3D Mario and Zelda Wii U launch schedules to be announced in the future - Iwata

There's a lot to look forward to

There are no 3D Zelda or Mario games in the Wii U's launch line-up but Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has assured fans that release dates for both games will be announced in the future.

The Zelda Wii U tech demo was one of the first things Nintendo showed off when they unveiled the console back in 2011 but we have seen nothing of a 3D Mario game.

Instead, Nintendo are focusing their efforts of New Super Mario Bros U, the Wii U launch game that marks Mario's HD debut. It is a 2D platformer but after the brilliance of the Mario Galaxy games, Nintendo fans are looking forward to seeing how they follow it up with the next 3D game.

Well, as Iwata told IGN, you'll have to wait and see. "We will announce the launch schedules for new 3D Zelda and Mario games in the future, but this is not the right opportunity for me to indicate when we will make such announcements," he said.

Yet while he understands that the Nintendo games are what fans are looking forward to, Iwata understands that Wii U needs more than Mario and Zelda to succeed.

"Our first party software alone can't be enough to appeal to the different tastes of all game fans. The decision of Nintendo that it will publish the two software titles from Platinum Games is one answer to this challenge."

Which are you most looking forward to? 3D Mario or 3D Zelda?

Comments

1. 5OUNDWAVE Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 09:31

2 hard 2 choose so both of them me think's , but if i had 2 choose 1 it would be zelda

2. K-tet Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 09:32

3D Mario or 3D Zelda? Personally I'm more a Mario fan than a Zelda fan. However, both games I suspect are going to look beyond gorgeous and are going to put what other developers have done on the other HD consoles to shame, a bit like how Galaxy put the HD powerhouses to shame with beautiful graphics. The argument this time around will be "just imagine them in 1080p!" =3

Mario for me, but I suspect plenty here will want Zelda more.

3. LavaTwilight Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 09:37

In all honesty I'll be looking forward to Zelda, but both my wife and I enjoy Mario and is a game we'll probably share our advancements in, as well as helping each other with tips and hints and secrets. So that said, I'd be waiting for the Mario game :D

4. Slayso Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 09:43

Both will look incredible, and although I'm generally more of a Zelda fan these days if we compare Galaxy 1 and 2 to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword I'd say Mario has me slightly more hyped. Slightly.

5. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 10:21

So, if I've got this right, Nintendo have made an announcement that they will make an announcement, but they can't announce when that announcement will be made. Okie-dokie.

I really don't want to see a Wii U Zelda any time too soon. I like that I have to wait four to five years fore the next big Zelda adventure. Likewise, since we've got New Super Mario Bros. U to keep us entertained, I wouldn't like another full Mario platformer, 3D or otherwise, until mid-2014 at the earliest. No doubt a spin-off will arrive in the meantime to keep other Mario lovers like me pleased.

Of the two though, I suppose I'm more eager to see what form Zelda will take, and more eager to play a new 3D Mario.

6. shy guy 64 Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 10:31

probably not for an other couple years i imagine

7. NE1 Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 10:33

Well Super Mario 64 was released in 1996, then Sunshine in 2002, then Galaxy in 2007 and 2 in 2010. I think we can expect a healthy 4-5 year development stage, assuming we go from Galaxy 2 as that kept the development team busy. So maybe 2014 at a push? Though I think we'd all rather wait for something perfect for the system, Nintendo needs to start rolling out the first party killer titles. Don't get me wrong, I cannot wait for Pikmin, but after that what else is on the horizon and what is going to make Xbox or PS3 owners think about picking up the system? For a lot of people who own those systems, Mario and Zelda are the reason they bought a Wii, so when the Nextbox and the PS4 are announced, whats going to make them look twice at the WiiU now? I really want the WiiU to pick up steam so we get more third party support...cough....Rockstar.....cough...

8. Slayso Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 11:07

I'd imagine we'll have Mario next Christmas and Zelda the following year. If I was to guess.

9. yoshimad Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 11:17

Ohhhh it so hard to tell which one I'll be more excited for I absolutely love the Zelda series :D but Mario Galaxy just had so many different mechanics and such whish made it such a excellent game. One thing for sure is that these games will be bought for my Wii U games collection!!! :shock:

10. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 11:50

We'll probably hear about this 3D Mario game at E3 next year.

11. reeesy Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 12:11

I agree. Having to wait so long is part of makes them so special when they do come along. All new consoles take time to find their feet, so I'd like to see the WiiU really settle in and find it's place before a grand Zelda or Mario come along.

However I am also interested in finding out what style Nintendo will take with the next big Zelda...
    Personally, I hope its realism over toon. What better way to mark the series' leap into HD than with gorgeous detailed realistic graphics.

12. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 12:16

It might be getter to go from Super Mario 3D Land as the Galaxy team worked on that too.

13. blaziken411 Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 12:48

i dont mind waiting for zelda if only they give me pokemon colluseum again or something similar

14. jaco_p Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 13:32

Zelda, definitely. New mario games get released more than once a year on handheld and home console, and zelda games are spread much farther apart.

15. Dave-O Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 13:40

Mario Galaxy 2 is the best Mario game to me so I can't wait to see what they do next but I'm definitely more exited about a new Wii U Zelda after Skyward Sword became the best game in the world in my opinion. I wonder how they'll try to top perfection.

16. C00LI098 Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 16:01

If the next 3D Mario game is anything like SMG(2), I'll be looking forward to that more.

17. madlink Thursday 29th Nov 2012 at 16:45

That is one BIG spider. (in the video). I have always loved the zelda games and can't wait for a HD version. I'm hoping for a twilight princess/skyward sword gameplay. I hope they don't revert to toon link. I did enjoy wind-waker but prefer the more realistic look of the two later games. Mind you if I saw a spider THAT size I'd probably panic.

18. adamatsu Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 13:59

Both will surely be amazing! Kind of more excited for a big open world 3d mario...i'd also like it if they expanded on the skyward sword world for zelda and kept the same artistic style of that game for the first zelda wii u game.

19. epiclink Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 16:59

I would like to see the Mario galaxy series live on!

20. HaydnRhys Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 17:46

:shock: ?!?!?!? So you'd rather wait another 5 years for a Zelda game? Are you sure you're a Nintendo fan?

21. Kieran Drakes Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 22:09

I want another Mario galaxy experience, it is well and truly a game that makes your eyes tingle, i think Link should have his own game as well, but i think mario 3d would be better.
    I would quite like a game where Zelda is the hero, so maybe 3d luigi as well, that would add a good twist

22. MartinIsAwesome Saturday 1st Dec 2012 at 20:23

I'm more surprised that you wouldn't rather wait. Not only does it mean that there's a more time to develop the game and perfect it, but it makes it more of an event. Plus there's a good track record with games with longer development periods being excellent.

23. COMM4ND3R-COOL Monday 3rd Dec 2012 at 01:46

I'm holding off until the new Zelda, or until something massively awesome is released as I'm finding it difficult to justify forking out the 350+ on the Wii U at the moment... which is REALLY hard as I usually buy new Nintendo gear on launch day.

24. GullibleGoat44 Thursday 6th Dec 2012 at 08:53

zelda all the way. While mario is great i think a new zelda would have a bigger impact on the games market than a 3d mario. I know lots of people would disagree with me but this is just my opinion.

25. Anthony87 Monday 24th Dec 2012 at 21:50

I think i speak on behalf of alot of people when i say zelda in HD, will be better then mario by far. on that note i also dont want to wait a whole nother year to play the game, like come on give us a break...... ps i need a zelda more like ocarina of time but in hd would be nice oh and 3d sux for games such as 3ds, booo.. holographic is gonna be where its at lol. All in all i cant wait to play the new zelda coming out in HD for the wii u I bet its going to be amazing maybe the best yet, I hope :D , just hurry up Thank you.

26. Anthony87 Monday 24th Dec 2012 at 23:52

That is not true for example look at the company blizard diablo 2 kicked a$$, then 14 years later diablo 3 came out in high hopes an then sucked they changed so much that it was't the same game any more. I could give examples for nintendo,xbox360,and ps3 as well but ive proven my point already.

27. theRagingEwok Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 01:55

While in a utopian world, we'd all want our Zelda's and Mario's to be announced in 2014 at the earliest. However, for Nintendo and the system's survival, they need to be rolling out the first party killer apps soon. Not saying that Wii U will fail unless something is announced 2013, BUT it will give PS360 owners another reason to pick a Wii U up over the new consoles and definitely up Ninty's chances in the console sales race.