Nintendo Talk Wii Storage Space

"Most people are happy with what they have," says Laurent Fischer

Nintendo Europe's senior marketing director Laurent Fischer has told ONM that he believes most people are happy with storage space on Wii..

At a WiiWare event, held at Nintendo's German HQ, we asked Fischer if the Wii's firmware could be changed so that games could be run off an SD card. However, Fischer believes that simplicity is the key and that Wii won't be as accessible if Nintendo were to add a hard drive:-

"At the moment, we of course know that some people are strug... well, it's not that they're struggling, it's just that they don't like the system as it's set up at the moment," said Fischer. "But at the end of the day, the system is manageable."

"I realise that some people would like to store everything in one place, for easy accessibility, which is understandable. For them, it would be more convenient to have more space. But having said that, I don't think that's the general feeling of most of the people.

"Most of the people are happy with what they have. Of course, we could increase our technology and add a hard drive, but then what we lose is simplicity and accessibility, which is one of the important things for us. We want our consoles to be easy to access and not cause headaches."

Comments

1. Rnald Thursday 15th May 2008 at 11:36

Judging by all the complaints at the memory of wii, I dont think that most people are happy, I dont think they will bother to sort out the memory for at least one more year.

2. drew250 Thursday 15th May 2008 at 11:37

Call me crazy here but I think I might have a solution here that might suit this guy's worries.

How about, and I'm going out on a limb here, Nintendo make the hard drive extension OPTIONAL.

"What? That's crazy!" I hear you say, "then people who did want a memory extension would be able to get one, but people who didn't; wouldn't. how would that work??"

Let me explain; Nintendo could sell some sort of HD drive in computer game stores, or even online which people who wanted it could buy with their money, and be happy, and dance, and be able to store all their extra VC and WiiWare games. While the people who didn't want it could look at it and say "I don't want that, I'm happy with my current Wii's storage capabilities" and walk on/carry on browsing. Nintendo would make some extra money and everyone would be happy.

3. CaptainSam Thursday 15th May 2008 at 11:40

I could not disagree more with this man! How does adding a hard drive make it more complicated? For one, the hard drive would be a separate purchase, so only people that wanted it could fork out the extra cash for it.

Secondly, all you'd do is plug it into one of the largely unused USB ports, and away you go!

As for his "reasoning" on SD cards, and Firmware upgrades... well, that's a load of rubbish, too. You would only have to upgrade the Wii, and that's it! Your SD card would be integrated with the system, allowing you to access it directly.

The Wii needs more memory, otherwise people, such as myself, will be more inclined to buy another console to play multi platform games, like Guitar Hero, so I can get the downloadable content.

That's my two cents, anyway.

4. luigirules Thursday 15th May 2008 at 11:45

What is so difficult about a HDD???
    Plug it in and your away. He says most people are happy about the space and i know for fact most people are not. I have less than 100 blocks left on my wii. I need more space asap. :x

5. Dubio Thursday 15th May 2008 at 11:49

How in god's earth does adding a hard drive complicate things, you can get 500gb hard drives for under 100 these days so bringing out a seperate hard drive for the Wii capable of storing say 50gb would only need to be sold for like 20-30 which i would be more than happy to pay :D

I think its ludicrous how little a space the Wii has compared to its competitors especially considering the virtual console has proved so popular and bearing in mind Wiiware is out next week 8)

I love the virtual console and have about 12 games downloaded and now my Wii is nearly full so i would have to delete games or store them on an sd card which is more hassle than just adding a hard drive and it all being at hand :D

I really dont get Nintendo's position on this and dont see why they just dont give us a hard drive and be done with it :(

6. macinman Thursday 15th May 2008 at 11:51

If Nintendo are that confident that people are happy with storage, why not post the topic on the Wii Voting Channel? Let the Wii owners speak and make their opinion count instead of a company who is making so much money at the moment it thinks it can go back to it's late 80's early 90's days. Remember what happened last time Nintendo when you "gave" the customers what YOU wanted instead of what they wanted?
    Good Grief! Even developers are asking for more storage space. I for one will not be purchasing any more Virtual Console or WiiWare games untils this is sorted. I fed up with spending half my time using the memory management tools instead of gaming.
    It's a pity that ONM doesn't have the guts to write some editorial about this in the magazine and get the opinion of it's readers. I can't believe that all the ONM staff are "happy" with the storage restrictions of the Wii.

7. StewieTheGiant Thursday 15th May 2008 at 12:04

Extra storage space is definatly something I was looking forward for. This person working for Nintendo is an IDIOT!

8. mad fwaz Thursday 15th May 2008 at 12:14

A HEADACHE! i'll tell you what gives me a headache having to wait 10 mins to play an N64 game becuase i have to go into the wii shop channel and download the bleedin thing every time i wanna play it after deleting it to make room for other games, give me a SD firmware update!

9. Doctor Wii Thursday 15th May 2008 at 12:33

I dont believe it, when they say most ppl r happy, are the just talking about the Nintendo Employees.
    But as far as i can see most people wud love extra space, me being one of them.

Come on Ninty this isnt gd enough, listen to you gamers, who have been with you for a lot of years (some mounting up to all of the years) and give us a HD.
    It doesnt not complicate anythin, infact the current method is more complex as you have to delete, shop, download, play, delete, shop download....

that is one of the most annoying things about the Wii.

dont get me wrong I love Nintendo and The Wii, but with Wiiware coming out in next week and also Brawl on its way(Which i hear takes up a lot of space(and so it sud)) then a HD is a must, and wont be that expensive for u to create and mass produce.

10. punkmario Thursday 15th May 2008 at 12:37

ive had to delete about 5 games off my VC, in total avout 21 worth of stuff, i was horified to think that i paid 21 for what was essentially over priced crap compared to XBLA and PSN, and now i cant even use it because none of it would transfer to my SD card for some random reason, and i dont want to have to wait to download it all again!

this wii hard drive talk, yes people want an OPTIONAL HDD, xbox and PS3 both have ones why dont we, were still living in last gen, sd cards suck balls! i want a hard drive!!

11. DonkeyVoodoo Thursday 15th May 2008 at 12:40

If any Nintendo representatives read this and i doubt they will, I WANT THE ABILITY TO USE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE OR BE ABLE TO PLAY GAMES DIRECT FROM AN SD CARD.

What really annoys me is Nintendo's arrogance that they "believe" it's what they don't want.

12. Anonymous Thursday 15th May 2008 at 13:49

Obviously the Wii will be too complicated for people to use if extra memory is offered. That's people hate the SD card slot (sarcasm, by the way...) :x

Seriously, although Ninty is awesome, they can be REALLY BAD with their public relations (still waiting for my label to send my Wii off for repair, Nintendo!!!). :evil:

Once again, even though they had no part in this mess, I BLAME SONY FOR EVERYTHING!!! :D

13. john higgleton Thursday 15th May 2008 at 14:29

what they should do is a usb hardrive that plugs into the unused usb slots.

14. LuigiWare Thursday 15th May 2008 at 14:47

Aagh! Just give us a goddamn HD!
    It won't stop the Wii from being accessible!

15. TheRexFactor Thursday 15th May 2008 at 14:55

Why do they continuously deny us extra memory.

This is just an excuse so they can cover themselves.
    How do they actually know that people are happy? It's not like they go around everyone's house, knock on the door and ask. :?

I think they should do some kind of survey, then we'll see how people really feel

16. Anonymous Thursday 15th May 2008 at 14:56

how the heck will a hard drive make the wii less accessible. I fear Nintendo are using the five year old tactic that is 'selective hearing'!

17. johndfernley Thursday 15th May 2008 at 15:01

people who get confused when plugging in a hard drive can just forget about it and not get one! this sounds like a lame excuse to me

18. rc.doggz Thursday 15th May 2008 at 15:44

Nintendo Listen

WE - YOUR HARDCORE GAMERS - YOUR MOST PROFITABLE CUTOMERS WANT MEMORY.

if you do make the wii external usb hard drive compataiable then:

1) you can make profit just selling your own brand of external hard drive.

2) Gamers will buy more wiiware and vc games - MORE PROFIT

3) more people will choose the wii over ps3 and x360 because it has that compatability - MORE PROFIT

ITS A WIN WIN SITUATION

MAKE IT HAPPEN

19. rc.doggz Thursday 15th May 2008 at 15:44

Nintendo Listen

WE - YOUR HARDCORE GAMERS - YOUR MOST PROFITABLE CUTOMERS WANT MEMORY.

if you do make the wii external usb hard drive compataiable then:

1) you can make profit just selling your own brand of external hard drive.

2) Gamers will buy more wiiware and vc games - MORE PROFIT

ITS A WIN WIN SITUATION

MAKE IT HAPPEN

20. Sir Lemon Facey Thursday 15th May 2008 at 16:24

Maybe we should make a petition or summat leik dat. I can see where they're coming from, trying to avoid having the 'hardcore gaming' look so they can keep luring in their precious casual gamers, but to be honest, most casual gamers who decide "I might get that wavey white sports thing with the remote" are not even going to realise that there is so much depth for the more classic gamers and so won't be put off.

21. TeloRhys Thursday 15th May 2008 at 16:32

That's all fair and good, but...

Well, I'd personally love to have a greater internal memory on my Wii.

I download Virtual Console games fairly regularly, and it would be more convenient to be able to store more on the console itself.

There's also other factors to consider.

Games such at Guitar Hero III have downloadable extras and, being a pretty big fan of the series, I'd love to be able to use that feature. The Wii can't, because it doesn't have the internal memory to store the new data.

He says that he wouldn't want to overcomplicate things... then again, an external hard drive wouldn't be an essential purchase. If you don't want or need one... then you wouldn't have to buy one.

I also don't really see what's complicated about plugging a box into a USB port.

So, yeah. I'd be all for a memory increase. It may not be essential, but it would sure as hell be awesome.

22. Eu-boat Thursday 15th May 2008 at 17:07

omg....We or even ONM should start a petition and show nintendo that everyone wants a hard drive. Nintendo must think we're all retards.I can't see how buying a optional hard drive and plugging it in can be confusing!
    Nintendo just don't care about hardcore gamers anymore no matter what they say they are now concentrtating on the casual gamers even though us hardcore gamers stayed with them even when they were loosing the console wars.(gamecube)Sure we have mario galaxy and zelda but they have lost the challenge they used to have.The only thing right now that is keeping us going is the virtual console but now everyone has run out(or will run out) of space and nintendo won't do anything about it.
    What nintendo needs to do is start announcing some good hardcore games that are ONLY for hardcore gamers and release a optional hard drive else i can see all nintendo's gamers selling there wii's and buying another console.(like many are doing now!)

23. LordYoshiman Thursday 15th May 2008 at 17:44

I agree that their could be more space, but there is no way I will pay more than 10 for something that is just the lazy way out. You CAN delete Virtual Console games and download them again, free of charge. So in theory, the Wii has infinite storage space, it just takes a little bit longer.

24. Anonymous Thursday 15th May 2008 at 18:09

Headache. I'll give him a headache.

50 blocks or so of storage left and only five days before wii ware arrives.
    It will only hurt the people who make the games for wii ware and nintendos own VC service if they do NOTHING about the storage.

Pull your finger out Nintendo. Simple SD firmware update for now and then you could add a hard drive later. Give you time to make it White and embosed with a Wii logo.

25. metroid master Thursday 15th May 2008 at 18:25

i must agree with what most have said here.
    that this guy has no idea what most people want and that a HD would in no way make it more confusing.

Though at the moment my memory is fine i know that soon it will be running out, what with the large list of games i realy want to buy when i get the money and then theres the VC games that i'm intrested in and of course theres the wiiware games that are out soon

26. KingToAD Thursday 15th May 2008 at 18:31

Come on Nintendo, We simply need more storage and full sd support is the cheapest and simplist way forward.

Stop for a minute and think about your valued customers who have stuck with you through thick and thin and are asking for extra memory not just for fun but we want to spend more money and help further your success!

Even if you look at some kind of online storage channel for the VC/WW games it would be a step in the right direction.

27. wii_underworld Thursday 15th May 2008 at 18:50

.......
    What's wrong with just making it available for sale?

28. pow1983 Thursday 15th May 2008 at 19:18

Sorry Laurent Fischer, but you have got it so wrong.

His response overall was ambiguous.

One annoying thing is that ONM suggested "SD card" but his response was "Hard Drive". They are 2 very different things.

Secondly what is "most of the people". What does that equate to 10 people, 20000, 3000000? Considering everytime the Wii is sold they make a profit it seems stupid to not bring out such an option.

Finally to quote "I don't think". Have you bothered to ask any Wii owners Laurent?

I think they should ask this question on the "Everybody Votes Channel" lets see what the results are.

After that personally I think its petition time!

29. Gavin Rozee Thursday 15th May 2008 at 19:30

"I don't think" that "most people" want a fat guy telling them what they apparently want and don't want. Either way Fishy has no say on whether the storage situation is addressed, no one at lame NoE does (Thank god). Remember in ONM on the ask Nintendo bit someone enquired about a DS demo channel? and NoEs stupid PR man/woman said there are no plans as it wouldn't be fair to non DS owners? Few weeks later Everybodys Nintendo Channel was announced? NoE don't know jack.

Also, Fishy stated that they want their consoles to be easy to access. Ok. What about us gamers who want our paid-for games to be easy to access? Not hidden away on the shop channel server or hidden inside a data management menu? Easy to access? Not in the slightest.

30. dphoyes Thursday 15th May 2008 at 19:42

Having an ext. harddrive would complicate things?

The only reason people want to be able to play games from an SD card/external harddrive is to make it less complicated. I doubt they could make it more complicated than it currently is if they tried!

I do wonder though if it'd be any better if we were granted an ext. harddrive; surely we'd still have the nightmare of having to transfer games to and from the wii all the time? While I can see that it would require some alteration of the wii's firmware, it really would be useful if they found a way to let us play games directly from our SD card/ext. harddrive. How about having separate pages of channels for each storage location? Make it happen!

31. Psylark Thursday 15th May 2008 at 20:30

I've almost used every block of space on my Wii. I don't disagree with Nintendo for making a light, small console unlike the Xbox 360 and PS3. Makes it look neater. However, 512mb on my wii isn't enough - I want almost all the wiiware games coming out, but i wasted my memory on VC games, before I knew about them. SD cards are strange in the sense that you can't play games straight from the card.

32. chris0010 Thursday 15th May 2008 at 20:36

Sounds like nintendo's been living with its head up its ass if it thinks that most people don't have a problem with the memory storage space. You ask everyone on this site i bet at least 75% of them would want more space.

33. Tephilla Thursday 15th May 2008 at 21:31

What a load of rubbish! All adding an OPTIONAL HARD DRIVE would do is satisfy those who weren't happy with the service as it stands!

34. Gordon Ramsey Thursday 15th May 2008 at 21:33

Put SD card in, all Wii software on it is automatically loaded onto the Wii Menu. It's as simple as that. :?

35. mariosmum Thursday 15th May 2008 at 21:43

What morons would find using an SD card hard?
    Come on Nintendo, i know your making shed-loads of cash off that market, but real gamers want more from their wii.

36. stuarty Thursday 15th May 2008 at 21:58

yea they need to make it optional tis just stupid, wii won't be as accesible - how i ask i mean unless they think people won't no how to plug a simple isb / sd card in ther jus being plain dimwitted, honestly ninty u guys are idiots at this stuff. this is only Ninty forum i use and everday i seen a new person complaining about storage.

I urge Everyone to go to everybody votes channel and send in reccomended question
    Question - Do you think Nintendo Should give the Wii More Space?
    Answers - Yes/No

Please PM me to say your doing this for a count of how many people are doing it On My Sig

37. Bman7593 Thursday 15th May 2008 at 22:06

An extra hard drive would only be used say... "hardcore gamers" and these people, i doubt would mind using an external hard drive!!

38. jebbo Friday 16th May 2008 at 08:53

An HDD is an absolute necessity for most serious gamers. I havent yet got to the point of needing one having not downloaded huge amounts but wiiware is likely to change that and quickly (seeing as im just about to get a full time contract = disposable income...)
    It would also stop wii owners complaining about drawing the short straw for downloadable content, man am i annoyed i cant download on GH3 for example.

It would be so easy to implement, stick a disc in the box that updates the wii (or just update it normally)ready to use the HDD and incorporates the HDD on the memory management area. Then add a channel to the main menu for it so you can just select it and play the games on it. Bingo.

39. o32o Friday 16th May 2008 at 09:28

That is very silly. The people who enjoy the simplicity etc. would obviously just not buy a hard drive, but at least put the option there?!

40. cjayp33 Friday 16th May 2008 at 09:32

i agree this would be ideal and solove thier probelms. i have plenty of room on mine as i have not downaloed much, but i still feel this is wrong.

i think Nintendo are attracting new and non gamers which is what they wanted , but i think they are the people who nintendo think about most before, us hard core or loyal fans. alhough they have not forgotten us (zelda, mario ect) but i do feel it is more a 6, 40% split with us being the 40%.

Nintendo musty be stupid, as there is usally one gamer in a family, so when there is new gamers in the house, us the old gamers can explain it to the new gamers, g. our mum so that they would understand.

41. Rococo Friday 16th May 2008 at 11:08

Mondo ridiculoso dude! How can it be simpler to download loads of games, run out of space, store them on an SD card, then everytime you want to play a game from the SD card you have to move it back again, but if you don't have enough space for said game you have to move some others to the SD card... or you could have the hassle task of deleting them and download them again later, wich wouldn't be that terrible if most of the people didn't have limits on their broadband, but for those who have it means spending precious megabites downloading the same file over and over again, and even for those with unlimited broadband it doesn't mean instant play, it means going to the shop channel and search for the game to download it again. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to, if not a hard drive, at least being able to load them straight from the SD card? Is not only WiiWare, it's also Virtual Console and channels and game saves. Nintendo better think about it if they don't want their console to be featured in a "Angry Video Game Nerd" video in like, 20 years... "What were they thinking?!"

42. x-man2000 Friday 16th May 2008 at 12:09

The only headache I've got is from facepalming as I read the article. Seriously, I haven't run out of space yet, but I can see that changing when Wiiware comes out, so why the hell shouldn't there be a hard drive? They say it would be too complicated for the majority of the Wii's audience, but I imagine that figuring out how to use it would be a hell of a lot more fun than transferring save data and games onto an SD card or redownloading them.

43. Polysics_2004 Friday 16th May 2008 at 13:04

Someone get this man a medal, he's officially insane!

44. Anonymous Friday 16th May 2008 at 14:06

Several people have said about starting a petition. Well, I have. You can find it under the Wii section in the forum. Take part in the poll and leave your comments. We need as many comments/votes as possible!!!

The title of the petition (in case you want to do a search) is:
    Petition for Extra Memory - ONM TEAM & EVERYONE READ!!!

45. Anonymous Friday 16th May 2008 at 14:13

:!: I've got an idea...

What about a firmware update that allows the Wii to pick up external memory devices? Whether it's a 5GB USB stick or 500GB HDD, you can have whatever the hell you want! And it wont cost nintendo a penny!!!

46. Tommson Friday 16th May 2008 at 15:16

What is so difficult about a HDD???

Same ^

I wont be getting any Wii Ware games then by the looks of things.
    That article was filled with too much crap, nintendo are so money hungry right now.

47. Poke-J Friday 16th May 2008 at 16:59

What!? Simple, SIMPLE!!!! THATS YOUR EXCUSE!!! :x

48. greebo2001 Friday 16th May 2008 at 18:49

As has been mentioned before, who are these "People" lucky enough to be asked if they wanted a hard drive or not? What is this guy basing his facts on? An optional hard drive would be great. Then those people who are too stupid and would find it "confusing" wouldn't have to buy it. Looks like it's Nintendo are the confused ones.
    ^..^

49. gamepopper101 Friday 16th May 2008 at 19:08

So what if a hard drive doesn't make the Wii simple. You could say it's just an optional add-on for anyone to get more games on a Wii. NINTENDO, HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE HARDCORE GAMER!?

50. geiza_dobashi Friday 16th May 2008 at 20:38

i think Nintendo are just worried about piracy issue's. AS that will cost them more.....
    But we do need more blinkin room.. Though we all now it'll never happen.

51. Ubahquiet Friday 16th May 2008 at 20:39

Come on, Ninty. It's just a box. A box that could please many a gamer. You could have it ordered like the Wiimote Jackets. Only, it would have to be paid for.

Come on, a few gigabytes are all we're asking for. If you want us to experience VC and Wiiware, and all the games made of pure win coming out, then give us something to store our memory on.

Or make it so that you can load directly from SD cards. Just do it, it's not that hard. You got a USB keyboard working, then why not make it possible to load directly from SD cards? It's sorta like loading from memory cards on the GC. Sorta.

52. nightmareofkaito Friday 16th May 2008 at 20:46

I agree with the point the nintendo hq rep brought up for many people e.g. me and all my friends that own wii's memory is not a problem I personaly have only taken up just over half of the memory. But if your wii games take up a lot of memory and your downloading a lot of the vc games and some of the channels I can see how memory can be a problem and I see your point. So in conclusion I think that nintendo should look into an easy to use and accsesable hard drive for the wii just because of the ammount of memmory ceartain programmes take up e.g.the internet browser and other channels and according to nintendo hardcore gamers do not exsist.

53. wiikii007 Friday 16th May 2008 at 21:07

A hardrive is not nessessery. However, i still find it a bit silly you can not run vc games and the like off SD cards...Why not!

54. Gavin Rozee Saturday 17th May 2008 at 00:46

In my opinion, releasing an O.P.T.I.O.N.A.L hard drive and/or enabling proper 21st century SD card compatibility (ie - channels accessible DIRECTLY from SD card) is far less complicated than things such as Nintendos "Pay to Play" logo. I've read far too many comments on various websites/forums of people thinking it means you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to play certain games embossed with said logo, such as Final Fantasy CC : MLaaK.

55. dizzy boy Saturday 17th May 2008 at 08:48

:!: I've got an idea...

my thought`s exactly. the only cost to nintendo though, would be to pay somebody to do the firmware program. then everything else is taken care, because there are so many 3rd party memory devices available, nintendo wouldn`t even have to make a hd drive. just as long as the downloaded stuff can play straight from the device, that`s all anybody want`s.
    i just really want to know why that since satoru iwata took over as president of nintendo, why is it that the first console to be developed under his time as president, fails so much in so many areas? and why the company`s stance on many things have changed for the worst? hiroshi yamuchi must have been nuts to hand over the company to somebody who doesn`t have clue.

56. gamer64 Saturday 17th May 2008 at 08:55

I totally agree with what all of you are saying right now. The Wii needs more space. 512 megabyte hard drives is old technology, from the likes of the 1980's. even the DS cards hold more than that! I, for one, haven't had any problems with the Wii's memory as of yet, because i haven't got any VC games and the like. However, i only have about 1000 blocks left. I think that nintendo should give us a 6gb hard drive AT LEAST. It's not too much to ask, is it? But i think what it is, is if we ran things from an external HD/SD, then there would be ways to pirate/homebrew games. And nintendo really don't want it. But, like any console, there are already ways and means of getting these sort of things on the wii already. Such as the Twilight Princess hack.

Also, if nintendo "knows" that we don't want one, how DOES it know? Who did it ask? They didn't ask any of us, for sure! I have been concerned about the lack of wii memory since they announced it, but the fact that nintendo aren't willing to do anything about it really takes the biscuit, and I really think it's about time we did something about this, so i managed to obtain the E-mail address of nintedo's marketing. I, for one, will be writing to them, and i hope we can all join together and beg nintendo for bigger memory.

I'm not sure wether i am allowed to do this, but since it is displayed on their website, i'l put it here anyway. marketingenquiries@nintendo.co.uk

57. MilkyBarKid Saturday 17th May 2008 at 08:57

Fine. I propose we all boycott wiiware until we are given ample space to store games...

58. ReeceH Saturday 17th May 2008 at 10:04

Oh for goodness sake! The Wii is simple enough! Is this "new audience" that stupid they can't work a hard drive?

I'm sorry, but it's no excuse. I've been gaming since I was 4 and I've never found any gaming system, games or attachments too complicated. It's not like its complicated anyway, its just a storage tool.

Its not like Nintendo would force you to buy one either. It just an option, and I disagree with the statement of the majority of Wii owners not wanting more space.

Please Nintendo, sort it out.

59. ReeceH Saturday 17th May 2008 at 10:10

I'm with you mate, we've got to do something about this. I too will ask them for more memory. Maybe you should start a topic in the forum to get the word across?

60. gamer64 Saturday 17th May 2008 at 10:25

I'm on it right away, squire!

61. Jedi_jester Saturday 17th May 2008 at 11:03

Why cant they just send out a questionnaire to us Wii users and see what we think? Its the easiest solution. If they get enough responses they can take it from there.

They could ask if people are:
    a) Happy with the amount of storage.
    b) Would like more storage.

Then ask how they could go about this.
    a) Ability to use bigger SD cards and run VC and WiiWare games off them.
    b) Ability to use external USB Hard drive for more storage.
    c) Ability to use USB flash drives for backup.
    d) All of the above.

I don't see how thats to hard for them to do.

62. tomrutters Saturday 17th May 2008 at 11:22

Why might most people be happy with the current amount of storage? Oh yes, that's because they're casual gamers - but you don't believe in those, do you, Mr Fischer? These Wii owners buy very few games and download very little content and make up the biggest proportion of Wii owners. Those of us who fill your pockets with cash nearly every month expect to be acknowledged, and rightly so, considering we are the ones who spend the most money on your products. Your arrogance irritates me greatly.

63. dizzy boy Saturday 17th May 2008 at 14:04

the only people who would really need 512mb are the people who don`t have their wii`s online. so the only things getting stored on the memory are wii game saves. which i`m sure is the minority of wii owners.
    everybody else who has there wii`s online are the one`s buying VC games and soon the WW games aswell.
    the delete it, redownload it later part of buying VC games is obsured. nobody wants to keep on shifting games around from one thing to the other, because it`s a major inconvenience, there`s no other way of putting it.
    i`ve seen 2gig micro SD cards for sale, i`m sure nintendo could use something like that for intenrnal memory. that would improve the situation if they had a a few of them set up inside the wii.

64. Charlie Bell Saturday 17th May 2008 at 14:33

How do you 'work' a hard drive anyway?? It just goes.

Somehow i fail to see the logic that proper storage space would be confusing for dummies, but transferring games back and forwards between a stupid SD card is perfectly simple and fine.

65. LightSamus Saturday 17th May 2008 at 15:08

what utter stupidness. Problems my butt. Ninty are just be stupid.

66. CYBORGchimpish Saturday 17th May 2008 at 18:28

What an arsehole.

67. bobsy22 Saturday 17th May 2008 at 18:31

Surely they could release a hard drive or enable connectivity with 3rd party one, release an optional download via the wii shop, if the wii doesn't have the facility to read external hard drives. This also opens up the possibilitys of downloadable content (like extra tracks for Guitar Hero 3), so we might start seeing dedicated wii versions of multi format games more often, rather than PS2 convertions?

Come on Nintendo sort it out
    Maybe ONM could have a petition?

68. lattywatty Saturday 17th May 2008 at 20:41

How on earth would it makes the Wii "less accessable" what a load of bulls**t! Basically, they're saying they're too lazy. I save most of my VC games on an SD card now which takes AGES transferring them back and forward. With WiiWare coming out next week... *sigh* I'm just singing the same old song as everyone here...

SORT IT OUT NINTENDO!

69. Kirby8 Sunday 18th May 2008 at 02:15

I'm am going to try to say this in the nicest way possible!! This guy is DUMB!!!! COME ON MAN!! I think the optional external hard drive would work!! Or they could make an update so somehow the console could read saved data from the SD when looking for saved data for the game being played!! If not SD then why not USB!!! You did it for the keyboard!!

It won't ruin the simplicity of the console!!! It would make it simpler as you won't have to keep moving items back and forth!! Right now I have between 800 and 900 blocks left and I don't want to download any more VC games as they are quite large! I tried to move a VC game once to my SD and it took about 2-3 mins!! That takes the p**s! And I'm not downloading the games again when I feel like playing it!! that would take longer!!

COME ON NINTENDO!! You have WiiWare coming out and SSBB!! ME NEED MEMORY IF YOU WANT US TO BUY THEM!! HAHAHAHAHA OHHHH here's a funny thought, you could get back GAMECUBE MEMORY CARDS and let the Wii games read them!!! Go back to the good old days when we used memory cards!! YOU BETTER DECIDE NINTENDO!! These are your options. SORT IT OUT QUICK!!!

70. THOLDEN Sunday 18th May 2008 at 08:21

How can Nintendo say that there is enough space on the Wii Memory?? You read that they are having so many complaints about Wii Memory and they they try and say there is enough. They need to find some way to make more storage apart from an SD Card. I dont think they thought VC Games would be as popular as they are.

71. Samus Sunday 18th May 2008 at 10:25

Nintendo want their consoles to be easy and accessible to everyone without causing trouble. They do that by offering a simple interface to allow casual gamers to play.

Yet they are unwilling to make the Wii "easy and accessible" to hardcore gamers by not offering extra storage space. This problem doesn't directly affect me, I still have a few hundred blocks left but I'm guaranteed to run out of space soon.

72. Zabba 2 Sunday 18th May 2008 at 11:38

Thats the completely wrong attitude. I was under the impression most people weren't happy with the amount of space. I really don't see how adding a hard drive could make things any more complicated than the current system of having to move games/saves repeatedly to and from the SD card.

They're making it out as if releasing an external HD will suddenly make it compulsory for all Wii owners, when obviously it'll be optional. So if people don't want the "complications" of an external hard drive, then they simply don't buy it. By the looks of it, Nintendo, strangely, don't seemed to have realised that.

I'm disappointed that they are reluctant to make things more convienient for gamers, for the sake of, what is really an insignificant level of simplicity.

73. Anonymous Sunday 18th May 2008 at 11:51

What makes me laugh is that the Wii already has some kind of technology to run files directly from an SD card to the wii, think of the pictures you can view and the music you can listen to from your SD card on the photo channel. What would be the difference from running games directly from an SD card? The only thing that Nintendo would need to do is make an update to transfer larger files directly from the SD card.

I see no problem with making an external hard drive either. That way you can save all your data to your hard drive and play it on somebody elses wii like the 360 does instead of having to carry the console with you to your friends place.

This guy is an utter prat

74. muttee Sunday 18th May 2008 at 12:32

Can I just point out the glaringly obvious flaw in this gentlemans argument that Nintendo do not believe any further memory is needed. If you look at the channels on the Wii menu you will see page after page of empty channels. No doubt these are to be used for new content as they have been in Japan but I cannot see how it would be possible to fill even half of these without some kind of memory expansion. Is this something that Ninty originally thought of before settling for 512mbs? Why have all these potential channels and no memory to use them???

75. Babaloo Sunday 18th May 2008 at 12:32

I got FF:CC My Life as a King with all the expansions and it took up like 300 blocks, which was 1/3 of my free space. I also got Defend Your Castle, which took it down even more, and if I want to get any future games, well, that isn't going to happen.

Lol, I just realised, the Wii has like 1500 blocks but my SD card has over 6000 which is 2GB. What I'm saying is that it's a micro SD Card put into an adapter which can then fit into my Wii, has more space than the flash drive of the Wii. I understand that it would be expensive for a hardrive which is flash to have like 16GB (Look at the iPod Touch), but making an external hardrive would be much easier. Hopefully Nintendo realise how stupid this is and make an external hardrive for the Wii, because I don't want to store everything on my SD Card, seeing as it's used for more than slotting it in the front of my Wii to look at pictures.

One problem with streaming games off your SD Card is that if you had a bad quality SD Card, it could break due to overuse or it could be slow and run your games with a bit of lag. If Nintendo want WiiWare to become like the Xbox360's Xbox Live Arcade, they're going to need to do something about this "Space Crisis" before people start spamming Nintendo with hate-mail and complaints, and not to forget on Forums aswell.

The guy talking "Saying most people are happy with the space" is an idiot. He clearly hasn't downloaded a WiiWare game to see how much space they take up.

76. gamer64 Sunday 18th May 2008 at 16:10

They could ask if people are:
    a) Happy with the amount of storage.
    b) Would like more storage.

Then ask how they could go about this.
    a) Ability to use bigger SD cards and run VC and WiiWare games off them.
    b) Ability to use external USB Hard drive for more storage.
    c) Ability to use USB flash drives for backup.
    d) All of the above.

I don't see how thats to hard for them to do.

Why don't they use the Everybody Votes Channel to some good use for once, and ask the users what they want? Only seems logical to me...

77. ChaosControl Sunday 18th May 2008 at 16:13

I'm doing just fine with the amount of memory I have already. I think once Wii Software comes I'll need an SD card, but I don't mind. In fact I think I'd rather keep the Wii Software titles seperate from my VC ones.

78. FireHawk Monday 19th May 2008 at 10:12

I wasn't aware that most people were happy with the current storage space, as I've been hearing otherwise. Can Nintendo back that up? Who did they ask? Because I sure didn't hear anything from them.

Personally, I only have three VC games, and I'm very reluctant to download any more (or even any Wii Software games when that's out), since I'll run out of space quickly, and I don't particularly want to mess about with SD cards if the games don't run directly off them.

I don't quite see what the problem is with allowing games to run directly off the SD cards or releasing a hard drive or something like that.

Come on, Nintendo. Sort it out. You want us to download VC and Wii Software games? Then give us the space to put them on!

79. Blend3r Monday 19th May 2008 at 10:21

if this idiot is so sure almost everyone is happy with the storage space then why dont they let us decide? ask the question on the everybody votes channel, bout time some decent questions were on it.

80. GlobboTwilight Monday 19th May 2008 at 13:48

People accuse the Wii of being last-gen

Refusing to add a hard drive isnt gonna help make this rumour die down

Sort it out Nintendo!

81. slangman Monday 19th May 2008 at 15:20

I can see why NOE said that having extra memory in the Wii can be complex for casual users but for die hard fans of the VC and espically Wiiware/Wii Software this is a big problem since most of those games take loads of room.

Its going to become a problem for me soon since i have only about 370 blocks left and i plan on downloading some TurboDuo and NEO GEO from the VC which take about at least 200 blocks each and i don't want to keep deleting my games and transfering them to my SD card all the time. And re-downloading games wont work for me since i rarely get my Wii online.

So i hope nintendo solves this problem soon.

82. Murphy from LLC Tuesday 20th May 2008 at 05:44

I do understand why they are reluctant to let VC games and channels to boot from the SD slot, as it would open the door to piracy, but surely they have the technological knowledge to digitally protect their software?

For example, Itunes tracks are protected to only run on Itunes software that is approved to run it on. Surely they could do something similar?

Then, a HD is not so needed, and makes use of an otherwise redundant feature.

83. luigirules Tuesday 20th May 2008 at 08:45

Having just gone on to wiiware (which is great :D ) It has told me i need to delete games to fit the new ones on.
    Thanks to not having memory i have had to do this and delete some wii channels like the mii contest channel etc just to fit 2 wiiware games. Its incredibly sad that Nintendo thinks most people are happy.

84. Digikid Tuesday 20th May 2008 at 16:01

Well i think memory could be a large issue in the future.

Personally I think nintendo should sell more of their SD Cards as i cant find them anywhere.
    Also it would be good if you could use a USB Memory Stick to save you files on or put photos on (from pokemon ranch for example).

85. Kira773 Tuesday 20th May 2008 at 19:44

carnt they update the wii to let a usb stick act as a harddrive

86. Stray Wednesday 21st May 2008 at 18:37

can someone tell me what the hell is going on with nintendo's attitude to the wii shop?!
    i know this topic is about storage on the wii but its all tied in with the fact that they seem to have ignored some pretty big customer ....advice.
    The one I'm having trouble lately with is the storage, I have downloaded a lot lately and its really annoying when you run out of space. And as said so many times on this, how hard is it to create a patch onto the firmware to allow a nintendo wii Hd add-on. We get what we want and they get lots of cash for pretty much nothing. With the amount of programmers nintendo must have working on the wii surely they can make a fix in next to no time.
    Another thing is the choice of VC games, surely nintendo know the demarnd for certain games from their archives. Yet they keep bringing out games that may have been popular in their day have not really that well known to new or newish gamers. How ever I will retracked this if they are trying to upgrade them like they did with Pokemon Snap.
    My last little rant is why the hell do wii points cards need a dvd case, an instruction booklet and a card CD! and why do they put so few on the site for star point trade.
    Sorry for going off track a bit but it just lead off from each other.

87. Team XD Sunday 25th May 2008 at 07:27

Being fairly new to Wii and it's games and briefly reading through the four pages here in....am I picking this up right..you can't download VC Or WW games diret to an SD card after filling up the internal drive? also..what do you do if after downloading VC and WW games, what happens if you system goes t*ts up...how do you go about retrieving that stuff?

88. Mama Luigi Sunday 25th May 2008 at 17:20

"We want our consoles to be easy to access and not to cause headaches"

The fact that there isn't a hard drive available for the Wii makes it harder to access and causes lots of headaches. Simply making a hard drive optional would be a good idea. Nintendo are just being stubborn. I doubt I'll even have enough room for any Wii Software games at this rate.

89. Zio144 Monday 26th May 2008 at 11:43

:twisted: I only have 2 blocks of memory left on my wii, I used up the last of it downloading ffccmlaak. The wii needs a lot more memory or else it will fall behind the ps3 and 360 and if it gets worse then it would end up falling behind the pc as well! Nintendo need to pull there finger out of there ass and do something about it!

90. rolinfunder9 Monday 26th May 2008 at 22:20

Nintendo Listen

WE - YOUR HARDCORE GAMERS - YOUR MOST PROFITABLE CUTOMERS WANT MEMORY.

if you do make the wii external usb hard drive compataiable then:

1) you can make profit just selling your own brand of external hard drive.

2) Gamers will buy more wiiware and vc games - MORE PROFIT

ITS A WIN WIN SITUATION

MAKE IT HAPPEN

thats te problem tho m8, we r nt the most profitable now they have extended the wii to kids nd families, they dnt seem 2 care bout us. there hasnt been a hard wii game in ages! thats y we're not getting the hd

91. rolinfunder9 Monday 26th May 2008 at 22:25

wat happens is you down load the stuff to your wii, then copy it onto your sd card. if ur system goes t*ts up, there is a record on your wii connection tht tells nintendo thru binary or watvevr that youve already payed 4 it, so u can donload it again for free, problem is that i it does go wrong, then it takes quite a while to redownload games, specially longer games like ocarina of time. Im not sure if it breaks down if u lose ur saved data, cos that cud be a major problem......

92. AspieMum Tuesday 28th Apr 2009 at 10:33

We have 4 people using one Wii and the ability to download stuff to the SD card recently added has been a great help. We are almost out of space on the Wii itself.

If we could save the game data on the SD card this would be a great help too as well as enabling each of us to have our own memory card like we do for Gamecube games.