Smash Bros Wii U may not feature more non-Nintendo characters

Sakurai wants to 'narrow down' the roster

Namco Bandai's Yoshito Higuchi would love a Tales character to appear in Smash Bros Wii U but it seems that Masahiro Sakurai is cool on the prospect of featuring non-Nintendo characters in the next Smash Bros game.

Super Smash Bros Brawl introduced Konami's Solid Snake and Sega's Sonic The Hedgehog but it seems that their appearance could be a one off.

"I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic," Smash Bros creator Sakurai told IGN. "It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena. However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."

Recently, Sakurai said that Nintendo may have reached its limit in terms of character numbers with Brawl, suggesting that Smash Bros Wii U may not feature more characters.

Comments

1. TomMc92 Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 07:57

That's perfectly understandable and im fine with the roster being the same size as on Brawl. I know Sonic and Snake weren't the favorites of many but i still enjoyed playing as them. But could he be saying this to put people off the idea of non nintendo characters then before the release annouce that there will be some. I saw this article on the CVG website yesterday ONM, im fine with no tekken characters as they really don't appeal to me at all to be in smash bros 4. But i know people wanted Tales characters in the game, one in particular keeps popping up wherever i go, so you never know it really is to early to tell if he will or not. Im sure even if he adds one non nintendo character that'll keep people happy. I for one am looking forward to see a few new Nintendo characters over these non Nintendo ones, come on Little Mac.

2. King-X Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 08:14

A narrower roster may be favourable if in turn the game gains in other categories such as movesets. If the game has fewer characters, all of which I've played as before and all of which do exactly what they've already done for 3 games and nothing more, then I'm going to be bored.

That aside, the main thing for me is that Pitt stays in.

3. nintendorulz Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 08:32

I agree. Super Smash Bros, has always been a celebration of Nintendo's rich history - and to add third part characters "willy-nilly" as Sakurai says would ruin the experience somewhat

4. conn1496 Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 08:44

To be honest, as long as the game is good and the roster isn't ruined, I'm OK with it.

5. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 09:23

Surely just one more third party character would be okay though. I really want Lloyd Irving to get added, even if it means getting rid of Snake (although he would be missed).

6. shy guy 64 Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 09:37

i would not be upset if there where no 3rd party characters at all

besides who was daft enough to think they where going to have a lot of 3rd party characters

7. sciqueen Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 09:54

We want Banjo-Kazooie! :(

8. Targey Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 10:05

Aye, it would be nice to have Namco Bandai in there somewhere, seeing as they are co-developing the game.

9. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 10:24

No, they shouldn't add new characters 'willy-nilly', but they should add new characters. The third party characters in Brawl were some of my favourites (SONIC :mrgreen:), and a wider range of characters from different games or game series that are not entirely Nintendo will give Smash Bros. Wii U a wider appeal to people who haven't played any of the series yet. It will interest people when they see their favourite characters on the game packaging, hopefully making them want to buy the game. It will also vary the gameplay (as long as they don't have tonnes of clones like in Brawl) having so many different characters with different move-sets and preferences, making it easier for everyone to find a character they like.
    Obviously, these characters shouldn't be just random ones from kind of well known games, but popular characters from well known games. And they should have a Nintendo connection.
    And it does take time and resources to develop the characters, but they could just do something like they did in Mario Tennis Open and have new unlockable characters as a sort of DLC after release.

10. Latte Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 11:20

they should be assist trophies then, not characters

11. Darkblizz Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 11:23

Is this really such a bad thing?

12. CyberGW Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 11:37

I certainly see what he's talking about. We need to keep it a Nintendo game.
    So less third party more first party! Sounds good to me!

13. Samster296 Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 12:01

Sonic wasn't a very good character. I think he was rushed, he was too fast, weak and didn't have many finishing moves. But he was fun to play. Snake was a good character though. I hope they include a third party character in the new Smash Bros.

14. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 12:12

Sonic was by far my favourite character. He was stupidly fast, but that's the point - he's Sonic. I've heard lots of people criticize Sonic in Brawl, "He's not a Nintendo character", "He's too fast", "He's too weak". But if he was fast and powerful, then people would complain he was overpowered, or if he was slow and powerful then it wouldn't be Sonic. To me he was a unique and important character who should definitely return in Smash Bros. for Wii U.

15. smashbros-kid Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 12:21

The impression I got reading the original article on IGN was not so much Sakurai is ruling out any more 3rd party characters but that he's not going to throw 3-4 Namco characters in for the sake of it. We might see one or two but I doubt we'll see Pac-Man, Heihachi and Lloyd in the same game, likely just the former.

16. Skywardwolf23 Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 13:03

Just one more third party character. Sakari please.

17. Tazer_Silverscar Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 14:14

That aside, the main thing for me is that Pitt stays in.

Sakurai has already confirmed he doesn't want the system to change much in terms of gameplay, so a moveset change would be odd. Levelling the playing field would be nice though. Pit was massively broken, if you played him right. His attacks interupt nearly everyone elses, and the huge shield was ridiculous.

Agreed. One or two Namco characters (I'd like Yuri Lowell!) in favour of the other 3rd party characters (who's companies I might add are NOT contributing to the project!) shouldn't break it though.

I dunno about missing him myself. Mines and rocket launchers didn't really feel right, especially as Snake has been with the Devils at Sony for a long time.

i would not be upset if there where no 3rd party characters at all

I wouldn't either, but if they are gonna leave them out, then more characters should be brought in, like Isaac from Golden Sun!

We want Banjo-Kazooie! :(

Don't be silly, Rare abandoned Nintendo years ago.

I certainly see what he's talking about. We need to keep it a Nintendo game.
    So less third party more first party! Sounds good to me!

Well, I wouldn't bin all 3rd party influence though. After all, Namco are a big contributor to the project.

18. LewiiG Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 14:18

I get that, but it would be nice if Sonic stayed at least. I doubt he will now though. But oh well, like I still play melee for Mewtwo, I'll still play Brawl for Sonic (Even though I still play both anyway).

19. King-X Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 14:56

I just gave movesets as a quick example. It may not have been a good one. The initial point is that I don't want it to be merely playing the same game again with just different stages and stuff. There're numerous ways of keeping it fresh and yet keeping the core the same. Long story short I want to be able to look forward to something.

And by all means "fix" Pitt. Keep the flying though...

20. HyrulianToad Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 15:29

Come on Professor Layton !!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

21. Dertdood Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 15:38

sakurai wtf u doin

22. SonyX Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 18:56

this is both good and bad news for me
    the good side is that pacman wont appear in next game
    but the bad side is my favarite character,sonic,will be gone.oh well,at least i'll get to play as pit,ness and kirby

23. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 8th Aug 2012 at 19:16

it would be nice if Sonic stayed

the bad side is my favarite character,sonic,will be gone

Sonic wasn't a very good character. But he was fun to play

Someone should start a petition to save Sonic's place in SSB4. ONM, little help? (cute cat face)

24. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 9th Aug 2012 at 10:42

this is both good and bad news for me
    the good side is that pacman wont appear in next game

He hasn't said that third-party characters are banned or anything. Sakurai merely said that he doesn't want too many third-party characters. You know, like a sensible person would say.

25. Oocoo Jr. Thursday 9th Aug 2012 at 13:14

I'm fine with this, as what I'm really hoping for are two or three huge surprise announcements of characters from Nintendo's own stock. Personally, I'm hoping for Groose from Skyward Sword, but I have no idea what his moveset would be.

26. SonyX Thursday 9th Aug 2012 at 21:34

it would be nice if Sonic stayed

the bad side is my favarite character,sonic,will be gone

Sonic wasn't a very good character. But he was fun to play

your right,sonic should stay and lots people hate his moveset,why?sonic had a great moveset there was only one bad thing was two of sonics move did the spindash but they were slightly different.
    (by the way thanks for quoting my comment)

27. Kirby8 Thursday 9th Aug 2012 at 23:42

I think it was more of a shame when he said the roster would not increase. But I suppose it's understandable, as just how big can the roster be. I do agree that characters should definitely not be added Willy-nilly! They should be thought hard about and should make a proper contribution. But I do think a few 3rd party characters, as well as a few different 1st party characters, could be added. And if you are trying to keep the roster the same size more or less, then it's time to take a long hard look at the current characters and change some. Some for a few different 1st party and some for some 3rd parties. Suggestion no. 1, Jigglypuff. I mean seriously? Pokémon Trainer should have replaced Jigglypuff, not been another character. A couple of 3rd party characters from Namco-Bandai would be interesting, since they are co-developing, but yes, don't be willy-nilly and add for the sake of it. I would really love to see some 3rd party characters from franchises that are close to Nintendo (meaning their games are nearly exclusive to nintendo consoles and have great fanbases there), like Layton, Phoenix, etc. (remember, I said nearly. I'm aware they have games on iOS). The likelihood is, understandably, low, but would be great nonetheless.

28. darkpittoo Saturday 11th Aug 2012 at 17:54

i know what he's getting at because heel have to buy the rights for the other characters. however, if they did add more characters, i need to see amaterasu(okami), victini(pkmn b+w), shulk(xenoblade), shadow(his own game) and perhaps a final fantasy character. oh, and some of the bad guys like fawlfawl (wrong spelling, sorry) from mario and luigi superstar saga and akuro(wolf+kuni form) from okamiden hes so awsome!

29. LavaTwilight Sunday 19th Aug 2012 at 20:43

I'm more than happy to return SSB back to Nintendo-exclusive characters however I think Sonic is a good choice to retain a non-Nintendo character too, if they were to do so. I think because he was such a prominent rival in the megadrive/genesis days and has always been a strong competitor for Mario. Plus I think Pacman deserves a shoe-in too. It'll be ideal if they leave it there. Unless they want to include Simon Belmont from Castlevania... lol :roll:

30. Nelsonator15 Sunday 19th Aug 2012 at 21:49

One more third-party character would be nice, especially if it's one from a series known for being primarily on Nintendo consoles. Amaterasu from Okami would be a good example because the Okami series, despite beginning on the PS2, is currently on Nintendo systems as of Okamiden.

In the end, though, I won't mind too much. More than anything I'd want Yarn Kirby to appear, and being a first-party character he's surely got a good chance, right? :D

31. snacob Wednesday 31st Oct 2012 at 20:04

I think a character they should introduce is Majora's Mask Link. It could be done very much like Pokemon Trainer, switching between Deku Link, Goron Link, and Zora Link. For a smash attack, they could use Fierce Deity Link. And maybe they could throw in Majora's Mask as an assist trophy. Idk, just my opinion. I would love to see that happen.