80% of Rayman Legends single player mode is a platformer

Touch-screen levels make up a fifth of the game

Emile Morel, the lead game designer on the upcoming Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends, has revealed that the main bulk of the single player game will focus on classic platforming. While touch-screen levels play an important part of the game, they will only count for around a fifth of the overall experience.

Speaking to ONM, Morel explained the design choices, saying "In the vast majority of the game you play as Rayman. However, we did also design a handful of levels (less than 20% of the game) with asymmetrical multiplayer in mind. Since this is the main innovation that the Wii U brings, we felt it was important to make content optimized for this".

He also revealed that Murphy will play a larger role in these levels. "These maps feature more situations where Murphy needs to interact with the world to clear paths and solve problems for the other players. So, when playing in single player, you will actually take control of Murphy to guide and protect another character".

Interestingly, these levels have been made optional extras, as Morel explained "We've included enough Teensies and lums in the more "traditional" maps to progress through the world without playing these maps. That said, these levels are really fun, and playing as Murphy in solo or in multiplayer is really a new gameplay experience that only the Wii U GamePad can offer you".

Rayman Legends is coming to Wii U in early 2013.

Comments

1. MJTH Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 11:05

I think 20% of the overall package is fair. If they are going to make the parts where you play as murphy legitimate gameplay sections, I assume their going to fill his bits with puzzles and stuff to make it more interesting. I doubt it will/ hope it won't be just as simple as the multiplayer help stuff that that has been shown of in events.

Either way, If we assume around 10 levels per world/ stage then I'm fine with 2 out of the 10 being different to mix up the game play, like the shooter sections did in origins. This is much better then the 40% of the game being murphy sections stated in a previous news story.

2. MartinIsAwesome Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 13:07

As I've already stated elsewhere, I really didn't think that much the demo I played at the Wii U Showcase Tour. It didn't feel like the Wii Remote player and the GamePad player were truely working together. As the GamePad play, in some stages it was my responsibility to do all the work and move things for the Wiimote player to press on with much distraction. Other times, like in the rhythm action stage, I felt like I wan't making any difference and in that instance I actually wished I was the one with the humble Wii Remote.
    That said, it does look and sound amazing. It's a shame the entire game isn't made up of those rhythm-action segments. If it was I would be much more optimistic about it.

3. Mr Roboto Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 14:19

I hope the theme of the levels vary a lot to keep me interested in finishing the game.

I'm holding on abit longer before pre-ordering it as at the moment I am not that impressed with it.

4. HyrulianToad Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 14:47

Finally got my hands on a wii u yesterday (yes it is awesome) got to play a music level and a normal one . When I played as the frog with someone else playing as rayman I found it quite boring as all I did was swipe things but soon I got to play as rayman and It was amazing . Keeping my eye on this game. :shock:

5. CyberGW Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 15:47

80% is a good amount. I can settle with that.

6. PokerusZero Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 17:49

Im glad that 80% of the game is plaforming as I was worrying that it wasn't going to focus on it. However I still dont know what the purple lums are all about.

7. imbusydoctorwho Friday 2nd Nov 2012 at 21:15

Around 80% is what I was hoping,and I'm happy with this news.