Smash Bros Wii U: 12 characters who should be in the game

You've had your say. Now it's our turn!

A few months ago you told us which new characters should be in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS. Now it's our turn. Yes, team ONM put their heads together and came up with a list of 12 characters who should be in the new games when they're released.

It seems we agree with the ONM forum on a few choices but we believe we've got some great ones of our own. We've also chosen a Final Smash for each. Read on and see if you agree.

Professor Layton

The prof is an obvious choice: he's armed with pencils, dice and matchsticks and can hide all manner of unpleasantness under his hat. Imagine the taunts. "If my logic is correct, my fist is going into your face."

Final Smash

Throws a scalding hot cuppa at his foes, sending them, horribly scalded, into space.

Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11 12 Next page

Comments

1. epiclink Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 16:34

I love the idea of prof Layton with the hot cuppa

2. Herbert_Rarr Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 16:36

Dillon!

3. skyluigi Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 16:42

I don't think I'd like Geno to return, but Professor Layton and Waluigi deserve a place.

4. NeonJ Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 16:49

Personally, I think Megaman's Final Smash should be the Black Hole Bomb , but that's just my opinion. :P Charging a Buster Shot should just be the Neutral-B, and nowhere near as powerful.

Also, I love how the images on Geno and Megaman's pages are messed up :P

5. shy guy 64 Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 16:49

as all ways you have some "not gonna happen" choices

little mac and sukapon arent out of the question but as far as i can tell balloon fighter and takamaru are the most popular choices for retro characters

bowser jr is the most popular choice for new mario character (along with toad) and k.rool is also quite a popular choice but hes got to compete with dixie who was almost in brawl

pac man and mega man are very popular 3rd party choices (though id prefer pac man not to be in it)

6. smashbros-kid Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 16:50

I agree with most of them. Layton, Little Mac and King K Rool would be awesome. Pac-Man would be cool but he'd need to be done properly. Mega Man, while I'd hardly say I'm a fan, would fit in Smash perfectly. I'd much rather have Ryu from Capcom but I'm sure more people would be happy with the Blue Bomber.
    Can't say I want Waluigi. I just don't see him as a big enough character to justify a slot. If the roster is smaller this time round I definitely think there are bigger names. I'm not quite as hostile to Bowser Jnr. as he's a little more unique in my opinion, especially if they give him paintbrush moves from sunshine. However he'd need to be unique. Not some faster, weaker Bowser. Come to think of it I'd love to see how he'd look. Bowser looks amazing in Smash and a Bowser Jnr. With that design would be incredible.
    As for the rest, Geno would be awesome but we all know the rumours from brawl. Some say he was considered and there is a Mario RPG track hidden away on the disc. Travis and Jack aren't anywhere near big enough to be in Smash. Between them they've had 3 games? I can't say I've played them. Mr Driller makes sense but I think Pac-Man is far bigger for Namco and they should only have one character per 3rd party (that means no tails, knuckles or shadow nonsense sonic fans!)

7. Latte Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:27

Why does Golden Sun always get left out of these...

8. Wii U Gamer Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:35

cool 8) 8) 8) but cooler to play 8) 8) 8) :!: :!:

9. LavaTwilight Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:36

I think PacMan is a must and I'd be so incredibly layton'ed if he was to have been left out the roster! I'd also love to see King K Rool and Ghirahim from Skyward Sword. Also how about having Tabuu (main villain from Subspace Emisary) as a playable character? If not him then what about Generic-Looking Action Figure if he's a new IP? Come on, he just screams Smash Bros haha 8)

10. Xenobladeperson Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:50

How many of these lists are you going to make?

11. MarioBlox Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 17:57

Good list ONM but I highly doubt Sukapon and Jack from Madworld will be in it. However, I would love mega-man and Pac-man in as they would fit in perfectly!

12. carnivine chaos Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 18:06

Final Smashes? Good one.
    And no, Layton shouldn't be in the next Smash Bros.; not to sound harsh or anything, but, it just seems like he wouldn't fit. Doesn't seem like the fighting type and I wouldn't exactly say he's a true Nintendo character like Falcon or something.

13. LavaTwilight Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 18:07

How many of these lists are you going to make?

Probably several more when the game is nearing completion, trailer-teased, secrets leaked, etc etc

14. yoshimad Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 18:35

There's only one character who can make the series even better...

AMATERASU!!! :D

15. PeterR Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 18:56

yoshimad's got the right idea, id love to see Ammy there

16. Darkblizz Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 19:26

Surely Mega Man's final smash should be his Hyper Mega Man transformation from Marvel vs Capcom?

Or combining with Rush and flying around shooting things like Diddy Kong with his jetpack?

17. MysteryVictini Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 19:56

Oh god, not this again.

They're all fine, except Layton - as awesome as he is, you're totally missing the point of his character. He's an actual pacifist and uses brains over brawn, and not to mention, he's a polite British gentleman who enjoys a cup of tea. Does he sound like the kind of guy who'll fit in a fighting game to you? Let's face it, he's not a fighter guy. He's an intellectual guy. As totally epic as it would be if he really did get into the roster, it would just be a big OOC moment for him.

18. the_yoshimaster Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 20:08

some nice choices

19. DynamicPunch202 Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 20:44

Any new characters that are in the new smash bros are probably going to be modern characters from games released at a similar time. With that in mind, I highly doubt that Geno or Little Mac are going to be in it. And I really can't imagine Layton being in it, he would just look completely out of place. What we need is some more modern characters that has fighting potential, so I think Mega man would be ok. But don't get your hopes up on most of these characters.

20. phil2512 Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 21:42

How many of these articles has there about who should, and should not be in the next smash bros game?

21. fisher2007 Friday 23rd Nov 2012 at 22:19

disgaea characters would be good in it like Laharl,Etna,flonne,Vyers

Vyers really is

spolier warning

King Krichevskoy laharl's father

22. Hams96 Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 04:02

No. No Pac-Man. Absolutely not. I wouldn't mind Bowser Jr, Mega Man and Waluigi as playable characters, the rest won't make it further than Assist Trophies at most. But no Pac-Man.

23. Pyron12 Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 09:53

I remember the letter to ONM about how Layton and Luke should've been in Brawl and how they could've worked like the Ice climbers *sigh*

24. GloverMist Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 12:07

There's only one character who can make the series even better...

AMATERASU!!! :D

Oh God YES! Why didn't I think of that?!
    By the way, I've got a feeling that the Pac-Man idea may have been influenced by me. Or maybe not. :wink:

25. callum2003 Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 12:36

I Think I Saw Somewhere That It Was Leaked That Little Mac + King Hippo Were Going To Be In SSB4

26. cheatmaster30 Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 12:52

K Rool's definitely a great character choice, as is Little Mac and most of the others listed.

27. shy guy 64 Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 13:46

probably wasnt real

28. MattyD Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 15:08

The only character I'd want from this list is Layton. What's with all the non Nintendo characters? Pac Man? seriously?

29. callum2003 Saturday 24th Nov 2012 at 21:36

probably wasnt real

Yep. Probably

30. TheMasterSword12 Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 08:29

This is off topic but how can I delete my profile

31. MartinIsAwesome Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 11:41

Of this this, my favourites are Travis Touchdown and Mega Man. Personally, I think Travis's Final Smash would be much better if it were his giant robot, Glastonbury, or perhaps he could ride in on his bike, the Schpeltiger.
    Mega Man has so many different possibilities for his special moves based on the various powers he acquires from the Robot Masters. However, with him constantly changing colour there'd be an issue with his alt colour schemes. I suppose one way around it would be that his alt colours would be representative of the powers in his Special Moveset, and that depending on the colour you choose pre-match it'd change the move assigned to the standard special. For example, his standard colour would be blue and cyan and his moveset could be: standard special = Mega Buster (with charging ability), up special = Air Shooter (Air Man), side special = Quick Boomerang (Quick Man), down special = Lead Bubble (Bubble Man). Therefore his alt costumes would be Blue/White (for Air Shooter), Pink/Pastel Pink (for Quick Man), and Grey/White (for Bubble Man). In theory, that'd mean if you were to select the Pink/Pastel Pink alt colour, the standard special would switch to Quick Boomerang, with Mega Buster being the side special. Complicated, yes, but I don't know how else it'd work. Hopefully there coulod also be alt character models instead of just alt colours. Then you could have the alt cosutmes as alternate versions of Mega Man like Mega Man X, Mega Man Volnutt and MegaMan.EXE.

32. Lew3107 Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 12:25

With Bowser Jr., King K Rool, Waluigi and Geno, do you know what the perfect title for this game would be?
    Mario Kart 8.
    I don't think anymore Mario/DK/Yoshi/Wario characters should be added; there are already 8. Nintendo has a vast array of franchises that could provide some great new characters to the series. They don't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel of the Mario games to find new additions.
    And to echo previous posts, why do you make these so much? Can't you decide on a fixed roster for one article? If you don't have much new things to talk about, I'd personally enjoy some of your ideas on how older Nintendo franchises would work on the Wii U or the 3DS.

33. koopa_kicker Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 13:46

If you've played Pandora's box to the end, you should know Layton is pretty good with a sword as well.

34. MewtwoLegend Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 15:06

Oh god, not this again.

First of all.Their toys in the Super Smash Bros universe. Not the actual characters. Secondly, Smash Bros is pretty much a pacifistic franchise anyway. I mean you basically try to push you're opponents off the stage instead of actually beating them until they faint (Though there is an option for that in the name of Stamina) and in the results screen you see them all clapping for the winner showing that it was all in good fun instead of a serious fight.

So I honestly don't get this arguement I hear against Layton all the time. Plus I'd argue that the likes of Olimar, Peach and Captain Falcon are pacifists too since they don't really fight either unless when it's really necessary. Just like Layton.

35. shy guy 64 Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 15:37

captain falcon is a bounty hunter so im fairly certain hes not a pacifist and peach and olimar have been seen beating up enemies before smash

36. smash-brother Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 17:35

How many of these lists are you going to make?

not anoth :lol:

37. smash-brother Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 17:56

I'd ask for:
    .Mona (warioware) final smash: she would call up her elephant,tiger and monkey freinds to cause mass caous
    .Dillon(dillion's rolling westion) final smash: creates towers which shoot at enimes
    .Mii (various) fnial smash: can be chosen from a number of dererent smashs in the opinions menu whith more to get via spotpass/internet updates
    .sora/riku (kingdom hearts) final smash: sora: summons a giant meow wow and smashs down on the stage riku: gains wings and extra power

38. smash-brother Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 18:02

nice idea but, it will be to confusing for players who never played "mega man" and it would be wouth not bothering, did Mario chage couler wenether he shoots a fire-ball?

39. captaincocolink Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 20:39

SAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or isa one of the two because sin and punsishment 2 came out between brawl and ssb4

40. culktishsips Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 21:24

Paper Mario should be added to the roster.

41. MewtwoLegend Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 23:14

Uh yes. So? I didn't say they never fought at all. I said their in the same boat as Layton.

Peach doesn't fight much since she usually relies on Mario and Luigi to come to her aid. Only when the enemy seems too strong for even the Mario Bros to handle alone she will come to their aid and help.

I highly doubt Olimar does much fighting at all at Hocotate Freight. He does so when he's been send to the Distant Planet alongside his Pikmin, mostly relying on them instead of his own strength since (because his punches are pretty weak) else he wouldn't be able to survive there.

With Captain Falcon it was more of a guess since I'm not that familiar with the F-Zero franchise.

But with Peach and Olimar I stand corrected. They only fight when they need to as well. Just like Layton. So my point still stands.

The only thing holding him back is the fact he's technically a third party character.

42. Waldy565 Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 23:24

nice to see you kept to most of the characters present in ONM 48... :P

43. Waldy565 Sunday 25th Nov 2012 at 23:43

Seriously though, Layton = BIG YES, maybe Pheonix from the ace attorney games too? 3rd party support is their, we know, so maybe... Pacman is interesting and not necessarily that obsecure, as Namco are working on the game, so it could happen :) Little Mac, most recent outing was way back when the, what was essentially a re-release, of Punch-Out! came to Wii, so it would be nice to see him, and as you guys said, he's a boxer! Finally, WAILUIGI NEEDS MORE FAME! Nuff said

44. shy guy 64 Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 10:33

no but you where calling them pacifists witch is pretty mutch the same thing

45. MartinIsAwesome Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 23:44

Very good point!

46. Spyrolad Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 09:41

Shulk and Simon Belmont

47. haaroon fama123 Friday 17th May 2013 at 18:03

pacman wooooooooooooh :mrgreen: 8)