What are the best and worst selling Nintendo consoles?

The complete list revealed

Why did Nintendo decide to completely change direction with the Wii? The reason is immediately obvious when you look at the list of the best and worst selling Nintendo consoles of all time.

The much-loved GameCube was, in fact, one of Nintendo's least successful consoles. This forced Nintendo to realise that they had to offer something different to their rivals and expand the market beyond the traditional Nintendo hardcore. And so we had the Wii, a console with a Wii Remote that took us back to the simple days of playing games on a pad with very few buttons, only this time it was motion controlled.

Then Nintendo changed things up again by releasing Wii U, a console which comes with a tablet-style controller which features a touchscreen. It's got a long way to go if it is going to be one of Nintendo's best-selling consoles ever. That said, it's already beating one of Nintendo's consoles...

11. Virtual Boy

Hardware sales: 770,000 shipped

Software sales: Unknown

Virtual Boy
Virtual Boy
The one console that Nintendo don't include on their infographic which reveals their console sales. It has almost been deleted from history. Indeed, it didn't take long for it to be deleted from shop shelves. Released in Japan in July 1995, it had been discontinued by the end of the year thanks to poor sales. It survived until March 1996 in the US but was never even released in the UK.

Designed by Gunpei Yokoi, who also created the phenomenally successful Game Boy (more on that later), the Virtual Boy was way ahead of 3DS, promising to be the first console to deliver 3D graphics. It looked unlike anything you'd ever seen before as to view those 3D graphics, you didn't look at a screen but peer through a headset to see the cheap black and red visuals.

When we say cheap, we mean it. For like the Game Boy before it, Yokoi chose to go with the infamous red screen because, like Game Boy, he wanted to ensure that Virtual Boy was affordable. And at $180 it was. Trouble is, no one bought it and with stories of people complaining about it giving them headaches, it was doomed. Only 22 games were ever released for this console, including Mario Clash, 3D Tetris and Wario Land.

For more on Nintendo's most infamous folly, read our history of Virtual Boy.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. JamieRIOT Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 13:14

Gamecube is the most underrated console of all time in my opinion. I loved it!

2. mushroomchow Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 13:31

You missed Virtual Boy, which was a total bomb and kind of ruins the correlation.

3. tomonm Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 13:34

No I didn't count Virtual Boy and for a good reason. It never came out in the UK. Just so you know, it only shipped 700,000 worldwide.

4. danbish Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 13:42

I own them all on this list. So many happy memories, ahhhhhh..... :D

5. Drsayus123 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 13:55

What about the Game and Watch?

6. tomonm Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 14:00

The Game and Watch isn't really a console as you can't play different games on them. Each one is an individual game.

7. Cocacola Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 14:07

I hope the Wii U sells well...

8. Xenokami Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 14:56

"Or girls who enjoyed using the stylus to strike their puppies in Nintendogs."
    Was Nintendo advocating animal abuse?!

9. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 14:58

I was surprised with the Gamecube - all of my friends used to have one and they're X-Box owners now. It's looking good for the 3DS, but I'm not sure about the Wii U. The Wii sold so well because it was cheap and appealed to (almost) everyone, but the Wii U is a bit more expensive and I don't think it will grab the attention of younger kids as much. I think that when the Wii U launches, there will be an increase in the sales of Wii consoles, as the parents can't afford a Wii U, but still want to get their kids something exciting.
    I owned a Gamecube, a GBC, a GBA SP (which I preferred to the original), a Wii and a 3DS. I also had a Mega Drive, which I loved (SONIC!). I'm gonna buy a Wii U too, and I can't wait for GBA games in the eShop.

10. Gapa Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 15:11

I have only had 4 out of 9 of these, but I was thinking of getting a game cube...

11. Pyron12 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 15:22

And Okami wasn't mentioned despite its beautiful art style? or No More Heroes because of it being a very good third party game? But I guess the Wii section could go on and on and on...
    The 3DS has already outstripped the GC so no one can call it weak.

12. CDS Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 15:24

I fantasize all the time about making a new Gamecube so as to bring it back into the fray. The games on it were great. While there are great games on the Wii, developers were put off it, and so eventually I did drift away.
    But the memories with the Gamecube, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, and DS and 3DS, plus the Wii, were all great.
    However, all through those, I did own all the Sony consoles, but the PS3, like I said, was only bought when I started drifting away from the Wii. And now I also own an XBOX 360, with Kinect . Out of the three though, I have to say that the Wii was the best in motion controls.

13. 3DSRulesO.K Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 15:30

Actually, the first Mario Kart game to have online was Mario Kart: Double Dash, it was a very under used feature, since you needed a LAN adapter for the GameCube.

14. Darkblizz Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 16:52

After the 3DS, going back to the original DS feels a bit weird. I noticed it when doing the memory link in White 2.

15. thenintendoer Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 18:15

knew this already thanks to wikipedia but still a very good read (i happen to be one of those poeple who still owns an original ds yay me :) )

16. CraigEmberson Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 18:36

What about the Game and Watch?

The Game & Watch isn't a console... A console is literally called that because it does multiple things from one central point.

17. CraigEmberson Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 18:38

Your comment confuses me... You're talking as if Wii U is another Wii and just like 3DS - it's not a remade console. The 3DS is not a DS upgrade and the Wii U is not a Wii upgrade. Wii is now a brand name or franchise of sorts - exactly like the PlayStation name. Wii U is expensive because it's not only more powerful than Wii, but it's quite a bit more powerful than the already a lot more high-powered consoles of Wii's generation. You need to understand how this works because I don't think you do...

18. Samster296 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 18:58

It was pretty obvious that the Gamecube sold the worst and the DS sold the best. It's a shame the Gamecube didn't sell well because that is my favourite console. Closely followed by the N64.

19. NSMB23DS Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 21:06

I own 2 DS lites, GBA SP, Wii ,3DS ,DSi ,NES ,Gamecube, and pre-ordered Premium Wii U. Notice my loyalty to Nintendo.

20. fisher2007 Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 22:30

I hope the Wii U sells well...

21. RedDwarf Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 22:38

Very good article and an enjoyable read, Thanks Thomas. :)

22. Wiimote Wednesday 24th Oct 2012 at 23:54

Interesting read i enjoyed that & brought back some awesome memories. I still own my gameboy color, GBA, GBA SP Tribal, DS, DSi & 3DS. I also have a Gamecube & Wii. Nearly picked up a gameboy a few months ago but didnt, wish i did now.

23. carnivine chaos Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 00:13

I thought the original DS design was great; comfortable to hold and the D-pad is much better than the DS Lite's.

24. callum2003 Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 07:42

Woohoo i got super mario sunshine! After a long debate!

25. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 09:35

Aww, poor Gamecube.

26. me4ndubz Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 10:16

i kinda wish i didn't sell my original ds now, just for the memories

27. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 11:27

Lets hope the Wii breaks into the 100 million mark before the end of the year.

28. K-tet Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 11:36

To save you all a massive forum post, you can read my reasoning to this exact list in order here: http://pastebin.com/MfZaiU4A

I will say this though, having played and owned every one of these consoles in the 20+ years I've been gaming, the only other company I could write such a lengthy article over would be Sega. Sony aren't really worth threepence of my time, and Microsoft... not even worth ha'penny.

29. VR-4nic Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 15:32

WTF! Virtual Boy is by far Nintendo worst selling console of all time! How can it not even make this list? This article fails for that reason! :cry:

30. Herbert_Rarr Thursday 25th Oct 2012 at 15:49

What I'm saying is one of the reasons why the Wii sold so well was because it was cheap. The Wii U is a more competitive console; it is more powerful than all those already on the market, it's new and therefore more expensive (I do know it's an entirely new console). So when, at Christmas, kids start asking their parents for a games console, some might not be able to afford the Wii U, so go for the cheaper Wii instead to try and satisfy their children.

31. 1steagle Friday 26th Oct 2012 at 07:00

I own them all on this list. So many happy memories, ahhhhhh..... :D

wow hardcore nintendo or what :mrgreen:

32. mr FBE Friday 26th Oct 2012 at 11:47

This comments stems from this article only mentioning online multiplayer in terms of mariokart DS

In the same way the N64 mario kart was great because of local multiplayer (the same holds true for its GC and Wii followers) the DS version remains my favourite because of how amazingly simple it was in terms of local multiplayer. ive been on a coach upto scotland playing mariokart with 4 other people just over wi-fi. mariokart 7 would be phenomenal if more people had it but my point is local multiplayer is a dying art and its isnt all about playing online

33. Komodo_Wolfgang Friday 26th Oct 2012 at 19:36

Get one, theyre an absolute bargain. you can pick them up for around 15 and some places like CEX still do great games for it. Fantastic consoles, plus the purple ones look like a snazzy piece of modern Art!

As successful as 3DS has been, it has a long way to go to beat this.(DS)

And it probably never will, what with everyone STILL complaining that the 3D is the only thing it has to offer and strongly believing it hurts their eyes no matter what.

34. robbiebob Friday 26th Oct 2012 at 20:46

GameCube was the unsung hero of the new generation of its time. Underrated in many ways. Extremely unpopular in UK.
    I loved it the games were unqiue but mostly forgotten in time.
    R.I.P
    GameCube

35. Fergster Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 13:28

My favourite console was, is and will likely remain so for many years to come - the N64. I love my 3DS, and the Wii is absolutely awesome, but nothing can compare to those first blissful hours spent playing Super Mario 64 on release back in 1997 with the ability to move in any direction. Honestly, gamers who have been brought up on the current or previous generation of consoles just cannot begin to imagine the incredible impact the N64 had at the time it was released. It was a truly mind-blowing experience and everything since has really just been incremental steps with no real earth-shattering, game-changing innovations to be seen. And until such time as one can actually enter a game in a fully realised virtual environment, I don't believe any new console will equal the impact of the N64 when it was first released.

Oh, and original DS is the best selling console? Really? Would not have guessed that to be the case.

36. The_BAAD_Man Tuesday 13th Nov 2012 at 09:17

It's a shame that the Gamecube didn't do so well. I love it!

Another great thing about the GBA is that it satisfied RPG lovers, like myself! Golden Sun, anyone?

37. JoeOdranDoran Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 11:36

Woah Woah! Gameboy, ugly? That thing's got retro-beauty in droves! (though I'll admit, my nostalgia goggles are at full power, since I just discovered my old one up in the loft)

38. kallymsmarties Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 11:46

I have so much love for Nintendo and to be honest, I think Wii U will shoot up in sales with all the things Nintendo are doing. Not just the amazing new Zelda, smash bros, Mario and Pokemon games but they are giving us the update that they wanted and the virtual console will be back and slowly improve so more of virtual console could be shown on E3 like GAMECUBE!
    which will prove GameCube was a great console, just never had a good chance.

39. alexkinch Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 14:03

Just got my wii u and glad all my vc stuff got sent over. But my fave nintendo system is the gba. Snes and mega drive ports, original games, playing cartoons on the go (video carts, got loads in my collection) b4 ipods did it, pokemon wireless battles, the gba played my gb games from as far back as 1990. Thats amazing value for money.

Also the gameboy player is best way to play oracle of seasons and ages. 12 years after they got released still no eshop, vc or remake.

40. KH81314 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 14:56

I only own four of these.

41. TheSlenderman Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 16:38

I have only 4 of these; wii, ds, 3ds, & gameboy, but it is nice to know that I can get all the classics ( bar gamecube) on the wiis virtual console. :D

42. abovethewell Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 17:22

Gamecube is the most underrated console of all time in my opinion. I loved it!

Amen, my Gamecube is my most prized possession :') Beautiful design, awesome controller and so many cool little features- the start menu you found by holding a on startup anyone? It may be little, but watching the icon spin by pressing buttons was really cool. Plus the games... Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil... the list goes on and on :D

43. Dalekbuster523 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 17:27

I really hope 3DS takes over DS to become the best selling Nintendo console. The 3DS is by far the best Nintendo console of all time. Great grames,fantastic graphics,easy to use,3D effects....
    It has everything.

44. sean161 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 18:03

huge fan, own most of these, looking for Nintendo Friends... message me on twitter, sean161

cheers :)

45. IceKimi Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 18:12

Gamecube is the most underrated console of all time in my opinion. I loved it!

46. vtheyoshi Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 18:15

Gamecube is the most underrated console of all time in my opinion. I loved it!

This.
    Ahh, the memories.

47. ledreppe Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 00:44

For me it's a tie between the NES and SNES (I actually got a Super Famicom Japanese import before the UK launch). I love my 3DS and Wii U there are some great games for both systems and more coming this year. Maybe it's the nostalgia from my childhood, but the first 2 home consoles always seem to have the fondest memories, Super Mario World, my first experience with the first Mario Kart game that debuted on the SNES, F-Zero, StarFox, Street Fighter 2 I could go on. And of course the NES for all the great Nintendo franchises that debuted on the 8-bit wonder, Super Mario Bros 1-3 etc.

48. CraigEmberson Wednesday 24th Apr 2013 at 15:11

ONM, why can't you list them on one page? It's a chore flicking through all the pages, when it could all load on one page, easy to read.

49. jaco_p Wednesday 24th Apr 2013 at 16:35

Not reading this article. Infuriated and pointless to put one item on each page, probably to maximise profit from advertising. Grrr!

50. KH81314 Wednesday 24th Apr 2013 at 17:15

I'm not to surprised about the Wii u selling poorly. I love it but the Wii always got underrated because it didn't have HD graphics so there no giving it a chance.

51. KaptainKrauser Wednesday 24th Apr 2013 at 18:29

The Wii U's comparatively poor sales are mostly because it hasn't even been out for a year yet.

52. Twinkle Wednesday 24th Apr 2013 at 19:11

3DS, GameCube, NES, Wii, N64, DS and Gameboy are the consoles that are just way too amazing. Nintendo always works hard to ensure that anyone and everyone would love its consoles. :wink:

53. alinktodapast Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 06:31

still got my virtual boy working with 5 games it is awesome

54. Olympion Wednesday 31st Jul 2013 at 16:37

So the Wii sold about as much as the SNES, N64 and GameCube put together. Now that's a turnaround for the books! The N64 is still my all time favorite console though.

It really is amazing just successful Nintendo was last generation. 250 million systems sold between the DS and the Wii, I don't think we will ever see any console generation produce a duo that successful again.

55. southendandy Wednesday 31st Jul 2013 at 17:50

I have still got my Virtual Boy, way ahead of its time. still love having a go now.

56. K-tet Wednesday 31st Jul 2013 at 17:51

QFT, and yet there are people who still want Nintendo to exit from the hardware business, and those that state Nintendo is still doomed.

Probably why everyone who thinks that is an idiot in my books. Nintendo have far too much money in bonds and assets. I think I read somewhere that they had just over USD $5billion, yes, billion.

To put the above into context, while some other companies are selling buildings and closing down studios to cut back and consolidate their position, Nintendo's looking not only to keep their work force, but also to expand. Those 250 million combined unit sales throughout the 7th gen just puts into perspective just how huge they are, and that's in spite of the Wii U's mediocre launch.

57. LeoWarioHobbs33 Wednesday 31st Jul 2013 at 20:20

The gamecube!! :D If there was ever a way I could describe my childhood in one word.. From Wario World to Bomberman Generations.. Mario Kart Double Dash to Melee.. Mario Power Tennis to all of the Mario Parties.. Too many great titles.
    Being a hardcore Nintendo gamer it was perfect console. Just a shame there wasn't enough of us out there.
    Can't wait for next year, gunna be Wii U's year, it's gunna take its stand!
    If I could name my favourite console of all time it'll have to be the GBA. Love that little guy. Wario Land 4, Pokemon Emerald, Metroid Fusion, Sonic Advance and the birth of Wario Ware. Legendary.

58. NintendanGX Thursday 1st Aug 2013 at 02:06

The Nintendo Gamecube had some fantastic games. That's why I still kept nearly all of the ones I own.

59. CraigEmberson Thursday 1st Aug 2013 at 09:10

The problem is that parents think it's a new Wii that's just more expensive and they don't realize why. Nintendo needs adverts telling people which consoles came out and what Generation they are - leading up to Wii U as an 8th Generation console and then showing clips of games. They need to invest in 30, 45 seconds and 1 minute ads across all channels.

60. jessiejames Thursday 1st Aug 2013 at 11:52

I grew up with the gamecube so it is my favourite console. I remember finally completing Corona Mountain in SMS.

61. charlie29j Friday 2nd Aug 2013 at 13:03

I hate Super Mario Sunshine! My favourite consoles are 3DS and N64.

62. kakah Saturday 3rd Aug 2013 at 13:44

Nintendo sold 250 million consoles (DS and Wii) and 1.7 billion pieces of software (1st and 3rd party but made money on each one sold) last generation. Now why has nintendo not invested all of the money back into first party developers etc! Very frustrating...with that kind cash, Nintendo should have had more than enough in-house development teams to overload the Wii U with games.

63. kakah Saturday 3rd Aug 2013 at 13:45

I agree.

64. K-tet Saturday 3rd Aug 2013 at 15:00

To be fair, Nintendo aren't laying off employees or closing down buildings and studios just to cut back, and with the money they have, they could well be looking to expand, plus they're also funding other developers for either collaborations (Smash Bros in collab with Namco Bandai, Mario & Sonic with Sega) or exclusive titles (funding Bayonetta 2 for Platinum). Now that Index Corp has been ordered by the Japanese courts to put Atlus up for sale, there could be every chance (though unlikely) Nintendo could put in a bid for that. Atlus on their own are profitable and very reputable, plus it'll keep the SMT x FE crossover very much alive.

Their reasoning was the Megaquake of 2011 however. The 3DS sales stalled, so Nintendo put in as much of their resources into pumping games out for the 3DS. That does have a ripple effect when you also have a home console (due to lack of proper resources to develop games for the system). The Japanese economy is still stagnating despite the government's decision to bring the Yen as close to parity with the US Dollar as possible (which has made Nintendo and other Japanese companies more profitable), add to that the world economy is in pretty bad shape across the key markets, and it's a tough time for everyone. With that ripple effect, it just takes time for everything to recover. The good news is, the 3DS takes care of itself, so Nintendo can pool their vast number of resources into Wii U game development.

Of course, none of that matters when you're not marketing the console properly (or in this case, hardly at all).

65. Dawid Lubkowski Wednesday 30th Oct 2013 at 11:25

WII U IS OVER 5 MILLION NOW!!!!!! :P

66. nintenu Wednesday 30th Oct 2013 at 13:28

I have owed all of these ...at some point!
    But now I only own 7.
    My VB has a one faulty eye, so it was sold as spares on eBay ...surprising I made a profit! :)

67. nintenu Wednesday 30th Oct 2013 at 13:35

It did, and it will be the very last.
    The majority of games released were developed very well ...compared to the shovel load we get today!
    I blame "MOST" Mobile Devs, Indie Devs, and money grabbing Devs ...errr EA!!!!! ...that think "hey I can port this rubbish game over to a Nintendo console and charge a shed load more!!!" :roll:

68. liveswired Wednesday 30th Oct 2013 at 15:08

The n64 and Gamecube were walking a fine line from the beginning due to their chosen media format.

In the n64 era the shiny CD's were the big new tech with loads of storage space - 700mb to be precise and the n64's carts were seen as memory restricted old old tat - many an n64 game arrived on 8mb - which to be honest in an astonishing achievement! GoldenEye arrived on 12mb and is quite frankly the game of it's generation.

The Gamecube's tiny 1.5gb Mini DVDs were beaten out by the 4.7GB DVD. If the Cube could playback DVDs as standard thing's would've been a lot different for Ninety's magical purple box!

Lack of storage space has been a massive hindrance to Nintendo's systems in the past. But thankfully the Wii U supports 25GB Blu rays - just license the bloody technology for movie playback Nintendo! That would be another feather in the Wii U's hat!

69. liveswired Wednesday 30th Oct 2013 at 15:12

It's difficult to know what way Nintendo PR need to approach the system. The price point is still very challenging for most - added the Wii U has been shadowed by the impending next gen launch PR since its release.

Nintendo just need to keep pumping out the games and getting as much 3rd party support for it's platform. There is something about a console having massive support and a healthy library of games that stimulates consumer interest.

70. gamebox2d Friday 1st Nov 2013 at 14:02

So glad to see the DS at number 1. The DS was totally different to anything before. Instead of releasing tons of add-ons for the machine it did everything straight out the box: touch controls, microphone, EVERYTHING.

71. tomutwit Friday 1st Nov 2013 at 19:28

DS Phat was my first console except my cousin's Saturn. :D

72. Mateusz Mucha Sunday 3rd Nov 2013 at 15:18

I own them all on this list. So many happy memories, ahhhhhh..... :D

Well you, good sir, are beyond rich.

73. Phirst Monday 4th Nov 2013 at 16:36

I still find it awesome that with a 3DS and a GBA you can play every Gameboy game ever made

74. Yell-Darb Saturday 11th Jan 2014 at 13:03

Its such a shame to look back at the N64 & Gamecube as relative fails compared to the Wii & DS. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Wii & my DS & would still hold them higher then any other brands best attempts. But the 64 is my most favorite console of all time, I'd stay up all night with my best mates, my Dad & his mates, anyone who wanted to play No Mercy, Mariokart 64 & of corse Goldeneye. The Cube had some amazingly good games too aswell as being able to play your favorite Gameboy Advance games on it with that adapter.
    I hope the Wii U dosn't follow there 'Sales point' failure as it also has some of the best versions of the latest games aswell as its own top exclusives.

75. Maxz Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 10:29

"None of Nintendo's home consoles have beaten the 100 million mark but the company's first handheld console with interchangeable cartridges smashed it."

But... the page before says the Wii sold 100.90 million! One of the statements is false!

76. Capt_Anders Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 10:54

Saw this on BBC business live I think it sums up Nintendo quite well. Duncan Chapple, technology analyst describes Nintendo's Wii U as "clunky and under-powered". But he thinks there is great loyalty towards Nintendo's games, like Super Mario, and the company will eventually get it right.

77. gamebox2d Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 11:14

I would love Nintendo to create a massively powerful, popular PS4 (or more likely) Playstation 5 beater. I would love to see 3rd parties like EA support it. But realistically Nintendo are on a downward spiral. I think it came as a shock when Sega and Atari crashed out of the hardware business, but it happened. Why is everyone so positive here???

I think the reason all Nintendo systems after N64 have been relatively underpowered is because Nintendo haven't the skill, or the money to beat Sony and Microsoft on that front.

Nintendo have bigger issues than the confusing title "Wii U". The idea their fortunes will magically turn around is madness. If they produced a revolutionary machine like Wii, maybe they could do it. But the odds are against them.

78. toffeeman30 Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 13:04

even satoru iwata and shigeru miyamoto have taken pay cuts following nintendos poor performance. would never have seen them do this in the nes, snes era

79. olrodlegacy Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 15:08

So you're saying everyone who's bought a Wii U has a library of less than four games?

80. D.J Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 15:19

This is incorrect, since during the console generation that followed, the XBox was the most powerful, followed by the Gamecube in second, with the PS2 lying third.

All three consoles were actually pretty similar in terms of graphical prowess too, so the Gamecube was definitely not underpowered by any means. Things only changed when Sony/Microsoft upgraded to HD gaming while Nintendo (for the Wii), simply repackaged the GC hardware and added a motion sensing controller.

While Ninty's then decision paid dividends thanks to the novelty value that Wii generated amongst casual gamers, the decision to launch their next gen hardware at a level which means it is still 1 generation behind has proved to be a mistake, and a mix of poor marketing/lack of AAA games has compounded that problem.

81. jtthegame Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 15:46

why is it the horrible nintendo consoles do better than some of the better nintendo consoles for example the nes was horrible to be honest how ever the snes was awesome yet the nes seems to have out done it. 5.86 million wii u's out there thats not as bad as people make out as that is a pretty big number. hopefully that will continue to grow. as the wii u is much better than the wii. i really am enjoying the wii u where as the wii kinda gathered dust for long periods of time between sessions i go back the the wii u fairly often

82. Argenthor Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 17:12

Gamecube is the most underrated console of all time in my opinion. I loved it!

Hmm. This was originally posted a while ago.

I don't think it is one of the most underrated consoles, it just underperformed. Critically, it was loved!

83. smikey666 Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 20:53

I'm not sure what you think or have read but if you look at sony's gaming division you'll clearly see they don't have more money than Nintendo hell even sony as an entire company tv, playstations, phones and all they still don't have more money than Nintendo.
    as for skill that claim is also bizarre to state nintendo couldn't make a machine more powerful than say a ps5 they could easily do so it mostly comes down to component choices.
    however then every @one would say why buy the nintendo its more expensive than the ps5 & all of a sudden it would be a price issue not a power issue.
    the ps xbox fan boys are hardly likely to buy a nintendo unless it had ridiculous exclusives like gta6 or something of equal drawing power.

I own every console on that list I own over 2500 nintendo console games ( home and handheld) I have 45 wii u disc games & every e-shop game.
    the wii u is my favourite console and the pad is my favourite controller infact i'm writing this on it now.
    the wii u wont out sell the wii of course not but then it was never going to ps4 / xbox1 won't sell 100 million either.

Nintendo have made mistakes with the wii u of course they have more games should have been ready for launch ect and it came out too early.

I have every faith in Nintendo to turn it around call me a collector call me a fan boy i'm both hell even call me an optimist but what ever you call me i'm a believer.
    I have no doubt Nintendo will still be making games for there own consoles or (whatever we might play games on then) long after i'm gone (i'm only 33 not expecting to die any time soon)

Now chandra is leaving /left I won't be buying the mag anymore bought every issue since early 90's and i'll still check out the site now and then but I feel it doesn't serve me so well anymore.

however good luck to ONM & Matthew and good luck to nintendo I for one am a supporter for life as I hope my kids are at present & hopefully always will be (or they aren't inherenting much)

Happy gaming everyone I hope you all try to keep the faith Nintendo will still be making your games long after sony & microsoft have got bored (or sony go bust far more realistic than it happening to Nintendo)

Sorry for the rant but it is my last post (at least for a fair while)

Lastly I do hope at least one of metroid / star fox / f-zero is announced in the feb nintendo direct none are really my games but i'd buy them to support nintendo & for the collection & it might just make a few of you smile a bit more

84. Capt_Anders Thursday 30th Jan 2014 at 01:36

You would hope the Wii U is better than the Wii U being the next generation and all... 5.86m is not a big number in terms of consoles sales. Also as a general point any person forwarding the economic argument that the poor economy is why the Wii U has failed should look at the sales of the Wii U comparative to its rival home consoles. Nintendo have a strong core fan base, however it cannot just rely on this for sales. The Wii U is undeniably underperforming that much is obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together, and something needs to be done to incentivise purchases. In my opinion most children would rather play Halo than Mario, and further more consoles (like mobile phones) appear to be relatively price elastic goods (price is not a massively important in purchase) and as a result Nintendo need to adapt to the modern world, a cheap and cheerful Mario console (while a massive generalisation is a common perception) is no not going to cut it . These are just my thoughts but one thing is for sure shareholders run Nintendo and if things continue to go badly we can expect big change.