New Sonic games incoming in 2013

What do you want from the next Sonic game?

It's been a pretty quiet year for Sonic on Nintendo platforms with Sonic And All-Stars Racing and Mario And Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games 3DS being the only new games starring the hedgehog in 2012. However, there's more to come from the hog in 2013 as new games are planned for next year.

In addition to releasing toys across Europe, there are plans for new downloadable titles and, most excitingly more Sonic fans, a new boxed game.

"Over the next year there will be a big focus on the expansion of [Sonic licensed] toy distribution across Europe," SEGA's European head of brand licensing Sissel Henno is reported to have told Toys 'n' Playthings magazine.

"Similarly, we will also be growing the apparel, publishing and stationary categories. We will have several new digital titles launching as well as a new boxed game, so there will be plenty of opportunities to link marketing campaigns across games and merchandise."

Linking marketing campaigns across games and merchandise? That sounds pretty dull but the promise of a new Sonic game will appeal to fans of the hog. Especially considering previous Nintendo outings such as Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations 3D have been pretty good on 3DS.

What do you want from the next Sonic game?

[ Source: NintendoEverything ]

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 09:32

good to know

2. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 09:45

I'll ask the same as I always do:

A new game, without extra "friends", that plays like the Megadrive originals. That's all.

I don't want Sonic Generations which ruins the original games. I don't want Sonic Colours which is nothing like the originals. I don't want Sonic 4 which superficially looks exactly the same as the originals but adds broken physics and stupid gimmicks.

I just want a 2D, sprite based, PROPER Sonic game. Is that too much to ask?

3. tomonm Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 09:53

I think it's funny how Sonic doesn't seem to be allowed to move on and do something different. Wouldn't you ever want a game like Mario Galaxy but starring Sonic?

4. Guybrush20X6 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:06

I'll ask the same as I always do:

I just want a 2D, sprite based, PROPER Sonic game. Is that too much to ask?

This statement has everything wrong with the Sonic fandom.
    I'm willing to bet if Sega did bring out a sprite game people would complain about Sonic being one shade too bright or Eggman wearing the wrong colour of underpants.

Personally I found Classic Sonic's sections of Sonic Generations to be one of the best parts, rewarding precise timing and skilful platforming.

5. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:09

Sonic *has* been allowed to move on and do something different. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were great.

Problem is, whereas virtually every Mario game, however different, is great, Sonic fails and disappoints. He's just less versatile than Mario. It's not a bad thing, but he needs to play to his strengths: i.e. 2D platformers or non-technically-broken 3D games (Sonic Heroes and Sonic 06 are actually broken).

Nintendo poor love into each Mario game and layer polish and shine over it. Sega rush a pile of crap out with Sonic's face on it because kids will buy it. They no longer care.

6. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:10

They were one of the best parts. But sadly, they made up 10% of the overall game.

7. Herbert_Rarr Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:13

I think if SEGA could make a 3D adventure game the quality of Galaxy, it would be very popular. However, most recent attempts have been rather disappointing. I think that the developers have taken too literally that Sonic is extremely fast, and that has ruined the gameplay.
    In Mario games, you move quite slowly and the emphasis is on precision platforming skills, much like the original Sonic games of the Genesis era. Nowadays, with games like Rush, Colors and Generations giving "modern Sonic" blistering speed, it's difficult to even tell where you're going, which completely spoiled those games for me (I only played Generations for the classic Sonic levels).
    I think the fans would enjoy it more if Sonic went back to it's roots, with simpler, slower gameplay, a reduced moveset and a design resembling the original Sonic games.
    Perhaps a downloadable title similar to Sonic Advance 1, or something like Generations with more of a focus on classic Sonic. Not another unfathomably quick 3D adventure platformer with a measly amount of levels.

8. Darren Hastie Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:29

they should keep sonic 2D and make the levels bigger and the games longer 2d is the way sonic sould be keep him in the format he was meant to be in

9. reeesy Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:30

After playing Sonic 4, i'v realised If you want classic 2D Sonic, play the originals on the Virtual Console. No modern 2D Sonic will ever be able to step out of their shadow. They're too nostalgic.
    I too agree that Sonic needs to move on. On to what exactly, I don't know. I'm not a fan of the 3D games so far. Due to the lightening fast speed, I find there are too many cheap deaths as you can't see where you're going. They are treated almost like racing games when they should be about platforming. His recent games aren't terrible games by any means, but they haven't quite nailed 'it' quite like Mario did with the Galaxy games.
    But there's definitely life in the old hog yet. He's a popular character.

10. tomonm Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:47

All this keeping Sonic 2D business. I thought people liked Sonic Adventure 2 on the GameCube.

11. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:50

I do. It's fantastic.

The problem is they "evolved" it into Sonic Heroes, Sonic 06 and so on. Sonic Adventure 3, I would like.

12. Tamzily01 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 10:57

Sega should make more 3D Sonic games, just to spite those who think the series should go back to its 2D roots. Now, I know there have been some games in the series recently that the fans have enjoyed for its side-scrolling gameplay (Sonic 4 Episodes 1&2, Classic Sonic in Generations), but these are more 2.5D than they are 2D. The games have been improving since Unleashed though. Not the Wii/PS2 version, that was terrible. And I really see Generations as having the best 3D Sonic gameplay since SA2 was released. If Sega keep with that, I'll be more than happy to buy the next platformer. Oh, and keep Mike Pollock on as Eggman.

13. tomonm Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 11:04

Okay,s o if Sega make Sonic Adventure 3 we're happy, right? As for going back to its 2D roots, Sega have done that with Sonic 4 and there's plenty of room for that. Look at the success of the New Super Mario Bros series and how well Rayman Origins has been received by the critics.

But I just think that Sonic needs to move on. Unless Sega can inject new life into the 2D platformer as Ubisoft did with Rayman Origins, doing another 2D platformer is a bit safe. Sonic Adventure 3, if Sega could get it right? Now you're talking...

14. Herbert_Rarr Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 11:23

Maybe...
    I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube when I was young, but became tired of it as I grew older. The controls were too imprecise and you could never tell what you were going to home in on until you pressed the button. And I didn't like using the different characters, like Tails in that machine of his.
    Sonic 4 was a shambles. Episode 1 had broken physics which completely ruined it. Although the ideas, such as the level design, bosses and special stages were good - attempting to recapture the classic style - modern Sonic doesn't work with 2D platformers for me. And as far as I'm concerned, Episode 2 doesn't exist as it never came to a Nintendo console. Would it have been too hard to bring it to the eShop?
    Even though I would prefer a back-to-basics classic Sonic title, I'm not against seeing the series move on. Sonic Heroes shook up the gameplay with character teams, which I found quite enjoyable, so I'm not saying they shouldn't try to progress the series, but it's not the sort of thing that would be on the top of my list of Sonic games I would like to play.

15. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 11:33

Okay,s o if Sega make Sonic Adventure 3 we're happy, right?

As long as it's as good or better as SA or SA2, yes.

As for going back to its 2D roots, Sega have done that with Sonic 4

And broke it. They changes the physics. They added lock-on. They forgot about how the game was supposed to play and just made it look the same as a HD Sonic 2 - even recycling the graphics rather than creating new one.

Because they have been good. They've been crafted, not thrown together by the work experience boy.

I just want another good Sonic game. I've been waiting forever.

16. callum2003 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 11:34

I know! I liked shadow the hedgehog idk what all the hate was for.

17. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 11:36

I know! I liked shadow the hedgehog idk what all the hate was for.

In all seriousness, are you (or were you) ill?

I mean, look:
    http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/gameover/vide ... -hedgehog/

18. K-tet Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 11:41

Unfortunately, asking people what they want in a Sonic game is always going to cause arguments. The Sonic Fanbase is atrocious. I'm a fan of Sonic, but hell, I would never associate myself with the fanbase as god awful as the Sonic Fanbase actually is. I thought herd mentality was a marketing ploy.

What would I like to see from Sega and their new Sonic games? Nothing in particular. I'll play whatever they come up with and then judge it for myself. I don't care if Sonic's a shade too blue or Eggman's name rolls back to Robotnik or whatever petty argument the fanbase can cough up. I just want to play a new Sonic game. I don't care if the fanbase hates it, just as long as I like it and enjoy it for what it is, a Sonic game. Like the minority I guess, I want a good Sonic game, just unfortunately, the majority doesn't seem to want to move on from 2001 at the very latest, with some refusing to move on past 1994. It's ridiculous.

19. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 12:04

I'm happy to move on to new Sonic games. As long as the new Sonic games are worth playing.

20. KairiZero Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 12:09

I'm banking on a sequel to Sonic Generations! Not a bad thing, I quite enjoyed it, probably one of the better sonic games in the last few years for sure!!!

21. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 12:11

Stabbing yourself in the eye with a fork is a better Sonic game than most from the last few years as well, though...

22. CDS Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 12:15

Sonic Adventure 2 for me is the best, as I sure it is for many, 3D Sonic game. From the Gamecube's Battle, and the HD Dreamcast remake on the XBOX360, I've had loads of hours playing this. Then never had another Sonic game until Generations on the PS3.
    Still play Sonic Advance 2 on the GBA, but that's about it. Going onto Generations again, after returning to Battle, the 3D sections don't have the same feel, however spectacular looking, of Adventure 2. And I feel the same goes for the classic Sonic levels of Generations against the Advance games.
    If Advance and Adventure were rebooted , with the same feel as the originals, that would make my day.

As for a new direction? Open world exploration or a full Chao Garden experience. Maybe you could even bring both of those together. Be a great start for a new Sonic on WiiU.

23. carnivine chaos Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 12:29

I'll ask the same as I always do:

I just want a 2D, sprite based, PROPER Sonic game. Is that too much to ask?

Clearly you haven't played Sonic 4 Episode 2...

24. hammster Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 13:03

Sonic is basically Poochie from the Simpsons. That's how I imagine he was designed.

Ditch the friends, ditch the stupid 'tude, ditch the story, ditch the voice acting, ditch the cheesy music and, provided the level design/camera aren't terrible, you've potentially got a half decent game. Just make a game where you can run really fast and do jumps and loops and stuff.

25. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 13:30

Clearly you haven't played Sonic 4 Episode 2...

I have. Physics is better, but still wrong. Graphics are still mostly just from other games (Act 1 is Aquatic Ruin mixed with Marble Garden, for example). Still has homing. Still has useless gimmicks.

Even worse, it has Tails as a necessary assist! Lord help us all.

26. tomonm Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 13:45

I always think this argument that modern Sonic games are bad is a bit lazy. People seem to ignore the handheld games. The Sonic Advance and Rush games are excellent and Sonic Generations 3DS is good.

27. Herbert_Rarr Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 13:58

Sonic Advance 1 is my favourite Sonic game since the turn of the millennium; Sonic Advance 2 was too fast and speed-based, 3 was better, but still suffered from the same problem.
    Sonic Rush was, again, too fast and speed based with too many pointless trick moves. I didn't really get on with this game.
    Sonic Generations was very good, but the Modern Sonic levels were still too fast. And I don't like the cut-scenes in recent games either, they just seem out-of-place.
    The handheld games have been better than the home-console ones, but they still don't live up to the classic games.

28. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 14:03

Sonic Advance 1 and 2 were great. 3 was full of leap-of-faith deaths. Rush was good, but too much about tricks (and introduced MORE "friends"), and Rush Adventure was rubbish because you had to play every level 25134283564 times.

Sonic Generations 3DS is great until Classic Sonic turns into Modern Sonic, because that means you have two Modern Sonics. Which is early in the game and a Very Bad Thing.

Here's what I wrote about it at the time:

"I donít know what to say.

At some point in the game, it says ďClassic Sonic can now use the Homing Attack!Ē and I died inside.

I donít want to talk about it."

29. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 14:05

FWIW, the BEST handheld Sonic game is Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure: http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/museum/games/game.php?id=103

30. Tazer_Silverscar Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 14:07

Generations was fun, but no City Escape on the 3DS!? Come on, man. That's crap >.< Also the full ending is rubbish too.

The way I see it, Sonic Colors was the closest to striking a balance between the hardcore players and the casuals. And to me they did a very good job. They just need to find that balance again.

I know people are gonna say I'm insane or something, but I genuinely liked Shadow the Hedgehog. Sure, the weapons felt tacked on, and the story was a little confusing in places, but it wasn't really intrusive. In most cases, where a homing attack would be suicidal (there are quite a few instances), the weapons really do help rather than hinder.

The Adventure games did a pretty good job, but both had a few annoying issues. Tails seems to always get the short straw. Turning the Tornado 3 into a car is a bum move in the first place because it can't defend itself (hello, IQ of 300 and you can't think of giving the car form a weapon or something when you're supposed to be SAVING THE PRESIDENT!?), but turning it into a walker-mech and then never giving the option to get out of it is really annoying >.< (any game where Tails is present and he cannot use his key character trait is a bum deal IMO). However, having Eggman build what is essentially the exact same thing when he's known for his mechs being extravagant monstrosities is just lazy.

...anyone else here think the Macross Valkrie rip-off (the 'X-Tornado') from the Sonic X TV series would have been a better option than the Tornado 3?

31. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 14:19

Generations was fun, but no City Escape on the 3DS!?

I know! Phew, eh? Dodged a bullet there.

32. MartinIsAwesome Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 14:27

Wow. There's so much going on here. I don't know where to start.
    First Iím going to answer the initial question, then address some of the points raised in this thread.

Three of my all-time favourite Sonic games have actually been released in the last couple of years; Sonic Colours on Wii and both versions Sonic Generations. Iíd be very happy just to see more games like these.
    With regards to a 3D game, a potential Sonic Colours 2 would be very welcome. I loved how well the Wisps worked due to the fact that they were essentially based on Sonicís present skills; I mean, what was the Pink Spike power but a souped up Spin Dash? I also really liked the fact that the Sonic did a little double jump as a mid-air action instead of that little forward dash seen in other games.
    Itíd also be great if they made a game based entirely around the Classic Sonic half (not 10%, deKay) of Sonic Generations.
    And of course, a new game like Sonic Rush is always nice to see.

Another thing I want to see which hasnít been said is the return of Sonicís friends. Yeah, I said it.
    Everyone moans about the side characters and I think itís highly unjustified. When they are just hanging around in the background and chatting to you as NPCs, fair enough if it annoys you, but Iíd like to see some of them have a more active role.
    Remember whole in Sonic 3 & Knuckles you could play the same game as Tails or Knuckles? That was fun right? Getting to fly around to find extra items as Tails and find completely different routes as Knuckles was great!
    And what about Sonic Adventure 2? One game, three different play styles, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

I think the problem there is that Sonic has branched off into different directions so much and with such fluctuating success that fans want more safety. Let's have a look at some of them:

Sonic Spinball - Sonic is the ball in a pinball themed spin-off complete with Chaos Emerald collecting and bosses. Gets some stick, but I really like it.
    Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island - Sonic goes isometric and has to collect little birds from robots and dump them in a giant Ring to progress further into the stage. A fun and different idea but hard to control in places, diminishing its credibility.
    Sonic Heroes - Introduced a team mechanic that had you switching characters to use their unique abilities. Worked well, with some fun stages and interesting gameplay, but quite glitchy in places.
    Sonic Battle - A fighting game with a simple but repetitive combat system. You could collect each character's individual moves and combine them any way you like to create a fighting robot. Some people love it, others hate it.
    Shadow the Hedgehog - Play as bad-boy Shadow who can use a variety of weapons. The game was critically panned and while the gun-play was iffy, the best part was the "Choose Your Route" story with multiple (lame) endings.
    Sonic and the Secret Rings - At the request of fans, Sega ditched the extra characters and focus on Sonic with a unique gameplay mechanic; Sonic is constantly running forward and you steer him with the Wii Remote. It was rubbish.
    Sonic Unleased - As well as a new and well received control method which includes boosting and drifting, it was shared with the Werehog sections. People hated the werehog, but actually judged on it's own the stretchy limbed platforming and combat gameplay was quite good.

As you can see, Sega has been experimental, but so many of them polarised fans and critics alike that many just want a more straight-laced Sonic experience. I personally hope this doesnít put Sega off of trying different things though.

Wouldn't you ever want a game like Mario Galaxy but starring Sonic?

I thought that's what Sonic Colours was, what with the selectable "worlds" and the focus of Power Ups in the shape of the Wisps. Also it has simple story and well-crafted gameplay.

Okay, so if Sega make Sonic Adventure 3 we're happy, right?

Iím not sure if youíve ever played Sonic 06, but that game is essentially Sonic Adventure 3. It is almost identical to the first Sonic Adventure, but I donít think people like to associate it with the ďAdventureĒ series due to it unfortunately being the worst game in the franchiseís history.
    As for breathing new life in the 2D games, wouldnít you say that Sonic Rush and Sonic Generations 3DS does a good job of that? I certainly would.

33. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 14:31

Ah, but it is less than half, as although Classic Sonic levels only make up half the game (less, if you count bosses), fewer than half of the Classic Sonic levels are actually Classic Sonic. As soon as he gets the homing attack that's it - Classic Sonic is dead. Perhaps not 10% overall, but less than 25% for sure.

I would love a whole game just based round the *actual* Classic Sonic levels.

34. MartinIsAwesome Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 14:50

I would love a whole game just based round the *actual* Classic Sonic levels.

That's because 'modern Sonic' has been around longer than 'classic Sonic'. If you count Sonic Adventure as teh start of the modern era, that's been going for 14 years since 1998. There's only 7 years of the classic era, so technically it is in the minority at 33% overall. Don't blame Sega for that, blame time.

35. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 15:13

But there's no reason they couldn't have had Classic Sonic stay the same with the same original abilities for the entire game. After all - he didn't gain all those abilities in just a few hours play in his "real" timeline...

36. Herbert_Rarr Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 15:21

I actually enjoyed using the homing ability with classic Sonic in Generations, it really helped out. However, I wouldn't like to see it in a classic Sonic based game.
    The homing ability is very useful in the 3D games, but isn't necessary in a sidescroller.

37. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 15:21

Oh, we need this here too:

38. shy guy 64 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 15:51

agreed

39. IPecksU Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 16:06

I'd like them to build off colours but made to last longer and have more challenging areas.

40. Kyranosaurus Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 16:23

What I want is for them to stop trying to please the "Hardcore" Sonic fans.

Really, it holds them back. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were the best Sonic games I've ever played yet with new Sonic games I get slowed down and demotivated on the 2D bits in a 3D game.

I'd really want a fresh and pure Sonic Adventure 3 but I'm afraid of what it'll become if they did make it.

Move forward, Sega! Get Sonic Team back on their feet too while you're at it! :?

41. 3DSRulesO.K Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 16:31

For me, the daytime levels in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colours and the modern Sonic levels in Sonic Generations should be the basis for how Sonic games play like from now on, the controls were perfect, the music was amazing and different in most levels, and they even had a fresh, new, original idea with the wisp power-ups, which were suprisingly well implemented.

42. MartinIsAwesome Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 16:42

Just get over it, will you? Firstly, you don't even have to use the homing attack at any point. Secondly, what do you mean in his "real" timeline, like your trying to apply real life logic? There's not supposed to be realism in Sonic. It's trying to crowbar in realism which lead to Sonic 06.

Oh, and the Sonic Cycle is dead, so you can get over that too while you're at it.

43. Pyron12 Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 16:42

I know! I liked shadow the hedgehog idk what all the hate was for.

In all seriousness, are you (or were you) ill?

I mean, look:
    http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/gameover/vide ... -hedgehog/

Don't criticize someone for liking an average game deKay! Shadow the hedgehog was good because of the multiple endings and the gameplay being different to a Sonic game yet it was too harshly criticized for that. What do you expect from a game the stars the best Sonic character to exist? A light tone or a dark tone? We also got to see Shadow develop character as he struggled to remember what happened.

44. alexkinch Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 17:03

Sonic cd was an overated game with great ideas. I grew up on the master system 8 bit sonics only playing the mega drive ones via game cube. Sonic advance is my fave sonic game ever. As for what i want? A good mix of 2d and 3d. Sonic generations with out the level scoring would be fun.

45. DeathTheKidXIII Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 18:16

As long as plays the same sort of way as Generations, I'm up for a new Sonic game for defo :D

46. Danny Dowling Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 18:49

Sonic hasn't (evidently until now at least) been much good in a 3D plane, especially when the creator started Sonic because he liked to get through stage 1-1 on Mario as fast as possible. Sonic has 2 options as I see it; do what Capcom did with Mega Man 9 & 10 and go back to the roots (something like Sonic 3 + Sonic and Knuckles as that's my all time fav game) or alternatively they can sit down and really work on making Sonic as good as he can be.

Oh and to anyone that doesn't appreciate Sonic 4: Get your head out from inside your backside, Episodes I & II are both exceptional platformers. They did exactly the right thing and brought the old magic of Sonic into the 21st Century.

- Danny Dowling, ex video game journalist (hobby).

47. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 19:12

If there's no need to use the homing attack, why include it?

And you started the timeline thing with percentages of Sonic's "life"! :)

The Sonic Cycle is still live and well for me.

48. deKay Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 19:18

Thing is, it wasn't even average. It was far, far worse. Even if you get past the terrible direction they decided to take the series in, and you're capable of stomaching the awful dialogue (which is painful - at least in SA/SA2 it was just cheesy), you still have to contend with the broken Sonic Heroes game engine and all the random deaths, unsuccessful homing attacks and the bugs causing you to fall through walls and floors.

The level designs are all terrible compared to other games too - there's no iconic City Escape or Radical Highway here. The music is woeful as well.

The story may be fantastic, and I'm of the mind a great story can carry a weak game, but in this case it's nowhere near enough - no matter how much you may love Shadow.

49. goldtanooki Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 20:56

Hear Hear!

50. CDS Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 22:31

I was thinking of a good idea for a Sonic game.
    We've had all sorts of Sonic games, from ones taking place on earth, to ones in fantasy islands, but have we ever had one where Sonic is transported to a world where Eggman has won?
    Think about it. It would make a great 25th Anniversary of Sonic. It would play like Generations on the PS3/360, but with improved play physics.

I think the reason Sonic's games are going downhill is because they seem to be focusing more on getting A or S ranks than on playing at your own pace. Especially with Generations where it would actually tell you what you had to do to get the next rank. If SEGA were to pull the focus of this to non-existance, maybe we'd have a better Sonic game, no matter whether 2D or 3D.

51. LugiaCake Friday 9th Nov 2012 at 23:34

But... I LIKED Shadow the Hedgehog...

52. TheVelvetRoom Saturday 10th Nov 2012 at 04:44

I'd be up for an Episode 3 of Sonic 4 if they finally got somebody to do a proper soundtrack for it instead of that dreadful synth addict. As for the 3D series, I say reboot it and keep a minimal amount of the cast, while finally moving away from Eggman as the default antagonist. Maybe also make a stylistic shift like Jet Set Radio style cel-shading.

53. Da_Epic_Fail Saturday 10th Nov 2012 at 08:23

(Points to Sonic 06) Not that. :D

Nah, in seriousness, I'd like a style similar to Colours and HD Generations for the main release, they were just great fun.
    I could also see a Skylanders-esque game being in the works, seeing as they said they wanted to expand their toy lines and considering the amount of money that series has made.

54. Tazer_Silverscar Saturday 10th Nov 2012 at 10:21

I was thinking of a good idea for a Sonic game.

Sounds like a nice idea. It was actually done in Sonic CD, but that was using time-travel rather than dimension hopping. Obviously the time-travel mechanic sees Sonic undo Eggman's victory, but it's there nonetheless.
    Although if it's gonna be related to Generations, Eggman needs to return from Whitespace first.

Maybe. The trouble is that a lot of Sonic players like a challenge, and the Ranking system does just that.

55. Herbert_Rarr Saturday 10th Nov 2012 at 11:10

And the main problem is that Sonic games don't usually have very many levels, so are over quite soon. The ranking system was an attempt at adding re-play value and longevity to the games, albeit a rather cheap one if you ask me.
    Look at Mario games and you get a huge amount of levels, whereas in Sonic games you normally only get about seven. I think this is the main problem which needs solving in the series.

56. epiclink Saturday 10th Nov 2012 at 11:27

i want to see another sonic rpg for the 3ds.
    there you go that's all i need to say.

57. abovethewell Saturday 10th Nov 2012 at 19:31

Sonic Adventure/ 2 Battle and Heroes were my favorite games when I was young- 8 years later, they still hold up. Why else would they remake SA2B in HD for xbox? I know Heroes gets a lot of hate, but I loved it :') Just an idea for the downloadable games, how about a game set in the Echidna wars (Tikal's time). That plotline deserves an extension, can still remember the 'servents of chaos' speech by Tikal's Grandma in SA :D

58. the_yoshimaster Sunday 11th Nov 2012 at 02:01

i think they should make a game like sonic hero's and like Mario and sonic at the ..
    But like its an adventure sonic were ya know you travel and fight the bosses but in sonic hero's you were able to switch characters.well they should make something like that but Mario characters are involved since they basically are in the same world(which is proven by mario and sonic at the Olympic games)So its like Mario fighting along with sonic and i hear Nintendo owns sega anyway so that would be a good game and i would buy that.

59. deKay Sunday 11th Nov 2012 at 10:21

Um, Nintendo don't own Sega you silly boy :)

60. CDS Sunday 11th Nov 2012 at 12:53

SEGA mainly publish games on Nintendo consoles, since they was the main competition back when the two were in competition, but no way does Nintendo own SEGA, as it is it's own company. And also both Mario and Sonic universes are different from each other, but just brought together for a bit of competition. In other words, both are transported to our world.

61. deKay Sunday 11th Nov 2012 at 13:48

Technically, Mario is already from our world and Sonic was transported there in Sonic X... But anyway.

62. imbusydoctorwho Monday 12th Nov 2012 at 11:17

Sonic Colours 2.
    Now that would be brilliant.

63. Herbert_Rarr Monday 12th Nov 2012 at 14:55

Tbh, actually, I would be happy if they re-made Sonic Advance 1, added in a bunch of new characters and extra levels, improved the Chao garden and sold it on the eShop for under a tenner.

64. deKay Monday 12th Nov 2012 at 15:35

No no no no no!

65. CDS Monday 12th Nov 2012 at 17:11

I can understand the hate with new characters being added to the Sonic universe.
    I've been reading here and elsewhere that Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was a failed game and worst ever in the series, but I didn't know how bad. So I went on Youtube and looked up a walkthrough.
    It's an awful abomination that looks more like a HD remake of Sonic Adventure 1 with new characters, cutscenes and redesigned levels with broken physics than a new game. I couldn't believe it! And to think they sold it at £40 when it was new? You would have been better off buying a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure 1 or the DX version on Gamecube.
    Anyway, rant over.

66. Darkblizz Monday 12th Nov 2012 at 17:31

Sonic Chronicles 2 plzkthxbai

67. sambrown64 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 20:54

Sonic Generations 3D was great, although I only really enjoyed select parts and levels from the game rather than the entire thing. The modern Sonic gameplay was incredible; that with better levels would be great. Using Play Coins to unlock missions was a great feature, too.

68. CDS Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 21:37

Okay. From what I've been saying about modern Sonic games being great, I have just one flaw with them.
    Boosting.
    Why was this a neccessary addition into a game which already has you going fast? Surely the spin dash would have been appropriate?

69. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 11:19

I actually love the Boosting feature. It gives you the chance to move so fast that you can plough though enemies without it slowing down over time like the Spin Dash. Then again, if the development team did bring back the Spin Dash as a standard maneuver I wouldn't mind at all as I still love it for it's retro charm.

70. Mew3 Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 16:37

BRING BACK THE CHAO GARDEN!
    KEEP THE BOOSTING!
    HURRY UP AND MAKE SONIC CHRONICLES 2 ALREADY!!!!! :evil:

.....(I hope they release a trailer soon so Shadow759 can make a video of it :D )

71. Mew3 Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 16:45

THAT is what I want.

72. Mew3 Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 16:47

But... I LIKED Shadow the Hedgehog...

Me too!

73. hammster Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 21:20

Sonic's single player should just be really simple. Run super fast through levels. 3D or 2D is fine. No story, nothing stupid. Just Sonic running fast through levels.
    Bolt on an improved Chao Garden.
    Add a load of multi player modes like the ones out of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Use the friends here and here only.

74. SonicWarrior Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 17:09

I'll ask the same as I always do:

I just want a 2D, sprite based, PROPER Sonic game. Is that too much to ask?

*Sigh* :roll:
    Look dude, I enjoy the classics as much as anyone, but come on!!! Do we really need to regress back to sprite based stuff now, when we have all this techology??? As someone said before, this whole comment you have here represents everything wrong with the Sonic fandom....
    1. That's your opinion, but how does Generations ruin the originals?
    2. ....Uhhh, who said Colors was supposed to be like the originals? It's supposed to be new, and it actually does feel pretty akin the Classic games. What you said just sounds like a really bad excuse to say you hate the game... -__-
    3. ....Okay I kinda agree with you there, except for the gimmicks part. The Classic games always had their own level specific gimmicks, but the ones in Sonic 4 were rather lame and uninspired.
    But a game doesn't need 2D sprites in order to be good.
    Also, I find it hilarious how games like Generations and Colors that are more like the Genesis games you hate, but you like SA1 and SA2.

75. SonicWarrior Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 17:20

Oh, we need this here too:

And, really dude...? The whole Sonic Cycle thing, is how should I say this... "IRRELIVANT NOW"... You know what? Screw this...

76. deKay Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 21:04

I wish for a world with glorious HD sprite based platformers. Imagine the good that can be done with this technology now.

77. SonicWarrior Thursday 22nd Nov 2012 at 14:15

But it doesn't really need to. Look at New! Super Mario Bros. U, that game looks beautiful. And what about Donkey Kong Country Returns? Return to Dream Land? Come on dude, as I love games like Sonic CD and Sonic 3 and Knuckles, there's no need to regress to sprites.

78. deKay Thursday 22nd Nov 2012 at 15:27

I don't like the character models in the NSMB games (and this goes back as far as the models in Mario vs Donkey Kong on the GBA too). I much prefer those in SMW or All-Stars.

DKCR looks terrible - as did the original DKC games.

Return to Dreamland looks good though.

Sprites aren't regression. Games like Cave Story, Fez, Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, etc. all use sprites to great effect.

I've nothing against 3D models as such, it's just they have a place - and that place (in my opinion) isn't usually in 2D platformers.

79. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 22nd Nov 2012 at 17:30

You're my new best friend in the world.

80. SonicWarrior Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 12:57

Not everyone. I thought Generations and Colors were way better.

81. SonicWarrior Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 13:00

Sonic Colours 2.
    Now that would be brilliant.

Agreed!!! :D

82. CDS Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 22:32

I'd agree to that statement if only it didn't keep swapping to a 2D perspective.
    It's meant to be a 3D world. But other than that, they are great.

83. SonicWarrior Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 23:06

It's meant to be a 3D world. But other than that, they are great.

True. I think the next 3D Sonic game will be full 3D, since Iizuka made note that the next game will have a different gameplay formula.

84. SonicWarrior Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 23:08

[quote="MartinIsAwesome" You're my new best friend in the world.

:D

85. CDS Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 19:26

Got Sonic Mega Collection Plus yesterday, and I was thinking.
    It's new Sonic games. More than one. So what if one of them was a proper Sonic Adventure 3, and the other implementing the gameplay of 3D: Flickies Island?
    Everyone would be cheering for a proper Adventure 3, but would a new styled Flickies Island game go well?

86. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 00:12

So what if one of them was a proper Sonic Adventure 3 Everyone would be cheering for a proper Adventure 3

I'll say it again, there was a proper Sonic Adventure 3 and it was called Sonic 06 and it was cack.

87. deKay Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 09:41

If it was rubbish, it wasn't a proper Sonic Adventure :)

Sonic 06 wasn't anyway - Sega said it was a complete reboot.

88. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 10:13

If it was rubbish, it wasn't a proper Sonic Adventure :)

Sonic 06 wasn't anyway - Sega said it was a complete reboot.

The first Sonic Adventure was rubbish too. Does that not make it a proper 'Sonic Adventure' game?
    You can disown it all you like, and Sega can say what they like, but like it or not the fact remains that.

89. deKay Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 10:24

The first Sonic Adventure was (and still is) great. Perhaps not in your opinion, but the reviews reflect my thoughts.

Sonic 06, however, was slated by EVERYONE. Even Sega themselves.

It's not even called Sonic Adventure, anyway.

90. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 18:33

Sonic 06, however, was slated by EVERYONE. Even Sega themselves.

It's not even called Sonic Adventure, anyway.

Just because it isn't officially named as such, it doesn't mean it's not the same beast. The two games are almost identical
    As for the first Sonic Adventure, it may have been great once but I find it has aged rather badly. Glitchy as hell too.

91. CDS Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 21:09

If I may so inject some wisdom Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 does indeed seem like SEGA's attempt to reboot the Adventure series, rather than add a third addition. They did this by remaking some of the levels of the original Adventure, but because it was rushed for Christmas, there was glitches galore and it was shamed.
    I have yet to try this game. From when I bought Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube to Sonic Generations on the PS3, the only Sonic game I got was Sonic Heroes, and that was because I had missed it so much. Now of course, Sonic Mega Collection+ on PC for £4, and research into the other Sonic games I missed, I'm considering why I missed this whole section of Sonic games.

92. deKay Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 08:34

The PC and XBLA (which was a port of the PC version) versions are horribly glitchy, yes. The original DC and the GC port based on it are much less so.

I completed it again recently. I don't think it's aged at all, aside from the graphics.

93. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 17:22

Actually, I was going by the Gamecube port which is already glitchy enough, so it's a mute point.

94. deKay Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 09:58

Moot :)

Anyway, I disagree. I completed the GC version several times and it barely glitched at all. Certainly no worse than the DC version, and many of the repeatable bugs in the DC version (mainly to do with the Chao garden and the Light Speed Dash) are gone in the GC version.

By contrast, the PC and XBLA versions (both of which I've also completed) have constant clipping issues where it's really difficult to play without falling through walls and floors, collision detection problems with baddies, and the lock-on homing attack simply failing to work some of the time. The XBLA version actually locked up my 360 twice too.

Sonic Heroes and Sonic 06 both suffer from similar issues.

95. CDS Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 10:39

You don't say.
    I was on Sonic Heroes yesterday and played through Ocean Palace. It took three attempts to get past the first loop as the two times before, Sonic and co veered right and went past the jump boost. On the second attempt they went straight through the wall on the right.
    Not to mention the fact that I uncovered a weird glitch where you can reach the height of Tails' flight so that Tails is able to walk on the ledge above, but Sonic and Knuckles are stuck inside the wall while still holding on.

96. SonicWarrior Monday 3rd Dec 2012 at 01:33

Sonic 06, however, was slated by EVERYONE. Even Sega themselves.

It's not even called Sonic Adventure, anyway.

Sonic 06 can actually be considered Sonic Adventure 3. In almost ever aspect besides name, it is basically your SA3 right there. And, seeing how bad it turned out, I'd rather stay away from anything "Adventure-esque" from Sonic for a long time. We could do so much better for the next 3D game.

97. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 23:09

As a die-hard, long time Sonic fan.......enough 2D. Sonic 4 was shallow and, while the classic stages were fun, I preferred the 3D levels in Sonic Generations. I just want Sonic Adventure 3. That's all I want (and maybe let Ian Flynn write a reboot for the games...that's stretching it, isn't it).

98. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 11:08

I just want Sonic Adventure 3. That's all I want

We've been over this... >_<

If you want that looks like it's written by Ian Flynn then stick to Sonic Chronicles. Keep the melodramatic fan-fiction out of the main games please.

99. CDS Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 14:01

Does anyone even know when this is all set to take off?
    I haven't seen anything that looks like this so far. Not even in other merchandise.

100. SonicWarrior Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 01:19

. I just want Sonic Adventure 3. That's all I want.

Dude, there are no words for how overrated the Adventure games are. And even so, they led to really bad Sonic games that people keep branding the series to be horrible with (Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006). Also, Sonic Adventure 3 isn't being made. Ever...
    Just thought I'd put that out there. But if you want to play the closest thing you will ever have to SA3, you have Sonic 06...

Does anyone even know when this is all set to take off?

There was a rumor of a new 3D Sonic game coming in Febuary. You should check it out, it's sounds pretty cash and pretty legit.

101. deKay Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 08:49

I completed Sonic Adventure 2 again last week. It's still fantastic.

102. SonicWarrior Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 04:59

I completed Sonic Adventure 2 again last week. It's still fantastic.

Ummm.... okay? That's cool, I guess...
    But I don't see SA2 as the game everyone else sees it as.

103. CDS Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 10:01

That rumour does indeed seem legit, and not long to go to see if it is true.

Recently I got Sonic Generations on the 3DS and am really liking. However, the main story missions were of medium difficulty, mainly due to the fact I kept doing an action too early or when I wasn't meant to. Especially on Radical Highway Act 2 .

On the Adventure series topic, I say that while good, and is a game that I keep coming back to-
    -Adventure 1 is absolutely uncontrollable with Big's fishing. Why they had to include it, I don't know, which is probably why all those Big references were in the second one.
    -Adventure 2 was great, but having everything on the B button meant that it would do one move when you needed another. And while the mech stages were alright, most of the faults came with them.
    While I like Adventure 2 enough to rebuy it on the X360, the first will stay only on the Gamecube for me. Generations on the PS3 however almost perfected the formula of control, but felt a bit loose.

If, for the new game, we are indeed getting different characters to play as in a 3D world over the same stages, that looseness needs to be fixed.

104. SonicWarrior Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 21:46

That rumour does indeed seem legit, and not long to go to see if it is true.

The 3DS Version is a neat little version of the actual game, but I really would have like it better if it played like the Console Versions with different levels. The 3DS has proven to be able to handle that kind of thing.

With the Adventure series, I kinda agree and disagree with you on your views. I generally favor SA1 more, because of it actually FEELING like a Sonic game (As well as having a few memorable moments and level design). But on the other hand, SA2 had some of my biggest problems with 3D Sonic, that the other games post 2008 shared. The overly dramatic plots, even WORSE multiple play styles, Shadow... , twitchy and unriliable controls and that dreaded "Long time no see!" quote.... But that being said, I can still find them more enjoyable than Sonic 2006. And yes, so far Sonic Colors and Generations are 3D Sonic at it's best, in which I hope they continue to improve his refined gameplay.

Something tells me if the multiple playable characters thing is true, they will learn from their mistakes and go the Sonic 3 and Knuckles route on a much bigger scale, other than the Sonic Adventure's route where the whole "Sonic's <deleted> Friends" thing couldn't be considered to far from the truth. But I am hyped for this game, and hope to see an announcement Saturday on the Sonic Team livestream, or sometime this month coming.

105. MartinIsAwesome Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 13:45

Do you seriously think Sonic Adventure 2 is worse that SA1? I understand if the plots aren't your thing but at least the story is entirely skippable to a point where you can select story mode and play level-after-level like the classic games did without having to do the rubbish little fetch-quests inbetween.
    And "even WORSE mulitple play styles"? I cannot accept that. I mean, Amy's slow placed platforming and Big's Fishing stages were so rubbish that they didn't reuse them for the next game, and the other play styles were tuned up and improved for the sequal.
    Also I can't believe that your hating on a game because it features the phrase "long time no see".

106. Danny Duignan Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 18:21

You know what we needs? A Sonic game that has more than one Playable character, and not new characters, I mean Sonic, Knuckles and Tails, and it'd be nice to also have Shadow, and Amy.

And mix it up a bit,

Like if you've seen on Youtube, Sonic 2 Heroes, they take the classic Sonic 1 and 2, where you can be Sonic, Knuckles and Tails at the same time, or you can just be any of the two; or just any one, how ever you want.

Don't keep giving us new stuff; give us some old stuff with updated features, the classics are always good.

107. SonicWarrior Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 14:31

Yeah I do, but if you like SA2 is better I don't have a problem with that. I just didn't enjoy it, to be honest. It felt like they were trying to make the game even less about Sonic. I don't really have anything against plots, it's just when they go a bit to far like SA2, trying to make the game filled with angst and a dark, serious story... that's just stupid to me, in a world about a blue Hedgehog and his animal friends fighting a fat egg shaped scientist who put's animals into robots. I didn't really mind the Hub's, because they were easy to get through and finding the power ups, which you would have to be braindead not to be able to do, was the closest thing to a fetch quest you would have to do.
    And yes. They took two decent concepts from SA1 and made them even worse. The Gamma stages were easy and pretty fun to play, but the Tails/Eggman levels narrow hallways with clunky robo walkers and a gimped jump/hover. The Knuckles levels in SA1 were fun to explore and the prefect size, making it less of a chore to find all the Emerald Shards. The Knuckles/Rouge levels from SA2 do the exact opposite of that and are the prime hated sections by most the people who play the game. Once, I spent 15+ minutes in Meteor Herd and even LONGER in Mad Space... Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE ENORMOUS... And not to mention that horrible rap music played in the background of the Knuckles sections. I'm sorry, but no way were either of these better than the SA1 version, in my opinion. Amy and Big didn't have that many levels, and while I did hate Big and he was f**king pointless, atleast he wasn't in it to long. Amy's stages aren't that bad, it required you to use momentum and your athletisism to make it through and escape the robot.
    And that "Long time no see" thing was more of a joke, but nonetheless it is an annoying phrase they didn't get rid of until 2008.

108. deKay Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 15:17

You know what we needs? A Sonic game that has more than one Playable character,

I'd prefer a Sonic game that *only* has Sonic.

109. SonicWarrior Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 00:26

You know what we needs? A Sonic game that has more than one Playable character,

I'd prefer a Sonic game that *only* has Sonic.

So.... Only Sonic...? No Tails? No Knuckles? No Eggman?
    Sounds pretty boring to me :P

But seriously... We've already had solo-Sonic games in the past. Time to atleast bring back Tails and Knuckles...

110. deKay Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 08:26

So.... Only Sonic...? No Tails? No Knuckles? No Eggman?
    Sounds pretty boring to me :P

Well Eggman, sure. But no Tails. No Knuckles. No anyone else.

111. CDS Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 21:58

Wait. Wait. Wait.
    Don't we want to know how Eggman escapes from the white space he and his past self were trapped in? Wouldn't it make more sense for a story without Eggman, but someone trying to free him?

112. SonicWarrior Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 04:59

So.... Only Sonic...? No Tails? No Knuckles? No Eggman?
    Sounds pretty boring to me :P

Well Eggman, sure. But no Tails. No Knuckles. No anyone else.

Seems like a waste. We've had so many games without other playable characters recently...
    At least Tails and Knuckles as optionals would be acceptable for those who do want other playable characters.

113. deKay Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 08:16

Strange people.

114. fireblade19 Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 17:38

I completely disagree, i think that the 3d sonic games like sonic generations on Xbox and sonic unleashed were some of the best sonic games ever. not forgetting secret rings and the black knight