Best Wii U games of 2013

What Wii U games we're most looking forward to

With 24 games released in one day, the Wii U launch has to be one of Nintendo's best ever but what's next? Thankfully, Nintendo look set to continue the momentum with some more great Wii U games in 2013. Here is our top ten most wanted...

Before we start, we've only included games that are confirmed for release in 2013. So while we know that Nintendo are working on Smash Bros Wii U, plus new 3D Zelda and Mario games, we don't know if they will be released in the next 12 months. What we do know is that, in terms of games, E3 will be very exciting as in addition to Nintendo's own games, there is so much more to discover. We're thinking Bayonetta 2, Retro's new game plus the next title from Xenoblade Chronicles developer Monolith. There's just so much more to come from Nintendo's new console.

10. Injustice: Gods Among Us

Release date: April 2013

2013 is going to be a big year for DC comic fans. Not only do we have the release of the new Superman film Man Of Steel (Batman director Christopher Nolan is producing and has creative input) but Injustice: Gods Among is being released for Wii U. It is a beat 'em up starring the DC heroes such as Batman, Superman and Green Lantern plus villains including The Joker, Harley Quinn and Solomon Grundy. This isn't simply a game hoping to ride on the Batman bandwagon, however, as it's being developed by Mortal Kombat studio NetherRealm who released a fantastic reboot of Motal Kombat in 2011. Liked Tekken Tag Tournament 2? This is your next big Wii U beat 'em up.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. Retrogamerdude Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 09:20

I would have to disagree with the number 1 choice as I played Rayman origins and although very nice level design i found it very Samey and repetitive. Not a patch nsmb wii or u.

2. shy guy 64 Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 10:33

id say pikmin 3 is what im looking forward to the most

3. MartinIsAwesome Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 11:01

I have to agree with retrogamerdude. I know you guys on the mag are loving Rayman Legends but when I played a demo a few months ago it left me a bit cold. Since then I've had anoth chance to try it but got the same feeling from it. Aesthetically, it is brilliant and the music was great, but I just didn't find it fun at all.
    The rest of the list looks pretty sweet though (althoguh Injustice and Aliens won't be on my personal shopping list).

4. JaySuthEFC Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 11:22

I hope there will be more AAA games released at some point next year, fingers crossed

5. Mmmyeah Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 13:21

id say pikmin 3 is what im looking forward to the most

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Rayman Legends looks great but I have been looking forward to Pikmin 3 for so long now and it is almost here! I can't wait!

When I got a Wii U my thinking was that while ZombiU looked really good (and I am still enjoying playing it) I really wanted the console so that I could play Pikmin 3. And of course the inevitable Zelda and 3D Mario games that are on the way, along with Smash Bros. and the really exciting third party games we can look forward to.

6. epiclink Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 14:33

Pikmin 3, Scrbblenauts Unlimited and Injustice Gods among us!

7. King Slazo Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 15:12

Confirmed insane. Rayman Origins was the platformer of this generation. More originality, better design, better soundtrack, better artstyle and better multiplayer than any other 2D platformer, and arguably any platformer of the last generation fullstop. NSMB is mediocre (not even in comparison, the series is just so pitifully average by Nintendo's once lofty standards).

Legends is still the only reason I'd ever consider buying a Wii-U. Pikmin 3 I'm on the fence about, has the potential to be great but... this is the modern Nintendo we're talking about...

8. dave666 Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 15:55

for me it's injustice gods among us and ken's rage 2. Obviously I can't wait for zelda and mario HD,and I really,really want ports of RE6 and DOA5.

And please HVS software if you can hear me get busy on conduit 3

And sega if you can hear me I NEEEEEEEED VIRTUA FIGHTER 6

9. Xenobladeperson Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 16:11

Wonderful 101 higher on the list than MH3U.

What's wrong with you, ONM?

10. shadowlugia101 Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 16:28

am i the only one that thinks rayman legends is overrated? i mean, yeah the art style is nice but i didn't like the controls and the characters. it just felt like all this hype it's got left me underwhelmed

11. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 17:29

injustice gau - lego city - alien's cm and pikmin 3 all day 1 for me , the rest not so sure about ?

12. 08boatfg Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 18:21

i'm sorry, but jak and daxter is at least on par with mario...

13. WOLFENFTW Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 21:33

Origins was a good game but it was no where near as good as the other Rayman games. Rayman's real come back needs to be a Rayman 3 style platformer, only longer. That said I'm really looking forward to Legends, think it has lots of potential.

14. Herbert_Rarr Friday 28th Dec 2012 at 21:37

For me Pikmin 3 is one of the main reasons I bought the Wii U. Nintendo Land is very fun and I even enjoy some of the lower rated attractions (Octopus Dance is quirky and at least a little satisfying). I'm getting Rayman Legends and waiting for word on MK Wii U and SSB4.

15. lifetimegamer Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 00:15

Can't say a lot of that list is jumping out at me to be honest (don't get me wrong, they look fun but I doubt they will hold my attention). Hopefully Aliens ends up being great as I'm a huge fan of the movies, while Game and Wario will no doubt be a lot of fun at parties. The highlight for me however is Rayman Legends which is shaping up to be the greatest platformer of all time at this rate :D

16. monthehoops64 Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 10:08

Why did Bayonetta 2 not make this list?

17. 3DSRulesO.K Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 14:04

What is it with people saying that Nintendo is terrible nowadays, this is the same Nintendo that made Mario Galaxy 1&2, Smash Bros. Brawl, Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kid Icarus: Uprising! You can trust them!

18. 3DSRulesO.K Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 14:07

i'm sorry, but jak and daxter is at least on par with mario...

It's a brilliant platformer, but it's definetly not better than Mario i'm afraid.

19. King Slazo Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 14:18

I'll give you those.

Smash Bros. Brawl

Far inferior to Melee.

Skyward Sword

Yeah you can have that one too although I know some people would argue about it not being as good as OoT, MM or WW.

Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kid Icarus: Uprising!

Not played either, although I have DKCR lying around somewhere.

But then you look at the NSMB series (all mediocre), the new Paper Mario (disappointment of the year), SM3DL (again, not a patch on any of the other 3D Marios), MK7 (outclassed by MKDS), Super Pokémon Rumble (repetitive as hell)... yeah, Nintendo haven't been on top form as of late. They can make good games, its just a lot more hit and miss than the old Gamecube days.

20. Pyron12 Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 14:38

Smash Bros. Brawl

Far inferior to Melee.

There are quite a few people willing to disagree (myself for example).

Skyward Sword

MK7 is much better for online play but outclassed in single player (so you are half right with that statement). SM3DL is the best Mario game on the 3DS and I agree with the SPR statement. PMSS is unique and good but calling it the disappointment of the year is harsh and all but the first game in the NSMB series were mediocre. Some people are being too harsh about the controls for SS and SMG2 is just overrated.

21. TheVelvetRoom Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 17:49

If only Scribblenauts wasn't pushed back. I'm just bitter still that I can't even play my purchased PC copy. It's bad enough we're still suffering region locking in this day and age.

22. carnivine chaos Saturday 29th Dec 2012 at 20:16

Hurr durr Wii Fit is first party herp da derp Wii Fit U GON BE BESS GAM EVAR omg so good doin boring casual crap thats wut fun gamz r all abowt.

But otherwise I agree with Rayman Legends being number 1; The demo was great, the gameplay was fantastic like the original (don't fix what isn't broken, right?), the graphics were beautiful, the exploration is still there, finding all the extras, etc., I can see this being an amazing game, not just in the Rayman series, but games in general.

23. sonicka Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 09:44

Rayman Legends is bliss. It gave me a good feel for the real potential of the Wii U during my playtime with the Demo. A shame the guys watching me play were more surprised by how well the Graphics looked "for a Wii game".

Only thing is, despite it being a Nintendo Wii U exclusive (currently) I am still left incredibly disappointed that I'll never get to play this title for a few years until I finally bag myself the console. I'm still holding out for a multi-platform release later on down the line (you don't need to tell me it won't happen, I've heard - but you also know what companies are like). There's no doubt that the Wii U specific gameplay features make Rayman Legends mechanics feel fresher, but a stripped down port of those features can't do to much harm. I just wants to play my sequel to Origins in whatever manner possible.

To those saying Rayman Origins is not as good as the other Rayman games are also insane. I like to think Origins is what Ubisoft wanted to do with the Original Rayman, because the ideas are there - the art-style is still insane, but the controls and level design are well off. We know Rayman 2 was a great game, it's been ported 20 times, we know. But Rayman 3 should serve as a fine example of why they shouldn't go back to 3D Rayman games. Heck, they even abandoned Rayman 4 themselves halfway through development turning it into the Rabbids franchise instead. So I think it was marvelous for them to revisit their roots with newfound skills.

And to those saying Nintendo are still playing their A game? - They're not, they're sitting comfortably on the B Bench currently. Which is a shame. I'm was actually more surprised they didn't do for NSMBU what the Rayman team have worked on with their title considering it's their launch software for their own console. It's sort of shocking really - then again, it's not like any of the NSMB series have exactly set a standard. It's not the 1990's anymore Nintendo, we've moved on and you know you can do so much more too. Galaxy and Skyward Sword have proved you can actually achieve something with effort, so why not pour some love into your other franchises instead of taking the lazy "ain't broke don't fix" approach?

24. BattleGooseUK Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 10:34

Hmm, no Super Smash Bros? ... Hopefully NOT a 2014 release :(

25. ultra_slb Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 10:59

Monster Hunter for me.

Lego, and Wii Fit, seriously?..

Hopefully we will start to see some epic games on Wii U.. Like GTA V for example.
    I just hope the Wii U library doesn't go the same way the Wii did, we only had good games if they were Nintendo exclusives or just one or two really good games every 3/4 months.

26. ultra_slb Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 11:00

Hmm, no Super Smash Bros? ... Hopefully NOT a 2014 release :(

Don't get your hopes up for 2013 :(.

27. ThePokekid78 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 15:38

Surely this should be titled 'Most Highly Anticipated Wii U games of 2013?'.........

Anyway, my most anticipated games don't even exist yet: Metroid Prime 4 or Mass Effect Trilogy for Wii U will make me buy the console at any price...

28. Waldy565 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 16:09

a) No, Pikmin 3 is number 1
    b) Rayman Legends is also on Steam
    Apart from them 2 problems, they all sound awesome. Interests piqued by Wonderful 101 (?), Game and Wario, Wii Fit U and LEGO City: Undercover

29. King Slazo Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 16:19

b) Rayman Legends is also on Steamr

Rayman Origins is on Steam. Legends is a Wii-U exclusive sequel.

30. Waldy565 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 16:57

i'm sorry, but jak and daxter is at least on par with mario...

Yeah I love Jak and Daxter, all though I'm just sad Naughty Dog are version exclusive, as they're an amazing developer personally, what with Uncharted also... Sorry, I thought it was Legends, not Origins.

Yeah, I played a demo of Legends, definitely preferred Origins. I found Legends to be a bit gimmicky, and it was just nothing on what i've seen on NSMBU... I dunno, maybe I haven't played enough of it, but I can't say I'm completely attratcted to the idea of playing it...

31. Xenobladeperson Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 16:42

Hmm, no Super Smash Bros? ... Hopefully NOT a 2014 release :(

How did you possibly think it would be released in 2013. It'll be 2015 at the earliest, it's only just beginning development.

32. deKay Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 15:25

It's all about Pikmin, Scribblenauts and Rayman for me.

33. Shinnos Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 15:41

I played the Wii U demo of Rayman Legends the other day and have to say that while it looked amazing, I just didn't enjoy it that much to play.

Of this list, I'm probably looking forward to Lego City Stories the most. Fingers crossed that it turns out well.
    I need to hear more about Game And Wario before deciding how I feel about it. The game featured in the video didn't look that great...

34. Shinnos Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 15:43

...Of this list, I'm probably looking forward to Lego City Stories the most...

Oops! I meant Lego City Undercover...

35. CBTIRL Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 18:57

My top 5 most wanted
    5. A fully fledged FIFA
    4. NFS:Most Wanted
    3. Lego City Undercover
    2. Pikmin 3
    1. Rayman Legends

36. deKay Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 19:52

It was utterly fantastic. If you didn't come away from Castle Rock with a massive grin you're dead inside.

37. yoshimad Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 20:02

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate - the only reason I want to buy a Wii U...

38. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 12:04

As good as the premise is (and it was my favourite part of the demo), it still left me a bit cold. I played both as Rayman and Murphy and in both cases it just felt tame and uninvolving. I couldn't help but compare it to Bit.Trip Runner where timing is more crucial and the series of actions yo perform are more frantic. Also, for a stage where you are supposed to be constantly running when playing as Rayman, having to hold the B button was illogical and rather uncomfortable.
    And as much as I love Black Betty by Ram Jam, I just found the vocalisations annoying and I didn't like how it was edited down. In fact, had the whole song been used there could have been more room for some more complex rhythm-action elements.

39. deKay Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 13:49

You don't hold B to run - you hold ZR, which feels much better. Even though it's different to Mario.

That level is just one of many, anyway. I enjoyed a different music-based one at Eurogamer, and the platforming levels are at least as good as those in Origins, which was also great.

40. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 15:40

You don't hold B to run

You do on the Wii Remote, which is why it's so awkward.

41. deKay Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 16:10

Ew, playing it with the Wii Remote?

42. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 16:29

Well that is the only option given to you when playing a co-op demo.

43. deKay Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 20:52

Nah - that's the controller you give your "friends".

44. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 12:56

Doesn't change the fact that it's a dodgy set-up.

45. deKay Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 12:59

Not sure what else they could have done, given the lack of buttons.

46. MartinIsAwesome Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 14:02

A simple double-tap on the D-pad would have been preferable.

47. deKay Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 16:58

Maybe, but that would affect aiming for punches and stuff.

48. zeldamaster20 Saturday 5th Jan 2013 at 14:38

i disagree and agree on some things :( :(
    this is what i call a bad list {that sounds really bad but i reallly disagree}

49. KH81314 Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 17:16

The three Wii U games I want most are Monster Hunter, Pikmin , and Rayman in that particular order.

50. Nintendo4Ever Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 19:23

The games I most want to see this year are a new Zelda game and a sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising because I think it would work well on the Wii U, you could use the pad for the shooter segment and the TV for the fight segments.