Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Smash Bros Wii U will be worth waiting for - Sakurai

Masahiro Sakurai cuts down on Twitter to put his all into Smash Bros

Masahiro Sakurai is ready to put everything into Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS to ensure that the wait will be worth it. Writing in his Famitsu column, the Smash Bros creator said that he has cut down on Twitter and it would be best if gamers forgot about him as he makes what is arguably most eagerly anticipated Wii U game.

At the start of 2012, Sakurai said that fans would have to wait for Smash Bros Wii U and the message hasn't changed. "To put it succinctly, I'll need to have you guys wait a while longer," Sakurai reiterated in his column. "I hardly ever write anything on Twitter any longer, and that's because I think right now is the time to stop tweeting and start putting in a real effort here. If I could put it a really harsh way, I think it'd be better if I could be forgotten by gamers for a while."

Click to view larger image
Sakurai added that his Twitter posts had led to unwanted speculation about the new Wii U game. "I don't like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around. For example, when I tweet about playing some game, some people immediately get the idea that that character is in the new Smash Bros. Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it's really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits.

The message is clear. Don't expect to hear anything about Smash Bros Wii U soon. "Instead of talking about what Smash Bros. will be like, I'm just going to say 'I'm making you wait for it!' and keep going along. I want to put my all into a full-on launch that really makes that wait worth it."

Of course, Sakurai kept us waiting for Kid Icarus: Uprising but it was worth it, so we're prepared to be patient. Are you?

[ Source: Polygon ]

Comments

12 comments so far...
Add a comment

  1. Oxo64 Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 09:08

    I can't imagine the kind of pressure Sakurai is under when creating another Smash Bros. yet he always manages to deliver.

  2. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 09:09

    i totally agree with him and all good thing's come 2 those who wait

  3. Slinkington Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 10:03

    People get way too excited over Smash Bros. People seriously need to calm down, lower their expectations as they're sky high. I feel sorry for Sakurai.

  4. lminett Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 10:20

    Honestly, i think he knows that theres going to be a lot of hard work on trying to make a more fleshed out single player this time round, and a better online that works, but I'm not worried in the slightest, all 3 games have been stellar so far

  5. shy guy 64 Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 10:30

    thats fair enough

    plus we knew it was going to be a while any way

  6. Cidiyance Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 12:30

    Ok good bye!

  7. MartinIsAwesome Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 13:04

    To me, it's not having to wait that's the problem. It's the amount of effort that goes into stopping myself from baseless speculations and day-dreaming about it, going as far as to select a move list for any potential new character I've imagined.
    But I will endeavour to block Smash Bros 4 out of my mind until at least E3 2014.

  8. ThePokekid78 Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 17:58

    Well, look at this way: at least we won't be waiting for 19 years like we did with Kid Icarus...

  9. MistaChristopher Friday 14th Dec 2012 at 23:58

    This annoys me, why tell us to wait and stuff when the game was revealed so prematurely. It just makes the wait longer, might as well just have said nothing for now.

  10. Trilink Saturday 15th Dec 2012 at 15:14

    Im as excited as anyone for the next Smash Bros but I think we need to seriously cut Sakurai and his teams a break. The next Smash Bros was announced in 2011 where it had only just been agreed between Iwata and Sakurai to make the game. Sakurai was shocked that Iwata announced it at E3, because they were only working on Kid Icarus at the time. We can assume once Kid Icarus came out (Mar 2012) he had a couple weeks of holiday. So realistically hes only been working on the next Smash Bros for about 6months. I agree with Sakruai, fans really need to stop speculating about Smash Bros for a while at the very least until we see a trailer for it, which i guesstimate to be E3 2014. The amount of pressure Sakurai and his teams are under to create not one but two Smash Bros games must be immense, and personally i feel the longer they take, the better the outcome will be. Im more than happy to wait for the next smash bros, and i really think alot of the other Smash Bros fans out there need to become more patient because we know Sakurai wont let us down, just look at Brawl or Kid Icarus and tell me otherwise.

  11. GamerGuyN Saturday 15th Dec 2012 at 16:24

    I can wait a little but don't u guyz remember when they said that his studio closed... what will happen after this one?

  12. TenTen Saturday 15th Dec 2012 at 17:18

    I can wait a little but don't u guyz remember when they said that his studio closed... what will happen after this one?


    Project Sora closed down, which was just the team responsible for Kid Icarus Uprising. It was always meant to close down. It doesn't effect SSB4 in any way

Register or log in to commment
Add a comment
Nintendo Co., Ltd. is the owner of certain copyright which subsists and trade marks and other intellectual property rights in certain content, characters, artwork, logos, scripts and representations used in this publication. All rights are expressly recognised and they are used by Future Publishing Limited under licence © 2006 Nintendo Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. "Nintendo", "International Nintendo Licensed Product" "Nintendo DS", "Nintendo DS Lite", "Nintendo DSi", "Nintendo 3DS", "Nintendo DSi XL", "Nintendo 3DS XL", "Wii" and "Wii U" and the associated logos are the trademarks of Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.