6 amazing Animal Crossing facts and secrets

How many did you know?

This week isn't all about E3 2013 you know. Animal Crossing: New Leaf, the biggest and best game of the year so far is released on Friday 14 June, and we're celebrating the launch with a series of special features. Throughout the week, we'll be revealing your best Animal Crossing characters, posting our Animal Crossing: New Leaf review and giving you the opportunity to win a copy of the game and an Animal Crossing 3DS XL.To kick things off, we're returning to one of our favourite features. 6 Animal Crossing facts and secrets.

Did you know that Mr Resetti could be disturbing to young children? Or how many different versions of Animal Crossing were released before Animal Crossing DS? Our expect fact finder Marc Zablotny has been digging around the world of Animal Crossing to find some amazing nuggets of information that you may not already know. He also found some turnips.

1. It's official: Mr Resetti is distrurbing

The European manual for Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City gives a parental warning for the infamous character Mr. Resetti, saying he may be disturbing to young children.

"Information for parents - Mr Resetti.

"It is important that players save before switching off the Wii console in order to retain data after each play session (see Saving Data, above). If players switch off without saving, the character Mr. Resetti may appear upon restarting.

"Mr. Resetti's purpose is to teach players the importance of saving. However, parents should be aware that his personality and tone of voice, while intentionally humorous, are authoritative and may be disturbing to young children."

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page

Comments

1. Mr. Doodles Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 07:57

Typo in the first fact:

"1. It's official: Mr Resetti is distrurbing"

2. deKay Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 08:07

I wish ONM would stop doing "X number of things" articles. This isn't one of those American "humour" sites. Listing things is lazy. Can't we have more articles on actual games, with actual writing, instead?

3. hamzahdsi Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 08:35

Not just that, the fact they spread them out onto six different pages. Why cant you just display everything on one page?

4. Cinaclov Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 08:39

Whilst I generally agree, this one was quite interesting so I don't feel too badly about it. But I get where you're coming from.

Also, I've been thinking recently (and this reminded me) about how we had to mount a huge campaign, petition and whatever to even get the original (or the... well, see the article :P) Animal crossing on GC released here at all. They had the PAL version all ready and released in Australia, it just needed Nintendo to bring it over and release it and they were so resistant to doing so.

And now it's one of their bigger brands (loads of casual Wii owners I know have it). Makes you think doesn't it...

5. shy guy 64 Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 09:31

knew them all

6. TwoDaysAgo Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 10:19

ANIMAL CROSSING!!! WHOOOOOOO!!! This made my day <333

What's with all the negativity? You don't have to read them, so don't.

I have to agree with this though.

7. mushroomchow Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 10:59

Ah yeah, i remember that campaign. I was so psyched when they finally caved in. I was even sad enough to count down the last 2 weeks day by day.

Well worth it, I'm still playing pretty much daily 7 years, 11 months and 9 days later.

I think it was the final nail in the coffin of this unfounded theory that games made primarily for a Japanese audience wouldn't translate well overseas, and to the European market particularly. It went on to sell well a decent number of copies. Since then, there have even been some high-profile games that have reached us before the US - Xenoblade Chronicles is a good example.

8. deKay Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 11:26

What's with all the negativity? You don't have to read them, so don't.

But they make up most of the site at the moment. There's not much *else* to read instead.

9. Time-Bomb Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 12:57

To be fair to ONM, i sincerely doubt they are choosing to do these types or articles instead of normal articles on games, there's probably just not much news to report on so they do these to give us something to read.

Personally i like them. They just build the hype for great games like Animal Crossing!! :D

10. CyberGW Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 16:16

That's really interesting! Knew 1 or 2, but not them all. The first one is really funny! :D

11. Darkblizz Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 20:54

I've seen almost the entire movie subbed, and it's wonderful.

Problem is, there's next to no chance of it ever getting a western release. *sob*

12. Kirby8 Tuesday 4th Sep 2012 at 01:44

Knew all of them. I have the movie, subbed, downloaded. I know I've watched some of it, but not sure if I've watched all of it. I remember seeing the adverts for it on YouTube and remember how much I wanted to watch it.

13. Kirby8 Tuesday 4th Sep 2012 at 01:45

I've seen almost the entire movie subbed, and it's wonderful.

I don't really mind. I watch anime too and always prefer watching it subbed. Some dubs can be god awful!

14. Apple_Pie Tuesday 4th Sep 2012 at 15:25

some Animal Crossing residents speculate that Tom Nook is actually a man in a suit...

I would love it if Tom Nook is just Mario taking a break from plumbing or saving Peach!

15. Commandervideo Wednesday 5th Sep 2012 at 10:21

Didn't know Nook was a tanooka or however you spell it. Very clever.
    Having that many versions of one animal crossing is crazy, and doesn't everyone think resettis abit scary.

16. TaleOfTheToaster Thursday 6th Sep 2012 at 10:44

Why complain about the movie lasting 87 minutes? It was one of the best 87 minutes of my life. Well, one of the best 79 minutes, the ending was crap. But seriously guys, get yourself on YouTube and watch it, it's in Japanese with English subtitles, which only makes it better. Even though I've spoiled that the ending was crap.

17. mikurotoro Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 10:50

About the Nook thing, his name comes from his Japanese name, Tanukichi which is how NOA got the name Tom Nook! I don't think he is Mario but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true bc Nintendo pulls this with games that have nothing to do with Mario (SNES Punch-out is the PERFECT example of this, Mario is the ref) If this is true it will ruin the appeal of both Tom Nook and Animal Crossing itself bc I would forever associate him with Mario instead of his own character. Don't do this to me Nintendo, please! I know this sounds weird but it would ruin my love for him. AC fans know what I'm talking about. I knew about the K.K thing and Resetti in SSBB. Oh I really want to see the movie but I can't find it on Youtube, can someone point me in the right direction, please?

18. thekwlman11 Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 12:29

ONM - Cracked Edition

19. Link Lee Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 15:19

Whenever Resetti shows up in Brawl, I forget everything I'm doing, smash on some random buttons and read his dialogue until he disappears.

20. Cinaclov Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 17:03

I remember when we had to petition to get a UK release of the Gamecube version because it looked like it wasn't going to happen (even though it'd been released in Australia, a PAL region like the UK so no extra work at all would have been required.) Seems odd to think about how much of a big hitter the franchise is considered now in comparison.

21. Waldy565 Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 18:01

Knew these, apart from the K.K. references (excluding K.K. Song) - when I get New Leaf, I'm gonna look for these secrets right away!

22. Waldy565 Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 18:05

Why would he set up a shop with all them gold coins he collects? Mind you, you need to always restock, and with the economy as it is, maybe a wooden shack is all he can afford...

23. Wiimote Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 19:18

I knew all these feel like I've read them before.

24. Dean Thompson Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 19:43

Agreed. Those arguing that we shouldn't read then, should consider that any publication should consider feedback - so we give it - and the volume of this type of piece is getting out of hand. That and the committed are perhaps more likely to know this sort of stuff. More critical analysis if you were wondering how to fill the space.

25. Twinkle Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 21:48

Can't wait to get New Leaf along with the limited edition 3DS XL! :D

26. Darren Hastie Sunday 9th Jun 2013 at 16:11

i i saw this movie online its worth the watch k.k slider approved lol :D

27. wghtmf Sunday 9th Jun 2013 at 17:20

I knew them all, but they're pretty interesting, except for the first one. I don't understand why people are so interested by it. :?

28. Bailey Walker Sunday 9th Jun 2013 at 17:22

Don't forget that there was also an Animal Crossing movie called D?butsu no Mori, released in Japan on DVD and DS Video Cart! :D I think some fans also made a well recieved fan dub too, not sure on how good it is myself though.

29. Neostar4 Monday 10th Jun 2013 at 15:44

Didn't know some of these, thanks!