash trade-in value may vary. Ask staff for details. Trade in offers are open to members of the public only and GAME reserves the right to refuse any offer to anyone believed to be representing a trade buyer. The Managers decision is final. This offer can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers in store. This does not affect your statutory rights.

23. hufmeister Saturday 28th Jul 2012 at 08:43

Got any info in prices for Ireland?I googled it,couldn't find anything

24. RainbowGazelle Saturday 28th Jul 2012 at 15:39

I got mine from Asda for £169.

25. Finfin Wednesday 1st Aug 2012 at 08:22

Ouch, in France, the price for the 3DS XL is 150£/190€, even on online shops. All European 3DS and games are compatibles, import may be the best solution.

26. declan.west Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 19:14

Tesco have it for £158.00

27. Super llama bro Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 13:03

I wasn't thinking of getting this at all, but now im having second thoughts. Sometimes my L button doesnt work and now the gyro wont work at all :cry: only problem is i feel if i sell it or something i will start to miss playing it. When i was getting my 3ds i traded in my ds lite and now i start to miss playing it and now i cant play gb games either :(

28. KairiZero Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 07:13

Unfortunately for me, I already have a 3DS, and the idea of an upgrade just doesn't do it for me, mine is still very shiny, and very functional - its perfect! I don't feel the need to spend another £170 right at this minute, especially not after shelling out on the Wii U Zombi U premium, and a new tv to play it on Q_Q

My poor bank :(