Wii U is here! Watch the midnight launch video!

Wii U launches in the UK with a special midnight event at HMV

Wii U is finally here! Nearly 18 months after Nintendo's new console was announced, Wii U launched in the UK with a special midnight event at HMV in London. Hundreds of dedicated Nintendo fans queued up in the cold to buy the hotly anticipated successor to the Wii (and get a free copy of New Super Mario Bros U). You can see all the action from the night by watching our special Wii U midnight launch video.

As ever, Mario was in attendance but this time he was joined by a group of zombies, there to celebrate the release of ZombiU, one of the big launch titles. As the fans waited for the clock to reach midnight, they were kept entertained by people demonstrating the best Wii U games on stage, including ONM's Chandra Nair who showed off his Nintendo Land skills.

The first person to get his hands on a Wii U on the night was Izzy Rahman who had been camping outside HMV with his friends since Saturday. Asked what he thought of Nintendo's new console, he said: "It's a new Nintendo console. How could you not be excited. They just bring back feelings of being a little kid again and every time a new Nintendo console launches, it's always a special moment, a momentous occasion. I can't wait to get home and start playing it."

Have you got a Wii U? Let us know what you think of it so far...

Comments

1. lrwr14 Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 09:22

looked fun. If I lived in London then I would have gone. Even though I'm not getting one lol.

2. blind_ibin Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 10:38

I applaud their dedication for waiting in the cold. I recieved my Zombi u bundle and 5 other games at 3pm yesterday afternoon. The console is ammazing and games are fantastic.

3. imbusydoctorwho Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 11:18

Looks like the people had fun who went,shame I don't live in London,cause if I did,I would've went.

4. ledreppe Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 12:58

Still waiting for TNT to turn up, the wait is killing me.

5. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 14:25

i'm writing this comment on the gamepad , lucky dog's who got there's last night , got mine this morning , 400 quid for mario - sonic racing and the zombiu bundle , well worth it , have only played mario so far - it's fantastic , waiting for my mate to call so i can show him sonic and then once it get's dark it's zombiu time , also the picture on the game-pad is better than my tv , i'm so impressed it was worth the wait

6. torterratrainer Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 16:18

MORE ONM TEAM FACE TIME REQUIRED

7. 3DSRulesO.K Friday 30th Nov 2012 at 16:27

MINE ARRIVED!! It came today about an hour ago, I ordered it from Amazon, and for some reason, Nintendo Land wasn't in it, (it is the premium pack btw) I've since contacted them, and they said that they have recieved similar complaints to this, and they will get back to me in 24 hours, i'm not going to play it in case I have to send it back to them. It's so annoying, I actually held the gamepad, (through the plastic)! The first console I've ever got on launch day, I will own this system every day of its life! :mrgreen:

8. Kirby8 Saturday 1st Dec 2012 at 12:14

I was planning to come, dressed as Mario and everything! But that second game choice SUCKED! Mass effect, COD or FIFA. No thanks. The fact that the second game was rubbish created more hassle as I already would need to return my preorder and I wouldn't have ZombiU afterwards unless I bought it from HMV. And then you only get one goodie bag when you buy, unlike the 3DS one where I got about 7 while in the queue, plus free umbrellas as well! It seemed like a lot of fun and was thinking I might just go for the fun, but my WiiU had already arrived at home, so I just went home and played it for hours on end!

9. Dan-the-Wii-man Saturday 1st Dec 2012 at 14:55

I was first to get it in cardiff! lol :P still waiting for my copy of zombi u pre-ordered it from Zavvi but it still hasnt come :(

10. dave666 Saturday 1st Dec 2012 at 17:31

I was there with my buddy and had a great night. met some great fans while waiting outside HMV who were cool to chat to and helped the time pass. Also had the chance to meet a few members of team ONM

They were very friendly and polite guys and were a pleasure to talk to.