The Wii U queue has started in London

Nintendo fans are already camping outside HMV

Wii U isn't released until Friday but hardcore Nintendo fans have already started queuing to buy the console outside HMV in London's Oxford Street. Izzy Rahman has been camping with friends Sing Duong, Michael Djuma and Teddy Djuma outside HMV since Saturday night in order to become the first person in the UK to buy a Wii U.

The Wii U launches with a special midnight opening event at HMV and although the first 100 people in the queue will all receive a copy of New Super Mario Bros U and a Wii U goody bag, the friends told us that they wanted to show their appreciation for Nintendo.

Sing, Teddy, Michael and Izzy (l-r) in their tent. They do have two tents!
Sing, Teddy, Michael and Izzy (l-r) in their tent. They do have two tents!
Asked why he decided to queue for six days to buy a Wii U, Izzy said: "One word. Nintendo. Nintendo has to be the godfather of games and as soon as we heard about the event we knew we had to be here. It is brilliant to be first and to show our appreciation for Nintendo. They just keep pushing boundaries. The other consoles always copy them. They've got the most iconic games and characters and Wii U is going to usher in a whole new era of gaming."

Izzy, who has travelled from Luton to be the first in the queue, told ONM what the experience of camping in central London has been like so far. "We arrived at around 11 am on Saturday morning, talked to the manager and then bought a tent."

Sing, who has taken a week off work to be at the front of the queue, added: "It's surprisingly awesome. The tent is surviving the weather. It's warm inside and we've been having fun playing Mario Kart."

This isn't the first time they have queued up for a console launch but it is the first time they have been number one in the queue having been beaten to the front by Marwan Elgamal for the Wii and 3DS launch. Izzy said: "I was right behind Marwan for Wii in 2006 and Sing was for 3DS but this time we are number one. Something like this only happens every five to six years. It's worth it"

But how did they decide who will be the first person to pick up the Wii U in the early hours of Friday morning? Simple. Izzy said: "We decided via a deadly game of Mario Kart which I won."

Izzy and Sing playing Mario Kart
Izzy and Sing playing Mario Kart
Are you going to the Wii U midnight launch on Thursday night? We'll see you there!

Comments

1. ShinKagato Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 14:28

Im actually kind of sad that im not going to a midnight launch, i decided (for the first time ever) to get my machine delivered from shopto...but now im wishing i hadnt and pre-ordered from Game in Glasgow like i did for the original Wii. Ah well....

2. laughingjumpman Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 14:31

It'll all be fun and games in there until the batteries on those 3DSs run out, and left with no way to charge them, god knows what they'll resort to.

3. vix_chan Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 15:58

It's nice that there doing it in a group of 4.
    At least 1 or 2 can go and venture for food whilst the others wait with there stuff.
    And i am sure that HMV will let them use there power points from time to time to charge there 3DSs.

I also wonder how many people gave them there spair change?

4. Docas11 Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 17:11

these guy are LEDGE!!! gona see them in a sec. pity i could not take the time of work. but based on missing the other 2 times. being 1st now is what makes it funnier.

5. Docas11 Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 17:13

Ledge!!

6. RainbowGazelle Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 17:17

If they're prepared to sit outside in a tent for a week, then they deserve to be first. :) As for going there myself, I would if other parts of the UK got to join in, but as usual it's just for the Londoners.

7. ThePokekid78 Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 17:39

That picture reminds me of the tent from Harry potter and the Goblet of Fire....

8. jaco_p Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 18:17

It's nice that there doing it in a group of 4.

I also wonder how many people gave them there spair change?

Please, learn the difference between there, their, and they're!!!

Not decided whether i'm going to the launch or not. I'll drive past on way back from work thurs morn, and if the queue is too big then i won't bother :-(

9. Mr Roboto Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 19:30

Those people should get a life!

I hope the police tell them to go away!

10. CraigEmberson Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 21:00

I'm gonna be so annoyed if there is a lack of stock in January - it's the only time I'll be able to get one. I'm not waiting until February, like with Wii or I'll be angry.

11. spud111 Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 21:28

And they'll all regret it once the next Microsoft/ Sony console comes out, like I do with my 3DS when I see a PS vita advert

12. me4ndubz Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 22:30

I pre-ordered my wii u and then I got a letter saying it will be shipped on friday, meaning I won't get it on launch day! :(

13. MartinIsAwesome Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 23:01

Bravo, lads. Bravo.

14. 5OUNDWAVE Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 23:07

trust me man ur not missing out on much i have a vita and all i use it for is an ipod

15. Birdy1994 Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 23:24

You are insane, I love my Vita. Rayman Origins is better than the 3DS, Lumines, Persona, Gravity Rush, Sound Shapes etc.

16. 5OUNDWAVE Monday 26th Nov 2012 at 23:40

The 3DS is cool too but other than Nintendo games there are not a lot of brilliant titles don't get me wrong it's a weapon and i loved uncharted but the rest u can get on the ps3

17. Birdy1994 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 01:52

Fair enough but I don't have a TV at uni so my ps3, Wii and soon Wii U are at home and I have to rely on portable gaming for my fix in the week

18. 5OUNDWAVE Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 02:10

well since u put it like that , fairplay

19. submission75 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 18:23

those 3ds batteries don't last that long.

20. kevws77 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:34

Bravo, lads. Bravo.

Here Here!! Although you may not be allowed in as you could be quite smelly by then :lol:

21. mattzere Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 15:04

anyone have any idea how big the queue is by now?