Retro Studios is qualified to make a Zelda game - Miyamoto

Would you like Retro to make a Legend Of Zelda game?

Shigeru Miyamoto believes that Retro Studios would be qualified to make a Zelda game in the future but logistics may prevent the Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Prime developers from doing so.

Speaking after receiving the Príncipe de Asturias award in Communication and Humanities in Spain last week, Miyamoto commented on the possibility of Retro working on a Zelda game.

Miyamoto is reported to have said that Zelda has grown so big that the company is working closely with the likes of Monolith and Grezzo. "The possibility of Retro Studios making a new Zelda with a good proposal isn't a farfetched idea at all and could be possible," he said

However, before you start getting too excited, Miyamoto said that logistically it would make it tricky for Retro to create the next Zelda game for Wii U, commenting that Nintendo handle the script and design for Zelda games and it would be tough for the company to work with Retro on the game as they are based in Austin, Texas.

Miyamoto added: "Even if Retro Studios is qualified, Nintendo would have to be in very close contact with the company that were to create this Zelda and, being outside Japan, the distance and the timezone differences would make the communication more difficult."

If Retro were ever given the opportunity to work on a Zelda game, it wouldn't be the first time that another developer has created a game in Nintendo's adventure series. Capcom made Legend Of Zelda: Minish Cap and the Oracles games for Game Boy Color.

As for what the Texas-based company is up to at the moment, Reggie Fils-Aime has said that Retro is working on a fantastic game for Wii U.

Would you like Retro to work on a Zelda game?

Comments

1. 9 Times Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 09:24

Dear Retro:

Please make a Star Fox game. PLEASE?

2. OXM Joe Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 09:35

Dear Retro:

Please make a Star Fox game. PLEASE?

Personally, I'm hoping they let Platinum grab that franchise!

3. 9 Times Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 09:41

Dear Retro:

Please make a Star Fox game. PLEASE?

Personally, I'm hoping they let Platinum grab that franchise!

Platinum you say... hmmmm I'm not aware of this Platinum ... Any examples of games they've developed? (also, every time I try to Google it get results for the metal...uuugh)

4. King Slazo Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 10:00

They made Bayonetta and Madworld, amongst other things.

I'd love to see a Retro made Zelda though, would be very interesting to see what those guys came up with for the franchise.

5. LavaTwilight Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 10:10

At the end of the day, if Zelda is released with Nintendo's quality that they have produced from their other games, then that's fine with me. I'm just psyched for a new F-Zero so I hope it's that! Even if it's not, I hope it's released from another place with Nintendo's Seal.

6. shy guy 64 Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 10:28

it certainly would be intressting

7. super yoshifan Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 10:56

Am I the only one that wants them to make a new IP?

8. K-tet Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 10:57

Would I like to see Retro make a Zelda game? No. Retro are a really good company but nowhere near that ilk just yet. Would I want to see Retro make a Star Fox game? Absolutely. New IP? Of course. Reboot an older IP from the many Nintendo have? You betcha!

Until Retro are (in my eyes at least) on par with the Rare I grew up with, only then will I believe they're ready for Nintendo's third-best selling franchise, and arguably, their most pivotal for us gamers.

9. super yoshifan Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 11:13

Well, first and foremost, they revived the Metroid series with universal critical acclaim, practically with no experience. And that was after a turbulent development and having their founder/president replaced. The Rare that pretty much dominated the N64 and SNES - I don't think never really had the full confidence of Nintendo, anyway. I've always found it strange how such a consistent company never get a nod to one of Nintendo's "bigger" franchises. I'm assuming it either involves finances or the Stamper brothers didn't want to develop for those games.

Anyway the whole situation is ultimately surronded by just a name. Retro can still deliver the quality they have done with their other games - Metroid Prime series, DKCR and MK7 - a name doesn't change that. And seeing as Nintendo let them help them with designing MK7, Nintendo certainly have confidence in the company. I don't see - if they were to work on the Zelda series - how both those factos would change.

10. thenintendoer Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 11:15

as soon as they finisih whatever project they are working on (please be star fox or f zero) then im up for retro producing a zelda game

11. Bleachyleachy Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 11:25

I'd say they are just as qualified to take on Zelda as any other developer. Look what happened when Nintendo handed the reigns to Capcom, they produced a couple of excellent Zelda titles. There's no understating Retro's accomplishment with Metroid Prime either, the only other entry that can stand up to the quality of Prime in the Metroid series is Super Metroid.

Besides, I'm sure there are many out there that would agree that Zelda could perhaps benefit from being handled by another developer. Every one of the last Zelda titles to be developed by Nintendo (Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks) may have received critical acclaim but they also received criticism from a notable amount of players. Perhaps letting another developer assume responsibility could breathe some fresh ideas into the formula.

12. TIMMSY7 Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 12:43

Codemasters for Starfox lol

13. Fergster Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 13:05

A Retro Zelda game would no doubt be awesome, but seriously, just let Capcom back into the game to release another handheld entry to the series. Minish remains one of my favourite Zelda games of all time and I'd love to see what they could do on the 3DS.

14. K-tet Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 13:29

The Rare of old was the think tank that had its own ambitions with its own IP. Nintendo were happy to fund their ambitions because they understood what Rare were all about. If you go back to Rare's earlier games as Ultimate Play The Game, they had the experience of creating something unique and fun on very limited technology by today's standards. Once they received a NES dev kit they ran with it. I believe it was Rare that applied for the licensing rights to Donkey Kong and once DKC came out, that put Rare on the map as a serious developer, and made Donkey Kong a popular Nintendo main-stayer. Fast forward to the N64 and Rare were nailed on as the best second-party developer of them all, but what made Rare that great was they concentrated on their own IP. Some didn't see the light, but some did in other forms (Conker's Bad Fur Day and Starfox Adventures being two, the latter based on Dinosaur Planet).

All Retro did for MK7 was port over the Retro tracks (no pun intended). The rest of the game was built by Nintendo. Retro played no part in the actual ground development of the game (not to be confused with content, which I've just stated). I know Nintendo have faith in spades for Retro, and I won't disagree on the Metroid Prime series (I enjoyed them), but while they did good with DKCR, it didn't feel like the true Donkey Kong game to me. Yes, I'll plead guilty to reminiscing but something Rare did perfectly with the Donkey Kong games was made it their own and gave the world what would've been an obscure and faded Nintendo IP a lease of life that is synonymous with Rare and the great British gaming industry we once had (and arguably, it was the best in the world).

Remember guys, this is just how I feel. I don't expect people to agree with me, and in the grander scheme of things my opinion's not worth anything. I love to be proven wrong, but in my own opinion, I don't think Retro are ready just yet to take on a Zelda game. No doubt once they are, I'm sure it'll be amazing, and perhaps the 'Western-element' (or change of coding environment) may spark something new and revolutionary that could benefit the series. Zelda is like the holy grail of Nintendo gaming (especially if you're not a big Mario fan), and every Zelda game so far has been amazing (some despite their technical flaws), even the GBC ones that Capcom co-developed.

15. CyberGW Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 13:54

Dear Retro:

Please make a Star Fox game. PLEASE?

Personally, I'm hoping they let Platinum grab that franchise!

I googled Platinum Games and I got this: http://platinumgames.com/games/
    They're the guys who're making Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101. Can't say their past games look that brilliant to me, but the projects they're currently undertaking look very good.

16. fluggy2003 Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 16:54

Why can't Nintendo just make it themselves. I wouldn't trust anyone else with Zelda. Found the Prime games to
    be rather dull and monotonous ...not.a.patch on.Super Metroid!

17. Dwarph Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 17:02

while retro are an awesome studio, id rather they work WITH ninty to create a zelda game, they can bring awesome ideas to it, but i still feel that you shouldnt hand the reigns of zelda to another company D:

18. Mmmyeah Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 19:17

I googled Platinum Games and I got this: http://platinumgames.com/games/

You may not think that their previous games look that good, but Platinum formed from the remainder of Clover Studios after that closed down, and Clover developed some excellent games, my favourite being Okami, a very Zelda-like game. So maybe platinum would be a good choice actually.

As for retro, they have a history of bringing Nintendo series back into the limelight after they have been missing for a bit, that being Metroid on Gamecube (which skipped the N64) and Donkey Kong Country on Wii (not seen since SNES). But Zelda doesn't need to be 'brought back' because its still one of Nintendo's biggest series'. That doesn't really matter though because both Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns are brilliant, so a Retro Zelda could be great. I would just want them to try something different. Capcom's Zeldas were a bit like Zelda at its most basic gameplay-wise.

19. Mr Roboto Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 19:40

I would love to see Retro Studios make a Gears of War like game.

Plus Platinum Games to make a Star Fox game.

20. super yoshifan Monday 29th Oct 2012 at 20:55

You are, of course entitled to have an opinion and voice it - after all that's the foundation of our democratic society of which we live in. All I really want to know is how can they further prove themselves, and why they need to further prove themselves. Retro's outings have all been met with largely universal acclaim and the Zelda series has been largely kept within EAD. They've proven to make a consistent run of games over the last decade - I don't see what much else there is they could learn, asides from making an IP from scratch, but that is of little relevance to this debate.

Many would say it's a risk but give them freedom I can't really see why Retro can't make a good game - even if it may not be in the style of a conventional Zelda game.

21. the_yoshimaster Wednesday 31st Oct 2012 at 01:13

id think they should make a legend of zelda game and if it ant any good after then never make one again

22. Ciaran Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 15:41

It should be cool and good,Nintendo will kill me;but Skyward Sword Disappointed Me.I saw what it was trying to do,but that's what let it down.Twilight Princess Was Best by far,Wind Waker close Behind.