5 games that will make hardcore gamers buy a Wii U

The titles that Xbox and PS3 owners will want

The Wii has been a huge success but its follow-up still faces many challenges. One is how Wii U will appeal to the so-called hardcore gamers who view the Wii as a family console. We're not talking about hardcore Nintendo fans here - the sort who buy everything with Mario's face on it - but those who play their games on rival consoles.

Not that the Wii was simply a family console. We can't imagine anyone sat down with their Granny to play Scarface or Madworld on Christmas Day but, despite the fact that there was a broad range of games on Nintendo's console, the perception was that this was a console for families.

Probably because big blockbusters like Call Of Duty and FIFA were best played on other consoles. Now Wii U is HD, it can not only compete but some of these games, like Assassin's Creed 3 will be even better on Wii U. Not our words but the words of Ubisoft Creative Director Alex Hutchison.

Yet, if we're honest, games such as these are brilliant for Nintendo fans; the ones who have missed out in the last generation will now be able to play the best games on their favourite console. Yet hardcore Assassin's Creed fans may feel the need snap up the revolutionary game on day one rather than wait for the Wii U version.

So which are the games that will make the hardcore gamers want to buy a Wii U. The games that they can't play on any other system? Read on...

5. Pikmin 3

Just as it's a bit of a misconception that Wii is just a family console, so it's a bit strange that GameCube is viewed as a hardcore console. It's a purple box, for heaven's sake. A brilliant purple box, mind and it was also the last Nintendo console that was as powerful as its competitors.

It's also hard to believe that Pikmin is a decade old and it has been eight years since < ahref="http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/7974/162-pikmin-2-wii-screens/">Pikmin 2 was released. That means that many of those who bought Pikmin when it it came out will now be in their 20s. Gamers who grew up on GameCube but now enjoy shooting each other's faces off in Call Of Duty.

We even know a number of people in their 30s who are looking forward to playing as the Pikmin again. Mainly because it is unlike anything else. The Pikmin may be cute but as a title that involves a great deal of strategy, this isn't simply a game for kids.

Pikmin 3 looks stunning and the fact that it has been away for so long means that it's highly anticipated. Also, the fact that Miyamoto is developing it adds further kudos to Pikmin 3. The 2D Mario platformers are now in the hands of a different director but Pikmin is still Miyamoto's baby and Nintendo's main man is still a legend to all gamers. Surely everyone will want to play his latest game.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. Yirba Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 13:14

I don't want any of these games, apart from Bayonetta 2. And I'm not going to buy a Wii U just so I can play a single game.

Or is that supposed to mean that I'm not a "hardcore gamer"… (>_>)

2. Green Tunic Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 13:15

How is a Call of Duty best played on a game pad console? Any FPS works best with a mouse and keyboard.

I won't be buying the Wii U when it is first released since non of the launch titles particularly interest me but I might get it once Pikmin 3 is on it and will defiantly be getting it when a new major Zelda game is released for it :)

3. Slinkington Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 13:21

I am (was?) a MASSIVE Legend of Zelda fan, but the last three games in the series have seriously disappointed me. Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword. I don't class Zelda as "Hardcore" or better said: "Core". Hardcore just sounds stupid. But yes, I've lost a lot of respect for the series. I'll give it one more shot.

4. Amidamaru Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 14:26

The Wii U doesnt entice me one little bit. I looks like a gamers touch pad. None of the games I want. I dont think it works with unique controllers, stick to the basic one and it's easier. I dont like the Wii because if it's controllers. They arent built for gaming.

5. Tazer_Silverscar Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 14:35

Why was Skyward Sword such a disappointment to you? Sure, I really didn't like the DS games, but I found Skyward Sword to be quite a gem in comparision to the other two. I really wouldn't mind playing a game with motion sensor controls again =)

I admit, I did fall for the graphics quite a bit. The massive scope of them was impressive, and it was nice to have a kind of blend of the darker realistic gritty style of Twilight Princess (which I adored!) and the clean cell-shading of Wind Waker. I liked it a lot. And I was happy to not see a 'Toon Link' in sight =)

I found the motion controls varied, depending on where you were sat (or stood) as well. But a table being in the way of where I want to sit is hardly Nintendo's fault.

I couldn't find any other fault, in my opinion.

I think they were going by most popular - more people played FPS recently on console than any other system. And it was mostly on the PS3 or 360.

6. Pyron12 Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 15:12

'The titles that Xbox and PS3 owners will want'
    It should be 'The titles that Xbox and PS3 owners will want but will never get because they hate Nintendo'

7. Shinigami_Link92 Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 15:22

"Crucially, unlike Origins, this is being released exclusively for the Wii so anyone who loved the first game will have to buy a Wii U to experience the sequel."

Dafuq?

8. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 15:36

Games PS3 and XbX owners will want to play.

Pikmin 3

The Legend of Zelda

hahahahahahahaha

Don't you know that Pikmin and Zelda are the type of games that turn PS3 and XbX gamers away from Nintendo? They wouldn't know a good game if a respected reviewer slapped them in the face with it while making them repeat "this game is good."

"Crucially, unlike Origins, this is being released exclusively for the WiiU so anyone who loved the first game will have to buy a Wii U to experience the sequel."

Dafuq?

Rayman Legends is a WiiU exclusive.

9. TheNUKEnukeM Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 15:38

sorry but when you are calling pikmin (that colourful game with cute characters) hardcore its ... well a bit embarrassing. Dont get me wrong pikmin 3 will be a great game but when nintendo where marketing pikmin in the new play control range, they were targeting casual gamer.
    I own another console and probably used it more than my wii and im gonna get a wii u when smash bros 4 and zelda wii u come out, and when I get it, if zombiU got amazing scores and is a essential purchase I will get that and tekken tag tournment 2 (Only want it for the nintendo features).

10. stealth20k Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 15:59

My 5 hardcore games were

pikmin
    mario
    monster hunter
    scribblenauts
    rayman

11. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 16:03

You've got this article completely wrong. Almost all my friends have X-Boxes and these are the games they like the least.

And what makes things worse is that when they hear that the games they enjoy, such as Assassins Creed and Black Ops 2, are coming to a Nintendo console, they physically cringe. They act as if an injustice has been done.
    Nintendo have dug themselves into a pretty deep hole here, and they're grip on the popular third parties' hands is slipping every time they try to haul themselves out.

12. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 16:09

Half of these games are more like Ben & Jerry's ice cream cores.

13. jaco_p Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 16:36

I agree, my idea of hardcore doesn't match up to others ideas. If you told me you completed bit trip runner or donkey kong returns i would class you as more of a hardcore gamer than a COD nut.

But, having said this, Pikmin 3 could not in any way be described as hardcore. The games that will make people pick up a wii U that might otherwise dismiss nintendo's console =
    ZombiU, Monster Hunter, Cod, Bayonetta, Assassin's Creed
    There's your 5 right there

Rayman and pikmin are not gonna draw the masses away from Ps3 and xbox

14. TomMc92 Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 17:03

I must agree rayman and pikmin arn't hardcore, no matter how much i love pikmin it has never felt hardcore to me. But i hate saying that as why can't we say there all good looking games instead of putting them into groups? Also i remember someone saying on a video that rayman looks better than Mario, i got to say it does look great put it's gonna take more than it's looks to atract people to buy wii u. Anyway no matter how good the rayman games have gotten recently he is still is a shadow of his former self, he's still not as recoginsed enough to get people to buy the system. You really did miss out on monster hunter 3 ultimate in this list that to me is in your core catergory, espically with it's onlnie play which is well known for being good thats bound to attrach people to get a wii u. Also what about smash bros wii u? As with legend of zelda i know it's years off release but the game alone will help sell the wii u. I'm still confuse about bayonetta giving us 2 first? Surely give us both on one disc then the story will make sense, or is it gonna be like mass effect and give us a little story to recap on everything that has happened.

15. shy guy 64 Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 17:43

im not interested in the last 2, and dont forget zelda's a while away, infact we havnt had the conformation yet just the tech demo, the only zelda game we know is defiantly in production is the 3ds one

16. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 17:48

So allow me to answer the question this article poses: 'Will these games make hardcore gamers come over to Nintendo?'

Pikmin: Not a chance
    Rayman: Not a chance
    Zelda: No
    ZombiU: Maybe
    Bayonetta 2: Maybe

17. torterratrainer Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 18:55

nope not playing call of duty.
    we are much more refined in taste than to possibly touch the cover.

18. Layton link Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 20:50

Yes...i suppose those are games i would like..well..not rayman legends..not a fan of what they have done with it..it just looks weird..and the skylanders s**t..oh god the skylanders s**t.And i dont care much for zombie u...but the other 3 i would like...well..maybe not pikmin..not as much.

19. K-tet Tuesday 18th Sep 2012 at 23:24

Pikmin 3 = Not really hardcore. Has some nice elements and requires thought, but that's not hardcore by the common word.

Rayman Legends = Exclusive to Wii U (but for how long we won't know), but again certainly not hardcore by the common word.

The Legend of Zelda = Is a core title, but again, not necessarily hardcore by the common word. However, it does have the most in-depth storyline in each iteration and a level of gamer interactivity and satisfaction that still holds up even today.

ZombiU = Exclusive to Wii U (and unless there's a change in the title, it'll remain exclusive), and definitely a hardcore game by the common word. You get the idea. You hold a gun, you shoot things, there's blood, that's hardcore by the common word. In terms of interactivity, this title looks set to grip the player from start to finish, and it will be a system seller.

Bayonetta 2 = Exclusive to Wii U (and won't be multiplatform ever, Nintendo are publishing it, not Sega, and it's Platinum's IP, not Sega's, haters gonna hate, so Wii U MAD BRO?) and definitely a hardcore game by the common word irrespective of how butthurt the immature idiots of those other communities are. I have great hopes for this one, however, I doubt it will sell well. It may shift system sales but the first Bayonetta only netted nearly 2 million sales worldwide despite being a critically acclaimed title. Unfortunately, it's not a commercially acclaimed title, but who knows? That doesn't mean to say that Nintendo will make this a bona fide success.

The thing is, what is hardcore by the common word and what is actually hardcore are two different things. Any game can be studied in-depth, which in turn can make that game a hardcore game. For example, the main Pokémon games are actually more in-depth and require a lot more skill than you think, and the level of skill and dedication needed to get the best out of those games make them far more hardcore than any Call of Duty game ever created. Of course, Pokémon's a kiddy game isn't it? Trust me, it isn't. The number of people between the ages of 16-25 that play the game is staggering. Apply the same logic to the above games. Food for thought perhaps?

20. IamtheAntiLife Wednesday 19th Sep 2012 at 12:07

As an Xbox Owner AND Nintendo Fan I'm not impressed with the line up. It's all just re-released stuff from the Xbox roster. If I'd been isolated with only a wii then I might be interested but instead we're just getting re-releases. It's the same situation with the 3DS.

21. K-tet Wednesday 19th Sep 2012 at 12:56

It's all just re-released stuff from the Xbox roster.

Nope. Only some of these games were released (or are going to be released) before on other platforms. You can argue the likes of ME3 and Arkham City, but while I don't care about ME3, Arkham City contains all the DLC plus extra content on disc, so that more than makes up for it. Games such as CoD will always be prone to that argument, again, I don't really care. AC3 and FIFA 13, same argument. Tekken however, the Wii U version will have extra stuff that the other versions will not, so again, more than justified. This is also the same with Trine 2: Directors Cut. In the case of Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed, the US may the get the Wii U version two days before it is released on other platforms. For us in Europe, we should get the Wii U version two weeks after its multiplatform release.

I doubt you'll be seeing Rayman Legends nor ZombiU any time soon (if at all) on the other platforms, and you certainly won't be seeing Bayonetta 2 on the other platforms either. Even if you are a Nintendo fan, to say the entire launch line-up are all re-releases is a ridiculous statement. There's enough 'new' content and enough 'new' games to keep everyone interested, with only a few of those games being actual direct ports with no additional content.

It's the same situation with the 3DS.

I count six so-called 're-releases': The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Tales of the Abyss, Street Fighter IV 3D (which is arguable), Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, and VVVVVV via 3DS eShop, Sonic Generations was not a re-release, in fact it was a different version entirely (check the Japanese title for that info).

For the record, I don't consider Virtual Console games, or older games made available digitally as re-releases.

22. TwoDaysAgo Wednesday 19th Sep 2012 at 16:51

'The titles that Xbox and PS3 owners will want'

Yes, yes it should.

23. TronFan97 Thursday 20th Sep 2012 at 17:28

Here's what I think are the hardcore games coming to Wii U (in no particular order):
    Bayonetta 2
    ZombiU
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
    Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge
    Assassin's Creed 3
    These were the games that I had in mind when I saw the phrase 'games that PS3 and XBOX owners will want to buy (even though you will be able to get AC3 and Ninja Gaiden on PS3 and Xbox). However, now that blockbuster titles are now starting to emerge on Wii U, I hope that this will encourage the anti-Nintendo douchebags to actually make some good decisions on which console to get. So up yours, so called 'hardcore Xbox/PS3 gamers', Nintendo are winning the console wars yet again!

24. K-tet Thursday 20th Sep 2012 at 18:47

Eh? It's responses like these which are a little too optimistic given that the system actually hasn't been launched yet (as of the date of this post), and certainly a view that is pre-emptive and well, 'them's fighting words'. The main competition hasn't even arrived yet, so let the media and other fanboys throw up the hate over the system. We all know the Wii U is a far more modern and far more powerful machine than the 7th Gen HD consoles. It's not how much power you have, it's how you use it, and with the Wii U, Nintendo are still sticking to their optimisation policy that has served them so well over the years. The more power you have, the lazier developers are to optimise their code for it. However, the more optimised their code is, the faster their game runs, and the more resources they have available to push a system to its limits and further.

25. Shinigami_Link92 Sunday 7th Oct 2012 at 09:07

Dafuq?

Rayman Legends is a WiiU exclusive.

They changed it because they got it wrong.