Wii U UK midnight launch at HMV - arrive early to get two free Wii U games

First 100 people in the queue get New Super Mario Bros U for free

Nintendo have just announced details for the big Wii U midnight launch next week. The event will be held at HMV's flagship store in London's Oxford street and Nintendo will be rewarding fans who get there early with a copy of New Super Mario Bros U and another Wii U game of your choice

Doors open at 11.00 pm on Thursday 29 November but you should get there early as the first 100 people in the queue will get a free copy of the Mario launch game and another Wii U game of their choice from a selection that will be offered.

The next 100 people in the queue will also get a £5 gift voucher that will only be valid against Wii U hardware and software on the night. So don't go trying to spend it on the new Rod Stewart Christmas album.

That's not all - the first 500 people in the queue will receive a Wii U goody bag and there will also be opportunities to win Wii U related prizes during the evening.

Fans can also look forward to Ubisoft and Nintendo demonstrating ZombiU, Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U during the build up to midnight and you'll be able to play a number of Wii U games during the evening.

We're also told that HMV have channeled extra stock into its flagship store so if you haven't pre-ordered yet, you will be able to purchase a Wii U on the night.

Are you going to go to the Wii U midnight launch at HMV Oxford Street? We'll see you there!

Comments

1. RainbowGazelle Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 10:23

Interesting that you can get a $5 voucher, despite being in England...

2. barrybarryk Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 10:34

First 100 people get 2 free games? That's really cool.

3. redeye Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 10:38

Get for London, but nowhere else. As far as I know the world seems to stop there and the South West is a different country.

4. LavaTwilight Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 10:45

I'm also in the south west and i'm peed off that we don't get anything like that at all! Damnit! :evil:

5. Kaney Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 11:26

Never mind the south west, try the north east... I was surprised we're even getting WiiU Experience Tour.

6. imbusydoctorwho Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 11:50

It would be nice if HMV did this in all the stores that are opening at midnight,like the first 10 or 20 get a free Wii U game in the smaller stores,and the first 50 or 100 in bigger stores.

7. nintenu Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 13:06

It's good for the first 100 people, 2 free games! ...but for the 101 person ...well ...you would be pretty p**sed if it was you. I really don't understand these midnight launches?? It's not like you’re going to be the first in the UK to get a Wii U or anything like that…

8. Russell75 Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 14:06

I live in london normally T__T

Why must this happen when I'm at uni???

9. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 14:54

i have my ordered with hmv , the only problem it's in northern ireland which doesn't exist , we get nothing ever

10. C00LI098 Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 15:51

What the ****.

The people who can attend this are so bloody lucky.

11. Tams Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:01

The cost of the train ticket down is more than two games are worth. :roll: Not that I mind, as I have exams and am holding out for a white Premium version (as well as, hopefully one with more than 32GB of storage).

12. AiDeNintendude Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:03

But we do get pasties and cider :wink:

13. Argenthor Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:07

Hype + Excitement + Atmosphere + Nintendo... + Gifts :)

14. Ben Lord Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:40

While I'm sure all the Londonites are thrilled, how have HMV managed to "channel extra stock" into the capital when they can't fulfil pre-orders for anyone who ordered after 2nd November on Launch Day (according to their own website)? What is the point of pre-ordering and parting with your hard earned cash when they pull stunts like this?

Also, what about the 87% of the UK that don't live in London?

Grrrr! :evil:

15. Blue blur Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 18:52

Is this just for those buying the console? If it's not, I might queue up to buy a game and then get the free gifts.

16. sciqueen Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 22:12

Aren't Londoners rich enough to BUY the free games? There's no recession down South, after all.

17. blaziken411 Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 23:57

what do nintendo have against students all the best stuff happens on school days :(

18. jaco_p Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 00:39

I'm confused....been on the hmv site and they say they haven't got enough wiius, and i haven't pre-ordered. So if i turn up on the day and miraculously find myself in the first 100 will i be able to get a wii u? I live in essex and don't want to make the journey just on the off chance

19. ChandraONM Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 10:01

So, just to answer a few questions. . .

Nintendo is using this as it's official midnight launch. This will always take place in London because a) it's the capital city, b) it's on Oxford Street and all the Xmas lights are up so it'll look great and c) because the country's press are 5 minutes away.

HMV may well have sold out of Wii U but this is Nintendo's own event, being hosted by HMV, so obviously Nintendo have always had an allocation put aside for their midnight launch, whatever that ended up being.

Nintendo could never afford to give away free games to hundreds upon hundreds of people.
    It's amazing that Nintendo is doing this at all.

It's unfortunate if you don't live in or near London, or if you can't get there for some reason, but we've been pretty lucky to have the Wii U tour doing the rounds.
    If you can't get there joi in on Twitter or online as the ONM team will be tweeting about it live all night long.

20. Wii U Gamer Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 10:07

ONM awsome :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: but i am at chrismas so no free stuff :evil: :( :( :cry: :cry: oh wait at christmas i will get free wont i?

21. 1singie Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 20:03

true dat! they won't even give me there final bundle price at the HMV in abby centre!!

22. Kirby8 Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 21:46

I live in london normally T__T

Why must this happen when I'm at uni???

Same here. I think I'm going to miss a couple of lectures and catch up later so I can go. I'm going to head over to HMV tomorrow and ask how it's all working to make sure I definitely worth coming and trying my luck in getting two free games. Save a heap of money!

23. KairiZero Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 07:14

What an awesome offer! Its a shame I've already got mine ordered elsewhere, otherwise I would make 80-odd mile trip down there!

24. Buzzthebatgirl Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 20:38

I spoke to the staff in store today and they stated you MUST BUY THE CONSOLE on the night in order to get the free game. I'll get the popcorn and enjoy the drama.

25. PompeyPirate Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 22:02

Bit miffed about the whole '2 free games' thing but I've pre-ordered my black WiiU plus ZombiU from HMV so as long as I get it delivered as soon as possible on Friday I'll be happy.

26. madlink Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 23:33

A lot of people are complaining about Nintendo's launch gig at hmv, I live in Wales, we don't even get the tour. I had to go to Bristol for the one they did for 3DS. :twisted:

27. 5OUNDWAVE Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 03:27

i doubt the hmv in abbey centre will open at mid-night it's tiny from what i remember , i ordered mine from the 1 in the town , i don't know if there opening at mid-night , they did for fifa and cod so who know's , i'll be lit if i have to wait till friday morning ?

28. Chernabog Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 12:32

Does anyone know if both bundles will still be available? I'm probably gonna go along but if there aren't any 32GB models left then I may leave it.