Best Wii U games to buy for Christmas

What's on your wish list?

Now we are officially allowed to think about Christmas. Forget playing games such as charades or a family quiz (maybe that's just my Christmas) after you've eaten your turkey for you can get the whole family to play proper games. In a series of special features we're going to tell you the best games to buy for Wii U, 3DS and DS and we'll also give you some advice on how to get your family into gaming. We'll begin with the console that everyone is talking about. Wii U.

Now many of you won't have to wait until Christmas to buy the best Wii U games as the console will be released on 30 November. However, some of you will have that agonising wait as you're forced to stare at that big box under the tree for days on end while your friends are getting stuck into ZombiU. If you're one of those people, here are the games you should ask for in your stocking. If you're not, we've also included some games that will be great to play with the family on Christmas Day.

FIFA 13 Wii U

If you're anything like me, your Christmas Day afternoons would be spent playing football games against a sibling. Whether it was International Soccer on the Commodore 64, Sensible Soccer on the BBC Archimedes or Pro Evolution Soccer on the (whisper it quietly) PlayStation, me and my brother would spend the hours before Christmas dinner playing football.

It would be a pretty miserable Christmas Day if you had to play FIFA 13 Wii but the Wii U version is much better. In fact, it is the best football game that has ever been on a Nintendo console. As with the Wii version, it's got all the players, teams, kits and stadiums but this time it is wonderful to play. As a football game, it as strikes just the right balance between fun and realism - you can expect end-to-end action rather than boring midfield battles but the final score won't be 23-20 like it used to be in FIFA games when the ball curled each time you took a shot on goal.

FIFA 13 Wii U may not boast all the features that are in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions but it does throw in some exclusive GamePad features, including touchscreen passing, shooting and the ability to move your players off the ball. While these are good fun, it's the Manager Mode which could ensure that your who family get involved in FIFA on Christmas Day.

Dad no good at games? Get him to act as the manager as you play on the pitch in this co-op mode. He'll have an overwhelming array of stats at his fingertips which will enable him to change formations and tactics. He'll even be able to move players off the ball with your with the touchscreen. This is a mode for real football fans.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. Pyron12 Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 09:55

I'm interested in Nintendo Land, Tekken Tag Tourney 2 + Sonic All Stars Transformed.

2. skyluigi Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 10:00

I'll be getting New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land, but they're the only two launch games I'm interested in.

3. Super llama bro Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 10:23

Im getting mario bros u, zombiiu, game and wario and assassins creed 3. I will already have nintendo land because it comes with the premium wii u. Im not sure though if i want to get lego city and maybe wind waker for my gamecube that i recently bought since rayman legends and pikmin 3 have been delayed until early 2013.

Also, can anyone reccomend some good gamecube games? So far i have double dash, luigis mansion, pokémon colleseum, and metroid prime 1 and 2. My friend is buying me mario sunshine for christmas because he owes it to me to make up for some money i gave him

4. ThePokekid78 Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 10:41

You've pretty much got the good 'uns there bro! Of course there's Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Resi 4 and Smash Bros Melee, but as long as you've got the Prime games you're sorted imo

5. LavaTwilight Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 11:30

If you're gonna get ZombiU why not get the ZombiU bundle? It's a bit more expensive but then you get the controller! Also in most places, NintendoLand is currently discounted to Ł40 but ZombiU is still riding high at about Ł50, so the potential there means it's not just getting a ProController for cheaper, you're getting ZombiU cheaper too!

As for me I'll be getting the top 3 on this list! I'm also undecided on Lego City: Undercover and I'm undecided on Tekken 2. I avoid beat-em-ups like the plague (Smash Bros being an exception lol) but this one, as my 'definitive' might just be enough to bring me over... :wink:

6. LavaTwilight Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 11:32

If you love the Mario Party games I love Mario Party 6 and 7 (imo theyre the best). If you can, get a hold of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem! It's an awesome game, much underrated but so many people will recommend it! Also it's worth picking up F-Zero GX.

7. AquaMisty Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 11:35

And this article has a bit saying about the poor people who have to wait for christmas to get a Wii U. I have to wait for my birthday on March 20th to get a Wii U.

8. 3ds234 Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 13:48

Im going to get ZombiU,Assassins creed 3,Fifa 13,Mario bros U and Black Ops 2.If Lego City Undercover comes out before Christmas ill get that instead of Fifa 13 and wait for Fifa 14.

9. HyrulianToad Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 15:01

Ordered it for launch on Amazon along with Nintendo land , NSMB , ZombiU , Batman AC , and assassins creed 3. 8)
    I'm still hoping scribblenaughts will be announced for launch , I'll definitely be getting the WiiU version now because of mario cameos and object creator.

10. RainbowGazelle Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 18:32

I'm not asking for any of these for Christmas. I refuse to buy any EA game, Assassin's Creed is just mindless killing, NSMBU is exactly the same as every Mario game ever, ZombiU is over-priced, and Nintendo Land comes with the Premium pack which I'll be getting anyway, so I don't need to ask for it. I'm after Batman and Sonic Racing instead. Oh, and maybe Tank Tank Tank as that's at a decent price.

11. me4ndubz Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 19:11

hypothetically if my parents would actually get me these games, my wish list would be TTT2, AC3 and Mass Effect 3

12. me4ndubz Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 19:13

every gamecube owner needs super smash bros melee in their collection without a doubt. if you like the legend of zelda then i suggest getting wind waker

13. goldtanooki Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 20:14

There was a feature many onms ago... anyway it reccomended odama(military stratagey+pinball. yes, pinball) ,mario golf: toadstool tour and billy hatcher and the giant egg and many more. plus if you like your sonic then get sonic gems collection. hope this helped

14. ninjafox Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 21:49

Nintendo Land certainly seems like it will be the game that interests the family in the same way Wii Sports did but as it features Nintendo characters and has a wider varity of games it will be even better.

Also, can anyone reccomend some good gamecube games?

As LavaTwilight said Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem is a fantastic and a much underated Gamecube game. Also Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door :)

15. KKNinty347 Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 22:44

I'll be getting the premium pack (with Nintendo Land) and two other games. I think I'll get New Super Mario Bros. U (a given) and Batman: Arkham City AE (a long game to keep me going). If my budget allows it, I may even get more! :)

16. imbusydoctorwho Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 23:23

Nintendo Land is coming with my Wii U,but I'll probably ask for some games.
    NSMBU seems like a safe choice,but I'm thinking about getting Sonic Racing,Tekken,and Batman.
    I do want Epic Mickey 2,but I'm gonna get it on Wii cause it'll be cheaper.

17. Serebii Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 11:10

I want Scribblenauts for launch. US is getting it at launch but we have no word here :(

18. nintenu Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 13:45

I want NSMBU but can only find this for Ł36, so that’s a no!
    Sega releases generally drop in price after a month or two, so Sonic All Star Racing will be a buy after Christmas.
    However I will have Tekken and Nintendoland to look forward to…unless I find some more Wii U games under Ł30!!!

19. SM3DL2 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 00:01

I'm only vaguely interested in New Super Mario Bros. U (and this time, it better be 'New.'). I'm too much of a coward for ZombiU. I might just wait until a really good game comes out for the WiiU then get it.

20. SM3DL2 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 00:02

WiiU games are too expensive. Ł49.99? No way.