20 best Mario Kart moments

We celebrate the 20th anniversary of Super Mario Kart

Happy anniversary Mario Kart! Yes, 20 years ago today, Super Mario Kart was released in the UK. It's an often-told tale that the public was skeptical about the sight of their platforming hero driving around in a go-kart, but 20 years on and Mario Kart is still in pole position as the world's most fun racing game.

In that time we've seen feather-assisted karts flying through the air, vehicles driving under water, two characters in one kart and a lot of blue shells. Now, we celebrate the history of Mario Kart with the 20 finest moments from the series as selected by you and some of us.

20. Dinosaur in Dino Dino Jungle

Nominated by Frazapple

We've come along way from Super Mario Kart's flat-packed tracks. Now we're racing through shopping malls, on ski slopes and underwater, weaving in and out of flying shells. There are plenty of obstacles on the path to glory - a giant pinball on Waluigi's Pinball, penguins on Sherbet Land and, best of all, the big dinosaur in Mario Kart Double Dash's Dino Dino Jungle. ONM forum member Frazapple nominated the appearance of the Sauropod as his favourite moment by simply saying: "DINOSAUR!! When you first see it in Dino Dino Jungle".

We must admit that we love driving between his big blue legs.

Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 19 20 Next page

Comments

1. chojin Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 09:35

Great article, brought back some great memories of MK especially the races I had my daughters and having the 5 challenges on Moo Moo Farm (if my girls beat me I'd give the 5). The incentive gave them something to aim for and they won a quite few races. They are now 10 & 12 year old and are now MK demons, they regularly beat me and go online world wide and beat others :)

2. Laughlyn Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 10:13

one of the best articles in a while. I've played every version of MK since the SNES original and i'm pretty sure i still own all but the SNES version (all on super circuit so not bad) and its been the highlight of every Nintendo console i've owned.
    And something that's bound to cause a bit of grief is personally i think Double Dash is the best version. I loved the double karts adding a bit of strategy to picking your drivers based on their special item to help in a race and the amount of unlocks and characters was great. Me and friends recently bought a couple of lan/broadband adapters for our gamecubes and had 8 of us crowded round a couple of tvs in the living room. one of the best gaming sessions we've had in a long time. beer flowing, snacks being munched and after half an hour air bluer than the shells that caused it :D

Also strange seeing my real name in an article n not my username lol

3. LavaTwilight Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 11:05

I'll never forget the moment in Bowser's Castle on Double Dash that I had a blue shell after me... I was drifting up the spiral incline just after the lavapit and had the blue shell coming. I saw it coming for me and just as it dived at me I used the mushroom I had stored from the second player in my kart. From the angle I was at, I went in one direction to see the blue shell fly behind me crashing harmlessly into the place where I once was. If that aint skill I don't know what is! :mrgreen:

4. Laughlyn Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 11:37

my luckiest moment was having a red shell after me while i was in third. I had a triple mushroom and as i was power sliding round the corner i let go of the slide and hit mushroom boosting forward at an angle and overtaking 2nd causing the red shell coming at me to hit the guy in second that i just overtook instead of me :)

Complete fluke of course but i put it down to my 'skill' for years lmao

5. Herbert_Rarr Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 11:39

I love Mario Kart. And Double Dash is by far still my favourite as well. MK Wii was excellent, and a definite classic, and MK7 was good, but it didn't retain the charm of the older versions. I grew up in the Gamecube era, so Games like MKDD, Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Simpsons Hit and Run bring back so many great memories for me.
    The problem I have with MK7 is that...it dosn't feel right. I'm not 100% sure why, but I think the music had too much of a beat to it and sounded too much like real instruments. MK themes should be made with chip-tunes and synthesizers - not guitars and drums. And what happened to the fake item boxes? I used to love the feeling of disguising one in a bunch of real ones and seeing someone unwittingly drive straight into it. Then there's the lack of actual short cuts. There are the glitchy ones and the properly integrated ones, but in MK7, the vast majority were just little ramps on grassy verges on a corner.
    But anyways, great article - I had a lot of fun reading it and reminiscing :D

6. dunc247 Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 11:54

A lovely article!! Personally love the green shell moment, though another favourite of mine from MKWii: after powersliding round a corner on a bike, straight away going into a wheelie so that you're perfectly in-line for the following corner ...so satisfying 8)

7. TooBigToFlush Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 12:01

You forgot the giant penis disguised as a tunnel on Peach Beach on DD. How they got away with that I'll never know. Classic!

8. Commandervideo Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 12:05

Awesome article! :D

Nice to see the MKDS missions but what about snaking, learning to do that on say at least the figure 8 circuit is class. MKDD special items would be a bad moment for me though, only koopas can get triple shells and toads can only get gold mushroom :(

I had the most fun on MKDS battle mode on multiplayer, most fun I've had on any game I think
    Beating an infinite blue shell hacker on MKDS online was memorable too

MKDS or 7 is my favourite in the series

9. MartinIsAwesome Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 12:18

I didn't realise you were asking for nomintations. I would have said my best Mario Kart moment was mastering all the Staff Ghosts in Mario Kart Wii; particularly the Rainbow Road one. In fact, I had to redo the Rainbow Road one so many time that I became an expert on the track. Even to this day, whenever I go online I select that track to demonstrate my awesome skills.

10. King-X Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 13:26

Some great picks! Got to agree with Rainbow Road both in terms of its status as a staple course and the therapeutic music. Were it not for the matter of racing on the consistently toughest course during a race I'd almost want to relax to the theme...

11. shadowlugia101 Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 17:04

this is a great article, and all of these moments are great and do the game justice. also thanks very much for putting my contribution into your article, very much appreciated! :D

12. Ai64 Monday 27th Aug 2012 at 21:00

So many memories and picks. Great article too. :D

13. ginjaninja Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 at 09:31

Jumping off the course just after the finish line on Koopa Cape and Rainbow Road! :twisted:

14. yoshicool Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 at 14:28

Thanks for putting mine in!

15. thenintendoer Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 at 17:16

i agree theres nothing more satisfying than using a mushroom to dodge a blue shell (especially if its online :D )

16. trigo Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 at 18:11

some great moments there a good way to rember the history and past games of mario kart

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIO KART

17. LugiaCake Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 at 19:22

I really wish mission mode would make a come back, maybe some DLC with the Funky Kong Queens speach announcement. ( I'm hoping she announces the Funkmeister this year! )

18. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 at 20:29

Does anyone know anything about MK Wii U?

19. conn1496 Tuesday 28th Aug 2012 at 22:13

Personally, I loved cruising around tracks solo in time attack, but just free roaming, and taking in the scenery. You can spot some really neat things if you just stop and take the time to look around the tracks (Or try to get to places where you're not meant to. :P).
    Some of my personal favourites are:
    Peach's castle in Royal raceway in MK64 (It's just loads of fun to look around, and certainly makes an interesting idea for an improvised battle course.)
    Sign browsing (Some of the signs in Mario Kart are really entertaining. My favourites are the "Koopa Kart", and "SHERBERT". Ones. :D Also, you can't forget the signs in Koopa City. Bowser rocks!)
    Driving the minecart tracks backward in Wario's Gold Mine on Mario Kart Wii. (Ledge-hanging to dodge those carts as they head your way as you make your way backwards was a lot of fun. :L)
    ...and finally, the leafless tree in MK7's Alpine Pass (I know that this is obviously not intended, but on the Alpine Pass track, there is a tree just off the track's main path that has no top. It is literally a vertical log. Indeed a neat spot for the avid Mario Kart sight-seer. :P).

20. SuperJonnyMario Wednesday 29th Aug 2012 at 09:30

I can't pick my best moments. I love all Mario Kart games! :mrgreen:

21. pikachu101 Wednesday 29th Aug 2012 at 12:53

Best article ive read! Couldnt agree more with shadowlugia101. I remember playing ths as a kid and i agree that it made it much more enjoyable :D good work shadowlugia101 :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIO KART! YOUVE DONE US PROUD :D

22. Dan-the-Wii-man Sunday 2nd Sep 2012 at 12:05

Dodging a blue shell on DK Jungle Parkway over the jump 8)

23. SamManSam Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 00:11

Recently, my friend came round my house and my love of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! had been rekindled. We had so much fun helping each other out in the 150cc All-Cup Tour. It's a shame how most of the features from that game never made it into future Mario Karts. Notably: the ability to drive a kart with more than one character, it was a great feature especially when coupled with the special items as this made picking characters a genuinely tricky task. Where in other MK's you'd just go for your favorite character, in DD, you'd plan out in your head who'd be the best combination: "Toad is good with his Golden Mushrooms if I fall back a bit. But then again, Baby Mario's Chain Chomp might be better for knocking opponents out of the way. Actually, Bowser's Shell might be more useful, I can throw it backwards to keep the AI players back when I'm in a higher place, and I can throw it forwards to climb up the ranks if I'm behind". This was a brilliant feature for a brilliant game, but I'm not asking Nintendo to bring it back as this would keep DD feeling unique and fresh, but I wouldn't mind seeing the special items make a return, and I think all my friends would agree.

24. ledreppe Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 14:59

I'll never forget the sheer joy I experienced when playing Super Mario Kart on the SNES for the first time. I never actually owned my own copy, I borrowed it from a friend so I didn't get to play it as much as I'd liked to. My finest moment would have to be when I was leading the race from start to finish with nobody even near me from behind. I was beginning to lap people, there were people with much higher VR scores than me who were way behind. Never done that again since.

25. JoeOdranDoran Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 15:13

A great tip for having fun on baby mario's course: turn the items up to high (i can't remember the exact word the game uses, but you can change it in the options) Then, all you get is red and blue shells. It's absolutely manic! Hilariously good fun.

26. Lewis Daisley Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 15:21

PPPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE try to at least squish this onto at maximum 7-8 pages. This seriously puts me of reading this 20 page long articles. c'mon guys

27. Laughlyn Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 15:54

I still love mario kart :D i still own every version but the snes one in hardcopy format and i have the original on VC as well as all the tracks in super mario super circuit. I still think DD is my favorite and i'm hoping with Wii U DLC we could see some kind of MArio Kart All-Stars package with all the old courses re-done. i'd happily chuck another 40 at nintendo for that to happen (and all characters) i deffo want to see a return of exclusive weapons tho, it was nice having chain chomp limited to baby mario and luigi and it DD it made picking the right combo of characters bit more tactical but who can forget the first time you see one of bowsers big a** shells chasing after you on wario circuit lol

28. 1singie Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 16:14

MK7 is easily the best mk. have owned and played them all. I really hope its possible to make more classic tracks available as added content, i'd pay 5 for a set of 4. does anyone know if it is technically possible? please say its possible!!
    great article!

29. 1singie Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 16:15

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

30. TheSlenderman Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:05

My favourite mk is defiantly mk7. My favourite moment was beating my brother and sister in a local multiplayer race, simply because of the look on their faces!! :D

31. KH81314 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:48

Favorite Mario Kart game is Mario Kart Wii. Thought other ones were okay but I really got hooked on that one.

32. CDS Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 18:22

Mario Kart: Double Dash is my favourite, and I'd say most of those in this article are my top moments as well.
    Although I'd have voted for all the music of Double Dash as number two. The blue shell will always remain number one.

33. ThePokekid78 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 22:12

'making the most of the Wuhu Mountain Loop glitch shortcut did spoil many an online race.'

Spoil it? No word of a lie, I deliberately haven't updated my 3DS since that update because I don't want to lose the glitch! Glitches are great fun!

34. CDS Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 22:40

You only lose it online though.
    It's still accessable via singleplayer Grand Prix and Timetrials. I think.

35. Komodo_Wolfgang Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 23:53

The 2 on a cart deffinatley needs to return. I was hoping it would have been a feature on MKWii.
    Me and my sister have always been fairly good on MK, but on double dash, with her driving and me on weapons (and dodging) duty, we were awesome.
    Special weapons could even be used without 2 carters. so why not just keep them in? it would have made chosing a character more interesting.
    Babypark is also needs to return.

36. Laughlyn Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 04:15

Babypark is also needs to return.

thats how me n a mate used to play. him drive and me on defense/offense. I got quite the crack shot with green shells with paratroopa in the barrel train kart. Now i have my Wii U my old Wii is still setup but softmodded because doing so with a component cable and a U.S copy of the game (which one of mine is due to having an imported GC originally) you can play it in 480p and it looks amazing. Same as F-Zero GX it looks stunning with the slight upscaling, Looks as good as MKWii

37. Sonic_Freak Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 11:50

Has there not been enough complaints about articles and ridiculous page totals? I love your top 10/20/whatever articles, ONM, which is why this frustrates me so much. 20 pages is just plain ridiculous. No one should have to click through a page for every entry.