Nintendo Land originally featured Star Fox and Excitebike games

What became of the Star Fox game?

Nintendo Land director Yoshikazu Yamashita has revealed that the attraction that became Metroid Blast was originally a Star Fox game.

What's more, Donkey Kong's Crash Course started out as an Excitebike prototype.

Speaking with Famitsu, Yamashita said: "Generally it was easy to match the gameplay from the prototypes with one series or another. For example, a game with air and ground battles works well with Metroid.

"There was a time when Metroid Blast was going to be a Star Fox title, but the prototype featured this vehicle that hovered around like a helicopter and we figured that'd never be a good match for an Arwing."

In the same interview, it was also revealed that both Excitebike and 1080 Snowboarding games were prototypes for the attraction that eventually became Donkey Kong's Crash Course.

We can see Excitebike working as a Donkey Kong's Crash Course-style game.

[ Source: Polygon ]

Comments

1. Slinkington Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 11:26

Not being a fan of Star Fox, I'm so glad it became a Metroid attraction in stead. Having said that, Star Fox is one of Nintendo's big-ish titles, so it's a shame to see that it didn't make it in there somewhere. I'm even more surprised that Kirby is sitting it out, too.

2. shy guy 64 Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 12:50

interesting

3. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 13:12

Future DLC of Excitebike,and Star Fox would be nice.

4. Kirby8 Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 13:17

Agree. I'm surprised there was no Star Fox or Kirby. I love Kirby as well. He's always the forgotten one. I think, if they have more ideas, they should definitely make a NintendoLand 2. I would definitely buy it!

5. Mew3 Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 15:33

Why didn't they have a pokemon game? They could've done something like pokemon snap or a fighting game where you control how the pokemon moves instead of pressing buttons.

6. 3DSRulesO.K Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 17:27

Good to know that they at least thought about a Star Fox one, but I am shocked that Nintendo remembers 1080 Snowboarding, yet there hasn't been a new one for years!

7. MistaChristopher Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 19:30

Well Kirby and Pokemon didn't have attractions since they're owned by Hal Lab and Game Freak respectively, Nintendo don't actually own them. They're in Smash Bros though which I don't get lol. But yeah Star Fox as well as other IPs shoulda been in this game in-stead of having like 4 Mario attraction they could've spread them out. Metroid Blast woulda been better as Star Fox I reckon anyway. It's also very surprising they mentioned 1080 Snowboarding haha.

8. shy guy 64 Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 19:41

pokemon is owned by nintendo, game freak and creatures

and im fairly certain kirby is owned by nintendo and hal lab

9. wiill 64 Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 20:03

Nice to see 1080 Snowboarding get a mention from Nintendo.

10. BattleGooseUK Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 21:12

It will be great if Nintendo Land expands with DLC, new content would really keep this game feeling deep and fresh. Seeings as there are so many IPs left to include there is no end of content that could be included providing the imagination is there.

11. Waldy565 Wednesday 12th Dec 2012 at 22:15

could have easily tweaked to make a star fox game - :( Agree with DK attraction, loved Excitebike from the moment I played it (8-10 yrs ago, on my GBA... AAHH NOSTALGIA, HOW I LOVE THEE)

12. wghtmf Thursday 13th Dec 2012 at 09:46

That actually seems quite likely, going by Wii Sports Resort and Wii Play Motion. I ? Kirby!

13. King-X Thursday 13th Dec 2012 at 10:31

I thought it was a bit odd that some of the music from Metroid Blast is surprisingly well suited to Star Fox.

14. wilrc6 Thursday 13th Dec 2012 at 19:01

HAL Labs is a subsidiary of Nintendo, making the Kirby franchise if not wholly but partly owned by Nintendo.

Pokemon is owned by Nintendo and developed by GameFreak.

15. harrywoodward Sunday 16th Dec 2012 at 14:39

speaking of star fox wheres my new star fox game :evil: