Best Wii U eShop games

NES Remix, Castlestorm and Wii Sports Club: Golf all join the illustrious digital ranks

There are a number of cracking games to download on the Wii U eShop. Alongside the boxed releases, the Wii U's gradually building up a respectable library of titles that can only be downloaded from Nintendo's digital store, none currently costing more than around a tenner. These are the best Wii U eShop games right now, but don't expect them to stick around for too long - with games such as Scram Kitty, Teslagrad and Tengami on the way, we expect some of these will slip down the rankings soon.

10. NES Remix

What is it? Quite probably the strangest thing Nintendo's done since Iwata and those bananas, NES Remix takes the classics of yesteryear, splices them together and releases them onto your TV like the Microgames of Doctor Moreau. It's brilliant technically, conceptually and musically.

What we said: "Remember WarioWare's diminutive geek, 9-Volt? The kid who liked to play 8-bit Nintendo games all the time and who - if Game & Wario is to be believed - had the world's scariest mum? That guy would love NES Remix. This is a retro-head's dream, a celebration of Nintendo history that dares to slay a few sacred cows in the process. Fancy seeing Link tackling Donkey Kong? How about a playable Luigi in a mirrored version of Super Mario Bros? You've come to the right place."

Score: 74%

Read our NES Remix review for more.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. Mmmyeah Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 11:21

Trine 2 looks pretty cool and at Ł10.99 it seems really good value too. I'll be downloading that soon!

2. Herbert_Rarr Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 12:09

I agree that as an eShop title for only Ł10.99, Trine 2 offers amazing value for money. But when I played the demo, I found the controls awkward and confusing at times - I kept charging down bottomless pits forgetting that it's not B to jump. And the use of the right analogue stick for character-specific abilities like magic and aiming the bow were unwieldy. I'm not a fan of action-platformers where you have to use strategic attacks and I didn't really enjoy this either. But those who are will most likely love this game.
    ONM's Chasing Aurora multiplayer video looked pretty boring to me and Nintendo Gamer's one showed how repetitive the single player part of the game is. It just appeared dull.
    From that trailer, Nano Assault Neo looks like it belongs on the App Store rather than the eShop, Little Inferno could be a side mini-game in a larger game like Coin Launcher was in SSBB, and Puddle is basically Hydroventure.
    So none of these excite me, but the inclusion of Trine 2 is a good place to start - setting a sort of standard I guess.
    I just hope the Wii U eShop doesn't end up like the DSiWare or WiiWare shops with a tonne of turds piled around, obscuring the real gems.

3. TaleOfTheToaster Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 16:31

68% for Puddle? I'm really enjoying that game, I actually prefer it to Hydroventure. The motion controls work very well, I don't know what you mean, I chose to use them over ZL/ZR. Midnight yesterday, I was at #2 on the World Rankings, but I've left my GamePad charger in my other house :O I really want to get back on the game!

4. Xenobladeperson Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 16:34

91% is too much for Trine. I'd give it somewhere in the eighties.

5. mushroomchow Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 19:46

Someone sell Chasing Aurora to me? It looks really, really boring.

6. AquaMisty Sunday 2nd Dec 2012 at 20:18

Since when has Michael Jackson been a reviewer?? :D

7. gabrieljrc1 Monday 3rd Dec 2012 at 09:20

Trine 2 DC looks so good for Ł11! I'll probably get it the moment I've got a Wii U and done the system Update! :D

8. MartinIsAwesome Monday 3rd Dec 2012 at 10:30

Since when has Michael Jackson been a reviewer?? :D

Mike Jackson has actually been a reviewer for a while. He was even a staff writer for EMAP's old Nintendo Official Magazine (NOM) and has written for Official Xbox Magazine and CVG, as well as the odd review for ONM previously.
    He is not affiliated with the dead pop musician.

9. jaco_p Monday 3rd Dec 2012 at 13:14

as soon as i updated my wii, turned on the eshop and watched the trine video i was wowed and downloaded it straight away!! Loooks AND plays beautifully

10. andrea987 Monday 3rd Dec 2012 at 19:26

Ditto.

11. lazy_by_choice Tuesday 5th Feb 2013 at 18:24

Trine 2 does look visually epic! But I would have to go with The Cave, purely because it's from Ron Gilbert, the genius behind the Monkey Island series :D

12. Not_Yeti Tuesday 5th Feb 2013 at 18:26

Trine 2 is a beautiful and brilliant game for 3 people. I do not enjoy the solo play as much as it just feels like less of a game where you switch between 3 characters instead of 3 characters using their specific abilitys together.

13. KH81314 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 06:11

Trine 2 looks like a great game. Might get the Cave as well.

14. Greene-Stuff Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 12:38

I just hope developers realise the potential with the eshop, Trine 2 DC is brilliant! I want to see more games like this and less like pokemon ranch for wiiware

15. jaco_p Wednesday 10th Apr 2013 at 16:49

getting runner 2 tomorrow can't wait!!

16. bigterence Thursday 11th Apr 2013 at 07:18

Runner 2 for me,none of this"i might get this if i had a wiiu" nonsense that appears repeatedly on this site.Lets get back to comments by magazine subscription members-only .

17. Waldy565 Friday 12th Apr 2013 at 17:19

Someone sell Chasing Aurora to me? It looks really, really boring.

I won't probably sell it too you, but if you like high score chasing and beautiful ariel displays, then get it. What I mean by "ariel displays" is it's so organic, and the gliding and swooping, mmmmm! Sorry haha - I think it's the multiplayer people buy it for, I think there's a version of Tag and another mode I forget... I think I've just sold the game to myself, that's an achievement!
    EDIT: Now, can anyone sell Trine 2 to me? It does look beautiful, but I think it's really, really generic - even the platform physics aren't as finely toned as a Mario game.

18. NintendanGX Friday 9th Aug 2013 at 04:46

Why isn't Runner 2 higher on the list? Spin the Bottle probably doesn't offer anything to lone players, and I found myself bored with Trine 2. Runner 2 has kept me playing much longer than any indie or even AAA title on the Wii U, is very gorgeous to look at, has a funky soundtrack that goes hand-in hand with the gameplay, the controls are incredibly responsive, there's tons of levels to play through, plenty of things to unlock and achieve, and it all feels rewarding. It's a definite improvement on BIT TRIP Runner, and overall the best indie game I've played in a while. It deserves a higher spot than Trine 2 for sure.

19. diego666 Tuesday 28th Jan 2014 at 18:59

You all write Trine 2 looks pretty cool for Ł10.99, but it is just for Ł5.49 !!! Go to Special offers....

20. Dawid Lubkowski Tuesday 28th Jan 2014 at 21:26

surely........u must have meant.....wii....U!!!!!

21. toffeeman30 Wednesday 29th Jan 2014 at 13:13

see a lot of love on here for trine. ok it looks pretty, but the gameplay is lacking. just because graphics are good, doesnt mean its superior because of that. controls need to be customised too. go for mario or rayman, much more fun