Sonic The Hedgehog 2 coming to 3DS eShop

The best Sonic game will be available in Japan next week

Sonic The Hedgehog 2, arguably the best Sonic game ever, is coming to the 3DS eShop.

However it's not the Mega Drive version but the Game Gear game which will be available to download in Japan next week. This 8-bit version of the game was also released on the Sega Master System and features different level designs.

Still, it received many 90% review scores when it was released for Sega's handheld in 1992 with critics enjoying Sonic's quest to save Tails from Dr Robotnik.

Sonic 2 has yet to be confirmed for the UK but you can download the Mega Drive original now from the Wii Shopping Channel.

Comments

1. reeesy Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 08:36

Yes!!! I'v been waiting for this! Fingers crossed it comes to the UK soon!

2. ACRID Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 08:36

Would much rather have the Master System version of Sonic 2 than the Game Gear, the larger screen area makes the game more enjoyable in my opinion.
    My 9 year old self adored this game when it first came out, eventually completing it with the good ending was a fine achievement for a young lad and I actually preferred it over the other Sonic 2 for Mega Drive, the mine cart levels are a blast, though memory tells me that Sonic Chaos was the best of the bunch for the 8-bit consoles.

3. Mario84 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 08:49

I'll pass thanks. Why they bother releasing the worst version of the game, I'll never know...

4. sciqueen Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 09:13

I can't get past the first boss without the level select cheat...

5. K-tet Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 09:27

Sonic 2's the best Game Gear offering you say? Clearly you're wrong. The original Sonic 1 was a far better game than Sonic 2. Sonic 2 was best enjoyed on the Master System. Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the Megadrive flat-out destroys Sonic 2 on the Megadrive too.

I'll be waiting until Sonic 1 gets released on the Game Gear Virtual Console. Definitely not interested until then.

6. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 09:38

I only ever managed to beat it with a level select code. SPOILERS: Tails dies at the end... I think.

And yeah, the Game Gear version's smaller screen size crops alot of what you can see making even the first boss fight practically impossible.
    Already got it on other formats so I won't be getting.

7. Tamzily01 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 09:48

Eh, only if you don't get all the Chaos Emeralds. Besides, if I remember, some of the music in this game was remixed for Sonic CD.

8. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 10:21

Nobody human got all the Chaos Emeralds.
    And the music you're thinking of is the theme for Green Hills Zone which shares a melody with "Sonic - You Can Do Anything", but as far as I can tell that's it.

9. Smort Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 10:27

Gosh, I've always hated Sonic 2. That horrible, unbearable first boss! :cry:

10. KairiZero Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 11:58

Awesome stuff, although I think I would have preferred the MegaDrive version of the game - beggars can't be choosers :D

11. Tailzy Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 12:03

you say its arguably the best Sonic game ever then go on to say its the game gear version

why would you do that

12. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 12:05

I hope this come to the UK,could be a very good game.

13. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 12:10

I hope this come to the UK,could be a very good game.

If yo want to play it you'd be better off getting the Master System version which is already on the Wii Virtual Console.

14. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 15:03

Y u no release Mega Drive games? Grrrr!
    I hated the Master System and Game Gear Sonic games. Me want Mega Drive ones :x

15. angrybaldman666 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 15:45

I still not understand why Nintendo does not put Megadrive games in the e-shop for the 3DS it could easy run them and there where some great games out there.

16. Darkblizz Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 23:24

This version of Sonic 2 is an even bigger pain in the arse than Sonic 3D. Still, at least it's a platformer, unlike Sonic Labyrinth.