The best Pokemon generation ever

The results are in! What is your favourite Pokemon generation?

Pokemon Black and White 2 were released last month, signing off Generation V in style. But was the fifth generation of Pokemon games the series high point so far? Or did you prefer the older games such as Gold and Silver or even Ruby and Sapphire. We asked you to name your favourite Pokemon generation in a poll a few weeks ago and we now have the results. Here we go!

5. Generation IV

Games: Pokemon Diamond, Pokemon Pearl, Pokemon Platinum

Sinnoh (Generation IV)
Sinnoh (Generation IV)
Set in the Sinnoh region, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were the first set of Pokemon games to be released on DS. Highly rated at the time thanks to the presence of online battles, these two games and Platinum were usurped by Pokemon Black and White, a fifth generation released on the same system.

You say:

"While the world was a big improvement, it didn't have any memorable moments, nothing that defined it, except maybe the birth of arguably the best Champion since the originals. It was a solid game, but little else." King Slazo

"Generation 4 was way too similar to Generation 3, but had online battles and much easier menus for battles thanks to the touchscreen." 3DSRulesO.K

"Diamond, Pearl and Platinum my first pokemon games which will for me always be the best." Redeye

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. Darkblizz Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 16:38

Shame the Johto and Kanto maps are mixed up....

2. Magmortar963 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 17:18

1. Johto
    2. Kanto
    3. Sinnoh
    4. Hoenn
    5. Unova

3. ThePokekid78 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 17:24

NOOOOO how could Gen 5 beat Gen 3?!?!

Oh well, I'm off to EV train my Milotic for the Battle TOWER in RUBY. Yeah, none of this subway rubbish!!

4. Argenthor Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 17:31

Shame the Johto and Kanto maps are mixed up....

Yeh...

5. Fishman92 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 17:34

Dudes, you've mixed the Johto and Kanto maps up. How, I have no idea.

6. mushroomchow Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 17:40

While I'd have possibly placed Gen 1 above Gen 3, I feel justice has been done by finally confirming what I've been saying for years - Gen IV is the worst of the lot. :wink:

7. TheNUKEnukeM Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 17:56

I could easily put gen 2 last and put gen 1 first and gen 3 second. There again that's just my opinion

8. CaptainSnivy Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 19:23

1. Gen V
    2. Gen IV
    3. Gen III
    4. Gen I
    5. Gen II

In my opinion each generation beats the one before, except Gen II, which somehow managed to be worse than Gen I.

9. Mew3 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 19:26

Why is everyone going on about gen 2?! I've played it and i think the newer generations are much better!

1. gen 5 (amazing graphics and gameplay)
    2. gen 3 (rayquaza!)
    3. gen 4 (my first game and dialga)
    4. gen 2
    5. gen 1

10. the_yoshimaster Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 19:46

i like them all :D

11. King Slazo Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 19:47

Crazy people galore here if you think Gen2 wasn't one of the better games. If you think one of the other gens is better, that's fine, but if you think its the worst, then honestly? You're an idiot. Sorry.

But yeah, as I said in the last topic, 99% of fans who've played all five gens will tell you 3 or 4 are the worst. That's not saying either are particularly bad, they just struggle to standup to the peaks hit by Gen2 and 5.

12. shy guy 64 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 19:48

i like them all :D

same

13. silver2010 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 21:37

I now own atleast 1 game of every gen again and from Xmas I will replay them in order (can't wait!) here's hoping memories of my 1st pokemon (squirtle in blue) or the greatness of crystal will not be ruined by going back to them after the graphics and fluidness of the more recent games.

14. Kieran Drakes Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 22:06

5 . Johto cause there is nothing special
    4 . Unova cause it should be better, i mean, after platinum, you wait and they give you a super simple design
    3 . Kanto cause it has an excuse, at the time it was a great game
    2 . Sinnoh cause it has a nice layout, just that
    1 . Hoenn cause even though I have never completed this region, it was the most challenging, designed best, and just epic

15. chance7711 Wednesday 14th Nov 2012 at 22:18

i wanna win a pokemon black and white 2 becuse i a pokemon fan since i was lil

16. blaziken411 Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 00:18

5. johto because it had the <deleted> pokemon
    4. kanto because kanto was generally boring
    3. sinnoh because it was really good and had the best elite four
    2. hoenn because it had the most awesome pokemon
    1. unova because it made the biggest evolution from the previous generation

17. CaptainSnivy Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 14:13

Wait, what? Gen II is definitely the worst generation. The entire generation is just done so shoddily. The level curve is awful, and aside from that just about everything is worse than it was in Gen I, aside from the exp bar underneath the HP one. And "99% of fans who've played all five gens will tell you III and IV are the worst?" No <deleted> way. Gen III and IV beat I and II in so many ways, it's probably about 33% instead. And how dare you compare Gen II to the brilliance that is Gen V.

18. King Slazo Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 14:48

Firstly, don't swear, if you have to resort to that in an argument you're clearly not doing well.

Secondly, the level curve is setup with the mindset of "there's a second region". While Johto being easier was a downside, that was so the curve could continue into Kanto up to Red. Certainly a better curve than your beloved Gen5 which after the main game dumps you with a 10+ level disadvantage to all the metagame trainers with 60s creatures.

Thirdly, showing the EXP curve was the tip of the iceberg to what Gen2 did. Day / Night? The introduction of Dark and Steel? Splitting the Special Stat? Making types like Bug and Ghost actually useful? Swarms? Rematches? The beginning of the metagame? Letting the player choose if they're a boy or a girl? None of those count? Don't be ridiculous.

Fourthly, you really need to get some perspective. I don't say that "99% yadda" phrase because its my personal opinion, I say it because that's the way it is. You can make arguments for Gen1, 2, 3 or 5 being the best, and that's fine. But there is no argument for Gen2 being the worst because of everything it accomplished and did for the franchise, hence why it won out. And you're more than welcome to go back to the voting topic where most people who named their worst gen had it as 3 or 4. Former because Hoenn is so devisive, latter because it didn't add much, as my quote in the article says.

And finally, "how dare I compare Gen2 to 5"? In an article about comparing the generations? Seriously dude. They both stand waaaay above the others in terms of quality, and I'm damn happy they were the top two in this, because heaven knows they deserve to be.

19. Tamzily01 Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 15:05

I don't like getting mixed up in these Gen Wars. All of them have their own highs and lows. However, I will say that Gen 1 isn't my personal favourite. Sure, it started everything off, but other than that, there wasn't much to it until the Gen 3 remakes. And please, don't get me any more involved than I already am.

20. Pyron12 Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 16:28

True for generation 4 but gen 3? No way! It made a bigger impact than generation 5 ever did. Lets see what did gen 3 introduce? OH I KNOW! Double battles, natures, abilities, the best roster of pokemon introduced, the battle frontier, the start of several great spin-offs (dungeon and ranger) and plenty more. in 3rd place? no way but I can tolerate second.

21. BIGBUTTER Thursday 15th Nov 2012 at 17:36

No matter what...Pokemon Snap was the best Pokemon game of all time