New Super Mario Bros U screenshots show different environments

The latest screens from Mario's Wii U adventure

Nintendo have released another batch of screenshots showcasing a variety of game-world environments for New Super Mario Bros U.

The screenshots show familiar locations such as underwater levels, dry deserts and snowy mountains, and of course they feature all the pitfalls you'd expect from a top notch Mario platformer. Sand geysers, rotating platforms and prickly blow fish are all waiting to halt your progress and keep Princess Peach waiting.

With the introduction of a new character this week, New Super Mario Bros U just keeps looking better. It's also one of your most wanted Wii U launch games.

Take a look through the screenshots below.

New Super Mario Bros U is one of the best Wii U games.

Comments

1. Shinigami_Link92 Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 14:51

No, they're almost entirely the exact same environments, just with fancy stuff in the background. When they're being criticised of not being innovative, why do Nintendo go and use the exact same world themes they always do? Why not have an actual space-themed world? Or a more urban-themed world? I'm not suggesting Tony Hawk/GTA style urban, but through a village or town in the Mushroom Kingdom or something. Definitely giving this game a miss.
    Also, I love how the newest thing that this game has that everyone is getting hyped about is a new character. Not a new villain or anything, it's essentially an overworld hazard. Really not that special.

2. shy guy 64 Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 17:00

looking good

3. Liefesa Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 17:15

I think it's looking great - should be very fun to play :)

Why not have an actual space-themed world? Or a more urban-themed world?

Thinking back to Super Mario Land: 6 Golden Coins (long ago...) there were some pretty different themes - space, on the moon with floaty gravity, inside a tree with odd goopy stuff that was hard to move through, in the branches of a tree, mechanical/clockwork house...

4. Skywardwolf23 Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 17:29

Hmm the new enviroment looks almost exactly the same, maybe a slight quirk here or there but not that much diffrent :|

5. 5OUNDWAVE Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 17:50

looking fantastic , plus i think mario know's how to get to bowser's castle by now it's not like he move's house every game , also why doe's mario have a blue hat and jumper and red dungaree's for ?

6. Shinigami_Link92 Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 18:18

I think it's looking great - should be very fun to play :)

Why not have an actual space-themed world? Or a more urban-themed world?

Yeah, that was the level I was thinking of. I loved the level. I only vaguely remember it, because I was about 6 when I last played that game, but yeah, what I remember of it was great.

7. mrmariomaster Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 20:48

why doe's mario have a blue hat and jumper and red dungaree's for ?

Because he's ICE MARIO!

8. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 1st Nov 2012 at 21:54

Regardless of whether the worlds are original, at least they look better than ever before. And if they're anything like the levels in the demo that's been on tour with the Wii U Showcase, they'll look even better on your telly and in motion.

9. GloverMist Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 19:07

I don't care if they're not the most original worlds ever, but my God, those underwater levels look pretty! Also, while I'm thinking about it: YAY, BOOM-BOOM'S BACK! He needs more love. :lol:

10. olrodlegacy Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 22:28

I still can't see this as any more than flogging a long-dead horse. Not enough originality to prompt me to part with Ł50 of my hard-earned money.

11. Nintendalek42 Saturday 3rd Nov 2012 at 00:44

I agree that the environments aren't innovative, and that Mario should definitely move away from his Plains-Desert-Beach-Forest-Mountain-Snow-Sky-Lava routine. The hype about a simple map enemy reflects the fact that NSMB2 only featured 5 new ennemies, with 1 being a mini-version of an enemy, and 2 being variations of each other. I'm still buying the game, if only for the lavish visuals and usual quality of gameplay. Mario is never disappointing, and this game is more innovative than this year's 3DS counterpart (which was still a great game), but I think the franchise's 2D series may risk becoming quickly truly stale. Releasing 2 games in one year wasn't a great idea, and i hope the next sequel is more innovative, even if we get no Mario next year. I'm avidly waiting for the next 3D opus though.

12. koopa_kicker Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 00:44

From the trailer it looks like Mario and co were flung far away, so maybe the order of worlds has just been mixed around, as they try get back to save Peach. I personally they need a different storyline to just Bowser/minions nabbing Peach pretty much every single time. Love to see something such as a villian using Bowser as a pawn(though at least they do things like this already in the side games) for example: dunno how it'd turn out, but even a completely bonkers senerio has to be better than the same reincarnation of NewNewNewSuperMarioBros.

13. DonnyKD Sunday 4th Nov 2012 at 12:13

Why not have an actual space-themed world? Or a more urban-themed world?

So having a Layer Cake Desert isn't original or new, but space is? Yeah, because that's never been done in Mario before!

Yeah, because replacing Bowser with a fat frog no one remembers was SOOO ORIGINAL!!!1!!!!

And the fact that Nabbit is an overworld hazard is why we're hyped for it. THEY'RE CHANGING THINGS UP.

Tell me how having a mechanic where you chase a little rabbit dude for a special item in established levels is less fun than Mario in space for the fifth time in the freaking row. Or replacing Bowser with someone we won't give a damn about.

14. SM3DL2 Sunday 11th Nov 2012 at 21:07

I hope there's not too many desert levels with Chain Chomps because I don't like them.

Looking good so far, however.