Pokemon Black and White 2 tips: 12 Pokemon you need in your Pokedex

Don't know which Pokemon you should have in your team? Follow these tips

Pokemon Black and White 2 are out now and if you've just taken your first steps in the new Unova region, you might want to know which Pokemon you should be battling with. After all, the Unova Pokedex boasts more than 300 Pokemon for you to enslave in tiny balls but this Pokemon Black and White 2 tips guide tells you about the 12 that no aspiring Master can afford to be without.

We'll tell you where to find each Pokemon and why they are useful in battle. Have a read and let us know which Pokemon are in your team.

1. Riolu

Riolu
Riolu
Riolu is a brilliant Pokemon to catch in any game. Even better, in Black and White 2, you can find it very early on, before the first Gym. You can find a level five Riolu in the grass around Floccesy Ranch (north-east of Route 20), but it's quite rare, so you'll need to hunt for it. It's definitely worth putting in the time: Riolu is extremely useful against Cheren in the Aspertia City Gym as his Pokemon are of the Normal-type, giving fighting-type Riolu the advantage!

Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11 12 Next page

Comments

1. TheBen Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 12:30

With Magnemite you've put that you can evolve it from Magneto to Magnezone. How ol' Maggy evolves into Magneto i'll never know but I do know he evolves into Magneton first xD

2. shy guy 64 Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 12:53

i think i'll stick to a team of my favrouite pokemon

3. Tamzily01 Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 12:57

Well I already have a Riolu, and was planning on catching a Trapinch anyway. The rest of my team is going to be Pokémon I like. And Whimsicott.

4. redeye Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 13:49

I just caught Riolu, having fun with my Pokemon and Dream Radar :P

5. theycallmejack Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 14:36

Yay I'm so glad I finally know how the Ditto entry was meant to finish in the magazine! It cut off at the bottom for some reason...

6. Pyron12 Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 15:25

I'll try to get a female Riolu when I get Black 2.

7. shy guy 64 Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 16:02

just found out that the avalbility of some of favrouites arent great so turns out i may change mt team slightly

8. fisher2007 Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 20:46

I just caught Riolu, having fun with my Pokemon and Dream Radar :P

I'm having fun too. :D

9. pokemaniac 212 Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 21:47

Only played it for a couple of hours so far due to a mix of the football and socialising, but I'm just past the first gym with a team of Psyduck and Tepig, and really enjoying it so far.

10. emperor ing Friday 12th Oct 2012 at 23:01

Going for a team of some of my favourites this time around. Started with Oshawott and have already took down Cheren with Mareep. Missed out on Riolu just beforehand due to a lack of Pokéballs. Definitely picking up Trapinch and having a standard Flygon.

Generally by the end I want:

Samurott
    Ampharos
    Unfezzant
    Flygon
    Darmanitan
    Lucario

11. tahkshi Saturday 13th Oct 2012 at 09:26

Currently, I have Swadloon, Genesect and Pignite, with Genesect being my main powerhouse :D
    Got past the third gym with them, so all's looking gooood...

12. ThePokekid78 Saturday 13th Oct 2012 at 16:57

Ugh Riolu is just so poor early on...
    Have a burning desire to use Genesect but I dislike using Legendaries in my teams

13. Shmilly Saturday 13th Oct 2012 at 19:18

Thanks to the wonderful crime of Audinocide, I just beat the second gym with a team of lv20-23 Pignite, Lucario, Whirlipede and Elekid. I'm loving the selection from all generations, it's a great mix so far.

14. Kaney Sunday 14th Oct 2012 at 13:37

My team is completed and I've only got 4 gym badges.... I normally don't finish my team until just before the Elite 4. I managed to get a Staryu from Dream Radar so I don't have to wait forever to catch one. So far:

Servine
    Lucario
    Espeon
    Starmie
    Magneton
    Magmar

15. Starman64O Sunday 14th Oct 2012 at 15:57

I wanted to do the whole starter thing, but once I got the C-Gear after an Hour and a bit, It said i needed Tepig to continue my adventure or soemthing. So I have started off with A Tepig, Pork Chop, and once I got the fifith badge I traded over my Serperior. However what I found brillaint was a Growlithe I found in Virbank Complex, I named him Sirius because I had just watched Harry Potter, and he has turned out to be a perfect fighter.

16. wghtmf Sunday 14th Oct 2012 at 17:21

I am in Castelia City but haven't fought the gym yet. My team is Servine Lv17, Magnemite Lv17 and Riolu Lv16. I have Genesect but I don't use Legendaries in my team.

17. Zenuous Sunday 14th Oct 2012 at 17:30

Right now my team is only of Pignite, Keldeo and Magnetmite, but they're doing pretty decent so far, in the 27-28 levels, all infected with the pokerus too.

18. K-tet Monday 15th Oct 2012 at 19:26

This article doesn't cite the Minccino the game practically throws at you. Skill Link is a wonderful ability and providing you teach it Rock Blast and Bullet Seed to go alongside Tail Slap, gives you three 5-hit moves that cover various spectra, and is brilliant for sweeping once evolved into Cinccino. Then again, I don't expect too much from these articles, but for those that have yet to play that might be reading this, take that Minccino and run with it, it'll serve you greatly.

Items such as a Muscle Band or Expert Belt will help Cinccino deal a lot of damage. If you're using it against high-profile trainers such as the Elite Four, give it a Life Orb and let it wreck stuff. Very effective (and actually, a cute Pokémon that can dish out plenty of damage!)

19. abmooG tsriF ehT Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 14:49

I'd actually argue the case for Zubat as a useful Pokémon. You get it at a time when its moves are useful (Wing Attack and Bite - no more getting lucky on Supersonic anymore), it is very strong against Burgh's Gym, and it evolves into Golbat quickly enough, only needing happiness to evolve into Crobat. This means, if you take the time to race around Castelia City on your bike, you have a Level 23 Pokémon that comfortably outspeeds everything you'll see until about Victory Road. That and it's the only member of my "ideal team" that learns Fly:

Samurott / Seismitoad / Golduck
    Serperior / Leavanny / Lilligant
    Darmanitan
    Magnezone
    Lucario
    Crobat

So, Zubat.

20. Lew3107 Friday 26th Oct 2012 at 10:28

I need this game! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the story progresses. My team for the Elite Four will be:

Serperior
    Umbreon
    Jolteon
    Arcanine
    Lucario
    Haxorus

21. marioyudha Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 03:37

>Elekid and Magby have been iconic counterparts since Gold and Silver were released and they make a return in these games

w-what?
    i tought they do it since the first pokemon red and blue (electabuzz and magmar)

22. greenpo08 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 08:49

I think lucario is better than rilou because he is alot cooler

23. harraseda Wednesday 26th Dec 2012 at 18:04

I got the game for Christmas and have just defeated the second gym. At the minute my team is:
    Oshawott
    Magby
    Magnemite
    Riolu
    Lillipup
    Azuril.

Each of them is around level 10-14.

I also have a:
    Patrat
    Sewaddle
    Purloin
    Psyduck
    Venipede

24. Toquill Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 13:42

By the time I had beaten Iris my team was:
    Magnezone (Virbank Complex)
    Volcarona (South(ish) of PWT)
    Landorus-T (Dream Radar)
    Tornadus-T (Dream Radar)
    Gothitelle (Dream World Event)
    Crawdaunt (Traded my starter with a mate 'cause of this Corphish's awesome nature!)

Not my best team, but I like it. Also the first time I've used legendaries in my playthrough team.

25. TheSlenderman Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 17:46

Ditto is awsome. In heartgold I remember using it to make lots of charmanders in the day care centre and having a team full of angry, mad charmanders!
    Also, ditto is rather useful in battle once at a high enough level to soak up a lot of damage while you heal or revive the rest of your team.
    And he looks awsome. :)