LoveFilm launches on Wii today, Wii U coming soon

Stream films for as little as £4.99 a month

Lovefilm launches on Wii today while the Wii U version of the popular movie and TV streaming service will be coming soon.

While fans eagerly wait for Lovefilm on Wii U, they should know that they could stream films now on their old Wii console from £4.99 a month.

The Lovefilm Instant application is available now from the Wii Shop and if you're already a member of Lovefilm you can download it for free. From there, you can watch, search, browse, rate and review titles from the Lovefilm Instant catalogue - all as part of your existing membership package.

If you're not a member of Lovefilm, you need to sign up on the Lovefilm website (you can use your Amazon account to do this).

Films coming to Lovefim Instant on Wii this December include Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, Inception and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1.

But it's not just about movies. You can also stream popular TV shows, with every season of season of Downton Abbey available to watch.

Of course, Netflix is already available on Wii and Wii U but Lovefilm Instant will offer another option for gamers who want to stream films from their console.

For example, Lovefilm Instant has exclusive first pay window content deals with Entertainment One and Studio Canal which means they get new releases first from both studios, including new instalments to the Twilight Saga and Tinker Tailor Solider Spy.

The first pay window is the first time a movie can be shown on a consumer platform (television, computer, tablet, mobile) to subscribers of a given service and it normally opens around 6 months after theatrical release.

Lovefilm Instant also has exclusive second pay window content deals with Warner Bros., Universal Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox and Sony Pictures, plus streaming deals with other studios including Disney, Miramax and many more. The second pay window is when these films come to streaming services such as Lovefilm and Netflix.

Nintendo's Shelly Pearce is excited about Lovefilm Instant coming to Wii and Wii U: "We are thrilled to be partnering with Lovefilm to offer Wii owners and soon Wii U owners on-demand film and TV content to enjoy. Lovefilm has a proven track record of success and innovation in film distribution and is a very welcome addition."

Are you going to download the Lovefilm app on Wii?

Comments

1. Dan Fantastic Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 12:30

I already have this on my ps3 and the quality is no way near as good as Netflix, which supports HD video and Dolby Digital. Unfortunately Netflix on Wii U isn't brilliant as Ninty didn't license Dolby or DTS, so Netflix only outputs films in stereo. I know Wii U outputs 5.1 lpcm, but this isn't supported by Netflix. More annoying that Wii U background music and Mario U doesn't have 5.1 multichannel support.

2. nintenu Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 13:09

Love Film for Wii U coming soon?? ...there was an icon for this on my Wii U (deleted it), what was the point of that, if it's coming soon??

Netflix has pretty much everything I want to watch ...and well, I don't want to watch!

3. K-tet Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 13:50

LoveFilm comes to Wii U soon, yet the LoveFilm Instant app is already there in the Wii U's splash screen. Funny that...

Oh well, at least Netflix is available for now.

4. lrwr14 Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 16:09

LoveFilm are awful. I'll stick to netflix

5. ledreppe Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 16:37

To k-tet: the application is there but it requires an update which isn't currently available, which is why it's described as "coming to Wii U soon". I thought there was a problem with the software until I realised from the more details button that the app wasn't 'ready to use' out of the box. Just like many other things weren't and required that massive update that annoyed the hell out of everyone.

LoveFilm are awful. I'll stick to netflix

Really? I find it the opposite, I can search for a film on Netflix and usually not find it, but get it on LoveFilm no problems!

6. K-tet Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 16:57

@ledreppe: Sarcasm's a wonderful thing when you don't make it apparent. Take note of "Funny that..."

7. 5OUNDWAVE Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 17:01

LoveFilm are awful. I'll stick to netflix

6 pound for netflix or 10 quid for lovefilm and get film's sent out as well ?

8. lrwr14 Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 18:36

LoveFilm are awful. I'll stick to netflix

LoveFilm are awful. I'll stick to netflix

6 pound for netflix or 10 quid for lovefilm and get film's sent out as well ?

I guess it's just because I had a bad experience with them, Netflix does have it's problems too.

9. Mr Roboto Tuesday 4th Dec 2012 at 19:22

Netflix for me and I'm currently watching Breaking Bad which is awesome!

I think I'll stick with watching it on my PS3 though as I like my PS3 remote control to use the app.

10. Adam Pompa Wednesday 5th Dec 2012 at 07:08

I'm more interested in the fifa 13 demo icon at the bottom than love film.