Scribblenauts Unlimited is one of the most exciting Wii U and 3DS games

Mario cameos and StreetPass gives John Vekinis reasons to look forward to both versions

Super Scribblenauts on the DS was a pretty tops game. I recall buying a preowned version of the game without having any sort of high expectation for it. In the end, I was taken aback by how much fun and how addictive it was. I'm not the sort of guy to aim for achievements and 100 percenting but with Super Scribblenauts, I made an exception and had oodles of fun gunning for all the gold stars.

What's more, Super Scribblenauts ended up being one of the most creative games I've had the pleasure of playing. Trying to make the zaniest combinations of adjectives and nouns for ridiculous creations was endless fun as was trying to finish levels in the most creative way possible; why make a horse when you can make a Pegasus?

So naturally I was pretty happy about the announcement of a 3DS and Wii U sequel. and PC and now that we're getting close to it being released I'm even more excited. It's one of my most wanted Wii U games.

Scribblenauts Unlimited, as it is known, touts a whole heap of fancy features like a 100,000 word strong dictionary and the recently announced Mario and Zelda cameos for the Wii U version. I've got my fingers crossed for a couple of classic tongue-in-cheek Scribblenauts spoof levels featuring Mario and Zelda.

While the 3DS version doesn't feature Mario and Zelda characters, it does include StreetPass which enables you to share your methods of creatively completing levels. The game will also boast a pretty comprehensive object editor where you can add and remove parts an object, edit its behaviour and change how it interacts with other objects.

It's being described as a "light programming tool" by the series' creator and can be used to make objects as varied as unicorns shooting rainbow lasers to hotdog dinosaurs. I'm looking forward to getting really creative with this, especially after seeing a Cthulu being transformed into a Clownthulu in the launch trailer. What's more, there's an option for sharing your creations with friends, fingers crossed for an online database of created objects to choose from.

It's pretty clear that I'm looking forward to Scribblenauts Unlimited. For me it's one of the most exciting games in the Wii U's launch window and it's all down to the bushels of creativity the Scribblenauts creator Jeremiah Slaczka has managed to pump into it.

Comments

1. HyrulianToad Sunday 21st Oct 2012 at 10:20

With the announcement of mario and zelda cameos it'll be the the wii u version for me. 8)

2. TheNUKEnukeM Sunday 21st Oct 2012 at 10:52

Gonna need to pick it up when its cheaper, for the zelda and mario cameos alone. Nintendo seem to be a lot more sharing with there licences what with this and tekken. In a way I wish it was a download on eshop. All I did in the original was use the main menu mode thingey and experiment. I brought it on ios earlier this year and loved it because it was just simply the main menu in my pocket.

3. CraigEmberson Sunday 21st Oct 2012 at 12:10

In one of the images, it looks like a Twilit Butterfly, as it has TP patterns on it... either that or it is a Butterfly Sticker lol

4. dap005 Sunday 21st Oct 2012 at 14:49

I absolutely can't wait for unlimited. Loved Super Scribblenauts so much that I purchased it again when my first game got stolen (long story). Personally I think games should have more tophat-donning-scone-shooting-purple-rubber-ducks in them so I'll be making plenty of those on SU.

5. torterratrainer Sunday 21st Oct 2012 at 17:07

i remember getting the first one.
    when i found the way to ride a kraken i was gobsmacked :)

6. Agent Nos Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 16:06

Unicorns shooting rainbow lasers? John, are you a brony perhaps? ;p

7. BrychanCymru Friday 26th Oct 2012 at 15:38