Watch Nintendo Direct Miiverse specials now

Missed today's shows? Watch them again now!

The Japanese editions of Nintendo Direct are always a mysterious and wonderful thing. Perhaps it's the fact that we can't understand a word, or that Satoru Iwata always ends up doing something weird, but something about them is just captivating.

Today's was more captivating than usual, given that this is the official unveiling of Miiverse, Nintendo's new social network and the first screen you'll see when you switch on your Wii U.

Given that Nintendo have stayed tight-lipped about it for so long, it was good to see what's been kept from us since we saw it at E3 back in June. It was followed up by a US presentation by Nintendo US boss Reggie Fils-Aime. Missed the shows? You can watch them both below.

Comments

1. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 11:06

Well the gloves are quite wierd already.

Oh wait, it just happens to be the best "Unboxing" video ever.

2. MJTH Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 11:23

I hope I can watch a replay of this later. I missed the first 30 mimutes or so and I don't like watching stuff halfway through.... Especially when I can't understand what the narrator in this case is saying.

3. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 11:28

My Video Chat is ready! Iwata using the Wii U to Video Chat with Reggie. That was a turn up for the books

4. Mr Roboto Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 17:41

Home screen looks interesting I hope we have more options to choose from when we are creating our Mii's.

Does any one know if you will be able to adjust brightness and contrast on the gamepad?

5. KirbyKoolAid Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 19:41

I heard the words Wii Karaoke. Cool.

6. Hams96 Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 20:20

Will Miiverse and video chat eventualy be available on the 3DS?

7. NSMB23DS Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 22:08

Will Miiverse and video chat eventualy be available on the 3DS?

I read somewhere that Miiverse may available on 3DS. BTW, in Black/White there is Video AND Audio voice chat... so technically it has been available for thi DSi for quite some time.

8. CraigEmberson Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 22:29

I heard the words Wii Karaoke. Cool.

It's called "Joysound Wii Karaoke U" and is a music app.

9. CraigEmberson Wednesday 7th Nov 2012 at 22:31

Will Miiverse and video chat eventualy be available on the 3DS?

People got the wrong idea and their hopes too high about this. Miiverse will be an app on 3DS too but will be a pure news feed, with some connection between both consoles. Smartphones and PC will have the news feed alone, so you can catch up with messages and comments, etc... like twitter.

10. Herbert_Rarr Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 10:41

No Nintendo Land game in the box, so I guess that's gonna be pre-installed.
    I'm not sure how I feel about that.

11. MatthewONM Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 10:46

No Nintendo Land game in the box, so I guess that's gonna be pre-installed.
    I'm not sure how I feel about that.

No, it comes boxed in the UK Premium Pack. Iwata was unboxing the Nintendo Land-free Japanese version.

12. dustyRobbins1 Thursday 8th Nov 2012 at 20:24

That guy playing NSMBU and looking at flying squirrels has the shortest attention span ever.