Metroid: Team Ninja would like to work with Sakamoto again

Metroid Other M developers keen to get inviolved with Nintendo

Metroid: Other M developers Team Ninja are interested in working with Nintendo's Yoshio Sakamoto again. That's the word from Yosuke Hayashi who also produced Dead Or Alive Dimensions for 3DS.

Team Ninja worked with Sakamoto on the Wii game Metroid: Other M and although it's fair to say that Other M split opinion amongst the fans, Hayashi told VG247 that he'd like to work with the Metroid co-creator again.

Asked if Metroid Other M 2 would be a possibility, Hayasahi said: "Unfortunately Metroid is kind of out of our league as it's Nintendo's game, but we're still in close touch with co-creator Sakamoto-san, so we want to do something with him moving forward definitely. It really depends on what he wants to do with the game first."

What sort of Metroid game would you like to be released next? A Metroid Prime-style 3D adventure or a Super Metroid-style game.

Comments

1. torterratrainer Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 08:26

Other M was my first metroid game - following that prime hunters and it was one of the MOST EPIC GAMES ON WII!!!! :P

why are people split on opinion when Samus can due an almost halo esq assassination on some weird chameleon thing...

2. yubel Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 08:42

As Nintendo's first HD console, I feel that a fourth instalment of Metroid Prime is justified. Wherever the series goes next though, I expect it to be a game which showcases the system's true power.

I wouldn't say no to a 3DS title, but I'd much prefer a Wii-U outing.

3. mario galaxy101 Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 08:52

I hope they an Other M style game, it was much better than MP Trilogy and was very underrated.

4. Guwuh Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 08:58

god no, Other M is an affront to gaming.

5. MartinIsAwesome Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 09:08

The only major problem I had with Other M was that it just didn't last long enough. The gameplay was great and while some might think it was too easy compared to other Metroids I personally found that the "Metroid-Lite" element meant I had more fun playing it.
    Okay, so the story was a bit naff (Samus went on more about "the baby" than Sephiroth went on about his "mother" - nah, that's impossible), and it didn't have the exploration that Metroid fans are used to - but for all its differences it was a lot of fun to play, and I was rather sad when it was all over.

So, if a "Other M 2" did happen, I'd just say:
    - Make it longer and a little bit more open.
    - Samus doesn't have to be mute, but make her dialogue rare and necessary (those monologues peppered about in Fusion would be a good example)
    - Make the pixel hunts less painful - finding a speck of blood in an open field was torture last time.

6. emperor ing Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 09:19

Loving the differing opinions in the comments so far.

Team Ninja did a decent job with Other M, and I think the main aspect of the game that people don't like (Samus' character) is down to Sakamoto. The only gameplay feature that Team Ninja didn't get right was the first person mode.

Personally if Team Ninja wanted to go and do another Metroid game, a 3DS title in the style of Other M would be perfect for them. Like Yubel said, for a Wii U Metroid title we need something very impressive that uses the full capabilities of the system to produce an absolute star of a game - and I think doing it Prime style would fulfil that.

7. Redfish20 Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 09:20

I'll admit it I loved Other M (except that one stupidly long cutscene at the end and the silly looking around parts). The gameplay was great and the story was an added bonus (and an added game: count the Aliens references). To all those who complained about it "ruining Samus' character" all I can say is go back and play Fusion again, she monologues almost as much and it's all equally angsty, no one complained about it when Fusion came out though. Also I'm happy to forgive her being a bit depressed, read the manga; everyone she ever cares about dies, I'd be fairly upset as well.

8. samus_killer Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 09:38

I would just like another Metroid game, really. I don't mind what style they go for - Super Metroid, Prime or Other M, I like these three styles of Metroid gameplay. Just if there is another Metroid game in the same vein as Other M then don't let Sakamoto write the story again...

Oh and make it less linear, oh and let me use an analog stick, oh and get rid of those forced scanning sections. The style of Other M's gameplay can work, it just needs a story to go with it that doesn't completely destroy Samus as a character. In fact I could see a remake of Super Metroid happening using the style of Other M. Oh how that would make the internet rage, but in truth Other M's core mechanics are actually enjoyable to play... thanks to Team Ninja.

9. shy guy 64 Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 09:40

i enjoyed other m so i wouldnt mind them doing an other one

10. samus_killer Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 09:51

Just seen this and I know everyone has opinions, but come on, really now. :/

11. SuperNintyFan333 Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 10:01

Metroid Prime 4 Wii U and a super metroid style game for 3ds.

12. Xenobladeperson Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 11:13

Other M definitely wasn't the best in the series, but it was a decent game. A little too linear and awkward controls, but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed for a sequel. I didn't find anything wrong with the story and the core gameplay was almost as good as the other games in the series. If there was an Other M 2, it would be easy to fix any problems with the original and make another quality Metroid game, so I don't see why people don't want it.

13. Oxo64 Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 15:14

If Metroid is out their league maybe Team Ninja could work with Sakamoto on a new IP. I'd love to see what they could come up with!

I thought Other M was pretty good, although I didn't like the way Samus was portrayed during the story. Too much "feelings" for my likeing.

14. King Slazo Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 15:39

Other series maybe, but jesus never let them at Metroid again. Other M was an embarassment compared to the Prime series.

15. PokerusZero Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 16:21

I'd love a new side-scrolling Metroid game like Metroid Fusion (the best Metroid game in my opinion) but please don't make it like Other M. The story was rubbish, the controls were dodgy and it completely ruined Samus' character.

16. Kyranosaurus Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 18:18

Everyone keeps saying, "Oh, why would you hate that they gave Samus a personality!"
    But that's not the problem. To me it feels like they gave her the wrong personality. I didn't really like the voice acting in Other M because it made her sound so monotone that she sounded really boring.

Also, in the previous games, I always looked up to Samus as an assertive, brave and more relaxed woman that you played as. It really made me respect her but Other M made her out as a "follows orders" girl who was too soft and took too much junk from other people.

She felt like a character who was meant to be respected back before Other M. Y'know, as if she wasn't meant to be taken lightly just because she was female. I don't hate the game, I hate Team Ninja's take on Samus as a character.
    It didn't feel like Samus, it felt like a strange side story in the Dead or Alive universe where all the girls would have the same personality when it came to sorrow. (To be honest, I've never played a Dead or Alive game but it reminds me of the story mode on the demo for 3DS, somehow)

17. Nintendo Man Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 18:53

Would definitely love to see a Prime style shooter again, I don't care what people say, it's the way forward for the series. But if there was a Metroid: Other M 2, i'd still get that also!

18. RightHemisphereG Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 19:01

I liked Other M, More so after having finishing the game and it's movie more then once. With all of my Expectations and the surprises in the story were out of the way the gameplay was allowed to be centre of attention and the carter development being less of a "discomfort". Overall more enjoyable to replay.
    What was need were added unlockables apon completing the game. Most importantly other game-modes that with slight adjustment to the story to add for adaption to a time trile play-mode, for speed play-throughs(Timing your game play use tobe a standard in Metroid). Being able to use samas stun gun from the start. Being able to play as the other team members up-until there demise's.
    Like when Team Ninja made Ninja gaiden they eventually followed with Black & Sigma Versions.

19. IPecksU Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 20:34

I hope they never touch metroid again, the gameplay was sort of okay but the story and cutscenes were painful despite having awesome graphics. They made Samus an intensely boring and weak character which really nearly killed the game for me.

20. MistaChristopher Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 21:01

I would love Another M which worked on it's strengths and ironed out those weaknesses of the game. It would be perfect.

21. imbusydoctorwho Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 21:35

I really enjoyed Other M,okay it wasn't nowhere as good as any of the Prime games,but it was a good game nevertheless.

22. culktishsips Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 21:52

The portrayal of Samus was upsetting, especially how she had to ask for permission to use a weapon. Isn't Samus supposed to defy taking orders? Anyways, the gameplay of Other M was superb.

23. superthingymabob Friday 17th Aug 2012 at 22:54

I would like another prime game. never played other M but i heard sufficient arguments to put me against it

24. fisher2007 Sunday 19th Aug 2012 at 21:59

to be honest i haven't played Metroid Other M and i was gonna buy it then change my mind about it because i had mixed feelings i wasn't sure.if i like it. :(