New Super Mario Bros U: 7 worlds confirmed

All-new details on the new Mario Wii U platformer

Lots of New Super Mario Bros U details have been revealed in the latest edition of Game Informer magazine, including fresh info on the worlds, story enemies and a new mode called Boost Rush.

The story will come as no surprise - Bowser has kidnapped Princess Peach and it's up to Mario to save her. Along the way, he has to defeat Koopalings in each of the game's castles while Boom Boom from Super Mario Bros 3 (and, more recently, Super Mario 3D Land), will appear at the end of the fortresses in the middle of each world.

Talking of worlds, seven have been confirmed so far: You can expect a tropical world called Sparkling Waters, Acorn Plains, Frosted Glacier and an area called Layer Cake Dessert which features melting puddings). There are also areas similar to Forest Of Illusion from Super Mario World and Sky World from Super Mario Bros 3. Finally, there is a world surrounded by a tornado.

Acorn Plains, Sparkling Waters (tropical), Frosted Glacier, Layer Cake Desert (complete with melting desserts), areas similar to Forest of Illusion and Sky World and a world surround by a tornado.

Fans of Super Mario World will also be excited about the map as dozens of levels are reported to be scattered across one giant map. You can zoom in on some areas such as the Cookie Dome and Forest Of Illusion.

New Super Mario Bros U, like Super Mario 3D Land, also features a more challenging mode to go with the main game. It's called Boost Rush in which all the levels will automatically scroll.

New Super Mario Bros U is a Wii U launch window game.

[ Source: NintendoEverything ]

Comments

1. K-tet Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 08:27

I like what I see, and there also seems to be more screenshots here: http://blog.fancensus.com/new-new-super ... ens-outed/

The game looks beautiful for something so simplistic and I have no doubt in my mind that it'll play wonderfully well. However, it needs to be a launch title rather than a title released within the launch window. I want the experience from day one. I hope Nintendo doesn't disappoint here.

2. DonnyKD Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 08:31

I bet you're eating your own words now, eh, Tommy?

3. MartinIsAwesome Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 08:57

Okay, as anyone who has read my comments in the past would tell you, I'm usually quite positive about things and normally I don't like to be a Negative Nancy, but that Boost Mode "idea" is one of the lamest things I've ever head.

Firstly, since Bridge Zone Act 2 in the Game Gear Sonic the Hedgehog - my very first video game - I've hated auto-scrolling levels. For me they serve no purpose other than to infuriate.
    Secondly, where do they get off labelling it as an "extra mode". Fair enough it's more challanging, but that's only because it severely limits your movement and field of vision. And depending on the speed of the auto-scroll (which in the past has been pretty slow) you could end up having waiting around the edge of the screen for the auto-scroll to catch up because the middle is taken up buy a lava pit, only to then find that there's an encroaching Goomba that you don't see in time which naturally gives you damage.
    Initinal ranting out of the way, it still might work. Like I say, a key problem I have with auto-scrolling levels is the speed. If these ones live up to the "Rush" moniker and be rather Speedy, I can see myself at least having some fun with it.
    If not however, I can't believe how lazy the development team are being.

Oh yeah, only seven worlds? What happened to the usual eight. I'm all for mixing things up in small ways, but reducing the number of worlds is a lame one.

4. DonnyKD Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 09:00

Oh yeah, only seven worlds? What happened to the usual eight.

Seven worlds they saw. SMW had seven normal worlds, then Star Road and Special World, so it can still be the case for NSMBU.

5. shy guy 64 Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 09:34

so they've confirmed the usual stuff

6. OrangeRakoon Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 09:38

I like the idea of auto-scrolling mode. Nothing adds to the feeling of tension than the ever-advancing wall of death at your back. Some of the most fun levels in Klonoa on the GBA are auto-scrolling, as it's a real challenge to manage to collect everything while keeping ahead of the screen. You have to know the levels well.

7. pokemaster Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 12:07

Nice new info, but still waiting for something extra that will make this a must have. Secret worlds, DLC, time trails, MiiVerse functionality,..... just something different and exciting I guess would make it be appealing. Still looking forward to it though.

8. Commandervideo Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 12:09

The worlds sound original such as melting desserts in a desert world. EAT THAT RAYMAN ORIGINS! Not literally though. :?

Boost rush should be fast going by the 'rush' and a big challenge too hopefully.
    All it needs now is a level editor and the ability to save your best times.

9. ninjafox Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 12:53

This is exactly what I was hoping for from New Super Mario Bros U after the deja vu feeling I got whilst playing NSMB2.
    One giant world map with new types of levels is certainly welcome as it will help keep the "new" in the title, this has now gone from a might pick up on launch day to a will pick up on launch day.

10. imbusydoctorwho Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 13:51

Only 7 worlds?
    Hopefully we're get 8,and a few unlockable ones

11. CyberGW Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 15:02

Well it sounds more unique than NSMB2. The new worlds sound really fun and different, unlike the usual desert, snow and sky that was in Mario's latest outing. So this has convinced me a bit more to buy it. I'll have to wait for the reviews first though. :D

12. Pyron12 Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 15:25

Side-scrolling levels are EVIL! Expect to die when you try and get something and lose your power up!!!

13. Mollusc Man Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 15:29

This is definitely a step in the right direction. I knew Nintendo wouldn't let us down!!! :D

14. reeesy Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 16:01

Firstly, since Bridge Zone Act 2 in the Game Gear Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ha! i remember that stage well! I liked the music though.

15. reeesy Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 16:11

I'm liking the Mario World style map idea! I hope they really move the series forward with this game. Hopefully after all the complaints about NSMB2 not being innovative enough they'll be forced to put their creative caps on.

16. HyrulianToad Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 16:15

I think the idea of auto scrolling levels is a good one though Id rather have it in some levels instead of all the levels

17. Xenobladeperson Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 17:06

There are more than 7 worlds. These are just the worlds that have been announced so far.

18. inuyashaDS Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 18:51

Mmmm pudding

19. MartinIsAwesome Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 22:22

Firstly, since Bridge Zone Act 2 in the Game Gear Sonic the Hedgehog.

Ha! i remember that stage well! I liked the music though.

According to that reliable source called "the Internet" Janet Jackson sampled it for the chorus to her 1996 single "Togther Again"
    Seriously listen.
    Here's Bridge Zone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYJkol00JCE
    Now here's Janet Jackson: http://youtu.be/KiVzmwiRYxU?t=1m23s
    Yeah.

20. K-tet Monday 10th Sep 2012 at 22:30

Seriously listen.
    Here's Bridge Zone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYJkol00JCE
    Now here's Janet Jackson: http://youtu.be/KiVzmwiRYxU?t=1m23s
    Yeah.

Given that we know that Michael Jackson did indeed help with the Sonic 3 MD soundtrack (though was never officially credited for it), this doesn't surprise me. I must say it's a pretty cool sample.

Though it's not exactly the right topic, Bridge Zone's arguably one of the best Master System/Game Gear compositions, hell, probably one of the best Sonic music compositions of them all. I'd even go as far to say that it's one of the most memorable 8-bit songs of the entire era.

Mind you, along the lines of sampling, it appears Janet also sampled Diana Ross's Chain Reaction as well. Let it be said, if you can sample a reference and work it so that it comes out great in your own song, you've done the reference justice too.

21. Argenthor Tuesday 11th Sep 2012 at 00:17

If not however, I can't believe how lazy the development team are being.

It's just meant to be slightly harder if you fancy going back through it...

22. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 11th Sep 2012 at 12:23

I know that - it's the laziness and lack of originality that has annoyed me.
    What happened to putting in a "Hard Mode" in game. An optional and/or unlockable mode which increases the number and difficulty of enemies and reducing the number of coins and power-ups. Why can't they just do that?

23. DonnyKD Tuesday 11th Sep 2012 at 13:51

I know that - it's the laziness and lack of originality that has annoyed me.

Because putting in more things and taking out more things takes more effort than hsving an autoscrolling level that increases by how many coins you collect...

24. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 11th Sep 2012 at 17:08

But surely, if it takes more effort then that's a good thing. At least then you know that at the end of it the product will be the best it can be.