Register your 3DS XL with Club Nintendo and get a free 3DS game

Amazing offer! Free 3DS game for all 3DS XL owners!

Nintendo have announced a great deal for 3DS XL owners. If you register your 3DS XL through Club Nintendo before 15 January 2013, you'll get a free game from the eShop.

We're not talking about a budget indie game here. Register your console and you can choose from five downloadable games: New Art Academy, Super Mario 3D Land, New Style Boutique, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and Freakyforms Deluxe.

Loading video...

The good thing about this offer is that it's not just open to new 3DS XL owners. Even if you bought your 3DS XL when it was released in June 2012, you qualify. If you've already registered your 3DS XL system in Club Nintendo, you will still be able to receive the free download if you log in to your Club Nintendo account and follow the instructions on the banner about the promotion by 15 January 2013.

For new 3DS XL owners, you need to register the console through Club Nintendo and the download code will be sent to to your email address. Then you just need to

redeem your code between 1 January and 31 January 2013 in the 3DS eShop

What an amazing offer. Talk about an early Christmas present!

Comments

1. reeesy Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 10:46

Sweet! Thanks Nintendo!

2. kevelstone Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 10:51

When can we get a code if we already have a xl?

3. RainbowGazelle Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 10:55

Here's where to find it if you've already registered:
    1. Log in.
    2. Click on 'My Account'.
    3. Click on the arrow pointing right.
    4. Now click on 'CLAIM YOUR FREE GAME'.
    5. Follow the instructions.

I hope this helps.

Also: thanks Nintendo! I was going to ask for Super Mario 3D Land for Christmas, but now I can get it free in the new year! :D

4. Laughlyn Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:02

Shame teh club nintendo site is still under maintainence. cant see any banners to register. wonder if i get 2 games since i have my 3ds xl and pre-ordered my pikachu one. be nice to get em both on one system

5. kevws77 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:12

Sweet Nintendo. That is a pretty awesome free gift. 3D Layton here we go!! :P

6. jawafour Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:13

Yay, a great new year treat from Nintendo! I'm looking forward to having Super Mario 3D Land on my 3DS XLs SD card :-)

7. pokemaster Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:31

This is why Nintendo rock! Thank you very much. Already have Layton and Mario. Huge Colors!3d user so Art Academy is not essential. Style Boutique? No thanks. Freakyforms here I come. :)
    Site is under maintenance, but still works. :)

8. lrwr14 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:50

Nice, will be buying a 3DSxl at some point, the only problem is that it probably won't be till 17 January :(

9. thecoolmana777 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 11:59

Awesome , Professor Layton here I come!!!

10. alexkinch Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 12:00

Cool. Traded mario 3d land in months ago. Now i get it back for free? Sweet

11. Slinkington Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 12:15

VERY impressed with this!

12. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 13:42

Brilliant news,a very good incentive to buy an XL this Christmas.
    I'll be going for New Style Boutique,as I've got the other four titles,but I did enjoy the demo of Style Boutique,so..yeah.

13. GengarGuy094 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 13:49

Ahh, that's so awesome! :D I have a 3DS atm (got it at launch, yay ambassador games! :D) but I was holding off buying the XL until a design came out that I wanted...Pikachu! ^_^ So I pre-ordered that when it was available to do so and it will be here 7th December. But I'm not allowed to have it until Christmas, but I can still get a free game.

I've already had Mario 3D Land, found it too easy, so I think I might go for Professor Layton since it was a game I wanted to buy but couldn't scrape up enough cash 'cause of buying people pressies (including my hamster, he got a cool new cage). :3

Thank you Nintendo! <3 I'll be the happiest guy ever at Christmas; Wii U, Pikachu 3DS XL, free game, Pokemon Time plushies...can't wait! :D

14. JAYMCK2103 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 15:35

Will u have to wait to use the download code or can u use it as soon as it arrives :?:

15. Smouvy Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 15:36

Any idea if this offer will also be available for the remainder of Europe? So far I don't see anything on my own country's page.

16. ACRID Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 15:42

I was considering upgrading to XL and gifting my original 3DS to my girlfriend - seems like there's no better time to do it.

17. TenTen Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 16:19

Wow, totally wasn't expecting this! I went for Layton, as I've never played a game in the series before.

18. onmsam Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 16:41

I have chose Mario but I decided to do my brothers 3ds xl as well on the same account and I didn't get to choose a game for that. which means he probably wont get a free game. :cry:

so i am not sure why it let me register it.

19. thecoolmana777 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 17:30

From what I understand the code will be e-mailed to you and then you will have to wait until the 1st of January until you can redeem it :D
    Hope this helps

Also does anyone else think nintendo has been rather generous lately first with the free. NSMB2 DLC and now this...

20. Legend of Link Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 17:38

Nice, although I need to decide between Professor Layton or FreakyForms. Will most likely go with Professor Layton.

21. revengebeast Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 17:52

Is there anyone who is unable to redeem this for any reason?
    If so, would you mind letting me have your code?

22. Argenthor Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 18:13

But... I have the original? :(

23. NintendoForLife Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 18:21

Does this work for regular 3DS?
    Haven't registered my launch 3DS yet.

24. silver2010 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 19:00

Great offer...

But did anyone get their code already (I haven't) and I bought 2 xl's on the same club nintendo account I guess I only get 1 game though? If anyone knows let me know. cheers

25. Baker1000 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 19:12

Um, well I already have NSMB2 and if I wanted any of the others I would have bought them at retail by now. I'd rather claim a free VC game TBH! I guess I'll still download one because I can, but I probably won't play it much.

26. Mahzes Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 19:35

Yeah, I'm not seeing any banners either. A lot of pictures etc on the site don't seem to be loading.

27. MewtwoLegend Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 19:44

Great offer...

I think you have to wait a few day's before you receive you're code. At least that's what it said to me...

28. Waldy565 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 20:05

wondered when/how I was gonna get the new prof layton - with this, I can! :D was worried only new 3DSXL owners would qualify, as I got mine when it came out, but good good. Even better if you've all ready registered it, so happy!

29. KeysarSoze Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 22:03

I already bought a 3dsxl for my niece and I just pre ordered a Pokemon 3dsxl also so can I use this offer on both the consoles. Say download Layton on my nieces one and when my Pokemon 3dsxl comes download it for that device?

30. fisher2007 Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 22:10

But... I have the original? :(

31. TaleOfTheToaster Wednesday 28th Nov 2012 at 23:58

OH MY GOD FREE LAYTON
    Sadly, I have never owned a Layton before. I wanted Lost Future most of all, but ONM conveniently decided to spoil the entire story in a Miracle Mask preview. But now I get this :D Shame I don't get a box though :/

32. vix_chan Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 12:56

You will have to do it on 2 diffrent club nintendo accounts.
    Dont register both XLs on the same account or you will only be able to download 1 game.

I am trying to decide between SM3DLand or Style Boutique for myself.
    My nephew is geting a XL for Xmas, and it is going to be even more awsome when his cool aunt gets him a free game on it also.

33. Dun Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 14:43

After reading this I brought myself a 3ds xl red and black. :D

34. choclatescamper Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 17:11

Woo this is why I love Nintendo!! My wii u updating and now I realise I get a new 3ds game!! Can this day get any better?! Oh yeah and Im having my favourite dinner ever!! Best. Day. Ever. Layton 3d here I come!!

35. KeysarSoze Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 18:36

You will have to do it on 2 diffrent club nintendo accounts.

I am trying to decide between SM3DLand or Style Boutique for myself.

Thank you for your reply, in that case just wait for my yellow pokemon 3dsxl register that and download Layton, bring on December 7thmlol

36. DuckyPrincess Saturday 1st Dec 2012 at 18:25

Is offer available in the US? I am really interested in this.

37. Mahzes Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 18:42

Has anyone actually managed to get the Free Game banner to show up yet?

38. RainbowGazelle Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 20:42

I shall repeat my instructions for people who are struggling.

Here's where to find the banner if you've already registered:
    1. Log in.
    2. Click on 'My Account'.
    3. Click on the arrow pointing right.
    4. Now click on 'CLAIM YOUR FREE GAME'.
    5. Follow the instructions.

I hope this helps.

39. Mahzes Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 20:57

Thanks very much!

40. silver2010 Monday 3rd Dec 2012 at 10:19

Got my mario code! Sold my proper copy for Ł23 and bought fallblox and 2 gameboy games considered kind of rare so...thanks nintendo!

41. liveswired Wednesday 5th Dec 2012 at 23:05

I'd hardly call an overpriced download an 'amazing offer'. I nearly choked when I saw that mini game that pretends to be Pilotwings costs a stonking Ł40 download! No offence Nintendo but there is only Ł2.49 worth of content looking at your current download pricing standards.

42. Claireabelle735 Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 10:03

Can't find how to do it, I already registered my 3dsxl in October. There is no reference to a free game anywhere on my account :(

43. Claireabelle735 Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 10:40

I shall repeat my instructions for people who are struggling.

Here's where to find the banner if you've already registered:
    1. Log in.
    2. Click on 'My Account'.
    3. Click on the arrow pointing right.
    4. Now click on 'CLAIM YOUR FREE GAME'.
    5. Follow the instructions.

I hope this helps.

I have tried to follow your instructions but can find no "download your free game"
    After clicking on your account, you say to click on the arrow pointing right? The only arrows I can see are 'stars balance' , 'change profile' etc... Are you using the uk site? I am wondering wether this only works on the us site? I have tried emailing Nintendo but have had no reply as of yet although this usually takes some time. Just thinking time is running out!!

44. Claireabelle735 Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 10:58

I've done it yey!!
    For those of you using an iPad when you log into your account you will see the red arrow that says star balance, if you sweep across the screen to the left then the banner will come up that says "get your free game"
    I guess this will be the same for anyone using a tablet.
    Hope this helps :)

45. Irene19 Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 12:15

:D That totally worked...been trying for days to find a way to get code..I'm in the Uk, and on my ipad that worked straight away... Kids will be well chuffed - cough , mum too ..love Mario....x

46. chanw08 Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 20:06

not sure if i have done something wrong but im not seeing my download code anywhere tried the instructions given .... and also no email as of yet...

47. EricaD Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 16:49

I have tried to claim my free download game constanly trying every advice given but no joy i cannot get the banner up! This is very frustating now! i want my free mario game! :cry:

48. Freedom99 Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 22:09

I did mine on the 30 th was hoping to get professor Layton but as yet no email, has anyone had their code yet? I could have done it weeks ago but didn't want to loose the code so waited until a few days before the 1 st and thought I would get the ode right away in an email from a computer but it looks like it must be manual and we are on a list.

49. cpepperrell Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 12:20

I HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY CODE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I REGISTERED ON THE 31ST, [i]the same day I got the 3DS XL system,[i] AND I HAVEN'T RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM THEM WITH THE PROMOTIONAL CODE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I BROUGHT THE 3DS XL FOR MANY REASONS AND ONE OF THEM IS BECAUSE OF THIS OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. MetroidAzura Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 20:04

Try registering your 3DS XL back in July like myself. I'm still waiting on my code. I've tried sending them an e-mail, but their customer support is naff, and I've yet to get a reply. I tried calling them earlier, but was on hold for over five minutes listening to Kokiri Forest, so hung up.

Apparently, they're putting the codes out in phases, with a different set of people getting theirs each day running through to the 7th. I know it's to avoid the system becoming overwhelmed, but it's annoying as Hell.

51. aquaclaw Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 21:34

Well got my code today, but it isn't recognised. The email says "remember you can't use it til after 1st January" too....

52. Freedom99 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 23:23

Same problem my code arrive today ( Wednesday) and thought I would wait until I got a quite moment so just tried to load the game and the code is not recognised. I also tried to link my ds to my ninetendo account but it kept saying my email address or password was wrong but I know for a fact there were both right.

Something big wrong with the system you would think a big company like this would have had this all fixed ready to roll out its not great customer service at all.

Question now is what can we do about it?

53. MafiaWars Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 18:06

Got the code last night, after requesting in on Monday, so it took about 2-3 days which is as stated on their page. and it all worked fine :D , BTW there are no "O"s only "0" zeros so make sure you are using capitals and entering it correctly and it should work, i had to do an update first which took a few minutes and then a further 25 minutes to download Prof Layton. Good luck

54. bob builder Tuesday 10th Dec 2013 at 00:24

Can this be done in the united staes?