Wii U can unite families - Miyamoto

Nintendo's legendary developer reveals big aim for new console

Nintendo is aiming to unite families with Wii U. That's the word from Shigeru Miyamoto who wants families to get together to play Wii U games or browse the internet in front of the TV.

According to Miyamoto, families have stopped enjoying the same activities in the living room thanks, in part, to laptops but Wii U can change that by offering a single device with which it is possible to play games and browse the internet. It also works as a TV remote.

"When we look around the current situation in the household, in most living rooms, even when different family members are getting together, they are all working on different things - some are working on their note PC, others are watching TV," Miyamoto told IGN. "Even when they are in the same living room, each person is doing his or her own job, irrespective of other members of the family.

"This time around with Wii U, each of the seemingly different activities we are doing today can be united by taking advantage of both the big TV screen and the smaller, more personalised screen on the Wii U GamePad. And with a Wii U GamePad, TV can be an improved experience as well. For example, web browsing on a TV screen is possible today, but not convenient; with Wii U it is much easier. Above all I think the Wii U is going to be able to unite each and any family by taking advantage of the TV in a more efficient way."

Of course, family entertainment is nothing new for Nintendo but being able to play games on the GamePad screen means that Nintendo's console can sit comfortably in the living room.

Miyamoto added: "Even though Nintendo has [always] been trying to provide the entire family with the opportunity to get together, the fact of the matter is that from time to time, when for example several family members would like to watch TV programs on the screen, Nintendo's console hardware was regarded as the obstacle, because they could not see the TV programs they really wanted to see. But with Wii U hardware the situation is going to be completely different... [it] can provide you with the circumstance in which the console cannot be the obstacle to disturb any entertainment that any of the family wishes to enjoy in the living room."

Wii U is coming to the UK on 30 November.

Comments

1. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 12:28

Not to mention for anyone in the position where there is only one family computer and multiple people wanting to browse the internet for different things, the Wii U can be another device which doubles as a game console. Add in the fact that if can use things like Netflix, and suddenly its a full-on family entertainment machine. Makes me think that a better name for the Wii U would be the "Family Computer" or prehaps the "Nintendo Entertainment System". Seriously, somebody at Nintendo should get a trademark on those before someone else nicks 'em.

2. 3DSRulesO.K Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 15:50

This sounds like a similar idea thay had with getting families together with Wii Sports, I remember having my whole family playing Wii Sports and Mario Kart Wii and just thinking to myself "My family is playing a videogame with me, this would never be possible on other consoles!"

I really hope I get that feeling from Wii U, makes me sad when I see people dismissing this "Cheap ipad rip-off" as "another one of Nintendos kiddie consoles" :(

Ah well, they don't know what they're missing out on :mrgreen:

3. Mr Roboto Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 17:50

It will be interesting how the Wii u sales will compare with the Wii launch sale figures.

Nintendo is regarded as a family brand with easy to use interfaces so I think Miyamoto will be correct. It was easier to teach my mum on how to use the iPad than the Sky+ remote :mrgreen:

4. thenintendoer Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 18:29

i feel this has been done already with the wii but im guessing miyamto is refering to news ways to unite families

5. Nintendalek42 Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 23:31

"I really hope I get that feeling from Wii U, makes me sad when I see people dismissing this "Cheap ipad rip-off" as "another one of Nintendos kiddie consoles" "

Those dismissing it as an I-Pad rip-off are very ill-informed idiots who won't try to properly understand something before criticising it. Those calling it a "kiddy" console are "gamers" who think gaming limits itself to Call of Duty or necessarily something with HD graphics and usually unimaginative gameplay. I try to respect X-Box 360 and PS3 fans, but they often have this sort of despicable elitist behaviour,which is bad for their image. I don't care for a PS3 or an X-Box 360, but I don't see a reason in bashing perfectly decent consoles that provide fun to people.

6. KairiZero Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 00:24

I don't understand a lot of the hate this system is generating also, these people are not actual gamers, they're just narrow fanboys - and the comments about the system being tailored for kids are just preposterous - there is a strong emphasis on family usage, but it also more than displays its graphical prowess and brings some excellent launch titles with it - who wouldn't be interested in trying such an intriguing new gaming concept like the Wii U out? I own both the PS3 and Xbox and to be honest they're both very good consoles with a good choice of titles between them, but from the moment I saw the original tech demos and possibilities for this machine, I knew it was a must have. I've owned quite a few consoles over the years, but there isn't anything quite like the hype of a new nintendo product, especially something as game changing as this, how people can mock it is insane!!

7. Alaxtis Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 13:47

Hoorah!! :D

8. SM3DL2 Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 23:51

Of course the WiiU can unite families. Nintendo aced that with the Wii, this is just a lucky promotional side effect. :D :D :D

9. SM3DL2 Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 23:53

Let's just face it. The WiiU Gamepad is just an iPad. Agreed? Why don't they do the option of a (cheaper) WiiU without a Gamepad but you just sync your iPad? BAM!

10. SM3DL2 Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 23:56

Quote from 'MartinIsAwesome: It'll certainly be more interesting to use the Internet with the family. I've often got my family to stand around the computer to show them a funny YouTube video, but to know that I can do the same thing on the TV where everone is confortably sitting on a sofa will make it all the more enjoyable.

I never thought of that. Thanks. That's another reason to get a WiiU.

11. Zamros Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 08:03

As much as I'd like to see this, it's kind of a reason why the Wii U is going to struggle to be taken seriously by gamers. The Wii was simply a joke among the eyes of almost every gamer on the planet and naming it this, marketing it to families and launching many a Mini-game title. I do hope that the Wii U can successfully appeal to both demographics :/
    Nevertheless, I'd like to see families picking up Bayonetta 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 :P

12. the_yoshimaster Sunday 11th Nov 2012 at 02:20

the wiiu will do more than unite families,but will bring joy to them.The wiiu is something that dont try to just give you enjoyment.It like they say,brings families together and the features it has like the chat function also can bring you together with family far away.And i dont know what else can bring people together but this consul will do what Nintendo wants it to tell people.With out competitions with the other companies.