Best 3DS games to buy for Christmas

The games that should be on your Christmas list

It's not all about Wii U you know. While Nintendo's new console is undoubtedly the most exciting thing that's happening this Christmas, many people will be unwrapping a brand new 3DS XL on 25 December. Others can expect to receive some new 3DS games. But what are the best games that you can buy for Nintendo's 3D handheld this Christmas?

If you are already a 3DS owner, there are a few new 3DS games that are coming to the console before the end of the year that you should buy, and if you are new to the system, you've already got a library of classics to choose from. Yet we've all woken up on Christmas morning, eagerly opening the game-shaped package under the tree, only to discover that Mum has bought a turkey. Want to make sure that your Mum's money isn't wasted on an Angry Birds Trilogy? Read on...

The exciting new game: Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Three months after New Super Mario Bros 2, the world's most famous plumber returns in Nintendo's biggest 3DS game this Christmas. Set for release a few weeks before the big day on 7 December, this is the game that 3DS owners will want to put at the top of their wish list.

The Paper Mario series is very different from the main Mario adventures, although, Princess Peach has been kidnapped again in Sticker Star. You see, like N64's Paper Mario and GameCube's Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, it is a light-hearted role-playing game that's packed with lots of funny lines.

What makes this different is the power of the stickers which you have to collect and use in turn-based battles against traditional Mushroom Kingdom foes. Sticker Star begins on the night of the Sticker Fest - it is said that the Sticker Comet will make wishes come true and when Bowser and crew crash the festival, the Comet breaks into six pieces and Mario has to retrieve them as well as saving Peach and the Toads from the clutches of Bowser who is being helped out by Bowser Jr and Kamek.

So armed with a sticker book, Mario sets off on a new adventure in the Mushroom Kingdom. He can collect stickers so that he may use his traditional power-ups, including the Fire Flower, bash enemies with red and green shells and, in the best/most bizarre moment we've seen so far, use a goat sticker to summon a giant goat who will take a bite out of the enemy.

He can also use stickers to solve puzzles, using a desk fan to propel a windmill or making a ramp out of paper Toads. Genius.

Throw in a battle against some Mariachi Shy Guys and you've got what is sure to be one of the most entertaining games of the year.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. WolfyWardark Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 15:14

Definitely Paper Mario: Sticker Star! Shortly after Christmas, all being well, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Animal Crossing: New Leaf!

2. Sex Bob-omb Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 15:15

I have them all but paper Mario,I would also add epic mickey to this list that game looks awesome

3. MJTH Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 15:45

I can't wait for Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Recently I've been pre-ordering a bunch of games, in anticipation for the Wii U, but it will be nice to walk into a shop again to buy this. I only ever order games online at hardware launches. I find it less hassle to go into a store since I'm not worried of missing my packages in the post.

4. SuperJonnyMario Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 16:10

Mario Kart 7's online doesn't work for people like me. I hope Nintendo Network gets fixed before Wii U comes out. I don't want a home console in which I can't go online with.

5. 123akis Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 16:17

i have all of these except from paper mario!

6. tomonm Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 16:27

Yes, Epic Mickey is a good shout, too.

7. me4ndubz Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 17:30

I'm glad you've recognised kid icarus as the best 3ds game of 2012

8. thenintendoer Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 18:38

ill definately be hoping for paper mario this year i also plan to buy RE and KI as im quite far behind in terms of games as i havnt had much money to spend this year

9. Xikelle Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 19:24

I'm hoping to get Kid Icarus: Uprising, Rhythm thief and the emperor's treasure and Kingdom hearts: dream drop distance.

10. Tamalay Monday 5th Nov 2012 at 21:59

I have all the ones I want :( hurry up with a release date on pikachu 3ds xl, animal crossing 3ds and pokemon mystery dungeon 3ds as well as harvest moon a new beginning :(

11. fisher2007 Tuesday 6th Nov 2012 at 00:35

I need to know what month it's for animal crossing 3ds too also i think it's may come out march or april don't really know and i'm not psychic :(

12. Da_Epic_Fail Tuesday 6th Nov 2012 at 05:03

Getting Sticker Star and Layton for christmas. Have all the other games on the list.
    Hoping as well to get Epic Mickey, Virtue's Last Reward (loved 999) and SMT: Overclocked before the year is out as well.

13. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 6th Nov 2012 at 10:37

Of all the 3DS coming out this holiday season,only Epic Mickey,Paper Mario and Virtues Last Reward interest me.

14. SM3DL Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 17:50