Want to play EA's Wii U games online? You need to send them your Nintendo Network ID

You need an Origin account to play FIFA and Mass Effect online

Nintendo has revealed very little about Wii U's online system but thanks to EA's privacy policy we know that your account will be linked to a Nintendo Network ID, your Mii information and you'll also have a friend list. You'll need to transfer this information to EA if you want to play games such as FIFA 13 and Mass Effect 3.

You see, if you want to play EA's Wii U games online, you'll need an Origin account as well as your Nintendo Network ID.

This information comes from EA's privacy policy which reads: "If you sign up to play EA games through a Nintendo Wii U console, your Nintendo account information will be provided to EA so that we can establish an Origin Account for you. You need an Origin Account to play EA's titles online. By signing up to play EA's titles, you agree that limited user account information can be transferred to EA. Information transferred to EA includes your Mii information, email address, Nintendo Network ID, friend list, country, language and date of birth but does not include credit card number or other financial account information."

It is the same for Xbox 360 owners as they both have to agree to transfer their Gamertag while PS3 owners also have to transfer limited user information.

So the fact that you'll need an Origin account isn't a big deal but it's nice to hear a few little details about Wii U online.

Comments

1. Abe hikura Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 08:48

Wonder how many people will misunderstand this?

The only thing of real news here ties into a rumour from the past where each wanted origin to run on the Wii u. I doubt origin will be on U but I reckon you'll be able to access your origin account perhaps merging the two friends lists. Eg the Wii u will up date with your origin friends added to your Wii u friends if they have it too and vice versa, that would be handy

2. Dwarph Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 09:01

no because origin.
    origin should go crawl over hot coals and burn to death.

3. K-tet Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 09:42

"Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing any of that. Origin can go burn in the fiery depths of hell. Having to connect to Origin in order to play EA games online? That sucks."

Well, it's to be expected. Of course it sucks, it's Origin. I'm well aware we were saying the same things about Steam all those years ago, but look at how that transformed itself. Origin isn't going to be anything close to Steam. Origin's just bad, but to play EA games online, it's required. It would've been nice if the Wii U could differentiate itself from its competitors by using its own servers and no other piece of software, but let's be honest, the only time EA will allow that to happen is when hell freezes over.

However, we know about the Nintendo Network ID and how that's going to work with Wii U. However, they need to link one Nintendo Network ID account to that person's Wii U and 3DS devices. Once we find out from Nintendo that stance has the green light, it'll be perfect. I'd want to register both my Wii U and 3DS under one Nintendo Network account, and I'm sure there are a plethora of people that want to do the same.

4. CraigEmberson Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:23

Wait a minute, Steam sucks just as much as Origin and people rave about it... Seriously, my partner tries to play Football Manager but can't unless Steam is CONSTANTLY open. It shouldn't need to be, especially as I can close Origin when I play The Sims 3.

5. KairiZero Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 12:01

Not a new thing really, both Xbox and PS3 games come with online passes, EA's Origin account system isn't any different other than a few bits of selective information - theres no credit card information or anything sensitive taken as far as I know, so I don't see what the issue would be - its fairly modern practice anyways thesedays, I was fully expecting EA to announce this, along with many other companies.

6. King Slazo Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 12:02

Its almost like you bought it through Steam. Seriously, that's like saying I bought this game for my Wii-U I should be able to play it when its turned off.

Anyway, I'm used to this. Had to jump through these sorts of hoops back when Burnout Paradise first came out on 360, so this is normal for anyone who's used to online gaming outside of the Nintendoverse.

7. Dwarph Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 13:17

im not bias against origin because it sucks(which it does), im bias against it because it wasnt needed at all. ea didnt need to create a whole new online service, the resources were already there. now they have a buggy really bad service which DWARPH DISLIKES

:x

8. OrangeRakoon Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 16:13

They are right in saying Steam is terrible though.

I use it, it is the most convenient thing to do, and good in many respects. But the amount of DRM and general annoyance it gives is pretty terrible (especially trying to play in offline mode). Plus it not being very well designed in general.

I wish EA hadn't done this, but I can't say I'm surprised. Goddamn EA

9. Riverlution Tuesday 23rd Oct 2012 at 17:21

I don't mind registering EVERY game I buy if the online doesn't suck ass.

10. nintenu Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 12:10

No thank you, not interested!
    Not that I will ever buy another EA release ...EVER!!!

11. clarkee013 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 20:45

ive been banging on about this as well and hoping it all comes true!!