Wii U Premium Pack - Nintendo reveal how much money you will save by downloading games

You need 500 Points for an Activation code

The Wii U Premium Pack may cost more than a Basic Pack but as well as having a bigger hard drive, it will also save you money on downloading games. Now Nintendo UK has detailed how you will save money on your downloads.

If you have a Wii U Premium Pack, every time you purchase digital content (full download software and add-on content) from the Nintendo eShop, you'll collect points.

When you have collected 500 points, you will be able to exchange collected points for activation codes, which can be used to add funds in Nintendo eShop. Activation codes can be used to add funds equivalent to £5 to your Nintendo eShop balance.

You will also collect points when downloading software or add-on content using download cards purchased at retail, or using download codes purchased online.

So how many points will you get for each download? Well, you will collect 8 points for each pound spent on digital content in Nintendo eShop. The prices for downloadable games have yet to be confirmed for the Wii U eShop games in the UK.

Comments

1. skyluigi Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 17:32

So for every 62 or so you spend, you get 5 back?
    Well, I'd say, that's not excellent, but it's not bad either. Better than I was expecting, to be honest.

2. lminett Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 17:34

Would have been nice if it was a 10% off deal really, but never mind

3. Tams Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 17:35

I'm not sure I like these rewards just for downloaded content. I much prefer to have the discs and boxes.

Then again, I'm not sure whether you can get Stars for downloaded content, so it might work out OK. I still wish if you bought a game you could get both (like you can with some films and books).

4. Chewie Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 17:36

So, instead off 10% off each purchase we make, we have to spend 63 to get a fiver off? I assume I've gone wrong in my calculations somewhere, someone please tell me I'm wrong.
    Edit* Nope, other people above have got similar. Not good enough Nintendo.

Also, I suppose it's personal preference, but I'd much prefer to have 10% off each individual purchase than wait until I've gained enough points. It's an entirely unnecessary system, just give us the 10% off.

5. lui_gui Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 17:38

How could anyone think this is a good way of doing this.

6. thecoolmana777 Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 17:53

Not happy with Nintendo for doing this, why can't it just be a simple discount!
    Who wants to go through the lengthy process of collecting an activation code and then entering it to get your money off

7. ledreppe Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 17:58

I can live with having to wait until I've spent 62.50 to get 5 back, but what I wont be able to live with is higher prices for digital distributed games over boxed version. Just look at the 3DS, and the shambles Nintendo have made of the pricing for full downloadable retail games, often 10 dearer! I want to go all digital with the Wii U, but Nintendo could make it very difficult for me to do so. C'mon Nintendo pull your finger out your ar*e and do this digital platform the way it should be done.

8. Argenthor Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:12

Edit* Nope, other people above have got similar. Not good enough Nintendo.

Yes, I thought that was what had been advertised?

9. JamieRIOT Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:30

Considering in places like GAME, you have to spend 100 to gain 2.50, it really isn't bad. Feel lucky that you actually get rewarded at all for buying content from them!

10. thenintendoer Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:41

not too bad but i wont bother if they dont reduce the price of games over time nsmb2 is 40 on the eshop but elsewhere in stores its lower than 25 so i dont download these games striaght from the shop

11. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:47

Ah, Nintendo...I love you so, but you do get the simplest things wrong!

12. MJTH Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:48

Whilst the deal may sound disappointing at first, when you compare it to the xbox 360 where they've only just made a 2% deal on downloads, or PSN+ which is a great service, but in the end you're just paying for discounts on newer games, this is pretty good.

13. Riverlution Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:49

I thought they were promising 10% off everything. I don't mind having to redeem it with this silly system, but I could swear that they've lied to us.

14. Pichu10585 Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:51

Edit* Nope, other people above have got similar. Not good enough Nintendo.

The idea is so that Nintendo know that they have your custom before giving the discount. It is just a better business model, really.

And, for goodness sake, why is everyone complaining? At least they are giving you a discount at all!

15. Mr of Spain Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 18:58

Seriously! stop moaning! :evil:

Nintendo dont have to give its customers anything off. Most other companies dont. A|so, it wasn't that long ago that Decent Nintendo games used to be 40.00 in the shops. Then the high street (Game, HMV etc) started lowering the RRP. So if you want to blame anyone, blame the UK's desperate desire to compete to the point where business' are going bust as opossed to the programmers whose hard work deserves its reward...Its not like you dont have the choice to buy or download is it :evil:

16. Greene-Stuff Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 19:13

Even though we'd have to spend 60-something quid to get a fiver off, it's better than getting the basic pack and having to pay 60-something quid and get no money off, right?

17. adamatsu Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 19:38

does anyone know how much super mario bros wii u is going to cost to download? thanks

18. Kieran Drakes Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 19:53

What we have got to remember is that downloading is only for people who want the game immediately, personally i prefer the ability to open a box and take the game out and put it in my console, but i think seeing a silly download screen just annoys me, it is like teasing you, watching it go up slowly. :oops:

19. Chewie Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 20:54

Edit* Nope, other people above have got similar. Not good enough Nintendo.

We paid the extra 50 for not only for Nintendo Land (which when bought separately with a basic model is cheaper than the deluxe), but the premium discount and the extra memory required to download these games. The deluxe model is surely aimed at those who intend to use the Wii U shop? Nintendo are aware of how much our retailers are charging for their product, they are surely aware that buying Nintendo Land and the Basic model is cheaper than buying the Deluxe model. It is fair to assume therefore that, given Nintendo are an incredibly successful business, are aware that a large percentage of those who buy the deluxe model will be paying extra for the online benefits, and would assume you are going spend money on the Wii U shop.

But all that is irrelevant, when considered that if someone doesn't use the 10% discount at all, neither the developers or Nintendo are impacted by the discount, giving them no reason (that we're aware of) to not have the 10% off. We're complaining because we were told we were getting a 10% discount, and instead we get a point system that requires us to spend 63 before we save anything at all. What if I was only interested in Trine 2? No discount.

20. Mmmyeah Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 21:04

Seriously! stop moaning! :evil:

Actually they do have to give money off when they have promised that that is what you will get when you buy the premium package. Put it this way, Nintendo told us that if we buy the premium package part of the deal is a rewards system. It wouldn't be fair for them to then take that back. People are annoyed because they expected something better, particularly if they have preordered expecting 10% off.

Personally though I'm not fussed! I would have got the premium package for the extra memory and zombiu among the other bonuses anyway, without the money back. I must admit the deal isn't quite as good as I hoped, but its still nice. I can see myself in the future having downloaded loads of stuff and being pleasantly surprised to find that Nintendo are giving me a bit of money back to buy more games with!

21. awesomejimmie Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 21:51

Seriously! stop moaning! :evil:

They have never promised the UK market 10% off, they promised it to the US, and the US have the exact same system as we will have, when you spend $50 you get $5 back, now with conversion rates it makes our offer about the same, so be glad where getting it! Unlike the TVii service which we don't get :(

22. Lew3107 Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 21:58

Some of you people are insatiable. Seriously.
    You're getting a discount. Where's the negative? I've been buying downloadable games on 360 for years with no sort of incentive. Now, we're getting a 5 discount for pretty much every 4/5 games you buy. I don't understand the moaning. I was going to buy indie games anyway, discount or not. This is just a bonus. We're not entitled to a discount, so I have no clue why so many people here are acting like we're having our human rights breached. They never fully explained the reward system, so thinking that you got 10% off of every purchase was just your assumption.
    There's nothing wrong with this system, I'm just grateful that we're getting something.

23. sambrown64 Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 22:19

This is the first Nintendo console that I'm not interested in. Although I really want NSMB U, I think I'll hold off until the game line-up has more to offer; ideally the next 3D Mario/Galaxy 3.

24. K-tet Tuesday 20th Nov 2012 at 23:50

From a business sense, it's an interesting incentive. You get 8 points for each 1 you spend. Do the maths here, if I spend 50 on a game via eShop, I get 8 x 50 = 400 points. So that's 62.50 for 500 points, and a fiver off. It's not exactly 10% (as that would be 6.25), but you know something, 8% it's actually not that bad of a deal. Basic mathematics can really help you out here.

In any sense, spend big to get money off early, or spend incrementally to accumulate the points in the long-term. In any case, you can do this as many times as you want up until the end of 2014. The fact that if you buy a 50 game, you're getting 80% of the total amount of redeemable points right off of the mark isn't a good enough incentive to give it a go, then I don't know what is.

However, digital downloads will be too expensive to warrant people parting with their money, and until the NN accounts work similar to how Steam etc work, I'd feel rather anxious over investing so much cash into a system where my purchases evaporate if my Wii U breaks and it gets lost in the post on the way to Nintendo for repair or so. Nintendo may well work this system better in the future, but for now, it's a risk thinking about it from that perspective.

Nintendo need to get this right in the end, otherwise it's not worth doing. Yes we're all critical of Nintendo, but for very good reasons. We want them to succeed, and the only way to do so is for them to set their standards to as close to perfection as possible.

25. CraigEmberson Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 00:45

Edit* Nope, other people above have got similar. Not good enough Nintendo.

Basically, if you download a game thats 39.99 - you get 8 points per 1, which equals over 300 points. Download 2 titles of that price and you'll have over 600 points.

26. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 08:28

I think 5 for - 63 is it? - 5 off for 63 spent on eShop sounds fine. Consider a time when all current Wii Shop Virtual Console games become available on Wii U eShop. I've calculated that you'd only need to spend 40 on the Wii U eShop to get a free NES game (with a few pence change). 70 gets you a FREE SNES or MegaDrive game. I repeat, if you spend 70 and you can get epic games like Super Metroid, Super Mario World, or Zelda: A Link to the Past... FOR FREE!! Where else can you get a deal like that?

Also...

Some of you people are insatiable. Seriously.

...I agree with this sentiment entirely.

27. Chewie Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 10:36

I love the split opinions, there's no middle ground! I'm annoyed because we were promised a discount, and we're getting a point system. We were promised a discount. We shouldn't be grateful we're getting a discount at all, we were promised something and we paid extra for it. Nintendo haven't delivered, what they're giving us isn't a discount, it's just another point system which requires us to spend a hell of a lot before we feel any effect.

I agree that if I were to buy 2 fully priced titles like NSMBU, I'd have my 5 off in no time. However, I can't see the logic in paying for the full download. Very rarely, the price will match those in-store, and otherwise will be more expensive. Why would I pay more to fill what is already a pretty limited hard drive?

28. sciqueen Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 11:06

Save money in the short-term, lose physical copies in the long-term. I'm sticking with shop-bought games so that gaming companies don't end up with free rein to charge whatever they want.

29. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 11:28

It isn't bad,considering you have to spend 500 at Tesco to get your fiver back in Clubcard vouchers,so well done Nintendo.

30. Nickario Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 12:34

So spend over 60 quid and get 5 pounds back. Ok but if they use the same pricing system on WiiU download full games as they did on 3DS you'd save 5 pounds buying a new game each time from the shops anyway...

Things like this makes me wary of an all-digital future. Publishers can hold the consumer to ransom basically by setting the price they want despite their argument that digital distribution is cheaper yet charging more than the boxed versions...

31. CaptainSnivy Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 13:34

Uh...yay? So I have to spend 62 to get just a 5 discount? I probably won't even spend that much! So, let's say that they'll put Game Cube games on the Virtual Console, and they are, say, 15. If I buy approximately four Game Cube games, I only get enough money to buy one NES game? I'm still gonna get the Premium Pack as at least you do get some money back, but I still would have preferred a straight 10% discount. Heck, I wouldn't care if it was just a 5% discount - I want a discount, not a cruddy points system.

*Sigh* It seems that after the 3DS price fiasco, there having more money-related disasters related to discounts and point systems.

32. Luigi Mini Wednesday 21st Nov 2012 at 17:37

:?: Who won the Premium Wii U in Nintendo magazine issue 88?