How to survive in ZombiU

Exclusive interview: ZombiU creative director on how to stay alive in survival mode

Survival mode is not impossible. That's the message from ZombiU creative director Jean-Phillipe Caro who, in the third and final part of our exclusive series of ZombiU interviews reveals some top tips for survival - including how to use the survival kit and messaging system - and also provides some fascinating insight into the making of ZombiU.

1. Messages left by friends online reveal 'secret places'

ONM: Can you tell us about a unique multiplayer mode in ZombiU?

Jean-Phillipe Caro: "People can write down messages on the walls and on the floor of the environment and those messages are sent to a server and all the community have access to those messages on their maps. That gives the player the feeling of not being alone in London.

"Those messages could be helpful or not. In fact, some people could put bad information for you so you would be following wrong messages that you shouldn't trust. But they can also leave you messages that can make you find secret places to find more ammunition or guns and stuff like this

"It's a game about how would I survive in a realistic zombie environment. The game is like a zombie simulator. You have to work out how to survive and what mechanics you will use to survive.

"To drive horror experience in videogames such as Resident Evil, you have to have those 'boo' moments, those scripted tensions in the game. This is what you play, generally, alone. But we wanted to add this online feature to make people feel that they're not really alone in the whole city.

"When you are playing, I have my Wii U and you have yours because we are friends. While I'm playing I'll be able to deliver messages that will be sent to server and the server will identify my friends first to deliver their messages so we'll be able to communicate while we're playing.

"When you turn on your Wii U, you will receive the messages in the match you are entering and there is a filter on this."

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next page

Comments

1. Lonegamer Wednesday 19th Sep 2012 at 12:23

so i wonder how long the game is?
    and when is the next, in the eye of due?

2. lrwr14 Wednesday 19th Sep 2012 at 13:56

The Survival Mode sounds interesting and fun, and the writing on walls sounds like dark souls-I just hope you can write message and not have pre set words.

3. wambamjewel Wednesday 19th Sep 2012 at 15:55

Damn. ZombiU looks epic! I would get it... But if I did, I wouldn't sleep! I'm not good with tension... :oops:

4. Starman64O Thursday 20th Sep 2012 at 15:05

If there won't be any restrictions, I'm not betting against people abusing it

5. conn1496 Thursday 20th Sep 2012 at 16:37

I can see this game being a lot of fun when you have friends along for the experience, but absoloutely exhilarating when you're alone. I imagine this game to have a lot of replay value, and honestly, looks like a game that you would want to play over and over again. This game has several routes, so I imagine players would like to see every possible route, and maybe, if they put in collectables, that will give players the incentive to look around the entire map. It would also add a greater challenge, and I believe that it would really ramp up the tension for those who want to get 100% of things. All in all this game looks amazing. Can't wait! :mrgreen:

6. Elwood212 Tuesday 9th Oct 2012 at 19:57