Top 10 retro titles that could work wonders on Wii U

Which classic Nintendo titles deserve a reboot?

It's nearly time folks; Wii U's release date is likely being announced rather soon. As a result, speculation surrounding upcoming games for Nintendo's new system is growing by the second. Clearly, the question on every fans mind is this - Can Nintendo deliver a full spectrum of stellar titles for Wii U?

Well of course they can. But despite that, we want Nintendo to swiftly dip their hands into history and plucked out a few games from yester-year, give them a HD sprinkle and let Wii U's Gamepad do the rest.

This list contains just a teeny portion of Nintendo's backlog of gaming gold - we've only chosen ten for now (some are a lot more likely than others). Through NES to Gamecube, here's a select few titles that we think could work wonders on Wii U.

10. Earthbound - SNES

Earthbound is an RPG with a bona-fide human soul, swapping ludicrously oversized swords for frying pans and yo-yos, relating to the gamers who still love it today. To be honest, Earthbound's beloved soundtrack is reason enough for this cultural masterpiece to find its way to Wii U.

Earthbound Wii U could revitalise the series, bringing Ness and co. back to Nintendo with a brand new adventure, featuring interactive battles with cross-screen item management. The overall goal of Earthbound focused on the collection of rare musical objects to progress; perhaps the player could interact with them via the touch-screen during the game.

A world of possibilities; a world we want to revisit on Wii U.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. Darkblizz Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 14:07

Of COURSE we're going to see Mario Party on WiiU, there's no escaping the bloody thing.

2. Shmilly Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 14:12

Some interesting choices on this list for sure. Mario Party and Metroid are inevitable, the latter of which I think will be truly amazing to see in full HD, with that new pad proving a handy piece of kit. I'd love to see the return of Pokemon Snap too, though I wonder how much of the game you'll be looking at through your "camera" rather than soaking in its beauty on the main screen. As for a new Mario RPG, I think that deserves to be on 3DS rather than WiiU. I just can't see it having the same effect on a big screen as the gorgeous fantasy landscapes of something like Final Fantasy or the Elder Scrolls.

3. K-tet Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 14:17

Some of those would work really rather well, but some less-so, and some I doubt will happen. Remember, Earthbound wasn't released in Europe not just because of various music sampling, but because it would take too much effort to bump it down from 60Hz to 50Hz (and for those same reasons Chrono Trigger was never released in Europe). Super Mario RPG would be good, but seeing as both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi are established, I doubt this will happen either.

Star Fox is most definitely a title that could find promise on Wii U, especially after the 3DS remaster (to compliment OoT3D) was so well received. Everyone's hoping that Retro Studios are working on a Star Fox game for Wii U, but it could be more likely that a new Metroid will be in the works. There's a lot of potential for those two IPs. Another Donkey Kong game could indeed be on the cards too.

One I'd love to see is an F-Zero game. We didn't have one for Wii, nor did we for DS. It's possible that a 3DS version could still surface (and I hope so), but I guess when it comes to Pokémon, a Pokémon Stadium-type game would be the dogs. Allowing connectivity with the DS titles would be superb, and every Pokémon fan is eagerly awaiting what Game Freak will do along the lines of Gen VI on the 3DS. Possibly a 3DS/Wii U X-Play game would be even better, but that's really nothing more than a pipe dream.

4. barrybarryk Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 14:23

I loved Operation Wolf on the NES, the pointer controlled rail shooters on the Wii were also great (House of the Dead: Overkill and the Resident Evil ones in particular) especially during a console generation very light on light gun style games. I'd love to see a Silent Scope style shooter on the Wii U using the GamePad screen as the scope/sights, hopefully it can be accurate (and responsive) enough to use absolute positioning (like older light gun games/tech) instead of the relative positioning the Wii games had.

5. Ningamer Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 14:52

Yes! I've been hoping for a Pokémon Snap sequel for ages now, it's definitely my favourite Pokémon spinoff! I imagined it would work well on the Wii at first, and then when the 3DS came along with its motion controls I thought that would work really well, too. Maybe a 3DS and Wii U version could be released in parallel, since the Pokémon Snap concept really works well on both of them!

Please, Game Freak? Pokémon Dream Radar doesn't count :(

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm currently doing a Pokémon Snap Let's Play on my Youtube account: JHNingamer. :3

6. allanironmaiden Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 15:15

the starfox input was just lazy......would to see ''FROG's'' face on the screen......FROG??? wtf?? slippy anyone??

7. MarioWalrus Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 15:26

should see some good gamecube titles next year like a bundle of the first two pikmin games or somthing to keep the fans happy. i sadly do not have a gamecube so being able to download titles that i have missed out on is one of my favorite things about the Wii U.

8. CyberGW Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 17:10

I really like the Mario Party idea with Boo giving you secret offers. That could work really when doing multiplayer with 2 Wii U GamePads.

9. SuperJonnyMario Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 17:13

Yeah, I would love to see Pokemon Snap and Mario Party going onto Wii U. :mrgreen:

10. TomMc92 Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 18:15

Most of these sound great Pokemon snap would do well on wii u with the game pad, i loved that game on nintendo 64 i bought it again on vc and happily buy another on wii u or 3ds. Starfox is one of my favorite series which nintendo really has been neglecting along with f-zero really, i really can't see why they never made any for wii, as they are such good game series. I do have an idea for the star fox wii u game however i'd like to see the beginning of the starfox world and instead of controlling fox you control his dad james mcloud and uncover what made andross want to take over the whole lylat system. Keep the story to what we love and add a decent online multiplayer and you got one hell of a game there. I know i mentioned it above but F-zero is definlty another series that needs a reboot or at least a sequal on Wii U.

11. Time-Bomb Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 18:28

BODY HARVESTTTTT! YES!

12. LavaTwilight Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 18:42

DUDE! How the hell could you leave out F-Zero? That would be awesome on the Wii U with HD graphics and the speed possible... it'd be in-freaking-credible! I was sure you were leaving it to last... seriously I'll be so miffed if they don't make a new one!

Living in the UK I've never played Earthbound but listening to my friend from HK go on about it I'd really like to give it a go. I'd love to get it on VC first though before I buy any new ones. Also why haven't we got Maniac Mansion for the VC either? That would be a kool HD remake!

13. Fishman92 Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 22:07

We NEED earthbound. The only RPG (aside from pokemon) that I ever enjoyed. Though, you wouldn't be able to get away with some of the humour in it these days...

14. alexkinch Friday 7th Sep 2012 at 22:15

I would love a longer harder 2d/3d remake of the simpsons bart vs the space mutants. The x ray specs could be used on game pad to see if the person in front of you was a mutant or human.

15. mattb01 Saturday 8th Sep 2012 at 09:12

only three would make it (;

16. linkfinity Saturday 8th Sep 2012 at 14:37

tbh i just want either new titles or sequels to wii games. yes, nintendo has a great history, and a few remakes should be made if they will really add to the game, but the wiiu is about the future, and with that should come a new set of faces for gamers to come to know.

17. goldenmushroom Saturday 8th Sep 2012 at 15:56

it would be nice to have earthbound but it is unlikely that we will get it. although we can dream

18. spacemen13 Saturday 8th Sep 2012 at 17:01

I'm bored of NEESPSI bragging about his Mother games. Release it already.

19. HylianGoddess Sunday 9th Sep 2012 at 09:42

I'd love to see a remake of Majora's Mask. =D
    That game would look fantastic with the HD graphics that the Wii U has to offer. Of corse, I would love to see a new Zelda title on Wii U too, as there seem to be LOADS of Zelda remakes/re-releases, but Majora's Mask is one that I think would work really well. =D

20. SonyX Sunday 9th Sep 2012 at 12:59

EARTHBOUND! EARTHBOUND! EARTHBOUND! :D

21. Herbert_Rarr Sunday 9th Sep 2012 at 13:36

I want a classic Sonic game with more zones and original physics. No special gimmicks or new game techniques, just an old school Mega Drive style 2D platformer reminiscent of Sonic 1, 2, 3 and CD. And get rid of the homing attack.

What happened to Sonic 4 episode 2: why isn't it on Wiiware or the eShop?

22. PatrykCzekaj Sunday 9th Sep 2012 at 18:37

Great list! You're absolutely right, and I hope that they will re-make those titles.

23. mushroomchow Sunday 9th Sep 2012 at 21:07

Sorry, but Operation Wolf was god-awful. The hit detection was some of the worst I've ever encountered in a lightgun game, and my old orange blaster works like a charm so it's got nothing to do with that. I'm happy to leave that one festering in the bowels of time like the 8-bit turd it is.

24. Tailzy Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 00:22

see an image of a series I like in the headlines

for a breif moment i think its actual news on a new game, remake, virtual console etc

''games that COOOOOUUUULD bla bla bla''

God damn it every time

25. carnivine chaos Tuesday 11th Sep 2012 at 10:59

I think we can all remember the famous interview with Itoi:

-"There won't be a fourth?"
    Itoi: "No."

r type
    kirby
    wario
    starfox
    no particular order

27. Theyoshiboy123 Tuesday 11th Sep 2012 at 18:34

A Metroid game for the wii U would be EPIC, Move the controller to move samus !!! :mrgreen:

28. NessPSI Sunday 23rd Sep 2012 at 16:23

I'm bored of NEESPSI bragging about his Mother games. Release it already.

Who's NeesPSI?

Also, ONM, Earthbound's never gonna happen, as much as I want it to, it won't.