Worst videogame box art of 2012

There have been some stinkers

You can't always judge a game by its cover. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 features probably the most boring box art for what is a truly explosive game. Even Boulder Dash XL 3D wasn't that bad, despite featuring the world's freakiest alien on its cover. Some, however, are a different matter. Here is the worst videogame box art of 2012.

Mensa Academy

Mensa Academy
Mensa Academy
Curious about your IQ? Even those with an mediocre IQ would struggle to come up with an answer as to why there is a knee-high elephant walking along the path towards the chap with the shiniest waistcoat in the world. Dreadful character art, too.

Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 19 20 Next page

Comments

1. Darkblizz Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 13:45

I wasn't even aware that some of these had been released.

2. Kesskuron Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 13:59

Don't really see what's wrong with a lot of these tbh

The Resi one is fine, as is Your Shape, Just Dance, Mensa, Firefighter, Fifa, MIB, Crush3d & TTT!; there's nothing wrong with any of them at all. The font on the Cats and Dogs one is pretty garish I'll give you that, but the picture itself is fine; it's going to appeal to the market it's aimed at. And the RCT3D one is massively exagerrated, hence why the track looks so skewed. Pretty sure most RCT covers have been similar.

3. RainbowGazelle Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 14:09

Wow, running out of ideas much. This is the most lazy, ridiculous article I've ever read on here. Pictures of mostly decent box art with literally one sentence below them. I take it you had one or two covers you didn't like and thought, "hey, we can make an article out of this if we come up with pathetic excuses to sully good covers." Try finding some actual bad covers first.

4. willz968 Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 14:41

I'm sorry but I have to agree, this is a pretty lazy article
    For the most part the box arts are fine and are by no means bad (I'll give you Firefighter 3D)
    And as for "Crush3d", why is it getting bashed for "shoehorning in" a 3? The game is called "Crush 3D" - a remake of the original "Crush"
    All I get is the feeling that someone saw Destructoid's article and wanted in on it, which may I add was also a lazy article composed of mostly boxart with nothing wrong

5. OrangeRakoon Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 15:16

I read the article, but 20 pages, really. There is one picture and barely a paragraph for every page. Please can you not combine them together and cut down on the number of pages? I get that you have more adverts seen the more pages you have, but you also need people to actually read the whole thing. I was so very close to giving up.

6. Dertdood Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 15:29

only 2 of these were actually bad and a couple were even good

come on onm

7. ultra_slb Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 15:29

This article is rediculous, there are plenty of good or just ok box arts. Resi is fine, Fifa has been more or less the same for like..... forever. anyway........ Write something worth it next time :P

8. Mew3 Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 15:31

Why didn't you put more than one image and sentence on a page? Also, half those covers weren't that bad.

9. Pyron12 Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 16:31

Have to disagree on at least half of them. Revelations is the best box art of 2012!

10. Lego master Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 17:58

I think these comments are a bit harsh...
    Although I like some of them and the descriptions could have been better, I still found this a fun article to read!

11. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 17:59

Not so much the box "art", but the blood-bag packaging for Zombi U is horrible.

12. faydaway Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 18:15

I like the COD box art but I see how you could find it boring but id like to use the word simple
    I also like the Professor Layton Box Arts I dont mind the puzzles on them
    I love Zombiu but the box art for that is pretty horendous

13. evilpinkdragon Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 18:33

Okay, seriously? One or two truly bad examples, and then just petty, irrelevant "reasons" for the rest of them, or no explanation at all. And as stated already, some genuinely great pieces of box art are here. sort it out ONM, these articles are getting embarrassing.

14. Xenobladeperson Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 19:21

This is one of the worst articles I've read on ONM in ages.

15. ThePokekid78 Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 19:21

You literally beat me to this comment!

It just seems so lazy of them...

16. TheVelvetRoom Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 19:48

Wow, what's with the insane backlash? Sure not all of these might look terrible to you, but they're all really weak designs. I'm still shocked they managed to make a worse, even tackier Arkham City cover than the GOTY Edition.

17. me4ndubz Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 19:54

I actually really like the resi box art. I don't see what your problem is with it

18. Mahzes Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 20:03

Wow, that Cats and Dogs one almost looks like it was photoshopped by a kid. D:

19. sciqueen Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 20:22

Whoa, when was Rollercoaster Tycoon released?!

20. Oocoo Jr. Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 21:30

I don't know what everyone's complaining about, I thought this was hilarious!

21. Crisps Thursday 20th Dec 2012 at 23:41

I see ONM is still question-mark-averse. Generally punctuation-averse, perhaps. Or, indeed, quality-averse. Poor show ONM, this is a shambles.

22. dunc247 Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 01:08

I don't know what everyone's complaining about, I thought this was hilarious!

Agree. Sure it was really picky in places, and yes I disagree with *some* of the choices - but many of the details you picked up on, whether being slightly satirical or not, really made me smile.

23. The_BAAD_Man Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 09:29

There is some serious nit-picking going on here. I've read some pretty dodgy articles on here but this one takes the biscuit.

I'm seeing some very petty reasons all round, and the attempted humour to me just seems patronising. This is the first time I've felt the urge to complain on here. Also, the 20 page, single image per-page articles are bothering everybody :?

24. samus_killer Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 11:26

Whoa, when was Rollercoaster Tycoon released?!

Back in October and it flew right under everyone's radar, mainly because it wasn't very good.

I've never seen it my local GAME or HMV, but I did see it once in Adsa.

25. CDS Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 13:09

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D was made by n-Space. What more do you expect?
    I can see what ONM are getting at with some of these, but more detail into why with some of them would have been good.

26. samus_killer Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 13:17

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D was made by n-Space. What more do you expect?

But they made Rugrats: Search for Reptar and Geist, and I liked those games. ):

27. Donkey Kong Jr. Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 17:58

20 pages u must be having a laugh

28. smash-brother Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 18:27

i am just shocked orcarina of time isn't on the list o wait that was last year :shock:

29. smash-brother Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 18:29

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D was made by n-Space. What more do you expect?

But they made Rugrats: Search for Reptar and Geist, and I liked those games. ):

don't forget heroes of ruin

30. MartinIsAwesome Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 19:14

Woah, woah, woah... what is wrong with OoT3D's box art?

31. MysteryVictini Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 16:25

Half of the content in this article is utter BS. Not to mention, they all have ridiculous reasons for looking "horrible".

And really? Miracle Mask's cover is on this list? Obviously you haven't seen the US cover yet, which has the professor looking like a guy with a pumpkin for a head with an awfully cheesy caption underneath.

32. CDS Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 17:09

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D was made by n-Space. What more do you expect?

But they made Rugrats: Search for Reptar and Geist, and I liked those games. ):

don't forget heroes of ruin

I meant just their DS games when I said that. I have nothing against their older games, but more recently they seem to have forgotten what making a game actually is about.

33. Bleachyleachy Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 18:12

Well Martin, someone (can't remember who) pointed out that OOT3D's box art is very flawed indeed. Take a look, on the box you can see Link riding Epona-

Hang on, look at her hooves. They appear to be cloven like a cows, yet horses do not have cloven hooves. How odd. Anyway, so you can see Link riding Epona away from Hyrule Castle-

Wait a moment, how is that possible? Link is clearly an adult, so the castle should be ruined and Ganon's Castle should be in its place. That's just silly. Still, moving on, you can see Link riding Epona away from Hyrule Castle as the sun rises over it and-

Stop, stop everything, if the sun is rising over the castle that must mean it is situated East, which is not the case. How is the sun rising over it when the castle is sitting in the North?

The whole thing is a giant mess, 2/10

34. MartinIsAwesome Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 10:22

But... it's so pretty!

35. KingoftheSocks Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 16:15

You think just dance scares you, look at messi's smile, no one can psychically smile that wide and that scarily, I'm always scared I'll wake up one day and see that face looming over me

36. Gapa Monday 24th Dec 2012 at 12:04

This is an awful article! You must seriously be running low on ideas, because I thought that most of this box art was actually fairly good (and, judging by the comments, most other people would agree with me). Why don't you try writing positive articles instead of trying to bring people down?

37. Yinyanreshiram Monday 24th Dec 2012 at 14:22

I really like the Resident Evil box art but your comment on it made me chuckle but in all honesty half of these box arts aren't even that bad.I have seen much,much more worse box arts than the ones you have listed.Also you could have fitted this whole artical in about three or four pages.It's not a gigantic issue but it became rather tiresome to click through 20 pages with only a picture and a few sentences beneath it.

38. Dalekbuster523 Thursday 27th Dec 2012 at 23:26

Personally,I think the Men In Black Alien Crisis videogame box art is pretty cool.