5 ways to get Metroid back on track

10 years on from Metroid Prime, John Vekinis reveals what he wants from a Wii U Metroid game...

Today is the tenth anniversary of Metroid Prime. Yes, 10 years ago, Samus shook things up by returning after eight years away in a first-person shooter. After concluding the Prime Trilogy with Corruption and attempting a a return to its roots with Metroid Other M, will Samus shake things up again for the next Metrpid game which everyone is hoping will be on Wii U. Here are five ways in which Metroid Wii U could live up to, or even beat, Prime

1. Go back to Prime-style first-person shooting

Metroid: Other M switched the action from third-person to static first-person person shooter. It was okay, but I missed the pure first person shooting experience of the Prime games. What's more, despite some of the best Metroid console games being 2D, I'd say that the 3DS would be more suited to Samus returning to her roots. I'd simply love to see a great 3D FPS in full HD on the Wii U and who better to front it than Samus Aran.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. Pyron12 Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 09:22

I agree with all of these. I still want to know what's up with the blue ship in Prime 3. :|

2. shy guy 64 Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 10:28

the title "I want metroid prime 4" would have been more accurate i think

3. triforceguy1 Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 10:48

Also, bring back the awesome atmosphere that the environments and music helped to create.
    Exploring Talon IV and The Sky Fortress was so breathtaking, and the music definitely supported this... what do you expect, I'm a VGM Junkie :P

4. mooksam22 Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 11:48

I long for another 2D sidescroller with pixel art, the works. I think the 3DS would be a perfect fit for this. Just picture the layered 3D! The music! There are so few games in this genre now - the Lords of Shadow Castlevanias have also turned their back on the style, which is a big shame.

I agree that a "Prime" fashioned Metroid would be a perfect fit for the Wii U. My first thought when the console was unveiled (apart from what the frick its that?) was that it would be a great way to use the scan visors. An HD Metroid with Retro Studios at the helm? *drools*

So, Nintendo, why not give us both? :-D

5. ThePokekid78 Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 13:34

Great list, these were all things I had thought of myself!

The ship at the end of Prime 3 has to be Sylux's ship from Hunters - Prime 4 on Wii U with Sylux as the main enemy (maybe he could be trying to resurrect Dark Samus?) would be pure bliss...

6. TheRexFactor Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 13:39

I would have to agree on the keep console Metroid 3D, keep portable traditional 2D idea. The Prime series and Fusion/Zero Mission would surely be a great proof-of-concept for that setup.

Finding out about that ship from Prime 3 would be lovely too (Prime 4?). Anything taking place after 3 couldn't feature the hunters from it though, since they're, well, dead. Wouldn't say no to some other recurring character though. Wouldn't have to around all the time, but something like a friendly SAX idea; ie you'd run into them them occasionally, but otherwise they're not too overbearing or anything. Samus is supposed to be pretty independent after all. Wouldn't want to take that away again like Other M did

7. JoeOdranDoran Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 16:55

To my horror, I discovered that my copies of Prime 1, 2 and Fusion had gone missing! So I've since forked out the dosh to buy them all again, because they're worth it. (and also Ł30 to get Super Metroid on the Snes)

Also, in terms of what the Metroid series needs in the future, why not give the people what they want, a 1st person Wii U title and a 2D sidescroller on the 3DS, released around the same time? It worked for Prime 1 and Fusion, why not again?

8. TheVelvetRoom Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 17:41

I would also say, if we have to have other characters and cutscenes, keep Samus silent like in Corruption. Nintendo have great fun with dialogue-less protagonists like Link and Mario, and I'd take that any day over the Other M Samus who took the 'mono' part of 'monologue' too seriously.

9. Broken_Angel Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 21:08

All I want is to be able to pilot Samus' gunship and I think the WiiU is perfect for this additional side to Prime's FPS gameplay:
    1. Rather than clicking an icon on the map and waiting for the cutscene, you should have actually had to get behind the controls and pilot the gunship there yourself, using the WiiU's touchpad as a terrain scanner to look for suitable landing sites. Obviously this would get tedious if you had to do it every time, so maybe include the one-click method after a landing site has been discovered and used at least once.
    2. Aerial combat/dogfighting would be cool. In the final section of Prime 3, I was a little disappointed that the ship had all of these interactive controls but during the big fleet battle, you were essentially an observer. It would have been far more epic if there had been an on-rails Lylatwars style section where you're inside the cockpit, blasting Space Pirate ships in an attempt to clear a path to Phaze. Could this work with WiiU? Maybe, maybe not...but it would still be fun.
    3. Remote piloting. This is what the gamepad is perfect for. Imagine: You're in a pretty rough firefight and need to call in your gunship for a bombing run (a la Corruption). Instead of waiting for a clear chance to scan some randomly floating icon, have the ship remote pilot to your location. You could carry on the fight on the main screen, while using the gamepad's gyros to control your ship and display to guide it until it picks up an enemy signal, at which point you touch the blip on the pad and the gunship opens up a barrage. It would be frantic and difficult, controlling the action from two viewpoints at once, but it would make gunning down Space Pirates a lot more fun and a lot more satisfying when you clear out a lot of them.
    Other than that, I'd just be happy with Retro doing another Prime game. They did pretty well on the first three, so why stop there?

10. MewtwoLegend Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 21:43

I don't really get why people always cry out "sexism" when you find a female character listening to a male character. Yet you have the likes of male protagonists like Link and Pit who listen to their female sidekicks (Navi, Midna, Fi, Zelda, Palutena, Viridi to name a few) almost all the time with nonexistent complaints from fanbases wanting them to have a "I need no women" attitude. I'm not accusing you of anything or directing this at you though. at least you said "needs no commander" instead of "needs no men". It's just this one common complaint from other M that I'm always hearing from general gamers all the time that I just find a little sexist in itself. But yeah. Just my opinion. I admittedly never played Other M so I don't know much about how this guy treated Samus as to why people dislike him so much. Then again, Palutena and Viridi (Especially Viridi) weren't much of the nicest lady's to Pit either sometimes... :/

Eitherway, Whatever the next Metroid game is. I'm sure it will be quite the experience on the new Wii U console. :)

11. IPecksU Saturday 17th Nov 2012 at 23:10

Free roaming sandbox elements! Fly Samus' ship, take side quests where you can do bounty hunting missions and whatever else they can think of reveal more about Samus' backstory and earn some space dough while you're at it. I believe they can still nail that isolation everyone loves in the main story missions where you venture onto dangerous planets and such.

12. TheVelvetRoom Sunday 18th Nov 2012 at 00:48

To elaborate on this: Samus Aran; greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy, for no adequate reason restricts her items to Adam's command, meaning she can't use them until Adam authorizes it (even though she's supposed to be independent from the Galactic Federation and left Adam's command a long time ago meaning there's no reason to do this). What this results in, is Samus not being able to use her bombs to pick up upgrades that would help her to survive, or to use her heat-resistant suit in an area where she gets hurt every few seconds because it's so hot. Adam is watching her this entire time, yet he still waits until the last possible second in a boss battle to allow her to use this stuff that could have saved her so much trouble all this time and in fact could have caused her death on numerous occasions.

The game itself seems to be so much about Samus' womanhood what with all the mother and daughter themes. It's just Samus is ridiculously weak as a person in Other M, and is willing to give all her power to a man who orders her around without even thinking how stupid this is.

13. reeesy Monday 19th Nov 2012 at 14:19

I'd like to see 3rd person perspective style Metroid game, similar to the 'over the shoulder' view in Resident Evil 4.
    It would work well for a Metroid game.