Scribblenauts Unlimited - another must-have game for Wii U

Maxwell's Silver Hammer / angry chipmunk / zombie pineapple returns

The original Scribblenauts was one of those odd games that set itself a ridiculously high goal then not only met it, but exceeded it. The thought of a game with a library of many tens of thousands of nouns that players could type out and instantly spawn seemed impossible, but developers 5th Cell did it, embedding their miracle dictionary in a quirky puzzle game to keep things interesting.

The sequel, Super Scribblenauts, added adjectives to make for even more possibilities and even more fiendishly head-scratching conundrums. Now with Scribblenauts Unlimited hitting Wii U, Maxwell comes to a home console for the first time, and with the biggest Scribblenauts to date. Not only does it have all the nouns included to date, but allows you to create your own.

Yes, the big addition this time is the object creator. No longer are you limited to spawning real things like angry dinosaurs or green kettles; this time you can build your own stuff using parts from different objects then add your creations to the game's object library.

Virtual Insanity

Now that angry dinosaur can be a flying dinosaur with baguettes for legs, whisks for arms and a mouth that shoots out a never-ending supply of peaches. You can even add simple AI rules for your creation using similar tools to those given to 5th Cell's designers. Despite your dinosaur's fruit-based threat, you could make him a coward by adding a timid personality and setting it to run away if it sees a mouse.

Or, if you want the peaches it fires to have something of a magical quality, why not create human characters who turn into zombies whenever they're hit with a peach? Yes, these ideas are insane, but the great thing is they're no longer the sort of ramblings you'd find written in crayon in a madman's diary - they're real possibilities in Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Once you've completed your creation you'll be able to share it with your friends, unleashing flying dinosaur fruit armageddon on their own game worlds. It's not yet entirely clear whether or not you'll also be able to upload objects to the Miiverse in some way for everyone to use, but we'll be keeping our fingers and toes tightly crossed that becomes a reality when the game's released.

Mindless creation is only so much fun. Gods need purpose, too. Otherwise they get bored and start playing silly buggers ŕ la Clash of the Titans. This is where 5th Cell's level designers step in. What made previous Scribblenauts so compelling were puzzles that required you to think up how you would solve them if you had any object in the world.

Scribble Dribble

The countless different ways of solving each puzzle, and the surprising difficulty of rooting through the tens of thousands of items at your disposal, made Scribblenauts' puzzles addictive. This time things get even better.

Rather than simply being split into small levels as in its predecessors, the stages in Scribblenauts Unlimited are large open-world levels containing many different characters and missions. There'll be around 400 small missions like the ones in the DS games to keep you busy, and completing each of these earns you a shard of a Starite. On top of this though, there are also 80 or so larger missions that see you performing a series of themed tasks that take place over the whole level. One example given to us was a mission in which you have to guide a chap through his love life, starting by wooing a lady, arranging dates for him and ultimately setting up a wedding.

It goes without saying that Scribblenauts Unlimited is set to be the biggest and best game in the series to date. With the new object creation mode, the new world layout, the usual batch of new words added (frog suit and tanooki suit, anyone?) and the addition of co-op gameplay (with one person on the GamePad and others using the Wii Remote pointer), this is looking like another must-have game for the Wii U.

Comments

1. BIGBUTTER Thursday 27th Sep 2012 at 13:03

I have Scribblenauts for my iPad and I must say that its fantastic. I can't wait for this to come out for the Wii U! :P

2. Starman64O Thursday 27th Sep 2012 at 14:38

I need this game!

I can just imagine making funny creations on the Creator Mode, I could make Mario, Link, Pikachu and countless other characters. PURE AWESOMENESS

3. mrgameandwatch Thursday 27th Sep 2012 at 16:45

i cant wait!

I have Scribblenauts for my iPad and I must say that its fantastic.

was it on ipad aswell?

4. MartinIsAwesome Friday 28th Sep 2012 at 08:57

I'll admit, while I was never keen or interested in the two DS games, this one looks like it coud be a potential purchase.

5. CyberGW Saturday 29th Sep 2012 at 19:14

i cant wait!

I have Scribblenauts for my iPad and I must say that its fantastic.

was it on ipad aswell?

Yeah. They made a Scribblenauts Remix for it. Basically the best levels of the two games I think.

6. Scribblenuts Saturday 29th Sep 2012 at 19:56

Plus a few exclusive levels too.

Anyway Scribblenauts!!! WII U!!!! HD!!! ANGRY DEMENTED FRIUT CHUCKING DINOS!!!!!!

O..M..HGFDGRYDGVVGYDXBGRD!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. MagicMan5 Tuesday 2nd Oct 2012 at 18:19

type the word 'nothing' into scribblenauts. I dare you.

8. Elwood212 Tuesday 9th Oct 2012 at 15:14

Looking forward to making my own creations :D

9. manic221 Tuesday 18th Dec 2012 at 19:44

I need this game!

Mario and Link are already in the game... (WiiU version only) shows how much you've been following the game.

10. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 19th Dec 2012 at 11:49

Back off. He posted that comment before any of that was even announced.

11. LOZanges Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 21:39

Feburary 8th 2013, why don't you exist yet? :cry:

12. MagicMan5 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 19:41

I don't know whether to get this or Paper Mario 3ds... I know the scores but I still don't know which to get!

13. TheSlenderman Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 19:53

From what I've heard, go with paper mario. :D

14. manic221 Sunday 27th Jan 2013 at 16:59

Really looking forward to this game :) only 11 days to go!

15. Chuckkle8 Monday 6th May 2013 at 23:58

I've only played the DS version of the game, but this looks 100 times better! Can't wait to pick it up. :')