10 things you must do on your Wii U

Just got a Wii U for Christmas? How to get the most from your new machine

Did you get a Wii U for Christmas? If you were lucky enough to unwrap a big Wii U shaped parcel, you'll be discovering cool new secrets about your new console well into the new year, but here are 10 little gems to get you started.

If you want more, we've got 15 other gems in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine but, for now, these are the best things you can do with your Wii U. Want to know which games you should buy for your Wii U? Read our best Wii U games feature.

1. Play some games in bed

It may have seemed like a gimmick at first but the Wii U's ability to stream a picture to the GamePad means you can shift your session to the bedroom whenever you like. Not all games support this option (for example, ZombiU requires both the GamePad and the TV screen at all times), but games such as New Super Mario Bros. U, Call Of Duty, Assassin's Creed III and Batman: Arkham City allow the action to switch to the GamePad at any time. Of course, it's not just games that can be enjoyed in bed. You've also got the internet and the Miiverse to get lost in, too. Oh, and our lovely website of course, durr! iPad, shmipad...the Wii U is where it's at from here on in.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. JoeOdranDoran Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 14:05

My toilet is quite near my living room, so my number 1 thing to try will be playing Nintendo Land whilst on the John.

I'm so close to the dream of all gamers everywhere!

2. Komodo_Wolfgang Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 17:54

Hmm makes me want a WiiU more..

Sadly thought, My sister stomped on my 3DS mid argument last week =/

Got Mario Kart 7 for it today too T-T

3. torterratrainer Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 18:10

Hmm makes me want a WiiU more..

Sadly thought, My sister stomped on my 3DS mid argument last week =/

Got Mario Kart 7 for it today too T-T

i swear you posted that on another article... with the same smiley.....oh well

i just played NSMBU today! :) (Never let your sister do the fortress level on layer cake desert - its a 1up black hole)
    need some friends though because miiverse is a lonely affair.

4. LavaTwilight Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 19:08

I'll add you to MiiVerse! "LavaTwilight"

5. Kirby8 Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 19:09

Surely the first should be "update". =P

6. tohaker Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 19:36

I don't really the see the HD when playing Xenoblade Chronicles... it just looks as fuzzy as it did before on the Wii (and YES I am streaming though the HDMI cable).

7. Waldy565 Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 20:21

aahh, I beat ya to the Legends demo, played it at my local GAME... Well, I dunno bout you guys, but my Nan wants to play a game when she comes over tomorrow... something smells to me like an MK sesh hehe!

8. jaco_p Tuesday 25th Dec 2012 at 22:38

Hmm makes me want a WiiU more..

Sadly thought, My sister stomped on my 3DS mid argument last week =/

Got Mario Kart 7 for it today too T-T

i swear you posted that on another article... with the same smiley.....oh well

need some friends though because miiverse is a lonely affair.

Yes he definitely did. Stomp whining about it, get your sis to buy a new one if she did it???

9. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 26th Dec 2012 at 11:16

I'm so close to the dream of all gamers everywhere!

Funnily enough, it's my Number One and Number Two to do when I get my Wii U.

10. Dertdood Wednesday 26th Dec 2012 at 11:28

"Trine 2 is a good example of a great game that wouldn't exist without a download platform like the Nintendo eShop"

It's been out on Steam for about a year

11. CaptainSnivy Wednesday 26th Dec 2012 at 13:55

In fact, I'm making this post right now on the Wii U. I got one yesterday, and I adore it. I love how it isn't just about the games - I love how I can go on the internet and/or YouTube flawlessly, as I don't have an iPhone or anything.

12. ThePokekid78 Wednesday 26th Dec 2012 at 14:40

Lol I was given an IOU for a Wii U, as there are no games that interest me out yet...roll on E3!

13. JAYMCK2103 Thursday 27th Dec 2012 at 00:25

Why is chandra's mii orange on the user selection screen? On my wii u my mii is blue with a Nintendo network logo?

14. Ganonsmurf Thursday 27th Dec 2012 at 18:12

Interesting, might try the wii games in HD thing. Does anyone know if wii games can be played with the gamepad, or do you have to use wii remotes? Also, my NNID is Ganonsmurf if anyone wants to add me

15. torterratrainer Thursday 27th Dec 2012 at 18:54

i swear you posted that on another article... with the same smiley.....oh well

need some friends though because miiverse is a lonely affair.

ouch....

16. 3DSRulesO.K Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 19:39

It's been out on Steam for about a year

Which is why they said like, they were talking about indie games being downloadable.

17. Combusken Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 03:04

I wonder what Animal Crossing: Let's Go To City looks like in HD and if the game works with the Wii U Gamepad since the game could only be played with the Wii-Mote with the Wii.

18. Knightendo Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 14:32

While I agree with the article on the site and in the mag that the internet browser is indeed a huge improvement and a joy to use, the comment about Apple was a bit uncalled for. Flash is outdated and has been for a while and iOS is fully HTML 5 compatible too. In fact videos that don't play on the iPad also don't play on the Wii U. However, in this day and age it's once in a blue moon I'll come across content that doesn't work right on the iPad and that's just laziness on the particular website's part as they're not up to date themselves. Same with Wii U, there'll be very little that doesn't work, but there was no need for the comment as iOS is HTML 5 compatible too.

I love my new Wii U, but the iPad is my mobile gaming platform of choice, and that's after years of owning DSs, but I sold my 3DS after a few weeks as the 3D stopped working for my eyes :S (and don't even get me started on that price drop afterwards) but even so, my iPad has completely replaced my DS... but then again it's replaced my laptop and desktop too lol! Don't get me wrong though, love Nintendo and after not having a home console for over a year and playing just on the 'Pad, it took the Wii U to bring me back to the fold :) and I'm loving it!