Capcom: We could create a unique Resident Evil game on Wii U

Resident Evil Revelations director wants to try out Nintendo's new console

Resident Evil Revelations director Koshi Nakanishi has told Official Nintendo Magazine that Capcom could make a unique Resident Evil game for Wii U.

Resident Evil 6 has recently been released for Xbox 360 and PS3 but Nakanishi believes that GamePad would give Capcom the opportunity to make something different on Nintendo's new console.

"The Wii U certainly looks like it will enable creators to come up with all kinds of never-before-seen gameplay ideas," said Nakanishi. "There are lots of things I'd like to try out on it."

While stopping short of confirming a Resident Evil game for Wii U, Nakanishi added that he'd want to make something a bit different.

"If I was to work on a game for the Wii U, I would definitely want to make something that couldn't be done on any other hardware.

"The GamePad's separate screen enables so many possibilities, and playing on a television screen would enable sharing the experience in a way that wasn't possible on Nintendo 3DS. I feel it would let us create a very unique and fun Resident Evil game."

Loading video...

Koshi Nakanishi discusses the making of Resident Evil Revelations in issue 88 of Official Nintendo Magazine which is out now.

Comments

1. Abe hikura Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 09:18

I imagine this game would be a cross between ZombiU and revelations

2. K-tet Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 09:32

To be fair, RE6 is selling very poorly, and there are quite a few people that have said it was overhyped and hasn't delivered. Similarly, critics have praised ZombiU by saying it's more Resident Evil than Resident Evil, so you go figure on that one.

Capcom can talk the talk but the bottom line is if they're going to use the Wii U for spin-offs only without any of the main entries then that's a disappointment. I'm one for more games on the system, but they might as well keep them in the think tank if they won't release any supporting main entry games on Wii U.

3. tomonm Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 11:26

I think it would be unfair to call Resident Evil Revelations a spin off. As you say RE6 hasn't delivered for many Nintendo fans so what do you want? The way the main Resident Evil series is going, would you want the next main series game on Wii U. Or would you like a spin off like Revelations which delivers what fans of survival horror want.

4. KairiZero Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 12:02

I would like a much slower paced "back to roots" game next in the RE universe. I have only played the demo of 6, and I can't say I was bowled over by it. 5 wasn't all it was cracked up to be either if you ask me. I've no problem with Capcom taking a change in direction, but it seems they've lost what made the original games the great experiences they were.

I say drop all the QTE nonsense, strip it back a bit - and focus more on puzzles and making the combat better paced.

5. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 12:04

A sequel to Revelations,would be a very well welcome addition to the Wii U's library.

6. Lew3107 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 17:55

I have nothing against Resident Evil 6 and I would happily pick it up for the Wii U. In my opinion, the main reason people call it a bad game is that it isn't true to Resident Evil's roots. If you appreciate the game for what it is this time around, an action game, then it's not half bad.
    I'd prefer if Capcom ported Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition or DmC: Devil May Cry for the Wii U, but I would welcome any of those games from them.

7. thenintendoer Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 18:16

well consiering how well they did with that plan with resident evil 4 that should leave many peopel including me very excited

8. Mr Roboto Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 06:37

I've got resident evil 6 on PS3 and its not too bad, I think RE4 and RE5 are better because I think the developer has tried to put too many different ideas into RE6 and it doesn't flow as well in my opinion.

Boss battles are not very clear on what to do for example.

I love the online co-op game play i think that mode is essential for every RE game now days.

I'm sill pleased with the game but perhaps I was expecting too much from what might be the last RE game on current generation consoles (360 & PS3 )

It would be handy mixing herbs on the gampad for example :wink:

9. K-tet Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 10:44

A spin-off's a spin-off, even if it has fundamental grounding as a standalone game or is a supporting entry to another. There have been some excellent supporting games (Revelations being one of those), but they were still spin-offs nevertheless. I'd personally want to see more of the main series games on Wii U. Look at the Cube as to why.

I'd happily pay 50 for an HD release of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis if it found its way on Wii U. 6 was appalling yes, but 7 (if made) could well be a complete U-turn. We're lucky in that ZombiU is more of a survival horror than the main Resident Evil entry is as Nintendo fans, but putting loyalties aside, I want main entry games from established franchises on the system I invest in, especially if they're franchises I enjoy playing. Spin-offs are fine, but main entries show more faith from the parent company.

10. Pyron12 Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 07:29

I imagine this game would be a cross between ZombiU and revelations

That's what I think as well but with the stuff that made RE4 brilliant incorporated into a sequel for Revelations.