Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate Edition 3DS won't be online

But there are no other differences between the handheld and Wii U versions

Capcom has confirmed that you won't be able to play Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate Edition online on 3DS but, other than that, there are no differences between the handheld and Wii U versions.

Capcom's Yuri Araujo confirmed that the company "has no plans" to make Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate Edition 3DS playable online but the Wii U version will give gamers ample opportunity to battle with friends online.

How Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate Edition Wii U will work online is unclear (whether it will use region specific servers) as Senior Vice-President Christian Svensson said: "This element I still need some clarity on. Obviously, cross territory network performance even if matching is possible, could have issues. For Wii U we're using Nintendo's servers (which I'm very happy about) and I'm not sure how they're set up... We have six months until release (roughly). We'll have a lot more detail on these and other questions we move through the communications/marketing campaign and run-up to launch."

Svensson also added that other than the online capabilities, there is very little difference between the 3DS and Wii U versions. "Given that there is cross play, there shouldn't be any differences in content between the two (at least, that's what the team has told us to this point)."

Comments

1. shiftymorgan Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 09:01

So thats a no go for me then. oh well :?

2. adamatsu Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 09:20

why not? :(

3. Dark nemisis Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 09:32

guess I'll get the WiiU version then.... graphics will be better anyway I should hope. Also get my second analogue stick with the gamepad and can play with the pro controller. No thank you 3DS version, even if you are portable.

4. Komodo_Wolfgang Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 10:29

I really dont get why. The 3DS could easily handle it.

I Think ILl end up getting both eventualy, most likely the 3DS version 1st.. But its not really much without the online =/

5. lrwr14 Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 10:50

I already figured that out. Handheld MH games never have online. Not really a problem for me I'll play it without the online, I will get the WiiU version at some point, maybe the same time as the 3DS if I have a wiiu by then.

6. TomMc92 Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 12:09

This really gets to me they really ignoring onlnie for most 3ds games. In fact most of the games for 3ds with online play are from nintendo themselves. Monster hunter is a great game with briiliant online surely they can add the online to the 3ds game how much of an issue is it? This really annoys me i thought the 3ds would start giving us great games we can play onlnie as well sa with freinds on wireless play. Not having online really resticts the game i love MH3 and i know i played most of the game online trying to get those exclusive items and armour. I'll be getting the Wii U version no dout but the 3ds version i really see little point in playing it without the online, the only way i will get it if there are any exclusive items for owning both.

7. legend1992 Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 12:37

That comes as no surprise to me, really - when the game came out as MH3G in Japan I read that it didn't have online multiplayer, so to hear it now is no skin off my back. The event quests on 3DS were made available as free DLC to make up for it though, so once you had them, you could keep them saved to the console and play them as many times as you like :)

8. WolfyWardark Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 12:51

That's okay, I don't have many friends. ^_^;

9. K-tet Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 13:50

No issue. The Wii U version will be the main version of the game, and we know that has online play. Instead, you can either play locally with the 3DS version or transfer your savegame data from Wii U to 3DS and play that on the go. That more than makes up for it.

But, there's every chance that future Wii U/3DS X-Play games will allow online interactivity between the two versions, seeing as some DS and Wii games allowed you to do this on the old NWFC. The Nintendo Network will be a unified service as well, so be patient people, I'm sure there will be games in the future that will definitely do this. ^^

10. torterratrainer Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 15:16

I'm still getting both as i can exchange data and hunt on the move, but that dosent mean i'll get them at the same time - wii u first

11. torterratrainer Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 15:17

That's okay, I don't have many friends. ^_^;

ouch!

12. hamzahdsi Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 15:57

It should have online, their is no reason why it shouldnt. But anyway, i probably will still buy it.

13. Xenobladeperson Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 16:04

Exactly, 3DS could easily handle an online mode for MH, there's no excuse. Monster Hunter is based around multiplayer, there needs to be an online mode, no matter what console it's on.

Hopefully Capcom will hear our cries of anger, learn from their mistakes and add an online mode to MH4.

14. hamzahdsi Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 16:09

I doubt it Xeno. That means the ONM Hunter Clan may be doomed for now

15. MasterBrawler91 Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 16:34

That don't really bother me I might get both so It wouldn't be too bad :?

16. Pichu10585 Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 17:17

I thought we knew that already :/

Oh, well. I will still probably buy both versions :P

17. fisher2007 Monday 17th Sep 2012 at 20:53

So thats a no go for me then. oh well :?

18. bazmeistergen Saturday 22nd Sep 2012 at 17:17

MH4 on 3DS is online so no panic.

19. hamzahdsi Saturday 22nd Sep 2012 at 18:06

MH4 on 3DS is online so no panic.

But still, i wouldnt mind playing a game similar to Tri on the 3DS online.