Wii U has unprecedented entertainment potential - Iwata

We want to create something better than is already in the world

On the eve of the Wii U UK launch, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has been talking up Nintendo's new console, claiming that Nintendo has delivered on its aim to "create something better than is already in the world."

Speaking with IGN, Iwata apologised for the day one update but argued that what the new console offers is worth waiting for.

"[Nintendo] aims to create something better than what is already available in the world," said Iwata. "We believe this can happen by creating something unprecedented. Since Game & Watch and NES, all the Nintendo hardware has been developed consistently under this philosophy."

However, he admits that some people may need to play Wii U to be convinced of its potential. "The brand new user interfaces that Nintendo invented often faced skeptical views before a hardware launch, but wound up becoming de facto industry standards," continued Iwata. "It is challenging to communicate attractions which are hard to understand unless you actually touch and experience them yourself. This is especially so with Wii U because it has unprecedented entertainment potential."

Certainly with Miiverse, the internet browser, video chat capabilities and Nintendo TVii, Wii U is more than just a games console but with 24 titles available on launch day, the new machine has plenty for gamers to enjoy.

And with 3D Mario and Zelda Wii U games on the way, there's a lot to look forward to.

Comments

1. Slinkington Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 10:09

I can't agree with what he says about Nintendo making industry standard interfaces. I strongly dislike most of Nintendo's user interfaces.

The 3DS Interface needs work. The folders need real icons, as all mine have a massive "G" on them, for GBA, GBC, GameBoy etc. It's ridiculous. This isn't industry standard at all. I also didn't enjoy using the Wii's interface, switching between SD and internal channels.

Also, how the VC game channel icons would flash between the game title and the system the game was released on is ridiculous. I could never find what game I was looking for because it kept displaying the system it was released for, rather than what game it actually was.

They should also fix the long times when pressing the Home button on the 3DS and Wii U. And how this button becomes disabled at times when online or in the eShop. Xbox 360, PS3 and Vita do not have these issues. The load time isn't long, but the other systems act instantly. Nintendo needs to address this.

2. LavaTwilight Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 13:39

He could be referring to the NES! Back in the 80s, there were no games consoles per se, just machines that were only able to play a singular title, such as Space Invaders or Pong. These connected to the TV and could not play any other games than 'the one on the box'. The NES changed all that! It was the first home console and was viewed as not having enough appeal to justify releasing games for.

3. Mr Roboto Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 20:22

I've only been playing for about an hour but I can totally see the potential in the Wii u. It needs exclusive games and not just ports with game pad extras thrown in.

4. IPecksU Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 15:34

There'll probably be loads saying this but it could use party chat (or a skype messenger app that can run in the background?), and does anybody know if http://www.tvcatchup.com/ works on the web browser? I sort of can't touch my wii u until christmas so I can't check for myself XD

5. liveswired Wednesday 5th Dec 2012 at 21:34

Agreed. I've been saying this for ages also!

6. liveswired Wednesday 5th Dec 2012 at 21:37

This being Nintendo - NO DEFINITELY NEVER. The Wii U web browser will never develop or progress beyond it's current form and will be as good as useless within the next 6 months.

Nintendo need to WAKE THE HELL UP FAST.