Update: Mass Effect 3 Wii U edition will run in 720p

Contrary to our last report...

A recent report claimed that the Mass Effect 3 Wii U edition would run at 1080p - making it the best looking version released on consoles. Unfortunately, this information has turned out to be false; the CEO of Straight Right Tom Crago has stated that the Wii U port will not run at 1080p.

This sad news comes straight from the developers Straight Right, who are handling the Wii U port of the popular third installment in the Mass Effect series. CEO Tom Crago simply stated, "The game will run at 720p". No more information was given, so it is currently unclear what prompted Nintendo Power to report these incorrect specs.

While this definetly isn't the Nintendo news fans were hoping for, there's still plenty of reasons to join Commander Shepard in his epic space-based adventures. Exclusive comics and weapons are reportedly coming to this version, plus the Wii U controller capabilities are essentially endless. Clearly, there is still a lot to look forward too.

Until then, we're still super excited to Take Back Earth when the Wii U finally launches along with Mass Effect 3. Are you?

[ Source: Nintendo World Report ]

Comments

1. Redfish20 Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 11:42

If I wanted to play a year old Xbox game I believe that there is already a console that allows me to do that. And the game will be much the same whatever resolution it's running at.

2. K-tet Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 12:33

I'm not 'excited' for Mass Effect 3. I mean it's good that it's getting a Wii U release, but whoever's handling the Wii U version is obviously too lazy to not bother with upscaling. That's a developer issue, and not a hardware issue. Still, even if it was in 1080p, I wouldn't be excited for it. There are better games for the system that'll be available at launch and/or within the launch window so, I'd rather be excited for those.

3. toffeeman30 Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 12:34

what games are available at launch?

4. Lonegamer Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 13:00

im not getting it cus i know it will be a crappy port of a year old game, i am actually impressesd a how compleatly incompitant nintendo are being with the launch of wii u.
    im actually not going to bother getting wii u any more, not just because of this, but i will instead save for a console where developers want to put quality games on and not shoddy rubbish ports.
    Good luck with your casual market nintendo but me and a lot of other people are fed up with you.
    So sad :(

5. Time-Bomb Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 13:01

It would have been nice if the developers had taken the same approach we saw with the Metroid Prime Trilogy. I'd love to play the Mass Effect series but i don't fancy starting with number 3... I'd rather they upgraded the first one for us!!

6. Darklord101 Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 15:09

Not sure if this is due to time constraints or a cost issue...

7. Xenobladeperson Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 15:42

Well that's a little disappointing. I wouldn't care, as I'm not getting the game and don't care about the graphics too much, but it would be nice to have a graphically better version than the PS3/Xbx versions.

8. D Gamer Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 20:50

Disapointing news.

9. Riverlution Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 20:52

Mass Effect is my GotY (except that ending) but I don't think I'm going to buy it again. Not unless there is substantial amount of more content. And when I say content, I mean actual game content, not things like in game comics or galleries. Physical missions/levels.

Why would anyone in their right mind buy a game a second time?

10. imbusydoctorwho Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 21:24

A year old game is "possibly one of Wii U's biggest launch window titles" ???
    WE'RE DOOOOOOOOOMED

11. komicturtle Monday 3rd Sep 2012 at 22:44

A year old? This game came out like 5 months ago...

12. link013 Tuesday 4th Sep 2012 at 07:16

i will buy it as i never had a chance to play it because i brought an x box 360 to play games like this and it broke in 3 months :cry: ( at least i will have a wii u soon)

13. mushroomchow Tuesday 4th Sep 2012 at 20:11

So sad :(

No way are you 31.

14. yellowds Wednesday 5th Sep 2012 at 08:38

As has been previously stated, this is not the console's fault, it's the Development team not upscailing it. As I have not played ME3 before, I was quite excited that they were porting it, but if they don't put the effort in and make a quality port, then I'm sorry to say, I won't be spending my money on the game.
    Also unless all of the non-cosmetic, story essential DLC is included, then I won't be purchasing.

15. barrybarryk Wednesday 5th Sep 2012 at 09:22

I'll still probably get it, I have it already on the PC but never bothered with the DLCs, so a compilation version will be worth a play, and if it's not on my PC I might get some more work done!

I can understand not porting 1 & 2 over, it was the same when ME 2 was released on PS3, it would just be too much work since all 3 essentially run on different versions of the engine so it really would be like porting 3 separate games and selling them for the price of one (no one is going to buy ME 1 & 2 individually for full price).

I hope they keep the Gamepad stuff to a minimum (like just squad/power interaction) and not go full on kitchen sink on it like the Arkham City devs seem to have. I'd like to play it on just the gamepad screen when my main TV is in use and if it makes a lot of use of dual screens or AR style stuff that'll be next to impossible.

As for the resolution argument, I don't really care, I played the PS3 version at 720p and the PC version at 1080p, both look pretty much the same (and great) to me bar the PC having higher resolution textures, which has nothing to do with the engines native resolution.

16. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 5th Sep 2012 at 12:43

A year old? This game came out like 5 months ago...

Well by the time the Wii U is released,it'll be nearing a year.

17. hamzahdsi Wednesday 5th Sep 2012 at 19:47