58 rare and limited edition Nintendo handheld consoles

Have you got any of these?

The Disney Magic Castle 3DS XL that's coming to Japan in July 2013 is just the latest in a long line of limited edition Nintendo handhelds. Indeed, Nintendo has been released limited edition handhelds since the Game Boy days, many of which have become rare collectors items.

Series ranging from Mario to Zelda, Pokemon to Hello Kitty and Kingdom Hearts to Ace Attorney have been celebrated with special edition consoles. It's not just big games series that get some recognition on Nintendo handheld. Limited edition Manchester United, Toyota and The Seattle Mariners consoles have all been produced.

Join us as we look through some of these amazing rare handhelds from Game Boy to DS and the 3DS.

Manchester United Game Boy

Manchester United Game Boy
Manchester United Game Boy
Are you a Man U fan? Got a spare £100? You could buy this Manchester United Game Boy from eBay. This Game Boy was one of a handful of limited edition Game Boy consoles and would have been available in the 1990s when Manchester United were taking over from Liverpool as the top side in England. Indeed, this Game Boy was only available in the UK but we imagine, such is the reach of Man U these days, that if Nintendo released a Manchester United 3DS, it would be available all over the world. Well, perhaps not in Liverpool.

Toyota Game Boy

Toyota Game Boy
Toyota Game Boy
This is really rare as not only was the Toyota Game Boy only available in Japan but you couldn't buy it in the shops. The white Game Boy with the Toyota logo was apparently given away in 1992 to people who bought a certain Toyota car in the country. Unlike Toyota cars at the time, it wasn't exactly flash. After all, it just looks like someone has stuck a Toyota logo underneath the screen. You could do that yourself!

Nintendo Power Game Boy Pocket

Nintendo Power Game Boy
Nintendo Power Game Boy
Why didn't we get one of these? Probably because we didn't exist in 1997 when Nintendo Power celebrated their 100th issue as a competition prize. Still, an Official Nintendo Magazine 3DS XL would be nice wouldn't it? Maybe we should drop the hint next time we visit Nintendo towers. It might be a bit expensive for a covermount though.

Famitsu Game Boy Pocket

Famitsu Game Boy
Famitsu Game Boy
Nintendo Power wasn't the only gaming magazine to be celebrated on a Game Boy Pocket. Legendary Japanese publication Famitsu also got their own handheld in 1996. Naturally, it was only released in Japan. Our reviewers give it 10, 10, 9 and 9.

Seibu Lions Game Boy

Seibu Lions Game Boy
Seibu Lions Game Boy
It wouldn't be fair if Manchester United were the only sports team to get their own Game Boy. Japanese baseball team Seibu Lions dominated the Japan series in the 1980s and 90s, earning them the nickname Invincible Seibu. Surely more important than all those titles was the fact that the team was celebrated with their very own blue Game Boy in 1997, the same year as they lost the Japan series. Maybe it was a bad omen as they didn't win again until 2004, the same year in which Kazuo Matsui became the first Japanese player to be transferred to the MLS.

Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12 13 Next page

Comments

1. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 15:57

50 pages? Is there something wrong with having 5 / 10 consoles for each page?

2. hamzahdsi Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 15:58

50 pages? Is there something wrong with having 5 / 10 consoles for each page?

This is why i don't read ONM articles unless everything is on one page.

3. alexjones94 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 16:01

I've got the Famicon Micro. It's genuinely one of the most beautiful bits of kit I've ever owned. Unfortunately, I'm sticking it on eBay soon, along with most of my Nintendo stuff to pay for Uni costs :(

4. lolly93 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 16:01

i have this ^_^

5. shy guy 64 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 16:02

some cool, some weird, some that just seem pointless

6. SkywardSaix Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 16:03

I would really like the Kingdom Hearts 3DS, and TWEWY Ds Lite. Two of my favourite franchises, my favourite developer.

7. garsh303 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 16:25

I think my cousin may still own a Groudon GBA SP...

8. lrwr14 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 16:47

What about the 3 limited 3DS that people won earlier this year?

I was planning on getting the white 3DS XL, completely forgot about the Monster Hunter 3DS. Might wait and see if they do a MH 3DS XL.

9. Pikachuu Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 16:53

So much want. ;_____;
    Especially the Ace Attorney DSi.

10. thenintendoer Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 17:14

i know this has been said before but onm you really need to change how you layout your pages i mean 50 pages for an article is just ridiculous i dont know anyone who who go through all of them

11. Commandervideo Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 17:25

Who on earth would want a ManU Gameboy? Not me!

12. Kirby8 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 18:05

Have the Mario 3DS (the club nintendo one). I think I have a couple of those Pokémon ones, or my cousin's do. Love the Ace Attorney, TWENTY, and Astro Boy ones. There sure is a lot of branded ones.

13. Riverlution Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 18:18

They are all Pokemon consoles - A Pikachu GBC, Groudon GBASP and I've preordered the Pikachu 3DS XL :D

14. TronFan97 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 18:56

I used to have the Guitar Hero DS, but I sold it to get money for the 3DS at launch. Wish I still had that one instead of my sister's old DS (still works though, and I can do Pokemon transfers).

15. issun1412 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 18:58

Can you message me a link to all your ebay stuff

16. callum2003 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 19:21

Only 1... I've got the mario anniversary edition dsi xl! Even though i had mario bros i still managed to get it for christmas 2010! I'm glad i got it. It looks real cool and i would play NSMBW butonly use the power-ups on the front of the console. And i also watched an unboxing by a french guy that didn't commentate and i watched that about ten times leading up to xmas.

17. NintyFan90 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 19:31

Some cool looking consoles. But other's are really unexpected. Who would of thought of a Toyota and Tommy Hilfiger Game Boy?! :lol:

There's a few Game Boy Color consoles and the Astro Boy Game Boy Light which show an exposed front so you can see the circuits, chips and batteries etc. Around 15 years ago, a Game Boy Pocket with the same design was considered a limited edition console and somewhat rare because to my knowledge it was only available as part of a bundle. (I got it as a birthday present and it came with F1 Race and Alleyway)

18. vix_chan Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 19:38

i got about 8 or 9 of those consoles, i am such a console horder :D

19. 3DSRulesO.K Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 19:52

Thats weird, I was checking this article much earlier, and it had 50 pages with a picture and description on each, but now, they're all gone, the pages I mean, not the screenshots.

20. Baker1000 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 19:59

I don't have any special edition consoles, all of mine are the ones I bought on launch and I've never had to replace a console. Well, except my red original GameBoy (not sure if it was launch colour) which came bundled with Dr. Mario and a black and red Nintendo wallet.

I do have the GB Micro, which is quite rare to see considering the format was basically dead when it launch due to the DS being out earlier that year...and the fact that it wasn't an upgrade purchase because it offered nothing new, and actually made the screen smaller. I was always disappointed that the promised interchangable faceplates never took off in this country. Although I always thought mine was gonna snap whenever I tried to take it off...

21. NSMB23DS Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 20:19

I have seen a kid at a mall with the first DS, y'know, the Mario one. I own the Palkia + Dialga DS, my mom owns the Triforce-only DS, my brother got the Mario DSi XL, and I know a guy with the black Zekrom + Reshiram DSi.

22. xshinox Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 20:21
  23. wendy Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 21:06

I only have two of them, the Toad 3ds and the Mario Dsi XL.

24. C00LI098 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 21:16

Some of these are really, really cool, such as the Triforce DS and Snake Eater 3DS. If only I had money to spend on multiple versions of the same console...

25. fisher2007 Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 21:44

I don't have any rare Nintendo handheld consoles.

26. Wiimote Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 21:46

I have none of those :( what about the GBA SP Tribal & the GBA SP that looks like a NES or SNES controler when you open it?

27. Amethyst Link Tuesday 16th Oct 2012 at 22:19

The only one I have is the Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary 3DS. It may not be rare, but I love it!

28. torterratrainer Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 07:03

i dont see the monster hunter edition 3DS?

29. danbish Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 09:43

50 pages?? Are you serious ONM?? :evil:

You're pulling the same tricks as CVG and I refuse to read their articles when they do this. Seems like you're now catering just for the adverts.

30. lrwr14 Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 10:27

i dont see the monster hunter edition 3DS?

Have another look.

31. tomonm Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 13:03

50 pages? Is there something wrong with having 5 / 10 consoles for each page?

Hi all. It seems some of you aren't happy that I split this over 50 pages. Personally, I always like the 50 lists on sites like Total Film and NME.com where you flick through, wondering what's going to come next. I split the Pokemon consoles into 24 pages for that reason and no one complained.

But, it seems, judging by the comments, 50 might be going a bit far for some of you. I did actually put a bit of work into this feature and I do want people to read to the end without feeling put off so I have done as you have suggested and gone with five per page. In my opinion, that makes it easier for you to read - without having to scroll through tons of pictures on one page - but is less of a slog to get through.

Don't say I never listen!

32. starwarriorsam Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 15:37

I intend to get the Mother 3 Game Boy Micro when i have a bit more money and i already have the Pikachu 3DS XL pre-ordered.

33. danbish Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 18:08

Don't say I never listen!

Thanks Tom, that's much much better!

34. abovethewell Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 18:45

The ONM team are obviously very sorry you have to exercise your little finger to press the arrow :)

35. NessPSI Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 19:29

The Mother 3 GB comes as a deluxe box with the GB, Mother 3 and lots of other merch. I doesn't come by itself, so expect around the Ł390 price mark for the box.

36. pokemanD Wednesday 17th Oct 2012 at 22:13

I have it. I got it as part of a bundle with 8 games, and when I sold the games I got more than the bundle cost. So, cool limited edition GBA SP and money...I should look at secondhand games/consoles more.

37. NINTENDOPOKEMON Thursday 18th Oct 2012 at 06:57

Where is the jigglypuff gameboy?

38. Zing06 Thursday 18th Oct 2012 at 09:40

I had the Guitar Hero DS Lite but had to get rid of it so I could get a 3DS

39. TheMasterSword12 Thursday 18th Oct 2012 at 19:45

If only there as a liverpool ds or gameboy of 3ds or dsi :cry:

40. deKay Friday 19th Oct 2012 at 09:42

I've got a Famicom Micro.

When the Micro was announced, I promised myself I wouldn't buy it if it was more than Ł30.

Then the Famicom one was announced, and I paid almost Ł200 for it.

Don't regret it though :)

41. Night0fCore Friday 19th Oct 2012 at 13:36

*drool* Dat Rockman EXE GBA... I loved the anime and the games... Clocked em all xD I gave the first season of the anime a 10/10.

42. Bexie Friday 19th Oct 2012 at 13:45

I've got the Pikachu Game Boy Colour, found it for a tenner in Swallow Games a while back. :D Wasn't boxed, though ;_;
    They also had the Pikachu N64 in there for about Ł30, but the shop closed down before I could get it.

Also have the Black Reshiram/Zekrom DSi, the Zelda 3DS, and the Zelda GBA SP and the NES SP.

43. Nickario Thursday 13th Dec 2012 at 12:34

What about the Mario/Peach/Toad 3DS's given out earlier this year after entering the sweepstakes when you registered a bunch of chosen 3DS games? D: I thought they mighta been pretty rare, rarer than the Pikachu 3DS XL.

44. froggy1988 Thursday 13th Dec 2012 at 19:17

I have the Zelda special Edition 3ds! :D

45. Linkfan42 Thursday 13th Dec 2012 at 23:12

I have a Club Nintendo Mario 3DS that you forgot to mention. ;P

46. countbleck Thursday 13th Dec 2012 at 23:18

I don't have any of these, but I do have a limited edition Zelda GBA SP which wasn't on the list. It's gold with the Triforce on the front, and it came bundled with Minish Cap. Does anyone know if this is rare or not?

47. LOZanges Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 16:59

I got the Guitar Hero DS lite for my birthday. I love my 3ds more though. ('cause the DS lite broke! :P)

48. ledreppe Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 12:30

Firstly, I refuse to read 50+ pages, secondly what is up with the date on the comments and 3rd I remember reading a report like this a few months ago.

49. Spyrolad Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 12:49

What about the Electroplankton DS?

50. nintenu Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 13:11

It's the same post from months back, be it's been updated slightly ...I think because of the new Disney 3DS or something??

51. Lazara the Last Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 14:00

This one? http://palgn.com.au/media/pics/art_1568_id_6.jpeg

52. kingdra king Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 16:09

I've got a mario vs donkey kong GBA SP my first Nintendo thing not including my dads snes :P

53. Aapje1 Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 16:44

I've got the mushroom 3ds from club Nintendo :)

54. KH81314 Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 18:19

The ones I want most are the Monster Hunter 3DS. Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass DS. Pokemon Black and White DS and Manchester United Gameboy.

55. Gohonq Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 19:23

I have a Tommy Hilfiger GBC lol I bought Pokemon Yellow(again) for it but wow is it hard to play without good lighting.

56. Lucas4s Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 20:40

I would seriously love a Fire Emblem 3DS XL, but by the time it was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, I had just gotten a Pikachu 3DS XL! Though I have none of the other Retro games consoles (the Groudon GBA SP looks AMAZING!).

57. Miguel Sanchez Friday 8th Mar 2013 at 23:38

That Shin Megami Tensei XL is a treasure fit for the Gods (or demons, whatever).

58. Cyber92Dalek Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 01:13

I got the Pokemon Yellow Game Boy Color for my birthday from Choice UK, and I still have it in my room. :)