Pokemon Black and White 2: A fan's-eye view

Marti Bennett enjoys the expanded Unova dex and collecting medals

I have been playing Pokemon games since I was just nine years old. Now at the age of 22, I still adore the series. It's probably my favourite thing in the world. I look forward to every Pokemon game, including the spin offs, and Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were certainly no exception.

Words can not describe the frustration at seeing all your friends on social media sites posting pictures of their Pokemon games arriving a day early after ordering online. The Royal Mail decided to mess around and delivered to my house much later then usual but after waiting more the seven months for them to be released, Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were finally mine. I decided to open Pokémon Black 2 to play though first as I finished Pokemon Black.

As I started the game I reminisced about how far we have come from travelling in the back of a lorry to Pallet Town. For the opening sequence in Pokemon Black 2, the camera glides over Aspertia City as if it were a movie. Anyway it's all boring talk at this stage and I know I should have read the text but I wanted to get on with the game.

So much so in fact, I forgot to save before getting my Tepig. Being a competitive Pokemon player I take Pokemon natures very seriously, and the Tepig I chose had a terrible nature. Natures in Pokemon can determine if a Pokemon is stronger or weaker in certain stats. So after ailing to save my game, I had to start all over again.

As the game went on I caught a handful of Pokemon. I really wanted to catch an Azuril as Marill, its evolved form, is my favourite Pokemon. It's not the best water type but that doesn't bother me. I also caught a Mareep as I wanted an electric-type Pokemon. I am really pleased that the Unova dex has been expanded in Black 2 and White 2 as a lot of my favourite Pokemon are in the new Unova dex which enables me to catch and train them from early in the game.

My problem is that I am too lazy to train my Pokemon for gym battles. Each gym I encountered, all of my Pokemon were a good five to ten levels lower than the opponent. I managed to scrape my way through often with elemental advantage. For example, using my level 31 Ampharos to defeat Skyla's level 39 Swanna. All my other Pokemon were around level 26. Oops.

Eventually I had to put my DSi on charge so I decided to give Dream Radar on 3DS a go. I didn't really understand what to do at first. I was shooting beams at clouds to collect orbs and managed to get a few items but none of them that were useful. You have to wait a while for the clouds to reappear again. As I played the game more and collected more orbs, I could upgrade things such as the amount of clouds available at one time. The more I play, the better the rewards. At the time of writing, I'd managed to catch Tornadus, 4 Driftloon, and a Shuckle. I'm looking forward to putting my older Pokemon DS games in the 3DS to unlock other cool legendary Pokémon to catch.

Lastly, I decided to link up my game to my Pokemon Global Link (PGL) account to activate the in-game flashbacks and to use Dream World. Despite earning a lot of points and berries on my other Dream World, it does not carry over and you have to start again. Starting off in Dream World can be a painful process and it will take some time to earn points. You can earn Dream World points in various ways such as playing games and adding dream pals. There are a couple of new games available to play in Dream World. My favourite is the drink game where a Pokemon is after a drink and you have to collect the right coloured drink while trying not to spill it as you deliver it. Dream World can get a little tedious, but I advise everyone to keep at it as the Pokemon and items you can collect do get better over time. Out of all the new features available I'm really enjoying the medal system. Hopefully I'll be able to collect them all. I'm in no rush to finish, taking my time so that I don't miss anything important. Then I'll be training again for next years Pokémon Video Game Championships.

How are you getting on in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2? Which Pokemon are in your team?

Comments

1. myosan8bit Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 09:26

Hi Marti, playing Black 2 on my Zelda 3DS won from the good people at ONM...again, much thanks...yes the game is wonderful. I just wish I had more hours in the day to play it! Medals great and the thought of catching some older Pokemon is great.

2. K-tet Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 10:26

I'm glad you're enjoying the game(s) Marti. They really are jam-packed with plenty of content. Aside from the fact that I'm transferring Pokémon from White to White 2 (thank god for being allowed to trade boxed Pokémon too), I shall respond in an informal way, almost as if I was keeping a diary entry.

"Ah Unova. You may have changed, but you still remain familiar to me. The PWT has been a revelation, but I don't know whether I've become much stronger than the Champions or if they've gotten softer. Going against Red again was totally worth it, even if it was one-sided in my favour. He still doesn't say much... such integrity. I've also been 'the one and only', sweeping the league clean with just one Pokémon. I was hoping for a stronger challenge but oh well. I can't blame Caitlin and Iris for doing their best, but the other three... I did get a medal from Mr Medal Guy too, which was great. Aside from that, more films, PokéStar Studio directors keep asking for me to film their scripts. I love working with Sabrina, although I rarely get to film with her. I've also been in contact with Prof. Burnet, asking me to use her Dream Radar to scan the Ethers and find Pokémon hidden within Dream Clouds. All in all it's been fun.

I guess I should sign this entry off now. I can't keep a lady waiting. I'll have to ask my Unfezant to fly me to Undella Town. Tea and Ice Cream shall be fun, but knowing Cynthia, it's going to be a long time before she decides what Ice Cream she wants. Good thing PokéStar Studios pays well, she may want all the flavours!"

3. ThePokekid78 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 10:32

WHAT YOUR DREAM WORLD GETS RESET?!? I NEVER KNEW THIS!!!

Ah well, I only use Dream World for getting Pokemon with their DW abilities anyway, everything else just seems so cheap and pointless...

But I love your blogs, Marti, keep them coming!

4. Smoshemon Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 10:51

Your going to the next championships marti? Me too! Wanna practice making teams and testing the together?

5. WiiDSguy Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 11:19

Fairly sure it's Littleroot town in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald you arrive in a lorry. Not Pallet Town, that begins in your room.

6. TheNUKEnukeM Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 12:38

When I started I started just like you said catching loads of pokemon however when they fell loads of levels behind I dropped half of them from my team. And focused on getting 3 or 4 very strong pokemon than 6 really weak pokemon. I wish I had more time to play it.

7. olrodlegacy Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 12:41

Not sure whether to get this now or wait til Christmas. When does the Genesect distribution end?

8. mooksam22 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 15:01

Pokemon is such an absolute time-sink for me - I've already managed to rack up almost 60 hours on this despite only having four gym badges.

I'm a big fan of bug Pokemon and their awesome power against Psychic and Dark types, so naturally Genesect is in my party. Its bug/steel combination strips away many of the weaknesses those types have individually (except Fire) so it's been very handy so far. Ampharos is one of my favourite Electric Pokemon (I spent a lot of time building a very high SpAttack for mine in Soul Silver), so, having caught mareep, it will no doubt find a place in my party later on.

I've been quite keen to have a different party this time round compared to the first White, but I have found myself falling back on a few favourites from that game, such as Sandile and its evolutions. One thing I do appreciate about the game is the careful addition of Pokemon from generations 1-4, adding a bit more variety. Riolu in particular was very helpful early on.

Just as good as the first Black/White, and I like all the new additions, too.

9. Bexie Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 15:16

"As I started the game I reminisced about how far we have come from travelling in the back of a lorry to Pallet Town"

Er... what? Never happened. That's R/S/E.

10. me4ndubz Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 16:42

mid november

11. shy guy 64 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 16:48

it is indeed an awesome game

12. Kirby8 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 18:47

Brought both Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 from GAME and they came on launch with their free case. I then proceeded to play Black 2 non-stop and complete the main game. Loved it! I played some of the side game too. I have only managed to play a bit of Pokémon White 2 as my workload at Uni started to increase after my completion of Pokémon Black 2 main story. And now I have Professor Layton 5 to play as well, plus that workload is still there. Like you, have been playing the games since the first games and still adore the series. I always look forward to the next Pokémon games. I just love the fact that even though this was supposed to be the second bunch of games in the current Gen, it didn't feel like it in the slightest. So much changed in Unova over those 2 years. And Game Freak have changed a lot from Black and White. And I too love the addition of older Pokémon. The only thing I found weird is that some pokémon are unavailable in the games due to the changes in Unova, although normally their evolved forms are available. Like Vanillite isn't available, but Vanillish is because the Cold Storage has been destroyed and the PWT has been built in it's place. And it's changes like this that make the games different. There is still construction in the desert...does this mean Black and White 3 or another set of games in Unova. I doubt it, but you never know.

13. blaziken411 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 19:54

i enjoyed black 2 a lot, but I finished it a bit late because I got sidetracked by all the fun mini-games! I was surprised that you couldn't get kyurem until after the credits but muk surpassed expectations as a replacement, there's nothing an acid armour, minimize and gunk shot combination can`t handle. my team also includes electivire, samurrot, arcanine, lucario and altaria

14. fisher2007 Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 20:32

it is indeed an awesome game

15. PokeMarti Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 21:03

Argh yes I know the truck was littleroot

Great example of how easy it is to miss things after several proof reads. I think I accidentally cut out and merged that sentence when moving things around and forgot to correct it. Something along the lines of starting in your room playing SNES in pallet town, to riding in a back of a truck to your new home of littleroot.

Forgive me oh wise ONM readers! :(

16. K-tet Sunday 28th Oct 2012 at 22:13

Argh yes I know the truck was littleroot

Forgive me oh wise ONM readers! :(

For me to forgive you, you must beat me in a Pokémon Battle. You game?

17. shy guy 64 Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 10:30

Argh yes I know the truck was littleroot

Forgive me oh wise ONM readers! :(

wise?! are we on the same forum

18. metalgario Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 14:12

I'm just getting stuck trying to capture a good Terrakion as he is brutal to capture even when on low health.

I chose Tepig again, Genesect, Dwebble, Maractus and transferred over Keldeo. In game Zorua and Volcarona helped a bit but I'm looking forward to playing the Dream Radar properly and finding out what happened to N and the original protagonist.

I miss the amount of rival battles though, it felt like Cheren and Bianca were always on my toes in White, but in Black 2 it's a more lonely adventure, I can't warm up to Hugh or this Coreless.

19. CraigEmberson Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 19:14

Marti... I'm confused. Putting the older DS games in the 3DS, doesn't change what you catch in Dream Radar, so I'm confused. You seem to be confused about how the features work with the new games.

20. NintyFan90 Tuesday 30th Oct 2012 at 09:57

What Marti was saying is correct. If you put Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold or Soul Silver in your 3DS, you can then have the opportunity to catch those game's mascots (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Ho-oh and Lugia) in Dream Radar. But this feature is only available after getting enough points to catch Landorus. Hope that clears up any confusion :)

21. megacharazard Sunday 6th Oct 2013 at 16:49

:mrgreen: Plz can someone swap me my zoroa for a tepig