What is the best Nintendo console of all time? Vote now!

Colette Barr picks her favourite

Earlier this week we discovered what Nintendo's best and worst consoles are. It was interesting to see the results and great to read everybody's comments - people are definitely divided when it comes to the question of what's the best Nintendo game of all time. I know I found it difficult thinking about which console I'd choose as my overall favourite.

I found it so tough as I adore my Wii and play my 3DS every day (it's hard to remember a time when I wasn't Streetpassing). However, my dearest Nintendo memories are with the older consoles, especially the SNES and N64 because these are the consoles that introduced me to the wonderful world of Nintendo and its iconic characters.

I discovered Super Mario World on the SNES pretty late. In fact I'm sure the N64 had already been released by this point, but I'd never really played videogames before. I certainly didn't follow any videogame news and I'd only watched others play on consoles.

The truth was that I was a little nervous. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to work the controls or even play correctly. This was until I saw Super Mario World and I remember trying it out for the first time by myself.

Immediately I was hooked. The colours were bright, the controls were simple and the story was fun and I was immediately hooked: a happy little kid, playing my Super Mario World over and over unaware that there was a more advanced Nintedo console that would blow my little kid mind away. Little did I also know that this was just the beginning and videogames were going to remain a big part of my life.

Nintendo Sixtyfoooooouuuuur

My friend had a Nintendo 64 and I was excited to try it out! I wasn't nervous about playing games anymore and I remember picking up the N64 controller and thinking 'how on earth was this going to be comfortable to hold?' But it was. It was extremely comfortable and I loaded up a game that my friend had been playing previously. It was incredible! Everything was 3D. My character was walking about in every direction plus there was so much to explore and other characters to interact with.

It was like the walls that had surrounded me whilst playing my SNES had suddenly disappeared and I was in this new world where there seemed to be no boundaries. I was entering Hyrule Field for the first time will always be a Nintendo memory that stands out in my life and if I had to pinpoint an exact moment when I became a true Nintendo fangirl, this was it! I'd never played anything like Ocarina of Time before.

I was a hero, I had a horse and I was galloping off on an epic adventure that would take me from the bottom of the deepest lakes to the highest mountains and all to save the Princess.

Shortly after that I also discovered my future firm-favourites, Super Mario 64 (pictured below), Banjo Kazooie, Lylat Wars, Goldeneye, Pokemon Snap and Stadium! My gaming heart had well and truly been stolen by this small machine.

Another favourite N64 childhood memory was having friends over and playing Mario Party 2! 50 turns? Of course! And what's really great, is that these first gaming chums also remain my close friends today and yes, we still enjoy N64 Mario Party nights!

So it's almost November and pretty soon I'll have my Wii U. But you know what? My Nintendo 64 will always remain plugged in and ready to go by the TV. For me, it will never go out of date. Sometimes the smartest, most advanced and up to date tech is not what makes something the best, sometimes it's the thing which has given you those special memories that last forever. I'm really interested to hear which console is your favourite but more importantly why? Vote now in the poll and comment below.

Tom assures me that the best comments will be used in a special feature on ONM!

Comments

1. MartinIsAwesome Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 08:46

I can't comment on the NES or SNES what with being a Sega Boy back in the day, but for having the biggest jump from one generation to the next, I'll have to say Nintendo 64.
    While the Gamecube only offered more power and better graphics, and the Wii only presented new controls, the N64 did both. For the first time you could fully utilise 3D polygons to create 3D characters that existed in fully 3D worlds with an unlimited degree of control for the first time thanks to the analogue stick.

2. Mr Roboto Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 09:03

Has to be N64 for me!

From my SNES to what the N64 could do at the time was mind blowing. My N64 came with Pilotwings 64 which was beautiful! But when i stepped out onto Hyrule field Ocarina of Time the sheer scale of it was amazing and that moment has always been the best moment in a video game for me to this day!

3. masamune Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 09:19

In objective terms Nintendo's greatest machine would have to be the DS: cheap, an enormous userbase, literally hundreds of easily accessible and worthwhile games, comfortable to hold and very easy to use. Arguably, it was the console that allowed video games to be elevated to a 'more respectable' medium. It didn't try to pander to any specific audience, it didn't try to revolutionary. It tried to be a good, solid console, at it succeeded enormously.

Although personally, I'd label my own favourite as the GBA, purely due to the memories I associate with it.

4. shy guy 64 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 09:33

i cant chose, it wouldnt be one of the ones i havnt owned though

5. Herbert_Rarr Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 09:37

My most memorable gaming moments were on SEGA Mega Drive, playing Sonic 1 and 2 over and over, not being able to get past the Wing Fortress boss. I've been a Sonic fan ever since I was five.
    We didn't have much money, so I was doing this until 2003(ish), after which I got a Gameboy Advance SP as a gift, and started playing Sonic on that!
    Then I was bought a Gamecube. I used to spend hours playing Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Simpson's Hit and Run.
    I got a Wii when I was twelve and now I have a 3DS, but my happiest moments of gaming have to be on the Mega Drive (sorry Nintendo), the Gamecube coming a close second.

6. LavaTwilight Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 09:50

To me it must be the Gamecube! I've owned previous Nintendo consoles, but back then they were just a 'games console' and I couldn't understand why I could play some games on my SNES but not on the MegaDrive and vice versa. I knew why I just didn't care much for the answer. 'Can't we all just get along?' I thought. So I was undecided, but then I played the Gamecube and fell instantly in love with my Pikmin. I also began realising I was a smart move on F-Zero, Mario Sunshine was my first 3D Mario game (having never owned an N64) and Smash Bros Brawl became the first fighting game I truly adored! Since then I couldn't own any other console without preferring my Nintendo! Who needs High Definition when Nintendo has Fun Definition?

7. JamieRIOT Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:23

Mine for pure nostalgia reasons is the N64, but the SNES and Gamecube are tied in 2nd for me.

8. JamieRIOT Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:26

>THIS<

9. Dan-the-Wii-man Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:32

Despite my first Nintedo memory being Donkey Kong Country on SNES my favourite console has been the Wii. Yes its had some rough patches notably in the last year or so but my greatest gaming memories came from playing the Wii. Going down to my local game at 6 in the morning to pick it up; discovering the fun of motion control for the first time; crying when Midna left at the end of Twilight Princess; discovering Metroid for the first time with Metroid Prime Trilogy; finding out that when you defeat Orochi in Okami it is in fact only a 3rd of the game; the chainsaw guy in resi 4; just playing Galaxy 2; also crying at the end of Skyward Sword... the list goes on!! I LOVE YOU WII NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS <3

10. ThePokekid78 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:36

Even though I never owned one, it's gotta be Gamcube. The console had it all: my two favourite Metroids (Prime 1 & 2), my favourite Zelda (Twilight Princess), my favourite Mario Kart (Double Dash), and let's not forget two proper 3D pokemon adventures, Resi 4, Smash Bros or Pikmin! But, best of all, playing Ruby & Sapphire (the best Pokemon games!) on the big screen! Too much win!

11. Mastearl Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:39

For me it has to be the GBA, first handheld/nintendo thing and all that

12. higgins78 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:41

Well, I fell I'm in a good position to judge since I have owned every major Nintendo console - and almost all the AAA games - since the NES. My list would look a little something like this...

1. Super Nintendo
    2. N64
    3. Gamecube
    4. Nintendo Entertainment System
    5. Wii

13. JoeOdranDoran Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:50

Definitely the SNES. It was my first home console, and had the likes of Starwing, Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart, A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana... To this day, when I see a SNES being sold at a car boot sale or whatever, I'm still tempted to buy the beautiful little thing, even though I already have two.

14. Slinkington Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:54

So many people are saying N64. I couldn't disagree more. That system had a pretty strange controller IMO, it was alright but not amazing. And the games. Unfortunately, there were only one or two of them that I actually liked. Both Zeldas, Mario 64/Kart/Party 1/Paper and then Mischief Makers. That's it for me.

I'd say the best system is the GameBoy Advance. It has all my favourite games from the SNES, only portable and with added touches, it's a small, sleek and a comfortable system to use. The library of games I like which are exclusive to the system is pretty extensive, and it even plays all GameBoy and GameBoy Color games, too. And there are a load of great games for those systems, too.

15. Riverlution Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 11:57

My list, in order of preference:

1. N64
    2. SNES
    3. Gameboy Advance
    4. DS
    5. Gamecube
    6. 3DS
    7. Gameboy
    8. NES
    9. Wii

This is based on the amount of fun I've had with each system (And how many hours of my life I wasted on each!) and how many good games I can recall. Nostalgia probably affects this too.

16. Zelda101 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 12:04

i love the N64. i have so many happy memories with the console. from me and my friend being in awe of grown up Link and Zelda to exploring the fun, action-packed adventure of Banjo Kazooie.

17. 3DSRulesO.K Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 12:14

Despite my username, I voted for the NES. Why? Because it saved the entire industry from complete destruction and gave us Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mother, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Castlevania, Mega Man, Battletoads, Bomberman, Double Dragon, Dr.Mario, Tetris, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Duck Hunt, Ghosts'N'Goblins, Punch Out!! and even R.O.B! :mrgreen:

18. stealth1497 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 12:27

I've had many great gaming experiences with my previous consoles, I love my GBA and my brand new 3DS - but for me, it was always going to be the N64. I relived Zelda Ocarina of Time on 3DS about a year ago now...which made me play it all through again on the N64. Zelda, Super Mario 64, Star Fox, Mario Kart - the list is endless.

19. reeesy Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 12:42

It's a close call between the SNES and the N64. While in my opinion, the SNES had the best software library of all of Nintendo's past consoles, I think I have to vote for the N64. With the likes of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, Nintendo's leap to 3D gaming felt so effortless and masterful. It was the most exciting era of gaming I can remember.

20. fisher2007 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 13:33

i cant chose, it wouldnt be one of the ones i havnt owned though

21. WolfyWardark Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 14:23

Nintendo 64 for me too, but I love all of their consoles/handhelds! :)

22. geengy Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 14:49

DS. Despite the overload of casual games, it still had plenty of hardcore games (And admittedly, pretty much only one 18+ game-GTA). Plus, touch screen gameplay never felt more natural, leading to handy maps, fun drawing and tough Mensa games.

23. jonnyjazz Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 15:08

For me I'd say the Game Boy is the best in terms of nostalgia, playing and trading Pokemon in the playground was the absolute bomb. N64 was a close second for all the multiplayer classics like Mario Party 2, Battletanks, Bomberman 64, Mario Kart, Lylat Wars, Smash Bros, Goldeneye and Turok Rage Wars (and Snowboard Kids which seemed incredible when I was 7)

24. theycallmejack Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 15:13

From a relatively objective standpoint, I think you'd be hard pressed to say that the Wii isn't Nintendo's best console of all time. I'm it's sold millions of units and millions more games, it introduced gaming to a much much wider audience and let's face it; it's had some flipping brilliant games! Skyward Sword, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, upgraded Twilight Princess, Little King Story, all the New Play Control ones, the casual titles such as Wii Party and Endless Ocean (which is a personal favourite of mine), the awesome indie titles such as World of Goo and the Bit Trip series! Oh the Wii is awesome! Nintendo proved with the Wii that gaming can be as creative and artistic a field as any and the best console isn't always the one with the best graphics!

25. mooksam22 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 15:29

This is a surprisingly tough one. I believe the Wii marked Nintendo at its absolute creative zenith with games such as Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and Skyward Sword, but the console had a number of well documented issues I'm not going to go into here. For me, it's a close battle between the N64 and Gamecube. The N64 was my first Nintendo console and was the one that truly got me hooked on gaming. My teens were practically defined by it and it certainly provided me with a lot of memorable gaming experiences. There were Nintendo's own landmark titles, including Super Mario 64, OoT and Majora's Mask, and Rare's impressive output with games such as Banjo-Kazooie. Then there were hidden gems like Space Station Silicon Valley, and Japanese oddities Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman. Not to mention the multiplayer games I played with my siblings such as Bust-a-Move 2 and Mario Kart 64. All in all it was a console that gave me great games and great memories.

I can remember the first time I played an N64 game - Diddy Kong Racing - at a demo kiosk in Toys-r-us in late '97. I knew I was getting an N64 for Christmas that year and eagerly looked at the games on offer. I was amazed at the jump from the Mega Drive to what was being displayed in front of me. When I got my N64 a month or so later, I was amazed all over again by Super Mario 64, and again when I played Ocarina of Time a year later! I believe that generation (and I'm including the N64's competitors) marked the biggest leap in technology console gamers have ever seen, because not only did it mark a massive graphical leap, but a gameplay shift, too, as designers adjusted to polygonal game worlds. It felt new and daring. Of course the N64 had its problems, not least a controller I now find unwieldy and uncomfortable to use - but at the time I didn't care.

While the N64 will always be widely remembered for its landmark games, its successor is, in my view, one of the most criminally underrated consoles. I can't understand why, because, to put it bluntly, the Gamecube was just so frickin' awesome. It was small, robust and good looking, was powerful, had a brilliantly ergonomic controller that moulded perfectly to my hands, and possessed an outstanding, but small games library. Games like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Games like Paper Mario 2, Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia. Then there's Resident Evil 4... I suppose it's library pretty much sums the console up in general - small, but packing one hell of a punch. However, towards the end of its life (and Twilight Princess aside), I sadly found myself starting to run out of new things to play, and, eagre for new game experiences, I purchased a PS2. The Gamecube's last days were bittersweet for me, but when it was in its prime, it certainly rocked.

When it comes down to it though, I have to go with my gut, and it's screaming N64.

I have to count the handhelds separately, but this one is much easier - the DS, hands down, for its incredible library and genuine innovation.

26. gillgrnt987 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 15:52

The Wii earned my vote. A revolution to gaming by bringing out motion control. Eat your heart out Sony and Microsoft!! You can never beat the king of videogames which is Nintendo with your Kinect/PSMove nonsense!! :D

27. 9 Times Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 18:58

Definitely the Nintendo GameCube for me, simply because it had everything: Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Pikmin, you name it.

28. hammster Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 20:05

SNES and DS are the only answers.

29. shinypalkia16 Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 20:27

Not a particularly hard choice for me, because I've never played anything pre- GBA. In fact, the first nintendo home console I owned was a wii. It really does sadden me to hear how much I've missed out on from the days of the N64 and NES and SNES. I'd love to try and pick up these consoles some day to see what all the hype is about.

For me, the crowning jewel has to be the Game Boy Advanced for several reasons.

1. It was the first console I ever owned, which automatically gives it +1000 nostalgia points.
    2. It has some of my favourite games of all time on it! Ruby, Emerald, Leaf Green, Fusion and even mario pinball.
    3. IT'S FREAKING PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!
    4.I didn't lose out by purchasing a DS, because I could still play all my GBA games, whilst receiving the added bonus of the DS titles. I was quite annoyed at the decision not to include a Game Boy Advance slot on the DSi in favour of a memory card slot, but times change.

Finally, even though I was around for the times of N64, I couldn't really get access to one, as I was mainly devoted to PC gaming in my primary school years. (Lego Island For The WIN!!!!!!!)

In my oppinion, not has ever, or will ever come close to the thrill of switching on my GBA for the first time, after getting it bought for me out of a GAME outlet within a Debenhams (!!!)

'Click!'

30. NSMB23DS Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 20:57

For me it has to be the GBA, first handheld/nintendo thing and all that

... Are you saying the GBA is the first handheld?! :shock: :lol: :D :) :? :shock:
    The first handheld by Nintendo was the Game & Watch collection of 'consoles'

But my favorite was Gamecube. My dad had an NES and my aunt had a Genisis. Boy was that fun :roll:
    BUT years later my uncle had a Gamecube. That thing changed my life. And it only needed Mario Kart:DD!!. But Sunshine helped. And Twilight Princess was my Zelda 'starter'. I also voted Gamecube for best controller and best console look.

31. ninjafox Saturday 27th Oct 2012 at 22:38

That is a really tough choice as each Nintendo console offers fantastic games that stay in your memory long after the next console generation has begun.
    In the end i had to go for the N64 as it was the first Nintendo console i owned and had such great experiences exploring the worlds that were in front of me, i know i am not alone in saying that when Mario first jumped out the pipe outside Peach's castle i spent my first hour running round climbing up trees and diving into the moat!

For providing such great games that i still go back and play to this day and successfully taking characters like Link and Mario and putting them into 3D worlds that worked it has to be the N64!

32. redeye Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 07:26

I have to say 3DS as it has given me all my fav games, Minish Cap, Ocarina of Time, the new Kid Icarus, Pokemon and Animal Crossing. We as a family started with the Mega Drive, then Playstations, Xbox's, GameCube and Wii, but the handhelds have always been and will always be the best. 3DS forever :twisted:

33. Magmortar963 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 10:00

How can N64 win over 3DS. The best 5 games by far on N64 were Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Lylat Wings, Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64. We've got Ocarina and Lylat Wings on 3DS, there has been talk of a Majora's Mask remake, you can play Super Mario 64 DS on your 3DS and Mario Kart 7 has all the best N64 tracks plus new ones. N64's got Mario Tennis, 3DS has got Mario Tennis Open. N64 has got Paper Mario, 3DS has got Paper Mario Sticker Star. N64's got Super Smash Bros, 3DS is getting a NEW Super Smash Bros. GCN has got Luigi's Mansion, 3DS has got Luigi's mansion Dark Moon. Pokemon Stadium VS Pokemon Rumble Blast, no comparison. However, they've both got Rayman 2, which shows how much that game is being milked!

34. LiNK2 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 19:21

When I was 7 years old I remember saying to my dad that I wanted a tv in my room. A couple of weeks later after school their was a tv plugged into my room I thanked my dad and hugged him alot. Then I noticed a SNES plugged in as well.I could not believe it and I screamed with excitement. There was three games. Super Mario all stars + Super Mario World, Starwing and Fifa international soccer. I spent most of my time playing Super Mario all stars + super Mario world.My favourite Mario game on it(and my overall favourite mario game) was super mario bros 3.it is amazing.SNES is the best console ever and it always brings back childhood memories. I reccomend anyone to get a SNES on ebay

35. goldtanooki Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 20:27

3DS! :P :P :P

36. harrogatewario Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 22:04

N64 for me.

Having had a NES, SNES and Game Boy the N64 was the first console I bought for myself with my part-time job wages when I was15.

The console was the biggest leap forward both in terms of graphics and the freedoms which you could explore games and many of the games have stood the test of time. Mario 64, Lylat Ways, Pilotwings 64 and of course Ocarina of Time are still all extremely playable without been dated. A gem only hindered by Nintendos refusal to allow 'adult' games on its machine without toned down content.

37. thenintendoer Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 11:14

i remember they did a poll like this a few years ago and find it funny how about half voted for the wii and now its down to just 12% im guessing the novelty wore off after a while but getting back on track the snes is the choice for me continaing some of the best games of nintendos franchises and being seemingly unstoppable n terms of its great games

38. BanksLad Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 14:34

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the Gameboy Color, which pains me. I will never forget Christmas '98, unwrapping my first ever handheld console and copy of Pokemon red (as well as NBA jam). It's the system that turned me into a super fan and I now have every single Nintendo system, including the ill fated Virtual Boy and hilariously pointless Pokemon Mini. I loved that little lime green machine.

39. Sex Bob-omb Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 15:01

For me it has to be the SNES I've got so many fond memories with that machine,But the Gamecube comes a close second

40. Crisps Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 17:24

Gamecube, no question. The sheer majesty and emotion projected through that humble little machine shall stay with me forever, and I definitely wouldn't have the taste in gaming, or taste in general that I have today without the little Cube.

41. Hammy206 Tuesday 30th Oct 2012 at 16:07

Nintendo DS - the console that started Nintendo's quest to unite everyone through the medium of gaming. Loads of amazing games, most notably Pokémon and Mario Kart, also helped make the DS, arguably, Nintendo's finest hardware creation.

42. SM3DL2 Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 22:33

For me, it has to be the DS Lite.

I will probably change my mind if I play a game on Virtual Console, but this is the first console I ever played and *sniff*, I will always remember it.

The games were pretty good too.

43. geengy Saturday 10th Nov 2012 at 19:48

For me, it has to be the DS Lite.

The games were pretty good too.

I remember crying at mystery dungeon and then dad came in, asking me what was wrong. What was I supposed to say?