All-new Wii U internet browser details

More reasons to browse the internet on your new console

We already know that the Wii U internet browser supports HTML 5 but now Nintendo have revealed more details about the new console's browser.

For starters, it has been announced that the Wii U will run a NetFront browser (NX v2.1). According to an HTML 5 comparison, it outperforms all current generation consoles by a long way.

You will not be able to download, save or upload videos or pictures while the browser won't support plug-ins, such as flash.

Video formats include H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC Video) and MP4 which means it will play HD videos no probs while AAC codecs ensure that the sound will be high quality.

As we already know, the browser can run on your TV or via the Gamepad. You'll be able to pause your game, search for tips online, and then start playing again where you left off.

Do you think you will use the Wii U to browse the internet?

Comments

1. MartinIsAwesome Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 09:59

Most definitely. I'm one of the loonies who regularly use the Browser on the 3DS despite it being really cramped and hard to read. Having an easy to use web browser away from the computer is very welcome.

2. K-tet Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 10:15

Funny that you won't be able to download stuff via the Wii U browser. I think this is somewhat untrue. You won't be able to download any executable files etc, but for pictures, I think you're fine. Remember, the 3DS browser allows you to download pictures from the internet as it saves them onto the SD card, so I do see similar support for Wii U. It would be a tad daft not to. The Wii U has multimedia features and should capitalise on those (even though it's primarily a games console).

As for uploading features. I think Nintendo should enable this for picture files and video files. Why? It would allow for easy access for people that want to upload such media to their preferred social networking medium of choice, plus again, it allows the Wii U to take advantage of its multimedia features.

3. ledreppe Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 12:12

It would be nice if the wii U browser could meet all my browsing needs, but I think I'll end up relying on my PC for certain tasks. To be honest, it'll be fine just watching YouTube videos whilst pausing a game (no more switching tv between pc and console outputs!), but for intense browser capabilities I see the Wii U browser will be just as pathetic as the Wii and 3DS browsers are. Nintendo never get it just right with console web browsers.

4. NSMB23DS Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 12:15

I'm on this site every morning on my 3DS, eating toast and reading what's new. It's kind of like my newspaper. :)

5. K-tet Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 15:26

Define "intense browser capabilities". Your criticism would be sorely misplaced if you expect the Wii U browser to be anything like what you'd expect a PC to do. Don't expect it to download executable files, document files, archive files etc etc, because it's not designed for that. The OS (or in this case, firmware) and architecture (hardware) are both completely different.

Never compare a PC to a games console when it comes to internet browsing. Before you play the 360 card, that's based on a PC. Microsoft would be dead in the water if they couldn't use their Windows-based libraries (including Direct X) on their own native hardware. Nintendo isn't using a Windows-based core for their firmware, they're using their own. The browser supports tabs, Nintendo already confirmed that. The only restrictions are on what you can download, and that if I'm honest is no huge biggie.

6. CyberGW Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 17:02

I'm definitely going to be using the browser a lot, use it a lot on my 3DS and if the Wii U one is as good as it sounds, I'll be using it over my PC! :lol:
    Looks like you'll be able to upload stuff much easier, watch videos, I just hope you can simple copy and paste, something that is so simple but not in the 3DS Browser and wastes so much time copying stuff down on paper.
    Tabs also make it much easier obviously.

7. Amazan Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 17:18

The Wii U browser doesn't really bother me, because I never used the Wii browser (I still shudder at the thought of browsing with a motion controller), and while the 3ds does support 3D images, Nintendo browsers have never really been for me. To me, a better browser would mean a higher cost, so I'm fine with it.

8. Mr Roboto Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 19:00

As above I don't use home console Internet browser I always keep my iPad close by for that purpose.

Still it's good to see that the Wii u has another advantage over current home consoles.

9. Tamalay Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 21:55

Will it be like the Ipad with the typing though or will it be awkward and make me point at stuff it would be really handy for some of my work if I could use it like that :?:

10. Nintendalek42 Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 22:49

I will feel honestly dissapointed if you can't at least upload or download pictures. I''ll feel like nintendo are just making their browser half-heartedly, making some effort but not the whole thing. Not so bothered about videos.
    I would have preferred to be able to have flash on the browser, but I can easily use my computer.
    However, having to transfer screenshots to my computer using my USB key to upload them is not something I want to have to do and could easily be remedied with a little effort on nintendo's part.
    This article hardly gives "More reasons to browse the internet on your new console".
    I hope this doesn't actually turn out correct, because otherwise Nintendo won't have integrated their browser fully and their product won't feel as polished.

11. MasterBrawler91 Tuesday 6th Nov 2012 at 16:52

I use my 3DS for browsing the internet alot so this could be good! 8)

But I hope they could make it a bit faster than the Wii? :?