Wii Mini officially announced, first pictures of Nintendo's new console

Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada next month

Nintendo Canada have officially announced that Wii Mini will be available in the country from 7 December.

The new Wii Mini is a small version of the Wii console but it doesn't feature GameCube compatability, nordoes it have any internet capabilities. So Nintendo fans in Canada won't be able to play Mario Kart Wii online on the Wii Mini or download any games from the Wii Shopping Channel. However, at $99.99, it is a budget version of the Wii.

The Wii Mini has a matte black and red-trimmed design, is slimmer than the original Wii and, according to reports, is just longer than a Wii Remote. It will also come with a red Nunchuk and a red Wii Remote with MotionPlus built in. It is also top-loading so you won't slot your games into a drive on the front of the machine as you would with a Wii.

"There are games in the Wii library for every type of player," said Ron Bertram, Nintendo of Canada's vice president and general manager. "Wii Mini is a great gift for

the holidays that brings everyone in the family together to play. Wii Mini has a mini price, but it's all about big fun."

As for whether it will be released in the UK, Nintendo's press release states: "Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada during the holiday season. No information is available about its potential availability in other territories in the future."

Do you like the look of the Wii Mini?

Comments

1. toffeeman30 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 13:59

cant play gamecube games on it...

2. Darkblizz Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:01

I actually kind of want one....

Also wouldn't say no to a Gamecube mini, but the odds of that happening are non-existant.

3. King Slazo Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:10

No wifi, no backwards compatibility, Canada only.

...who thought this was a finanically viable idea again?

4. Tams Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:12

The new Wiis don't have GameCube support anyway, so an even smaller one not having it is no real surprise.

Shame about the lack of online. Not that we'll be getting it any time soon, if at all.

5. nintenu Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:27

Looks nice, it's a little weird that it's just Canada?? ...hopefully it will be released in the US or UK stores later this year or earlier next year...I want one!

6. Emperix Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:30

It looks pretty neat, but practically pointless buying one.

I can only imagine that anyone who wanted a Wii has already got one, and if anyone were to get one for the first time, the original model is even more affordable nowadays, especially with the Wii U out.

Realistically, this is nothing more than a collector's item.

7. K-tet Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:33

I feel that this is pointless, especially now with the Wii U out. It's a year far too late, but seeing as it'll only be available in Canada so far, I'll just say damage limitation. Not having built-in wireless hurts it from a practical standpoint. Lack of GameCube support doesn't bother me in the slightest. The new Wii's don't have that support, so it's negligible.

Aesthetically however, I quite like it. It looks sleek and modern and is (to me at least) pleasing on the eye. I might be one of a very select few that actually likes how it looks. Shame I wouldn't fork out $100CA for a paperweight (albeit a somewhat usable one). =')

8. benandarchie Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:35

Great, this will just make consumers even more confused about the Wii U.

9. kevws77 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 14:56

I love that fact that it's a kind of Famicom Red colour and would love this to come out in the UK. Very cool indeed.

10. DR_SALVADOR Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 15:07

i actually like the red and black colour scheme it has much better than just all black. And the fact there is no internet connectivity wouldnt bother me since apart from Brawl there was never any games that made me want to play them online

11. barrybarryk Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 15:13

I think it looks fantastic, probably the best looking Wii system to be released. No networking is a bit rubbish, but online games were never the Wiis strong suit to begin with and those servers will probably start getting shut down fairly soon anyway.

If it gets a UK release and isn't too steep I'll pick one up, mainly for the new remote plus set for the Wii U but having a spare Wii might come in handy. Especially when it looks that awesome.

12. shy guy 64 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 15:23

fair doos i suppose

13. ZodiacXYZ Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 15:32

Great, this will just make consumers even more confused about the Wii U.

Precisely what I was thinking. A lot of confused Canadian grandmothers and aunts looking for "that new wii thing my little one wants" are about to disappoint some family members.

Realistically, this is nothing more than a collector's item.

Much in the same vein as the GB Micro I feel.

So, more? Or less pointless than the Nintendo Wii Family Edition?

14. shadowlugia101 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 15:49

WHY!? they're releasing the wii u which is suppossed to take over from the wii, and then they make this! and with no internet capabilities i honestly cannot see a single person buying this. this is going to make nintendo lose way too much money. i wouldn't be too suprised if they went bust from a move like this.

15. lminett Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 15:51

Nintendo have done this before when they launch new consoles, when the SNES came out they releases the NES 2 which was similar looking the SNES. Just trying to make sure that people are buying Nintendo consoles this holiday.

16. Cribster Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 16:10

Looks frickin' cheap.

Nahhhh Nintendo it's not aprils fools time

17. CDS Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 16:10

Remember, Sony did the same thing with the PSP.
    The PSPGo went fairly quickly as it was online only. Near to the PSVita release, they release the E-1000 PSP's with no internet support and the whole of the back of the console opened up.
    My Wii is only used for Gamecube support, it seems, these days. So one of these doesn't interest me if it was UK release.

And as for the confusion, is Canada even getting the WiiU the same time as the rest of America?

18. PeterR Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 16:22

thats cute. would never be able to justify getting one but it would be a cool little thing to own. i imagine those will be quite rare some day.

19. Gapa Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 16:42

It's basically the student version of a Wii :P

20. mushroomchow Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 16:50

This is a good idea for those families who might want to replace a faulty Wii but aren't ready to make the step-up to Wii U, or those who don't know any better. ( :wink: )

Think about it, a new game in Canadianadana is pushing $70 nowadays. You can get this baby for $99. It's absolutely dirt cheap, and Wii games will be too, with the Wii U's release - I bet you can get a copy of Wii Sports Resort for under $20 in Canada now.

For frugal family gamers, this is a great idea. For hardcore gamers, or online-savvy folk, no chance.

Frankly, I think they should have skipped the original remodel and gone straight for this. It's a sexy little thing, and with very few moving parts you can guarantee these will be working reliably long after most of the disc-feed system units have packed up in 10 years time.

In that sense, they're a very good prospect for Retro gamers in the near future, too, though I can see them being a limited run, so snap one up - we're probably talking under £70 for a console that should last you a lifetime. 8)

It's basically the student version of a Wii :P

Oh please, I've blown my budget on a Wii U. :wink:

21. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 16:53

Good God...this is a terrible, TERRIBLE IDEA!

Come on, Nintendo, have some sense! You've already confused half the earth's population with your dodgy name for the new console: Wii U.

This both confuses the casuals ("is this a redesigned Wii? Or a new controller?") as well as instantly puts off many of the hardcores ("hahha it has WII in it's name, Wii was a terrible console for babies, I'm not getting this!")

So we've established that the name 'Wii U' is not great. But to re-release a new style of Wii within a month of Wii U?! People are going to be even more confused!!

And a home console that doesn't have any online capabilities in this day and age is just unacceptable!

Feeling sorry for all of the kids this Christmas Day who ask for a Wii U and open a brand new, smaller Wii...

(Sidenote which I cannot deny: dat colour scheme :D)

22. Erdogan44 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 17:20

It's really, really ugly.. I think black and white would of looked premium..

Also, no Internet is a dealbreaker for me as I play MH3 and MKWii online a lot and download titles every now and then.

Also.. can you hear the cash cow?

23. me4ndubz Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 17:22

The latest set of wiis haven't had backwards compatibility anyway so that's no surprise. But the no internet thing is kind of surprising

24. geengy Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 17:41

No Wi-Fi. Nintendo, are you stupid? I always defend Nintendo but right now I can't do anything about it. Their marketing strategyu is just humiliating.

25. submission75 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 18:21

i walked past a trade in shop today, you can get a normal wii for £50. No part of this seems a good idea...

26. Redfish20 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 18:28

It's basically the student version of a Wii :P

Oh please, I've blown my budget on a Wii U. :wink:

I blew mine on my rent, no WiiU for me yet :(

On the subject of the mini, I hope this idea catches on and we get some sort of budget WiiU (for reasons mentioned above). Preferably not immediately after the console has been replaced though...

27. Kesskuron Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 19:34

You know there are loads of people who own consoles and don't use them online right
    And it's not like the Wii even had good online
    This is clearly aimed at the casual market that are only interested in putting in a game, playing it and then turning it off, the kind of people who only play Zumba or Rabbids, of which there are thousands. They have no interest in online play, VC or DLC, so there's no need to include it and bump up the price for no reason.

I'd be interested to see why this is only being released in Canada; there must be a reason

28. Baker1000 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 19:49

Looks nice, but obviously it's only aimed at people who just want to play on regular Wii games. Basically casual fans, though I don't how many of those don't already have the console. It's a good way of keeping the market the Wii opened up playing the console though. Not everyone is going to switch to the Wii U right away.

29. adamguy Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 19:54

And it's not like the Wii even had good online

Probably because Canada is so casual.

Speaking of the Wii Mini itself, I appreciate what it's obvious purpose is, ie to give casual consumers an affordable console for the few games they want to play. Although the Wii was already very affordable to start with, and there can't be that many people left who still want a Wii, that haven't already bought one. I think it probably would have been a bit smarter to release it at an earlier date, as although I personally wouldn't have bought one, more people surely would have done? Also I'm not sure if anyone has actually said this, but the actual design of the console is very appealing, I have to say. It actually reminds me of older Nintendo systems, with the top loader particulary reminding me of the gamecube and the shape reminding me of the SNES. At this stage it's kind of pointless, but it looks like it does its task beautifully.

30. Mr Roboto Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 20:11

I like that a lot if the Wii u wasn't out this year I would buy the Wii mini.

31. nintenu Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 20:38

Remember, Sony did the same thing with the PSP.

Sony who???

I so want a mini SNES and a NES Top Loader! ...well, hopefully one day ...one day! :)

32. DR_SALVADOR Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 20:40

that the thing though yu have no idea how that console has been treated by a previous owner it might last a year or break down in a week with the wii mini your gauranteed to buy it brand new for probably not much more

33. Im Batman Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 20:55

I don't really get point...
    and Canada only?

34. CDS Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 21:16

Sony who???

Yes, I agree that Sony are in a bit of trouble and released the E series with the intentions of making more money, while Nintendo don't have to - if that's what you are getting at.

35. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 21:19

And it's not like the Wii even had good online

I see what you're saying, and I realise that a lot of people don't play online - one of them is me! (only because I have godawful internet, but still...) But the Wii's online wasn't universally bad - I don't know if you own Monster Hunter Tri, but that actually worked really well online!

The point is, even really cheap mobile phones have internet access these days, so releasing a games console without any kind of online (which also means no WiiWare/Virtual Console) is really unusual in the modern world. Besides, everyone who's likely to have a Wii has got one by this point - who is going to buy a new one, with less key features?

36. hammster Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 21:27

No wifi, no backwards compatibility, Canada only.

...who thought this was a finanically viable idea again?

Err... Of course this is financially viable.

37. Kesskuron Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 22:18

I've played a disgusting amount of MHTri, but it's the only game outside of Goldeneye that i've spent any notable amount of time online with on the Wii. I barely even downloaded anything on it.

We'll have to see who buys it once it's released, but there is still a market for the Wii; as someone who works in a game shop I can verify that.

38. taximadish Tuesday 27th Nov 2012 at 23:05

Please Nintendo. Please?

39. The_BAAD_Man Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 00:56

I think it looks sleek and has a great colour-scheme. That being said, this is awfully close to the Wii-U release.

40. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:12

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea (I'm in the grey area) you can't deny that the casing looks amazing. I mean, it looks like a flatter and more stylish version of the Gamecube! I'd go as far too say that it looks just like a hybrid of the Wii, a Gamecube and the Game Boy Micro.
    I mean, the Wii looks great (not mine, it's losing its sheen) with it's small boxy shape and shiny blue slot, but had Nintendo had released a bigger version of this with the Gamecube compatibility and wi-fi instead, it would have been so much better.
    I can see this being a future collectors item, just like the aforementioned Game Boy Micro.

41. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 13:37

I must admit it does look really nice,even without the use of online.

42. Hams96 Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 04:32

If I didn't already have a Wii, I would seriously consider getting this when it's released in Britain. I don't have any 'Cube games, and I don't plan on connecting my Wii to the internet, so this would be perfect for me.

43. Zen Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 20:50

This seems really bizarre. The Wii Mini has no internet, no backwards compatibly and it's price tag is rivalling a second-hand Wii.

Unless you're a collector, there is no real reason to buy this.

44. snoscumber Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 18:01

very smart move nintendo now any one can own an up to date console i love it bit unfair that its only for canada :cry: